Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders - 2013

All League
    Any of yous see the Bruins game? Wow.

If you're a Bruins fan, that'd be a game you'd remember for life.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post

Jets..Cubs...Maple Leafs - the cursed teams.

There are other teams that lose all the time...but these teams lose in a different manner.

Supernatural....possibluh Satan.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Unbelievable. I was mostly watching the Rags game, but that got boring and I switched it over to the Bs right when they made it 4-2...figured I'd see how that one went down.

The last 10 minutes were exciting, even if it looked like they wouldn't get any closer - Lucic (who might be my favorite non-Islander) was tossing people around and they were buzzing. Still, 2 goals in the last 90 seconds - and they should have had a great chance for a 3rd? Didn't see that coming.

I can't imagine the Leafs lockerroom during OT. It must have been like a funeral.

Not really a fan of any of the 4 teams left in the East though the Bruins are a much tougher opponent for the Rags, so I'll take that. But then we'll have to hear about Boston non-stop and no one wants to hear that.

Ultimately, a Pens/Hawks Cup Final would be nice as it would pit the clear top 2 teams against each other.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Jets..Cubs...Maple Leafs - the cursed teams.

There are other teams that lose all the time...but these teams lose in a different manner.

Supernatural....possibluh Satan.
    The Leafs have won the Cup 11 times, but not since the last season before expansion, not exactly cursed.

Maybe its payback for the way they shamelessly used to shoehorn fans into the old Gardens and other exploitations/scandals

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Ultimately, a Pens/Hawks Cup Final would be nice as it would pit the clear top 2 teams against each other.
    Hawks in 5.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    The Leafs have won the Cup 11 times, but not since the last season before expansion, not exactly cursed.
    Yeah a good run, if you're 70 years old. Even the Jets have won since.

Hall Of Fame
    Ever read an article where a writer just phrases something in brilliant fashion?

"When asked how they feel about the move, every Islander fan has the same reaction. It will be tough to see the team vacate the tragically misunderstood Nassau Coliseum, but at the same time the move will be good for the team and they will be able to compete."

omg perfect. i hadn't been there in many years, and once I left the concourse and walked into the bowl i was just stunned. magical. i shouldn't have gone back, now I want to go to multiple games. i seem more torn up about it than you guys.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Ever read an article where a writer just phrases something in brilliant fashion?

"When asked how they feel about the move, every Islander fan has the same reaction. It will be tough to see the team vacate the tragically misunderstood Nassau Coliseum, but at the same time the move will be good for the team and they will be able to compete."

omg perfect. i hadn't been there in many years, and once I left the concourse and walked into the bowl i was just stunned. magical. i shouldn't have gone back, now I want to go to multiple games. i seem more torn up about it than you guys.
    Like most, I'm conflicted. The sight lines are as good as any in professional sports, the place rocks like no other during the playoffs and I never have a problem getting in and out. You can actually duck outside for a smoke, piss a drink or some quick fresh air in the biergarden or smoking pens. Rudimentary, perhaps, but perfect for the specific needs.

On the flip side, when I was at the game the other day, I thought I had bad luck and had a broken seat. It extended too low, the coils came through and it creaked endlessly. Turns out, every one of our seats was like that. Plus, we have the worst ice in the league as the condensers don't work, the concession areas are over-crowded to the point of it being dangerous, the bathrooms are woefully inadequate, the place is ridden with asbestos and is a leaky, rundown dump. And the Isles lease is terrible.

But, like the Meadowlands, its a fantastic place to watch a game. For me personally, it will be a LOT easier to get to games in Brooklyn so that benefits me, specifically. But, I would have happily kept going out to Uniondale (albeit not as frequently) if they ended up with a new stadium there.

At the end of the day though, the Coliseum was on its last legs. We all have great memories and sentimental attachments to it (it captures the essence of LI completely), but it is simply not sustainable in the long run. The Isles improving is a double edge sword. The Coliseum is manageable when there is 11.5k people attending a Sunday afternoon game. Its cheap and you don't have to worry about getting knocked over. But, cram 16.2K in there, and it can be dangerous.

Nothing stays the same, unfortunately. Going to Barclays won't be the same as going to the Coliseum...for sure. Just as Met Life is a neutered version of the Meadowlands. I just try not to lose sight of the fact that this team very easily could be moving to KC in two years. And I'm grateful that its not the case.

Hall Of Fame
    But, cram 16.2K in there, and it can be dangerous.
    I still can't believe it holds 16.2k. I would have guessed 10 or 11k.

Doesn't Barclays hold 16k? I bet the top seats will be much higher.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I still can't believe it holds 16.2k. I would have guessed 10 or 11k.

Doesn't Barclays hold 16k? I bet the top seats will be much higher.
    In its present configuration, Barclays holds less - like 14.5 or so, which is mostly on account of not having seats on one end - its shaped like a horse shoe for hockey. I haven't followed this all that closely but I believe there is talk of putting in additional seating for the Isles.

All League
    Pretty cool - isles, devils, and rangers will play at Yankee stadium next year. From NHL.com

The 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series will see the three New York City metropolitan NHL teams play a pair of games at the home of the New York Yankees. The New York Rangers will face the New Jersey Devils at 12:30 p.m. ET on Jan. 26, 2014, and the Rangers will face the New York Islanders at 7:30 p.m. ET on Jan. 29, 2014

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Just saw Matt Moulson was nominated for the Lady Byng trophy. Congrats Matty!

I think

All League
    Just saw Matt Moulson was nominated for the Lady Byng trophy. Congrats Matty!

I think
    Pierre Turgeon was a Lady Byng winner.

All Pro
    So, we have a Lady Byng nominee and a Hart nominee. Great to see the Isles getting some recognition, but when do we get a Conn Smythe nominee?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Pierre Turgeon was a Lady Byng winner.
    So was Mike Bossy - a multiple time winner, I think. I just think that Moulson got the nod here because he's so friggin soft and that translates to "He must be a gentleman". And he may well be, but it would be nice if he was less of a gentleman, didn't avoid contact so much and played with a little more grit. Doesn't mean be dirty, but don't act like your allegeric to contact.

Bossy was a finesse player and constantly absorbed hit after hit to the point where he had to retire on account of his back. Why do I think Moulson will play til he's very old?

It seems like one of the criteria is to be a legit scorer with very few penalty minutes - Moulson had 4 this year. I'm not so sure that that's always a good thing. While I don't want Tavares to get into scraps (and he probably needs a Gillies-esque winger to have his back), I don't mind that Tavares occasionally takes a penalty - the dude is ultracompetitive and wants to be involved in everything. Moulson, OTOH, stays away and half the time isn't even in the relative area to hook a guy if he wanted to. I know they play different positions and have different responsibilities, but Moulson is a one dimensional player.

All League

Nino Niederreiter

Nino had a good showing at the World Championship-

The Islanders’ Nino Niederreiter finished the tournament with five goals and eight points in 10 games, including a goal and assist against the United States to send Switzerland to the final against Sweden.

more- http://islanderspointblank.com/prosp...ond-at-worlds/

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Nino had a good showing at the World Championship-

The Islanders’ Nino Niederreiter finished the tournament with five goals and eight points in 10 games, including a goal and assist against the United States to send Switzerland to the final against Sweden.

more- http://islanderspointblank.com/prosp...ond-at-worlds/
    Best case scenario is that Nino, Nelson, Strome and Lee make it really ****ing hard on Snow as to who makes the big club come September.

Hopefully Nino (and his agent) will keep him mouth shut, work hard and become the guy we all think/hope he could be. Having a determined guy with his skill and size on JT's wing would be fantastic.

Hall Of Fame
    Best case scenario is that Nino, Nelson, Strome and Lee make it really ****ing hard on Snow as to who makes the big club come September.

Hopefully Nino (and his agent) will keep him mouth shut, work hard and become the guy we all think/hope he could be. Having a determined guy with his skill and size on JT's wing would be fantastic.
    one thing I like about Snow is that he doesn't care what anybody thinks, he does what he thinks is best for the team. let Ninio and his agent b*tch in the press, he's dealt with that before.

after a rough start (I think Snow was around for the Ryan Smyth debacle) I think he has done a hell of a job

All League
    Yes!!!

All Pro
    Newsday reporting that Streit will not be back for next season:

Newsday
    "Mark Streit won't return to Islanders

Mark Streit is still a month away from unrestricted free agency, but two sources have already told Newsday that the Islanders' captain will not return to the team next season."