Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders - 2013

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Yeah, but that Luongo scenario discussed in that article intrigues me.
    Didn't Luongo not want to play here? And if I recall correctly, he wasn't exactly good when he was here. Not that that matters now, just that I can't imagine him as a good Isles goalie.

Not sure I'd want him back in an Isles uni.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Yeah, but that Luongo scenario discussed in that article intrigues me.
    Luongo's contract is worse than Ricky's. He could play at a high level for a few years, I'm sure, but I don't think the organization would want that kind of headache.

There seem to be a number of different options that could complement Nabby (or, the other way around hopefully) that they don't have to enmesh the team in Luongo complications - both from a personnel and financial perspective.

I'd take Ryan Miller over Luongo. Ditto a whole bunch of other guys.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You guys are probably right, but if it didn't cost us a blue chip, I'll swap the DP headache for the Luongo headache in a heartbeat. We could be good and lucky enough to win a Stanley Cup while he still has something in the tank.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Luongo's contract is worse than Ricky's. He could play at a high level for a few years, I'm sure, but I don't think the organization would want that kind of headache.

There seem to be a number of different options that could complement Nabby (or, the other way around hopefully) that they don't have to enmesh the team in Luongo complications - both from a personnel and financial perspective.

I'd take Ryan Miller over Luongo. Ditto a whole bunch of other guys.
    Wasn't Luongos contract the reason he wasn't dealt at the deadline this year? No team wanted to take it on?

All Pro
    I don't want to see Luongo in NY. Last 3 years, his goals against has increased each year and save percentage has dropped each year. We don't need two aging goalies whose best years are behind them.

I am not sure who else is out there, but hopefully there will be another option.

All League
    Besides Poulin, any Isle goalie prospects in the pipeline? And don't say DP .

Who else was playing in Bridgeport?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Besides Poulin, any Isle goalie prospects in the pipeline? And don't say DP .

Who else was playing in Bridgeport?
    There are 2....Nillson and Koskinen. Nillson had some weird disease that set him back a year. Might be better player than Poulin.

All Pro
    There are 2....Nillson and Koskinen. Nillson had some weird disease that set him back a year. Might be better player than Poulin.
    Seems like Nillson might be a good NHL prospect, but still a year away. From Hockeysfuture.com:

"Talent Analysis

A huge goaltender that is technically skilled. Nilsson has good hockey smarts plays with calmness and has good mental strength. Challenges the shooters and has been very consistent during his career, rarely having bad games. Furthermore, he is athletic and quite agile.

Future

Nilsson projects as a number one goaltender in the NHL after another full season of playing hockey in North America."

All Pro
    Here is their summary of Koskinen:

"Talent Analysis

Koskinen’s greatest asset is his size, which he uses to seemingly fill the entire net and he covers a lot of space in the butterfly. He is inexperienced in terms of the number of games played and has not had a lot of international experience – excelling in the SM-Liiga where he ordinarily does not see the booming slapshots or accurate snipers more common in North America. Still learning as a goaltender, he must work to improve his quickness and foot speed. Very good at anticipating chances and setting himself to limit scoring opportunities. Quality teammate who has earned the respect of the veteran players in Espoo.

Future

Koskinen has left Bridgeport to return back to the Finnish Elite League."

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Seems like Nillson might be a good NHL prospect, but still a year away. From Hockeysfuture.com:

"Talent Analysis

A huge goaltender that is technically skilled. Nilsson has good hockey smarts plays with calmness and has good mental strength. Challenges the shooters and has been very consistent during his career, rarely having bad games. Furthermore, he is athletic and quite agile.

Future

Nilsson projects as a number one goaltender in the NHL after another full season of playing hockey in North America."
    And I think he's only 22-23 which, for a goalie, is pretty young still. Seems like those guys take longer to develop.

So, going after a HTFG to go along with Nabby isn't a terrible idea and then see if one of the three guys that are developing have what it takes to start in this league.

I remember reading the other day that Ray Emery was a FA. He's a guy that's been around, wouldn't cost much and has the ability to split time with Nabby. If the Isles didn't want to go the high(er) priced FA like Khudobin, or spend assets on a guy like Bernier, I'd give Emery a look see.

All Pro
    And I think he's only 22-23 which, for a goalie, is pretty young still. Seems like those guys take longer to develop.

So, going after a HTFG to go along with Nabby isn't a terrible idea and then see if one of the three guys that are developing have what it takes to start in this league.

I remember reading the other day that Ray Emery was a FA. He's a guy that's been around, wouldn't cost much and has the ability to split time with Nabby. If the Isles didn't want to go the high(er) priced FA like Khudobin, or spend assets on a guy like Bernier, I'd give Emery a look see.
    I would love to see a guy like Emery with the Isles. He is a UFA after the season and I don't think the Hawks will re-sign him with Crawford emerging as a true #1. Plus he is only 30.

All League
    Not the best way to start the offseason

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 19 Jun
    Nino Niederreiter has declined to attend prospect camp this year. Players are required to attend 3x, choose to attend after that. #Isles
    Collapse Reply Retweet Favorite More

Hall Of Fame
    Bernier to Leafs. Son of a b!tch.

Didn't go for as much as I thought he would. Isles could have done better than this.
    Last edited by Timmy®; 06-23-2013 at 06:54 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Bernier to Leafs. Son of a b!tch.

Didn't go for as much as I thought he would. Isles could have done better than this.
    I dunno.....a second rounder plus a young guy like Frattin AND a decent backup goalie is a pretty big price tag. The Isles don't have a 2nd rounder and I'm not sure what NHL ready guy you'd want to part with....Casey Cizikas? That would suck. I'm not sure if they would have even taken the Isles first round pick over the Leafs package. Doesn't sound like it.

Worst part of this deal is that LA got a cheap 2 players which may help them keep Scuderi.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Snow trades Nino for Clutterbuck.

Wow. I really hope Nino is a complete bust because this feels like a panic trade to me. Is Millbury back in charge?

Hall Of Fame
    Was hoping for Zadorov, don't know much about Pulock but I like those devestating hits they showed in his video. Guy seems like a monster.

Sucks the Devils got the goalie and Buffalo is having a nice draft (got Zadorov).

All League
    Snow trades Nino for Clutterbuck.

Wow. I really hope Nino is a complete bust because this feels like a panic trade to me. Is Millbury back in charge?
    See my earlier post. The writing was on the wall and Garths hands were tied. I don't like it from a value standpoint but it was clear this kid was never going to play for the Isles and the rest of the GMs knew this. Tough trade but it's better we move on from him now.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Was hoping for Zadorov, don't know much about Pulock but I like those devestating hits they showed in his video. Guy seems like a monster.

Sucks the Devils got the goalie and Buffalo is having a nice draft (got Zadorov).
    Love the Pulock pick. This kid was rated much higher earlier in the process and played through injuries this year. Got decent size and maybe the best shot of any blueliner in the draft. An offensive Dman who can bring a little snarl. I like it.
    I also feel like he'll be ready sooner rather than later and this Isles blueline is shaping up too be absolutely nasty in a few years. Nasty

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Love the Pulock pick. This kid was rated much higher earlier in the process and played through injuries this year. Got decent size and maybe the best shot of any blueliner in the draft. An offensive Dman who can bring a little snarl. I like it.
    I also feel like he'll be ready sooner rather than later and this Isles blueline is shaping up too be absolutely nasty in a few years. Nasty
    He seems like a nice complement to the young. DMen we already have. He's the puck moving offensive minded guy to go with Reinhart (and others) who are more stay at home.

Plus, he's a righty, which we need.

Not complaining. Nino? I was hoping it wasn't as bad as it seemed, but he wanted out and the CS and FO simply hated him.....especially Weight.

Hall Of Fame
    3rd round pick is 5'7 150 lbs