Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748

Thread: New York Islanders - 2013

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    I think you're right on this one. I understand why people are hard on Moulson and deservedly so but.....yes there is a but......the guy pots goals regularly. He might be painful too watch at times ( defensively in his own end comes to mind) but he scores. But I agree and think they'll move on from him this year. It will be a sad day for myself much like losing Streit but the timing would be right.
    I hear you and while I'm fairly hard on him, I certainly concede that his goals are not so readily replaced by someone else. 30 goals is 30 goals - even if you criticize him for his defense and soft play, 30 goals is not an accident.

But, the Isles are in a good spot - we still have him for this year. Let the full season be a tryout. If he steps up and shows he is deserving of a new contract, they certainly can afford it.

I just cringe thinking about signing him for long term, having him take up a roster spot for 4 years+ and the associated cap hit that comes along with it. He's the kind of guy who's performance can plummet very quickly.

And Strome seems to be that RW starting in 14' for the following 2 years at least (then, my guess is he takes over #2C), with Bailey on LW. And after a year at BP for Lee and the development of Kabanov, Sundstrom and Persson, I think the Isles will be set (enough) to bring up a LW. And that's assuming that PMB doesn't leave his mark and earn a new deal. That's certainly possible as well.

Just don't see a future for MM here. I'm not as bearish on AMac is you are, but I think our conclusion is the same. He's serviceable and stronger than he looks, but ultimately not a guy you want to shell out big bucks to when you have the guys we have coming up.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Not real happy with the Bailey signing and it's not because I don't like him as a player. It is because he never earned those type of years/ dollars. I understand why it was done especially if they have him on JTs wing all year.
    My main contention is, why not just let it play out for a one year deal in arbitration. This would be a prove it year, playing on the 1st line and he is still RFA next year.
    Now if he finally can play a more consistent game than this contract could be very good for the Isles. He still is young and improving as is the team, and a 25/40 season will silence me. But we'll see. I hope it works out for both parties but I still would have rolled the dice and given it another year.
    The fact that they could have signed him to a short term deal (and still had his rights) and signed him long term at least tells me that the team has confidence in him. Considering the Isles are pretty frugal, I'll take that as a belief that they think he can do that much more.

25 goals is a reasonable o/u, I'd say. Especially if he's playing on JT's wing.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hickey locked up for 2/1.35 mil total. Not my favorite player but overall I like the signing. He was a little streakish last year but he did have some good stretches as a rookie. I also think he might have a higher upside offensively and he will no doubt be playing this year. He just needs too learn how to not get the sh@t beat out of him everynight.
    Good hold the fort signing. Love the length of the contract more than anything else.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Moulson can come up with another 30 goals (not sure what line he'll end up on) I think the team will give him a nice offer and he'll stay. I was pleasantly surprised when he signed his last contract here, he just seems to like the team and doesn't across as a money first guy. He is buddies with with JT and his wife's family is from Greenwich CT, I wouldn't be surprised if he takes less than the biggest offer. I bet Wang ponies up - I'd say Moulson is probably the second most popular player with the fans. I'd really hate to lose him.

And I like the Hickey signing a lot.

As for Bailey. we're a better team with him, I don't care if he's overpaid. It's not as if his money will ever cause cap problems with Wang on board.
    Last edited by Timmy®; 07-19-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    If Moulson can come up with another 30 goals (not sure what line he'll end up on) I think the team will give him a nice offer and he'll stay. I was pleasantly surprised when he signed his last contract here, he just seems to like the team and doesn't across as a money first guy. He is buddies with with JT and his wife's family is from Greenwich CT, I wouldn't be surprised if he takes less than the biggest offer. I bet Wang ponies up - I'd say Moulson is probably the second most popular player with the fans. I'd really hate to lose him.

And I like the Hickey signing a lot.

As for Bailey. we're a better team with him, I don't care if he's overpaid. It's not as if his money will ever cause cap problems with Wang on board.
    The lines come opening day will be interesting. I've assumed that Bailey will be on JT's LW. Of course, that's hardly written in stone. We basically know who will be on the Top 2 lines (although I guess Strome v. PMB is a potential battle) - its just a matter of who plays 1LW.

If Moulson scores 30 goals on the 2nd Line, I'd give Timmy's middle nut to re-sign him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fellas, can anyone add some insight into why the Isles can't stay in the Coliseum after it's redone by Ratner or whomever has the winning bid? It's insane to me that they're going to finally refurbish the Coliseum yet we are still losing our team to friggin Brooklyn!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Fellas, can anyone add some insight into why the Isles can't stay in the Coliseum after it's redone by Ratner or whomever has the winning bid? It's insane to me that they're going to finally refurbish the Coliseum yet we are still losing our team to friggin Brooklyn!
    Its being refurbished into a 9k (or less) arena. If they wanted to refurbish it for purposes of using it for an NHL team, it would cost a helluva lot more.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Good piece on the Isles prospects. He has them rated as the 2nd best in the League. Just a wealth of talent on the Blue Line. Would be nice to have a goalie in the top 15 but other than that, not much to complain about.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1570

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Good piece on the Isles prospects. He has them rated as the 2nd best in the League. Just a wealth of talent on the Blue Line. Would be nice to have a goalie in the top 15 but other than that, not much to complain about.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1570
    Good article and it really does hit home with the depth we have in these young guys. Some of the rankings seem a little off to me like having DeHaan that high. I mean when was the last time he was even able too finish a season? The guy is also listed at 180 so it looks like he has not added much muscle since his draft year and I just can't see how he's going to hold up for an nhl season. Donovan over him is a no-brainer.

Pulock over Reinhart. That is an interesting one and I get it. If you can consider Reinhart your number 2 prospect, well that just speaks volumes about this blueline. My real darkhorse is Pedan and I don't see why he isn't rated higher, even ahead of Mayfield. He is a big nasty dman who can skate, shoot, and he sure brings the muscle. Not to mention that every year he seems too improve significantly.

I was thinking of getting the ahl package this year but last I checked it runs $300 for a ****ty feed. Oh well......decisions.....decisions.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets see if I can get this right. Pedans highlights.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Wr8G8XS1bsY

How the hell can I embed the video here? Technically challenged but the link works.
    Last edited by RobR; 08-23-2013 at 09:26 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets see if I can get this right. Pedans highlights.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Wr8G8XS1bsY

How the hell can I embed the video here? Technically challenged but the link works.
    You just have to hit the video icon and paste the url of the video.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mucho gracias amigo. Now we get to watch Pedan one more time

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    NHL.com doing a few pieces on the Isles 2013-14 today.

www.nhl.com.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Good article and it really does hit home with the depth we have in these young guys. Some of the rankings seem a little off to me like having DeHaan that high. I mean when was the last time he was even able too finish a season? The guy is also listed at 180 so it looks like he has not added much muscle since his draft year and I just can't see how he's going to hold up for an nhl season. Donovan over him is a no-brainer.

Pulock over Reinhart. That is an interesting one and I get it. If you can consider Reinhart your number 2 prospect, well that just speaks volumes about this blueline. My real darkhorse is Pedan and I don't see why he isn't rated higher, even ahead of Mayfield. He is a big nasty dman who can skate, shoot, and he sure brings the muscle. Not to mention that every year he seems too improve significantly.

I was thinking of getting the ahl package this year but last I checked it runs $300 for a ****ty feed. Oh well......decisions.....decisions.
    I would probably flip Donovan and De Haan and perhaps tweak a few others - but its mostly splitting hairs. If DeHaan can stay healthy, his upside is probably slightly higher than Donovan's. But, that's hardly a given. And Donovan has proven to be one of the best AHL Dmen in the past 2 years so its logical to think he can step in and succeed right away in the big time - So not sure why CdH would be over him.

Pedan and Mayfield? I can't really say. I've seen snippets of both but not enough to really make my own mind as to which one is better. Best part is that these guys will be in BP this year and whoever earns it, earns it. Not sure if Ville Pokka will be in BP this year or if he's still staying in Finland. I believe he can play in the AHL as he didn't play in CHL but I wonder if he's going to stay over there until he has a legit shot at the NHL. Ideally I'd love all these kids to grow through the system together.

Will be interesting to see where Reinhart's value goes as he goes through his last season in Juniors as the stud Dman. Pulock also has only one more year - after that, they both graduate to the big boys in one way or another. And if they both even take one year at BP, not the end of the world either.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    NHL.com doing a few pieces on the Isles 2013-14 today.

www.nhl.com.
    Thanks for the heads up but the guy didn't even know how too pronounce Hamonics name. All that tells me is the guy don't know jack **** about the Isles.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I would probably flip Donovan and De Haan and perhaps tweak a few others - but its mostly splitting hairs. If DeHaan can stay healthy, his upside is probably slightly higher than Donovan's. But, that's hardly a given. And Donovan has proven to be one of the best AHL Dmen in the past 2 years so its logical to think he can step in and succeed right away in the big time - So not sure why CdH would be over him.

Pedan and Mayfield? I can't really say. I've seen snippets of both but not enough to really make my own mind as to which one is better. Best part is that these guys will be in BP this year and whoever earns it, earns it. Not sure if Ville Pokka will be in BP this year or if he's still staying in Finland. I believe he can play in the AHL as he didn't play in CHL but I wonder if he's going to stay over there until he has a legit shot at the NHL. Ideally I'd love all these kids to grow through the system together.

Will be interesting to see where Reinhart's value goes as he goes through his last season in Juniors as the stud Dman. Pulock also has only one more year - after that, they both graduate to the big boys in one way or another. And if they both even take one year at BP, not the end of the world either.
    Good call On Pokka and I just don't know what he can bring because admittedly I am not able too see much of his play. I really doubt we see him in NA this year and I'm fine with that given his age. But if you read some of the comments about him in that article on nhl.com (thanks BigL) he seems like a serious prospect. I always like when they make the jump too the NA rink and I hope he can adjust to it.

Again ......and I know we've said this in the past, but this Isles blueline prospect pool is almost unfair. It is so deep that if even more than 50% of them bust we are still loaded. There are 30 teams in the NHL and we have the best Dman prospect pool in the NHL and I don't think any hockey indsiders will argue it.

And I like Pedan because I believe he is a plus player at every aspect of hockey. Can't wait too see the BST this year because of the caliber of play they will ice every night as compared to last season. Strome, Nelson, Lee, Pedan, Mayfield, and Kabanov could potentially being in their opening line-up. I hope that is not the case, but it is possible.

And I want what this team needs the most(OK I can argue the goalie thing) is a physical Dman that can play hockey. I want a team built for playoff hockey which is an entirely different beast than the regular season.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone needs to start the 2013-2014 thread. Training camp is right around the corner and we'll be playing in Brooklyn in 3 weeks.