Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders - 2013

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyahay bus View Post
    Don't get cocky.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Ya know what, the fault for that scrum is 50/50. With a 2 goal lead, there's really no reason for Martin to be down there mixing it up with 2 seconds left. I think he was trying to avoid the icing, which is fine, but he didn't let up. Knowing who he is and what he was doing as well as how frustrated they were, its not surprising that the Pens put a body on him and it wasn't like he was skating away.
    I disagree. Martin was hit from behind by a second Penguins player as he was falling. THAT was the reason for the scrum. There was no need for the second Penguins guy to hit him at the buzzer.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    I disagree. Martin was hit from behind by a second Penguins player as he was falling. THAT was the reason for the scrum. There was no need for the second Penguins guy to hit him at the buzzer.
    Oh, I agree on that part. It was Iginla (who hit him first) and I forget who hit him from behind - a quasi cheap shot (but nothing too crazy).

But, Martin was down there stirring sh!t. If it was the other way around and Martin was on defense on a team that was about to lose an emotional game, he would have hit the guy as well. As well he should have.

Bottom line, its hockey. I like that Martin went down there to mix it up, and I don't begrudge the Pens for taking liberties - if they were my team, I'd be pissed if they didn't.

And, with 30 seconds left, when my wife asked me should we go....I paused and said - lets stay, there's going to be some fireworks (she was confused, b/c she thought there would literally be fireworks), and they didn't disappoint.

One thing I forgot to mention - not sure if they showed this on the broadcast....In the third period, when it was getting chippy (can't remember if it was tied or the Isles had the lead), Cooke and Carkner were mixing it up. Carkner starts skating towards him - Cooke shakes his gloves to Cark basically asking him if he wants to drop'em. Its clear that Cooke was trying to goad Carkner into a penalty because there is NO WAY that Cooke is going to fight Carkner at that point - he would get killed and the crowd would be in a frenzy.

Good on Cark for not taking the bait....I'm sure he wanted some revenge for Cooke absolutely destroying him leading up to the Sutter goal.

I like Cooke. He's the kind of guy you like....when he's on your team.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not the most Offensive-minded Dman in the world (yet), but he's very very solid. And has been in Malkin's mug all series. And he's just 22. The Isles Blue Line needs some upgrades, but any future pairings always include #3.
    Kunitz should have gotten a 3rd man in, by the way Iginla started the whole thing, all of a sudden he's a tough guy, because he's playing on the NHL's version of the Miami Heat...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Loved when Martin wouldn't let that dick Cooke on his bench

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a fantastic game. The Coliseum is like no other place when it is rocking. The chants at the beginning of the game were as seamless as Help -->Slip--->Frank....one going right into another. There were signs all around the Coliseum on 8" x 11" paper saying "NO DIVING"...."That means you Princess Crosby" in small letters.

If the Isles lost that game in the 3rd, I'm not sure the refs or the Penguins would have gotten out alive. It seemed ready to boil over. I did a quick re-watch of the game and while there were some calls that were overlooked, they were not nearly as egregious as they appeared at full speed. After one specific missed call, a bottle came flying from the stands onto the ice. That one was at least partially full and had some momentum. A few others followed to the point where they made an announcement that the Isles could be penalized if it continues.

If the Pens came back and won, it would have been bedlam. I'm not sure what the phenomenom is at the Coliseum, but bottle throwing is fairly acceptable. I heard Howie commenting on it that security probably has that person already thrown out of the building. Yeah right - I'm not sure a Yellow Coat actually moved. There were a few Penguin fans there, and if it got ugly, it would be a long while til something was broken up.

Nabby finally made a legit save on Kunitz in the 3rd period. Other than that, this thing was a free for all. The Isles had chances that Fleury stopped but those were more incidental than anything. He looked soooo shaky. Any word on whether we're going to see Vokuun?
    I was worried about getting out of the place last night. We had our 6 year old and were headed back into the city. No problem there. The final whistle blew and nary a person left. Even after the scrum and the celebration, it was smooth sailing out....thank god. I love the Coliseum.

There was sheer joy on everyone's face in the place. We may win this series, we may lose this series. But right now, it feels pretty good to be an Isles fan!
    Not sure yet whether Vokoun or Fleury starts tomorrow night, but based on Bylsma's post game comments, it sounds like he is leaning towards Vokoun:
    "Tomas Vokoun is a guy who can step in and play," he said. "He's had success and won hockey games against this team. Has had success this year."

He also commented on the bad goal given up by Fleury at the end of the 2nd period.

Also agree that win or lose, it is great to be an Islander fan right now. There is something special about seeing a young team begin to come together and realize their potential. Midway through the season, I was wondering how the Isles could possibly keep this young nucleus together, and I think this run over the last 6-8 weeeks will ensure that this team stays together for the next couple of years.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It will be very interesting what referees the NHL assign to game #5. They have to be extremely worried that their precious "Sindy" will be out in the first round two years in a row. Also, let's hope Pens coach pulls a Rex and keeps thinking that "Fleury gives us the best chance to win." By "us", I mean Islanders, of course

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    It will be very interesting what referees the NHL assign to game #5. They have to be extremely worried that their precious "Sindy" will be out in the first round two years in a row. Also, let's hope Pens coach pulls a Rex and keeps thinking that "Fleury gives us the best chance to win." By "us", I mean Islanders, of course
    One of the worst goaltending performances I have ever seen, at least since Fleury's horrible effort vs Flyers last year...keep him in there...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    What a fantastic game. The Coliseum is like no other place when it is rocking. The chants at the beginning of the game were as seamless as Help -->Slip--->Frank....one going right into another. There were signs all around the Coliseum on 8" x 11" paper saying "NO DIVING"...."That means you Princess Crosby" in small letters.

If the Isles lost that game in the 3rd, I'm not sure the refs or the Penguins would have gotten out alive. It seemed ready to boil over. I did a quick re-watch of the game and while there were some calls that were overlooked, they were not nearly as egregious as they appeared at full speed. After one specific missed call, a bottle came flying from the stands onto the ice. That one was at least partially full and had some momentum. A few others followed to the point where they made an announcement that the Isles could be penalized if it continues.

If the Pens came back and won, it would have been bedlam. I'm not sure what the phenomenom is at the Coliseum, but bottle throwing is fairly acceptable. I heard Howie commenting on it that security probably has that person already thrown out of the building. Yeah right - I'm not sure a Yellow Coat actually moved. There were a few Penguin fans there, and if it got ugly, it would be a long while til something was broken up.

Nabby finally made a legit save on Kunitz in the 3rd period. Other than that, this thing was a free for all. The Isles had chances that Fleury stopped but those were more incidental than anything. He looked soooo shaky. Any word on whether we're going to see Vokuun?

I was worried about getting out of the place last night. We had our 6 year old and were headed back into the city. No problem there. The final whistle blew and nary a person left. Even after the scrum and the celebration, it was smooth sailing out....thank god. I love the Coliseum.

There was sheer joy on everyone's face in the place. We may win this series, we may lose this series. But right now, it feels pretty good to be an Isles fan!
    So glad you and your boy got to experience last night. I'm sure he will never forget it.

In terms of the whistles in the pocket in the 3rd period, at one point a penguin was lying on top of an Islander behind the play and you could see the Pen shoving the Isles head into the ice THREE times! No call. No one has mentioned it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by matt robinson 17 View Post
    Kunitz should have gotten a 3rd man in, by the way Iginla started the whole thing, all of a sudden he's a tough guy, because he's playing on the NHL's version of the Miami Heat...
    Don't know the answer to this - is that something that can be reviewed by the league or does it have to be called by the refs on the ice?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    So glad you and your boy got to experience last night. I'm sure he will never forget it.

In terms of the whistles in the pocket in the 3rd period, at one point a penguin was lying on top of an Islander behind the play and you could see the Pen shoving the Isles head into the ice THREE times! No call. No one has mentioned it.
    Yeah, that was Morrow (I think) on Cizikas. The crowd went nuts on that, but the reason he was doing that was b/c Zeek wouldn't let go of his stick. Of course, it was hard to do when someone's shoving you like that. Could be argued either way there.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that was Morrow (I think) on Cizikas. The crowd went nuts on that, but the reason he was doing that was b/c Zeek wouldn't let go of his stick. Of course, it was hard to do when someone's shoving you like that. Could be argued either way there.
    I thought I was watching "Slapshot."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Pittsburgh embarrasses themselves further by gooning it up at the end. Team is full of douchebags.
    This is so true. It reminds me of last year in the flyer series. The pens are seriously worried and that's why that cheap **** happened. I'm a fan of good clean hockey. Fight when you need to. That was not the time.

The ratings for this series has to be thru the roof. Back and forth. I love it as a hockey fan, but hate it as a pens fan. The isles are making a serious statement right now.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    And its official - Vokoun to start...
    Pittsburgh Penguins coach Dan Bylsma announced Wednesday that Tomas Vokoun would start in goal for Game 5 of his team's Eastern Conference Quarterfinals series against the New York Islanders, which resumes Thursday at Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh (7 p.m. ET, NBCSN, TSN).

"Tomas is capable of being a great goalie for us," Bylsma said.

Vokoun last started a playoff game in 2006-07 as a member of the Nashville Predators. He is 3-8-1 with a 2.47 goals-against average and .922 save percentage in 11 playoff appearances. In his first season with the Penguins, the 36-year-old goalie went 13-4-0 with a 2.45 GAA and .919 save percentage in 20 games this season.

Vokoun will replace Marc-Andre Fleury, who is 2-2 with a 3.40 GAA and .891 save percentage. He allowed six goals on 24 shots in Game 4.
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    They have a lot more problems than just Flurrie, the Isles have taken the play to them

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    And its official - Vokoun to start...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads
    No surprise. I would have been shocked to see Fleury back out there on Thursday. Can't believe its been 6 years since Vokoun started a playoff game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thursdays game is at 7pm. Have they announced Saturdays game time yet? NHL.com has TBD.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Thursdays game is at 7pm. Have they announced Saturdays game time yet? NHL.com has TBD.
    Just posted on the Islanders website:

"The New York Islanders start time for Game 6 of their Eastern Conference Quarterfinal series against the Pittsburgh Penguins is set for either 4:30 or 7 p.m. If the Montreal Canadiens/Ottawa Senators series concludes Thursday, Game 6 of the Islanders/Penguins series will start at 7 p.m. at Nassau Coliseum. Otherwise, the game will begin at 4:30 p.m.

Fans are encouraged to arrive early for the game to avoid long lines. Coliseum doors will open two hours prior to start time. The Plaza located outside of the Coliseum Box Office will have music, interactive games, the smash car and various other activities three hours prior to the opening faceoff."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Just posted on the Islanders website:

"The New York Islanders start time for Game 6 of their Eastern Conference Quarterfinal series against the Pittsburgh Penguins is set for either 4:30 or 7 p.m. If the Montreal Canadiens/Ottawa Senators series concludes Thursday, Game 6 of the Islanders/Penguins series will start at 7 p.m. at Nassau Coliseum. Otherwise, the game will begin at 4:30 p.m.

Fans are encouraged to arrive early for the game to avoid long lines. Coliseum doors will open two hours prior to start time. The Plaza located outside of the Coliseum Box Office will have music, interactive games, the smash car and various other activities three hours prior to the opening faceoff."
    Lets go Ottawa, I guess.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    The Plaza located outside of the Coliseum Box Office will have music, interactive games, the smash car and various other activities three hours prior to the opening faceoff."
    I hope someone remembers to bring a proper sledge hammer. People looked kind of silly hitting the car with the starter sledge...