Page 33 of 48 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders - 2013

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Nice recap from Grantland. I was expecting snark, but it's pretty accurate.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...ders-come-home
    Agreed....totally fair article and accurately captures the Coliseum and the fans. This is basically me....grew up in Sect 209 behind the net:

Shortly after 10 a.m., about two hours before the opening faceoff, Jason Coyne and his friend Michael Decotis were sipping Jack and Cokes in the parking lot. “I’ve been an Islanders fan since I was 2 years old,” Jason said. “Now, I’m 35.”

“Thirty-seven,” Michael corrected him.

“Thirty-seven,” Jason said. He added apologetically, “Jack Daniel’s.”

Jason was wearing the standard Islanders fan uniform: jersey or T-shirt; jeans or baggy cargo shorts; white sneakers. Jason had his cap on forward, which is something of a deviation. A backward cap is to an Islanders fans what a mask is to Evgeni Nabokov.
    Except for the fact that real life prohibited me from early morning drinking....

But I'll be there tonight!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetStream View Post
    Agreed, taking some bad penalties so far and Nabby has to work on his positioning... the 4th goal he let up he was out to far and lost where he was, I could have hit that corner of the net he left open
    Nabby may not need to stand on his head, but in my opinion, he needs to be better than he has been. He at least needs to be better than Fleury, which I don't think he has been so far. There are times when you need your goalie to bail you out after a bad penalty or a defensive lapse -- and I haven't seen him do that in this series.

Time for him to channel his inner Billy Smith and raise his level of play in the playoffs.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    But I'll be there tonight!
    There are certain days when I really miss living on Long Island -- tonight is one of those times, you would not be able to keep me away from the Coliseum.

Hope you enjoy and they make it a memorable night for all of us -- 11 years between home playoff wins is way too long!!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    There are certain days when I really miss living on Long Island -- tonight is one of those times, you would not be able to keep me away from the Coliseum.

Hope you enjoy and they make it a memorable night for all of us -- 11 years between home playoff wins is way too long!!
    My wife - who admirably has tried to keep up with all the sports goings on in our apt (as we have two sports crazed boys) - wanted to take our 3 yr old to the game tonight. I had to explain to her that the Coliseum is a decidedly different place in the post-season then it is during the regular season.

During the regular season (especially the weekend day games we've taken the boys to), you get about 12K fans, many of which are families. People are taking pictures with Sparky, the Isles have a Sponge Bob day where Sponge Bob and Patrick are walking around the arena.

During the playoffs, its fans walking around with chainsaws screaming at anything and everything ready to curse out the referee for improperly skating during warmups and piling bottles ready for tossing onto the ice when the game does not go their way. The sound is absolutely deafening when the crowd is energized.

The last playoff series for the Isles was pretty much a snoozer against Buffalo. With a win tonight, this series could have the intensity of the Toronto series - hopefully with a different result.

Really hope they come out buzzing once again and get the crowd into a frenzy.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Nice recap from Grantland. I was expecting snark, but it's pretty accurate.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...ders-come-home
    Nice read.

Nabby may not need to stand on his head, but in my opinion, he needs to be better than he has been. He at least needs to be better than Fleury, which I don't think he has been so far. There are times when you need your goalie to bail you out after a bad penalty or a defensive lapse -- and I haven't seen him do that in this series.

Time for him to channel his inner Billy Smith and raise his level of play in the playoffs.
    EXACTLY. Step it the fvck up, Nabby! Get your fvcking head out of your ass and start playing like a playoff fvcking goalie should!

4.77 GA with a 0.836 Sv% is fvcking bullshlt.

Make a key fvcking save for once. Bail your team out when they need it for once.

Common!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    My wife - who admirably has tried to keep up with all the sports goings on in our apt (as we have two sports crazed boys) - wanted to take our 3 yr old to the game tonight. I had to explain to her that the Coliseum is a decidedly different place in the post-season then it is during the regular season.

During the regular season (especially the weekend day games we've taken the boys to), you get about 12K fans, many of which are families. People are taking pictures with Sparky, the Isles have a Sponge Bob day where Sponge Bob and Patrick are walking around the arena.

During the playoffs, its fans walking around with chainsaws screaming at anything and everything ready to curse out the referee for improperly skating during warmups and piling bottles ready for tossing onto the ice when the game does not go their way. The sound is absolutely deafening when the crowd is energized.

The last playoff series for the Isles was pretty much a snoozer against Buffalo. With a win tonight, this series could have the intensity of the Toronto series - hopefully with a different result.

Really hope they come out buzzing once again and get the crowd into a frenzy.
    Sounds like you might be doing a better job bringing up your kids than I did. My son has grown up to be a Blackhawks fan. At least I am not a total failure as a dad - he does bleed Jet green with me during football season.

Nice job painting a picture of what the Coliseum is like these days. I was a season ticket holder back in the '80s. as best I can recall, back then, there always seemed to be a quiet confidence in the crowd - never got too wild, never got too down. If they fell behind, we knew they would come back. If they lost game 1, we knew they would take game 2, and if a game went to overtime, it was ours. Man, I would love the get that feeling back again.

Only time I really remember the raucous playoff atmosphere you described above was when the Rangers were in the building.

All League

Nice job painting a picture of what the Coliseum is like these days. I was a season ticket holder back in the '80s. as best I can recall, back then, there always seemed to be a quiet confidence in the crowd - never got too wild, never got too down. If they fell behind, we knew they would come back. If they lost game 1, we knew they would take game 2, and if a game went to overtime, it was ours. Man, I would love the get that feeling back again.
    Remember the 93 run? OT was Our Time!

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Let's Go Islanders!

All League
    Let's go pens!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    I can't tell you what a pleasure it is to HEAR the Coliseum again.

All League
    Back and forth

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Back and forth
    Unreal, we cannot keep a lead.

All League
    Unreal, we cannot keep a lead.
    Great series this far

All League
    Seriously, what the fvck?

Nabby, you're really starting to piss me off. Tough Malkin shot to stop, but for once, could you make a huge fvcking save?

2 on 11 shots. Absolutely pathetic for the playoffs.

**** you, asswipe.
    Last edited by Big L; 05-07-2013 at 08:20 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Seriously, what the fvck?

Nabby, you're really starting to piss me off. Tough Malkin shot to stop, but for once, could you make a huge fvcking save?

2 on 11 shots. Absolutely pathetic for the playoffs.

**** you, asswipe.
    How about 3 of 13. Boy is this game getting frustrating to watch.

All League
    **** you evgeni. You suck sweaty moose balls.

High glove side, yet AGAIN.

All League
    How about 3 of 13. Boy is this game getting frustrating to watch.
    That is just down right pathetic. Awful. No excuse. I don't know what the **** his problem is, but he'd better figure it out quick or sit on he ****ing bench quick.

Now a Pitt PP. can you say 4-2?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    That is just down right pathetic. Awful. No excuse. I don't know what the **** his problem is, but he'd better figure it out quick or sit on he ****ing bench quick.

Now a Pitt PP. can you say 4-2?
    Yup, 18 guys playing their hearts out to keep this close and a goalie who can't make a big save. He has to be about 80% in the series. Poulin time?

All League
    Yup, 18 guys playing their hearts out to keep this close and a goalie who can't make a big save. He has to be about 80% in the series. Poulin time?
    Ex-fvcking-actly. Definitely close to .800. That is unheard of in the playoffs.

What the fvck is his problem?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I've thought most in this thread have been unnecessarily hard on Nabby so far this series.

Until tonight.

He just has to be better. Can't win a series unless he gets better. Fast.