Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders - 2013

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'm planning on taking my boys on Sunday. By then, either we'll have renewed momentum after playing well (and hopefully snagging some points) against the best in the East or we will be sinking rapidly into the abyss.
    I trust you'll bring the banner, then.

Haven't seen a score tonight, but I see a loss tonight, and then a possible win vs. Pitt, cuz Pitt will have won 12 in a row at that point, and will sleep walk thru the Isles game.

All League
    The bad news - it's the third period.

The good news - they don't have a lead to blow.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

To paraphrase Howie, "At a certain point, is it really bad luck?"

Time to dump the Head Coach. Now. Before it is too late.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    To paraphrase Howie, "At a certain point, is it really bad luck?"

Time to dump the Head Coach. Now. Before it is too late.
    Another 3 goals allowed in the third. How many have they allowed now in the third? Has to lead the league, by FAR.

Well we had a little taste of success at the end of their last home stand. A tease. Now they're back to el sucko grande at home.

All League
    Two more goals allowed in the third.

Not saying they would have won, but the Pitt goal and the end of the second was as soft as a pile of feathers. Nabby is like Sanchez. The best chance to win, but clearly not the best.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Another 3 goals allowed in the third. How many have they allowed now in the third? Has to lead the league, by FAR.

Well we had a little taste of success at the end of their last home stand. A tease. Now they're back to el sucko grande at home.
    47 3rd period goals allowed through 31 games -- most in the league. Its hard to win consistently when you give up an average of 1.5 goals in the 3rd period.

This has been a frustrating team to root for.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

At least they beat who they should beat tonight, although this Florida team played the Devils and Rags tough, so it's never a no-doubter. Nice to see the Isles grabbing the empty netters this time around.

Decent crowd tonight too. Most sections were pretty full.

I'll be there 4/13 to watch my blue shirts play the fish sticks at the mausoleum. Hopefully it's a great game with both teams having something to play for now....the 8 seed haha.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Isles "improve" to 6-11-2 at HOME.

Worst home record in the NHL, by a wide margin.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Isles "improve" to 6-11-2 at HOME.

Worst home record in the NHL, by a wide margin.
    thankfully they have only 5 games at home remaining.

All League
    thankfully they have only 5 games at home remaining.
    I didn't see your banner yesterday...

I think yesterdays win really only means the Isles are a, at best, middle of the pack team. Can't beat the big guys, can beat the bottom feeders.

They might not finish in the bottom 5, but probably will finish in bottom 10.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I think yesterdays win really only means the Isles are a, at best, middle of the pack team. Can't beat the big guys, can beat the bottom feeders.

Funny you say that....I had an infuriating interaction with my 5 year old. He wanted to make a sign for the game - great I said. I'd like him to work on his drawing and stuff as opposed to just walking around with a hockey stick and make that god-awful siren sound every time he scores a goal.

So, I pick up some poster board and he only wants to make a sign that says "Orange and Blue, This One's For You!" Now, I have no idea WTF that means - I think he saw it on an Isles commericial at some point - but I say fine - its his sign. But then he only wants to have it on one line - he refuses to let it spill over to the next line and fill up the entire poster. We try to patiently explain to him that no one will be able to see his sign and wouldn't it be better if we wrote out "Lets Go Islanders!"? He doesn't care. He breaks down in a fit and wants to make his sign his way or he's not going to the game. Go ahead, do what you want.

He proceeds to write out - in his 5 yr old chicken scratch - that slogan and stands triumphantly over it and says "See Dad - I told you it would fit. Admit you're wrong!" It looked ridiculous. All you can see is some orange and blue writing at the very top of this poster and its otherwise blank. If you were further than 5 ft away, you'd think this cute kid all decked out in a too big Isles jersey was holding a blank sign. Knowing him, he'd probably insist on holding it up and blocking people behind him (with a pretty much blank sign) all throughout the game.

Thankfully, he forgot it in the car.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

At this point, all they need is to make the playoffs. If they do that, its an accomplishment. They are a young team, for the most part, and have some talent coming up, they need to get to the first step and build from there.

This is Tavares' 4th season with the Isles and he hasn't made the playoffs yet. If they have any hope of building the franchise around him for the next 10+ years, they need to start moving forward. Losing him would be devastating.

All League
    Funny you say that....I had an infuriating interaction with my 5 year old. He wanted to make a sign for the game - great I said. I'd like him to work on his drawing and stuff as opposed to just walking around with a hockey stick and make that god-awful siren sound every time he scores a goal.

So, I pick up some poster board and he only wants to make a sign that says "Orange and Blue, This One's For You!" Now, I have no idea WTF that means - I think he saw it on an Isles commericial at some point - but I say fine - its his sign. But then he only wants to have it on one line - he refuses to let it spill over to the next line and fill up the entire poster. We try to patiently explain to him that no one will be able to see his sign and wouldn't it be better if we wrote out "Lets Go Islanders!"? He doesn't care. He breaks down in a fit and wants to make his sign his way or he's not going to the game. Go ahead, do what you want.

He proceeds to write out - in his 5 yr old chicken scratch - that slogan and stands triumphantly over it and says "See Dad - I told you it would fit. Admit you're wrong!" It looked ridiculous. All you can see is some orange and blue writing at the very top of this poster and its otherwise blank. If you were further than 5 ft away, you'd think this cute kid all decked out in a too big Isles jersey was holding a blank sign. Knowing him, he'd probably insist on holding it up and blocking people behind him (with a pretty much blank sign) all throughout the game.

That's one of those times you just nod your head and smie. Gotta pick your battles - that's not one worth fighting!

I haven't had to make signs yet, but in the past three weeks, I've made 2 small hockey goals, a replica stanley cup, a small score board, and drawn a hockey rink on an old crib sheet complete with a Bears (my sons pretend hockey team) logo at center ice. I'll take a picture if I can remember.

Sweet Jesus, the shlt we do as parents....

All League

With autographed Ricky D puck. Now worthless. And not because we've been sliding it across the floor.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Best post of the offseason.

Hall Of Fame
    At this point, all they need is to make the playoffs. If they do that, its an accomplishment.
    they are lucky to be still alive after the first three games last week. odds are slim though, there are five or six teams close to that eighth seed. i just don't see them making it. even if it came down to the last couple of games, they'd crap themselves like they always do when the pressure is on.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    they are lucky to be still alive after the first three games last week. odds are slim though, there are five or six teams close to that eighth seed. i just don't see them making it. even if it came down to the last couple of games, they'd crap themselves like they always do when the pressure is on.
    Actually it is no surprise they are still in it. The 10 or 11 bottom teams in the East are not very good.

Given the disparity in pay roll, the Rangers have more splainin to do than the Islanders.

Hall Of Fame
    Actually it is no surprise they are still in it. The 10 or 11 bottom teams in the East are not very good.

Given the disparity in pay roll, the Rangers have more splainin to do than the Islanders.
    they got a must win. force caps further back and Isles don't fall four behind Rangers. very nice.

Rangers have a game in hand...plus will win tonight....playoffs still very bleak...