Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders - 2013

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ Agree. Boyes isn't playing well at all.

I thought Poulin looked a little soft myself. Then Howie says they liked the way he's been playing lately.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    disappointed to see only 11,000 in attendance for a playoff race. i hate to say it, but LI doesn't deserve an NHL team. tickets are cheapest in northeast and there isn't a bad seat in the house. i was thinking about seeing the isles in Montreal until I saw how much the tickets were.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    disappointed to see only 11,000 in attendance for a playoff race. i hate to say it, but LI doesn't deserve an NHL team. tickets are cheapest in northeast and there isn't a bad seat in the house. i was thinking about seeing the isles in Montreal until I saw how much the tickets were.
    I can't even imagine. I was up there last February on a weekend the Devils happened to be in town. I wanted to go until I saw the prices, and the Habs were terrible last year. They must be insane this season.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    That's unfair. This team has been suffering a nuclear winter for the past 7 years. And despite the record this season, they have been abysmal at home.

If the buzz continues to build I have no doubt the old barn will fill up.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    11,000 is more than the usual 9,000, at least.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    That's unfair. This team has been suffering a nuclear winter for the past 7 years. And despite the record this season, they have been abysmal at home.

If the buzz continues to build I have no doubt the old barn will fill up.
    Agreed - if they win on Thursday, I'm guessing Saturday will be close to a sellout. And the environment won't be nearly the family friendly place it's been in the recent past.

The Coliseum is a strange place. It has a way of transforming from a tame, quiet crowd, to a maniacal, blood thisty bunch at the drop of a hat.

The Toronto playoff series was insane. I guess not making the playoffs for years does that to you.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    I can't even imagine. I was up there last February on a weekend the Devils happened to be in town. I wanted to go until I saw the prices, and the Habs were terrible last year. They must be insane this season.
    Take the worst seat in the NAssaus Colisem and it would be about $130 in Montreal (US and Canadian Dollar pretty close). They have cheaper seats but I would not be surprised if the Bell Centre building was literally twice as high as Nassau.

If someone gave me a $70 to $90 ticket for free I wouldn't even go.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Agreed - if they win on Thursday, I'm guessing Saturday will be close to a sellout. And the environment won't be nearly the family friendly place it's been in the recent past.

The Coliseum is a strange place. It has a way of transforming from a tame, quiet crowd, to a maniacal, blood thisty bunch at the drop of a hat.

The Toronto playoff series was insane. I guess not making the playoffs for years does that to you.
    I was at the isles/caps playoff series in 93 whe Turgeon was checked in to the boards by dale hunter a good 4 seconds after he scored a goal. The coliseum that night was the loudest venue I have ever been at to this day.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isles pull any trades today? I'm kinda hoping they sit tight.

Aside - my boy was watching NHL Tonight this morning while I was brushing my teeth. He yells in "the penguins lost last night, 4-1." I said yep. Now, we never talk about Crosby, except that he's a good player. I think he's a bit of a whiner and diver, but I've never said anything to the boy. So the boy then yells "they lost because Cindy Crosby was hurt". Ha!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aren't they vacating the Potato farm next season to continue being an irrelevant second fiddle with no fans to New York's only NHL franchise in one of the outer boroughs?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lovely contribution. Stick to the strip, it's more your speed.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Aren't they vacating the Potato farm next season to continue being an irrelevant second fiddle with no fans to New York's only NHL franchise in one of the outer boroughs?
    I'm not suggesting there can't be any smack talk in these forums - hell I've had to restrain myself from going over to the Rags forum to gloat. But you aren't funny, you're annoyingly repetitive and make absolutely no contributions with your crap.

In short, don't come round these here parts no more, capisce?

And this team that's headed to an outer borough has more points than that team on 7th Avenue. Don't you live in an Outer Borough?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Isles pull any trades today? I'm kinda hoping they sit tight.

Aside - my boy was watching NHL Tonight this morning while I was brushing my teeth. He yells in "the penguins lost last night, 4-1." I said yep. Now, we never talk about Crosby, except that he's a good player. I think he's a bit of a whiner and diver, but I've never said anything to the boy. So the boy then yells "they lost because Cindy Crosby was hurt". Ha!
    Haha....my son does the same thing - calls him Cindy.

The Streit situation is troubling. Its likely that they won't be able to sign him (he's asking for more than Lubo) and they could get a whole bunch for him, but how do you break up this team's chemistry by moving the Captain at the deadline? I'm guessing he stays put - this team has enough prospects that getting a pick for him - even a first rounder, doesn't matter so much.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha....my son does the same thing - calls him Cindy.

The Streit situation is troubling. Its likely that they won't be able to sign him (he's asking for more than Lubo) and they could get a whole bunch for him, but how do you break up this team's chemistry by moving the Captain at the deadline? I'm guessing he stays put - this team has enough prospects that getting a pick for him - even a first rounder, doesn't matter so much.
    If this was two years ago the move is to trade him for whatever you can get in picks (e.g. Bill Guerin). But we're past that phase (I hope) where stockpiling picks shouldn't be the objective. Even if they fall short of the playoffs this year, the pipeline is healthy and the kids are ready to emerge.

I rather have Vis than Streit anyway. I'd rather spend that money on a defensive defenseman who we can truly rely upon not to turnover the puck in our end constantly...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not suggesting there can't be any smack talk in these forums - hell I've had to restrain myself from going over to the Rags forum to gloat. But you aren't funny, you're annoyingly repetitive and make absolutely no contributions with your crap.

In short, don't come round these here parts no more, capisce?

And this team that's headed to an outer borough has more points than that team on 7th Avenue. Don't you live in an Outer Borough?
    He's just jealous that this is by far the most active Hockey thread in the Pro Arena Sports forum...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No trades yet, that I have heard. Deadline just over 2 hours away.

Does Pitt get back on track tonight, and take out yesterdays loss on the Rags? Or do they start a 2 game slide?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    No trades yet, that I have heard. Deadline just over 2 hours away.

Does Pitt get back on track tonight, and take out yesterdays loss on the Rags? Or do they start a 2 game slide?
    As soon as I heard Crosby was hurt I thought [bleep], just in time for him to miss two games vs the Rangers.... Hoping that the loss to the Sabres wakes them up and that they take 4 points from the Rangers this week.

I hate to even type this, but of the 3 local teams, the Islanders have the "easier" schedule from here on out. Devils and Rangers play each other twice more as well.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Isles ink Pedan
    By Katie Strang

As of 11 a.m. ET there had yet to be a trade on Deadline Day, but the Islanders did make a significant transaction, inking defensive prospect Andrey Pedan to a three-year, entry-level contract.

Pedan, a third-round pick in 2011, has signed an amateur tryout and will report to the Islanders' AHL affiliate in Bridgeport. Pedan is expected to spend the rest of the season with the Sound Tigers, along with former first-round pick Ryan Strome, who was assigned to Bridgeport earlier this week.

The 6-foot-4, 210-pound defenseman is considered a top prospect. Pedan finished with 14 goals and 44 points in 60 regular-season games with the OHL's Guelph Storm, three goals and four points in five playoff games.

The Storm was recently eliminated from the OHL playoffs by the Kitchener Rangers.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Isles ink Pedan
    By Katie Strang

As of 11 a.m. ET there had yet to be a trade on Deadline Day, but the Islanders did make a significant transaction, inking defensive prospect Andrey Pedan to a three-year, entry-level contract.

Pedan, a third-round pick in 2011, has signed an amateur tryout and will report to the Islanders' AHL affiliate in Bridgeport. Pedan is expected to spend the rest of the season with the Sound Tigers, along with former first-round pick Ryan Strome, who was assigned to Bridgeport earlier this week.

The 6-foot-4, 210-pound defenseman is considered a top prospect. Pedan finished with 14 goals and 44 points in 60 regular-season games with the OHL's Guelph Storm, three goals and four points in five playoff games.

The Storm was recently eliminated from the OHL playoffs by the Kitchener Rangers.
    Yeah, I've read a lot about this kid. He supposed to be real ill tempered - just what we need on the backline. Hopefully he can keep his actions in check and stay out of the box, but if he develops, we got ourselves sumthin'.

The comparison that I loved the most - a 6'4 version of Darius Kasparitis. That would be fantastic.

With all the high first round picks, its interesting that the two biggest splashes recently are a former 6th rounder and a former 3rd rounder.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    And BTW, we were all pretty resounding in thinking that Poulin should have started in Pitt as a throwaway.

Giving credit where its due, Cappy looks pretty damn smart right now, eh?