Page 28 of 48 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders - 2013

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    From an Isles message board, pretty mush sums it up

The Isles haven't played well since the game before they clinched. Tavares did his best Crosby impersonation. Crosby didn't play, and Tavares was invisible as well. We are going to get swept, but happy they made the playoffs regardless. The kids need playoff experience even if they get blown out. Unfortunately the Islanders might have shot their load too early, were playing their best hockey 2 weeks ago, haven't seen that level of play since then, and don't know if we'll see it again until next season. Still a great year for Isle's fans, playoffs and a new home announced, all in the same year

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Naby continues his play of making spectacular saves and letting in shots with clear sight lines.

Realistically, I never thought the Isles had a chance against Pitt, Bos or even Rangers. Let's just hope they represent themselves well in Game two.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nabby's looked like shlt the last few games he's played. Fortunately at the end of the season, his sub-par play was masked by the shlt level of the teams played. It was fully exposed by Pittsburg(no h) last night.

And I still think they'd have a better shot vs. Boston. Maybe a 4-1 series instead of a 4-0...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Nabby's looked like shlt the last few games he's played. Fortunately at the end of the season, his sub-par play was masked by the shlt level of the teams played. It was fully exposed by Pittsburg(no h) last night.

And I still think they'd have a better shot vs. Boston. Maybe a 4-1 series instead of a 4-0...
    this team is young and quick, but there will always be four or five teams in the playoffs who can out-muscle them unless we get big guys from Bridgeport.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought this would be a 4 or 5 game series, but I thought they would be mostly close, hard fought wins with the Pens coming out on top at the end on account of their experience and depth. I still don't think they will all be blowouts, and realistically, its better to get a stark wake up call early then spend the emotional capital of losing a close one in the third or OT. That would be a gutsot

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    this team is young and quick, but there will always be four or five teams in the playoffs who can out-muscle them unless we get big guys from Bridgeport.
    Martin is doing his damnest to bring the wood whenever he can. But, he's outmanned. At the end of the game, he made it a point to nail Enghland into the boards somewhat unnecessarily. Enghland started skating over to him but ended up just going to to his goalie and leaving it alone.

Something's gotta give. Capuano said in his post-game presser that they didn't play physical enough. NOt sure I agree - they were trying but when you have a guy like Matt Moulson trying to finish his checks against a mountain of a man like Bruce Murray, its not going to have much affect.

Cizikas was out there flying though. He's not a big dude, but man does he bring energy out there. He's an under the radar contributor for sure.

Few other random thoughts;

- How slow did Streit look when Brandon Sutter flew by him forcing him to take that penalty? When I saw that, I thought to myself "I really hope we don't re-sign this dude - especially for Lubo money."

- Pens are losing guys left and right. Orpik and Crosby didn't play and Neal and Jukkinen (although I'm guessing that was minor) got injured. Too bad it will have little to no affect on their production.

- That Beau Bennett kid is legit. I didn't understand why Tyler Kennedy was a healthy scratch until I saw Bennett. Granted his goal was pretty much on Nabby but he looks like the real deal. Considering guys Seguin, Hall, Bennett, etc. from that draft are already contributing, it would be nice if Nino could be back in the NHL next season, this time ready to score a goal or two. Not holding my breath though. Brock Nelson will probably be contributing before him.

-Isles defense looked horrendous, across the board. Tentative, bad decisions and looked as if they were skating in quicksand. Doesn't look like Brian Strait made the Pens miss him. How is Mark Eaton such an integral part of their backline when he was a JAG here?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Let's at least go down 2-0 before we start burying this team. It was a poor showing, no doubt, but it only counts as one game. We seem to forget that the best players on the team are between the ages 22 and 24.

If we get another clunker on Friday, we can start the funeral procession. But let's try and enjoy the playoffs a little bit.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crash - you said Cappy said they weren't playing physical enough. Right in the beginning, I thought they tried to play physical, and then the first penalty on Strait for interference. Kinda borderline penalty, IMO. Just Strait trying to be physical and finish checks. That penalty seemed to take the Isles physicality out of the game, IMO. They seemed tentative after that to hit anyone in a Penguins jersey.

I wish the refs had just let them play a little bit more.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Crash - you said Cappy said they weren't playing physical enough. Right in the beginning, I thought they tried to play physical, and then the first penalty on Strait for interference. Kinda borderline penalty, IMO. Just Strait trying to be physical and finish checks. That penalty seemed to take the Isles physicality out of the game, IMO. They seemed tentative after that to hit anyone in a Penguins jersey.

I wish the refs had just let them play a little bit more.
    Common....Strait wasn't finishing a check. A check would imply that Cooke ever had the puck. Strait could perhaps claim that they just ran into each other, but that doesn't really fly when Cooke just leveled Hickey (clean check) and Strait was coming off the bench and hits him in the chest.

They had more hits in the game then the Pens did and that's usually a home-team dominated stat. Still, I'd expect to to see Boulton dressed for Gm 2. If they even start talking (and get the Pens thinking) about the Isles potentially gooning it up, its a win for the Isles. Not looking for a cheap shot, just want the Pens to think twice about stuff. Can't get any worse than Reasoner out there.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I always thought this would be a 4 or 5 game series, but I thought they would be mostly close, hard fought wins with the Pens coming out on top at the end on account of their experience and depth. I still don't think they will all be blowouts, and realistically, its better to get a stark wake up call early then spend the emotional capital of losing a close one in the third or OT. That would be a gutsot

Martin is doing his damnest to bring the wood whenever he can. But, he's outmanned. At the end of the game, he made it a point to nail Enghland into the boards somewhat unnecessarily. Enghland started skating over to him but ended up just going to to his goalie and leaving it alone.

Something's gotta give. Capuano said in his post-game presser that they didn't play physical enough. NOt sure I agree - they were trying but when you have a guy like Matt Moulson trying to finish his checks against a mountain of a man like Bruce Murray, its not going to have much affect.

Cizikas was out there flying though. He's not a big dude, but man does he bring energy out there. He's an under the radar contributor for sure.

Few other random thoughts;

- How slow did Streit look when Brandon Sutter flew by him forcing him to take that penalty? When I saw that, I thought to myself "I really hope we don't re-sign this dude - especially for Lubo money."

- Pens are losing guys left and right. Orpik and Crosby didn't play and Neal and Jukkinen (although I'm guessing that was minor) got injured. Too bad it will have little to no affect on their production.

- That Beau Bennett kid is legit. I didn't understand why Tyler Kennedy was a healthy scratch until I saw Bennett. Granted his goal was pretty much on Nabby but he looks like the real deal. Considering guys Seguin, Hall, Bennett, etc. from that draft are already contributing, it would be nice if Nino could be back in the NHL next season, this time ready to score a goal or two. Not holding my breath though. Brock Nelson will probably be contributing before him.

-Isles defense looked horrendous, across the board. Tentative, bad decisions and looked as if they were skating in quicksand. Doesn't look like Brian Strait made the Pens miss him. How is Mark Eaton such an integral part of their backline when he was a JAG here?
    +1. Well said.

The thing about this team is that it's not put together to win right now and I'm OK with that. Garth is doing the right thing and so far has been hitting more than missing. Milbury would have traded half the kids away with little return.......I don't miss that.

But part of this rebuild was giving us a little gravy by going on a great tear and making the playoffs. Nobody expects us too win but I would like to see a better compete level and Cappy putting out the right lines. As soon as I saw Marty in, and Carkner out I cringed. I'd really like too see Ullstrom in the line-up, but I'm guessing he might have went two hole on Cappys daughter to be in such a doghouse.

Next year is about the forwards making the jump. I easily see Nelson, Strome, Lee, and hopefully Nino up next year. Not sure what the timing will be but they all should be getting major icetime by mid season. And I'm leaving some major names off this list.

Two years from now the Dman are ready. That is when the fun is going to start. I just hope in the offseason they can address the G position and land a top Dman. Either by F/A or by trade.

With that said......Go Isles and kick ass tomorrow.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Even King Henrik gives up softies.

I feel good about Friday night. Nabby will be sharp and we will generate some offense goddamnit.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post

I feel good about Friday night. Nabby will be sharp and we will generate some offense goddamnit.
    The real Fluery is bound to show up.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL

I feel good, too; can't do much worse than Wednesday night.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crosby back in tonight.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    According to Staple it looks like Carkner will be in for Hickey and Ullstrom in for Reasoner.

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
    Judging by players on for extra work, guess at lineup changes: Ullstrom for Reasoner, Carkner for Hickey. #Isles
    I like the Ullstrom move - not sure why he didn't get a game or two before the season was over. I was thinking Boulton but if Carkner is dressed, Ullstrom makes sense.

And I like Carkner out there, just am a little scared that we will see a repeat of a guy flying by him ala the Toronto game, while he stands in quicksand.

But, it will be good to have his brawn out there. The Pens seem to enjoy parking themselves in front of the net and hanging out there. Will be good to have Cark there to clear the crease.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    According to Staple it looks like Carkner will be in for Hickey and Ullstrom in for Reasoner.

I like the Ullstrom move - not sure why he didn't get a game or two before the season was over. I was thinking Boulton but if Carkner is dressed, Ullstrom makes sense.

And I like Carkner out there, just am a little scared that we will see a repeat of a guy flying by him ala the Toronto game, while he stands in quicksand.

But, it will be good to have his brawn out there. The Pens seem to enjoy parking themselves in front of the net and hanging out there. Will be good to have Cark there to clear the crease.
    Damn, maybe cappy read my post.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Note it's a 7pm start time, not 7:30.

Should be on NBCSN.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Note it's a 7pm start time, not 7:30.

Should be on NBCSN.
    Yes - the powers that be have decided to stick it to me so that the Knicks and Islanders play at the exact same times Wednesday, Friday and even Sunday.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes - the powers that be have decided to stick it to me so that the Knicks and Islanders play at the exact same times Wednesday, Friday and even Sunday.
    Works for me - I'm not a basketball fan. Baseball either.

The time between the Stanley Cup finals and when training camp opens is like the sports Sahara to me.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck gentlemen! Game 2!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The kid^2
    Last edited by JetsfanfromtheBURGH; 05-03-2013 at 07:27 PM.