Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders - 2013

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post

Edit: Unlike most I like the Nabby resigning, but unfortunately with that contract he is entrenched as the starter. Really would like too see him as the 1b.
    Naby was lights out most of the year. If I'm not mistaken, the games were closer together last year than usual because of the strike. He just ran out of gas since he was plan 1A and B.

As for Poulin, he actually looked decent in that start he got a couple of games before the end of the season. Everyone's writing him off, but we don't know sh*t about him yet. He could surprise.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. What a steal for the Isles by locking him up for so long that he will lose some of the years when he could have been an UFA. He started out rough earlier in the year but I blame that on his ankle/concussion problems. Great finish to the year and earned every cent of that contract.
    Now when they team him up with another great(hopefully)pairing (e.g. not Amac) in the future and he will shine. Love it and hope he dons the "A" this year.
    Unfortunately the rest of the free agent signings have been nothing but unimpressive. A bunch of ham and eggers for forwards. I really don't see the need for either of them. And giving PMB 2 mil is just a waste. I hope they don't want him on the first line. All JT's line needs is another wussie who can't dig a puck out of the boards or play any type of a physical game.

Edit: Unlike most I like the Nabby resigning, but unfortunately with that contract he is entrenched as the starter. Really would like too see him as the 1b. Oh well, the training camp fight now is between Poulin and Nillson and I'm hoping Poulin loses for the B/U position.
    I'm ok with PMB.....I guess - it gives Strome the opportunity to win that 1st line winger spot if be comes out flying. But realistically, it ill probably be PMB (or Cal Clutter). I wish they picked up a physical Dman. Scuderi went for 4 years, which is long, but I would have considered giving him similar money over 3 years to see if he would bite.

Ron Hainsey is still ou there. I wouldn't mind if they kicked the tires there.

Nabby/Poulin is not my first choice in net, but it's not the end of the world. Hopefully Nilsson shows up. I've read conflicting reports as o whether Poulin can be sent down. That may determine who is with he big club.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cal is now under contract for 4/11mil. I like the signing and am glad it's not any longer than 4 years. Overall nice signing by Garth.......maybe a little rich but on par with the league for a player of his stature.
    JB is next and I hope we go for a 1 year. He has to be the hardest player too evaluate on the roster. Some days, all star play..........some days, who the hell is that guy. I definitely would not mind him long term but if he's getting Tavares minutes this year he needs to be lights out this year. The kid gloves are off.
    After what has transpired so far I'm thinking Griff has a huge shot at making this roster at the start. I can see four huge pieces of the puzzle by years end in Nelson, Strome, Griff, and Donovan. Lee is the wildcard and I think he'll be right in the mix.
    Gonna be a fun training camp and one more great step too the ultimate goal.

Also the prospects game is thursday at 7, anyone here attending? Go Isles.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Cal is now under contract for 4/11mil. I like the signing and am glad it's not any longer than 4 years. Overall nice signing by Garth.......maybe a little rich but on par with the league for a player of his stature.
    JB is next and I hope we go for a 1 year. He has to be the hardest player too evaluate on the roster. Some days, all star play..........some days, who the hell is that guy. I definitely would not mind him long term but if he's getting Tavares minutes this year he needs to be lights out this year. The kid gloves are off.
    After what has transpired so far I'm thinking Griff has a huge shot at making this roster at the start. I can see four huge pieces of the puzzle by years end in Nelson, Strome, Griff, and Donovan. Lee is the wildcard and I think he'll be right in the mix.
    Gonna be a fun training camp and one more great step too the ultimate goal.

Also the prospects game is thursday at 7, anyone here attending? Go Isles.
    I still think we pick up a vet defenseman. I think they give Grif a chance to make the team b/c he's not eligible for BP, but at the end of the day - unless he has a ridiculous camp - it probably makes sense to send him back to Jrs for a year.

More than anything, I would just like to see Joe Finley gone. If someone - anyone - could step up and make a play for a roster spot, he could be waived/playing in BP. And if we pick up a Hainsey/Tom Gilbert type, Hickey and Carkner become our #7/8 defensemen, which is probably right. And in spot situations, Cark can start over Donovan.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I still think we pick up a vet defenseman. I think they give Grif a chance to make the team b/c he's not eligible for BP, but at the end of the day - unless he has a ridiculous camp - it probably makes sense to send him back to Jrs for a year.

More than anything, I would just like to see Joe Finley gone. If someone - anyone - could step up and make a play for a roster spot, he could be waived/playing in BP. And if we pick up a Hainsey/Tom Gilbert type, Hickey and Carkner become our #7/8 defensemen, which is probably right. And in spot situations, Cark can start over Donovan.
    Disagree. I really think Garth is done and that leaves us with the same blueline....minus Streit....adding Donovan. Mayfield and Pedan need a full year at the bridge but I'm thinking Griff is more ready too take the step up. I honestly have no idea but it's just wishful thinking on my part.
    I mean the kid is already 225 and uses it. Offense will come in time for him, but I just want to get the rookie jitters out of these guys when we can. I won't be mad if he gets sent back to minors but with this crap corp of blueliners we currently have I can easily see him EARN a spot.
    Also JB filed for arbitration so that one year contract I want becomes much more likely.
    My opinion is this team has a GREAT future ahead of it......but it's just not ready yet. So I'm trying too gear up this roster with future core players as soon as I can to let them work through the rookie jitters.
    Now....absolutely not one player should make it if they don't deserve it. But looking at the blueline and seeing Griff knocking on the door at 6'4" 225 I like his chances.
    Realistically this team is being built for the brooklyn transition. I can see a powerhouse/dynasty like team three years from now......just not yet and I don't say that lightly. Iv'e been following this team for decades and have never felt better.
    Now don't **** it up Garth

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Disagree. I really think Garth is done and that leaves us with the same blueline....minus Streit....adding Donovan. Mayfield and Pedan need a full year at the bridge but I'm thinking Griff is more ready too take the step up. I honestly have no idea but it's just wishful thinking on my part.
    I mean the kid is already 225 and uses it. Offense will come in time for him, but I just want to get the rookie jitters out of these guys when we can. I won't be mad if he gets sent back to minors but with this crap corp of blueliners we currently have I can easily see him EARN a spot.
    Also JB filed for arbitration so that one year contract I want becomes much more likely.
    My opinion is this team has a GREAT future ahead of it......but it's just not ready yet. So I'm trying too gear up this roster with future core players as soon as I can to let them work through the rookie jitters.
    Now....absolutely not one player should make it if they don't deserve it. But looking at the blueline and seeing Griff knocking on the door at 6'4" 225 I like his chances.
    Realistically this team is being built for the brooklyn transition. I can see a powerhouse/dynasty like team three years from now......just not yet and I don't say that lightly. Iv'e been following this team for decades and have never felt better.
    Now don't **** it up Garth
    Eh - we'll see. You're probably right in thinking about it. It's just that if we have hickey in there, we are soo small and that kills me - especially with the group of nasty DMen that will be ready 2 yrs from now. Q

Hickey isn't terrible (he payed pretty well during the regular season) - but I would move on from him if we could grab a cheap vet. JMO.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    A guy we often times forget about but if he's healthy, he could be in the running for one of the D spots as well. Having to make tough decisions is always a good thing.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Calvin de Haan has been coming to the New York Islanders' development camp since 2009, not long after he was the 12th player taken in the 2009 NHL Draft. Brock Nelson joined him a year later after the Islanders chose him with the final pick of the first round of the 2010 draft.

Both players were on hand again at Nassau Coliseum this week, but neither has any plans to be back for the 2014 camp. It's not that they don't enjoy getting reacquainted with future teammates. It's just that they're eager to take the step from being prospects to full-fledged NHL players.

De Haan's problems have been injury-related. He didn't have to show up at this year's camp, but opted to come in order to prove to the team that the dislocated shoulder he sustained last October while playing with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the American Hockey League is completely healed.

"I feel better than 100 percent," said de Haan, who has been plagued with injuries since the Islanders traded up twice to select him 11 picks after taking John Tavares with the No. 1 pick. "Obviously, last year was a drag. It happens to some young players and they bounce back. Hopefully I'm one of those guys. There are no problems with my shoulder."

Tavares already is a star -- he was a finalist for the Hart Trophy last season. De Haan has played all of one game in the NHL. So for now, he laughs when a reporter suggests he could serve as the official "greeter" because of his experience at development camp.

"It's fun to see the new faces, and old faces as well," he said during this week's camp. "It's a good way to see where I am against the new guys."

But when training camp starts in September, de Haan still will be one of those "new guys," battling for a job on the Islanders' blue line.

"I like to think I'm up there, challenging for a spot," he said. "Even though I only played three games last year, I still think I can hopefully make the squad this season. If I have to go down to Bridgeport, that's OK -- I just want to play hockey.

"I think the coaches know what kind of game I play and what I bring to the table. But at the same time, they want to see if I can hold up against the NHL size and speed."

That's a big consideration for a player whose size and strength always have been a question. De Haan turned heads in his first training camp -- he was the last player cut from camp before the start of the 2009-10 season. Since then, he's had a litany of shoulder injuries, including the dislocated left shoulder that ended his 2012-13 season.

He's added more than 20 pounds of muscle since being drafted, and the difference is noticeable. Now he has to prove he can stay healthy.

"Calvin's had ups and downs; he had some injuries last year," coach Jack Capuano said. "But he's strong. He's a high-character guy, and he's been through some tough times. But there are other guys who've battled through [injuries] and had a good career in the National Hockey League.

"He's healthy, he's positive, he's confident. He wants to be a part of the New York Islanders next year, and we want him to be, as well. We want to see our young kids succeed, so he'll come into camp and try to earn a spot."

If he does, he may well be reunited with Nelson, who spent all of last season at Bridgeport and finished his first pro season with 25 goals and a team-high 52 points. Nelson also got into one Stanley Cup Playoff game for the Islanders, and said the taste of the NHL has whetted his appetite for more.

"It was a bit of a whirlwind," he said of being recalled for Game 6 of the Islanders' opening-round series against the Pittsburgh Penguins. "It was a great experience. To get out there and play in a playoff game was pretty surreal. I just tried to take everything I could out of it. It was a great experience. The game's a lot faster, even from the AHL to here."

Nelson spent two seasons at the University of North Dakota, and after scoring 28 goals as a sophomore in 2011-12, he turned pro. He said his season in the AHL not only enabled him to add strength -- he weighs nearly 20 pounds more than he did when the Islanders drafted him -- but to learn what life as a professional hockey player is like.

"I think it was good in terms of development," he said. "It's a much different lifestyle compared with college. The game is faster-paced; guys are bigger, faster, stronger in all areas of the game. It was good to get that year of experience under my belt -- it was a good step for my development."

Capuano, for one, has been impressed with Nelson's growth.

"He's a guy who has really developed," Capuano said. "He came out of North Dakota and spent time in the American Hockey League -- put up really good numbers. More importantly, just his body and the way he's matured, his strength; he played a lot of hockey down there. He's a guy who's really come along for us."

The Islanders are coming off their first playoff appearance in six years and have built a core of impressive young talent. It's possible de Haan and Nelson could be teammates on Long Island -- or be back in Bridgeport together.

"There's going to be opportunities there," Capuano said. "It's a matter of what Garth [Snow, general manager] does during the offseason and where we stand."

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    A guy we often times forget about but if he's healthy, he could be in the running for one of the D spots as well. Having to make tough decisions is always a good thing.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads
    I'm rooting for him just like every other prospect but I'm not expecting anything from him.
    That is why I could see Griff making the team out of camp. Besides Hammer and Vis all of the other Dman too me are just meh.
    Now lets get ready for tonights game....it should be interesting too see what Pulock can do in the skills competition. Heard he has a decent shot

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm rooting for him just like every other prospect but I'm not expecting anything from him.
    That is why I could see Griff making the team out of camp. Besides Hammer and Vis all of the other Dman too me are just meh.
    Now lets get ready for tonights game....it should be interesting too see what Pulock can do in the skills competition. Heard he has a decent shot
    I thought I could possibly make it out to the Coliseum, but as I'm still in my office, there's now no chance.

The comparison that makes me drool Pulock = Al Macinnis. Wouldn't mind that one bit.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a little off topic from this thread but I've been watching some of the interviews they have up on Isles TV.
    Damn .....it sure looks like Strome has been hitting the weight room. He looks so much older already and his traps looked jacked up. Can't wait to see him crack the line-up cause you know he's been working his ass off.

Too bad about missing the game Crash. I wish I was there but its been 11 years since I even set foot back in NY. Next year no doubt...gotta see the old barn at least one more time.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a little off topic from this thread but I've been watching some of the interviews they have up on Isles TV.
    Damn .....it sure looks like Strome has been hitting the weight room. He looks so much older already and his traps looked jacked up. Can't wait to see him crack the line-up cause you know he's been working his ass off.

Too bad about missing the game Crash. I wish I was there but its been 11 years since I even set foot back in NY. Next year no doubt...gotta see the old barn at least one more time.
    I caught a little of the webcast and watched the highlights - the guys who should have impressed seemed to do so. Strome more than anyone.

And as you mentioned, it seems like his physique is impressing everyone. And the word is that he's been working out with JT and Dawn Braid (JT's skating coach) this offseason - that's good to hear.

Strome just seems like he's one of those pre-ordained superstars - maybe not quite in the Crosby/JT mold, but the guy who is always a level ahead of everyone else and everyone around him keeps his eye on him. I'd love to see what he can do when he steps up in competition and he's no longer head and shoulders above everyone else. He's the perfect example of the CHL/NHL arrangement holding a guy back. There's absolutely no reason he should have been skating with teenagers last year....but that's the way it goes. Pulock is one of those late birthdays so he will only have one more year in Jrs before he can go to the AHL.

Btw, I like how Pulock/Griff were on the same pairing last night. Fast forward to 15', that should be one of our top pairings for the next 10+ years.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I caught a little of the webcast and watched the highlights - the guys who should have impressed seemed to do so. Strome more than anyone.

And as you mentioned, it seems like his physique is impressing everyone. And the word is that he's been working out with JT and Dawn Braid (JT's skating coach) this offseason - that's good to hear.

Strome just seems like he's one of those pre-ordained superstars - maybe not quite in the Crosby/JT mold, but the guy who is always a level ahead of everyone else and everyone around him keeps his eye on him. I'd love to see what he can do when he steps up in competition and he's no longer head and shoulders above everyone else. He's the perfect example of the CHL/NHL arrangement holding a guy back. There's absolutely no reason he should have been skating with teenagers last year....but that's the way it goes. Pulock is one of those late birthdays so he will only have one more year in Jrs before he can go to the AHL.

Btw, I like how Pulock/Griff were on the same pairing last night. Fast forward to 15', that should be one of our top pairings for the next 10+ years.
    I couldn't agree more and that was great post. Strome is ready and I would be shocked if he spends more than 20 games in AHL. He really is everything you want in a top prospect. If you have not had the chance to watch his interview just before the game on the Isles site, please do so. Like I said before this kid is working his ass off and maybe thats why I'm not real happy with the UFA signings especially Bouchard. Because that is the one that might hold him back albeit temporarily.

Also loved the Pulock/Reinhart pairing but I'm even more intrigued by the Pedan/Mayfield pairing. There is no doubt some of these young guys are going too be called up at some point, if not make the roster outright(Griff).

There is absolutely no way that any other NHL team has this depth on the blueline. Scary good in 2-3 years.

And a funny skills competition BTW. Kabanovs shot was hilarious. He also looked like a much improved prospect in the game but take it for what its worth. Just a rookie scrimmage, but I can't get enough of it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    http://hockeythisweek.com/islanders-.../#comment-3276

This is a nice rundown of the Isles Top 20 prospects. And while this guy may be a tad optimistic in his projections, its ridiculous how deep the Isles blue line is. They have a legit full complement of defenders that are projected to be NHL-worthy players in the next 3 years. Obviously not everyone will make it, but the following guys are all projected to be Top 6 NHL D-men, with most projected to be Top 4:

Reinhart
    Pulock
    Mayfield
    Pokka (Seemingly the forgotten child but he was a 2nd round pick last year)
    Donovan
    Pedan
    DeHaan
    Pelech (Now we're getting a little distant, but he's supposed to be a tough/rugged Dman)

These guys all "should" be NHL regulars. We'll see what happens, whether they can stay healthy, etc., but assuming their development stays on course, guys like Brian Strait.

The Forwards, OTOH, are less deep and a little more tenuous. After Nelson, Strome and Lee, there is a lot of uncertainty. Hopefully one of the Russians (Kabanov/Petrov) or Swedes (Sundstrom/Persson) develop into something useful. Next couple of years the Isles really need to re-stock some wingers and forwards in general.

Btw, I find myself talking Isles hockey about 3x more than the Jets on this site over the past 4 months (Mostly repeating myself ).

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Bailey just signed for 5 years. A little over $3m/yr. Perhaps more than ideal, but I'm good with it. I think he can be the long term answer on JT's LW and hopefully he will prove that this year. Even if he doesn't improve as much as we hope, $3m isn't breaking the bank especially considering he is giving up 3 years of UFA.

The young core is pretty much locked up for the forseeable future. I like it.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

The young core is pretty much locked up for the forseeable future. I like it.

So is Okposo the next one to lock up? Anyone know his contractual situation?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    http://www.capgeek.com/player/1077

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    The only real questions that will come up are Moulson and MacDonald. AMac has been on a ridiculously cheap deal over the past 3-4 years and is an UFA after this year.

He has passed as a top pairing Dman for the Isles but I'm not sure if that is truly his worth. More accurately, he's a very solid 2nd/3rd pairing guy....and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm sure he is anxious to get paid, he certainly deserves to get paid and the Isles no doubt appreciate what he's done - especially last year. But, with what the Isles have coming up in the system, having Vish signed for the next two years, Strait signed cheaply for the next 3 years and Hamonic as the cornerstone of the blueline for the next 7, I'm not sure if AMac is in the plans....at least not at the price he'd likely command in FA. If a dude like Streit gets close to $5m/yr, I'm sure AMac will command a pretty penny as well.

And with the longterm signing of Bailey, the likely ascension of Strome and Nelson, I don't think Moulson is in the cards after this year either. Of course, him potting 35 goals this season may change the perspective some, but that will be harder to do if he isn't on JT's wing.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not real happy with the Bailey signing and it's not because I don't like him as a player. It is because he never earned those type of years/ dollars. I understand why it was done especially if they have him on JTs wing all year.
    My main contention is, why not just let it play out for a one year deal in arbitration. This would be a prove it year, playing on the 1st line and he is still RFA next year.
    Now if he finally can play a more consistent game than this contract could be very good for the Isles. He still is young and improving as is the team, and a 25/40 season will silence me. But we'll see. I hope it works out for both parties but I still would have rolled the dice and given it another year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only real questions that will come up are Moulson and MacDonald. AMac has been on a ridiculously cheap deal over the past 3-4 years and is an UFA after this year.

He has passed as a top pairing Dman for the Isles but I'm not sure if that is truly his worth. More accurately, he's a very solid 2nd/3rd pairing guy....and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm sure he is anxious to get paid, he certainly deserves to get paid and the Isles no doubt appreciate what he's done - especially last year. But, with what the Isles have coming up in the system, having Vish signed for the next two years, Strait signed cheaply for the next 3 years and Hamonic as the cornerstone of the blueline for the next 7, I'm not sure if AMac is in the plans....at least not at the price he'd likely command in FA. If a dude like Streit gets close to $5m/yr, I'm sure AMac will command a pretty penny as well.

And with the longterm signing of Bailey, the likely ascension of Strome and Nelson, I don't think Moulson is in the cards after this year either. Of course, him potting 35 goals this season may change the perspective some, but that will be harder to do if he isn't on JT's wing.
    I think you're right on this one. I understand why people are hard on Moulson and deservedly so but.....yes there is a but......the guy pots goals regularly. He might be painful too watch at times ( defensively in his own end comes to mind) but he scores. But I agree and think they'll move on from him this year. It will be a sad day for myself much like losing Streit but the timing would be right.

As for Amac let some other team sign that crap. I don't get the Amac love from Isles fans. He is a small dman who plays with no physicality, sucks at clearing the line, crease, and is ****ty on O also. Seeing him out on the 2nd pairing PP frustrates me more than anything else watching the games. It is a guaranteed O for. The sooner he leaves and these prospects step up the sooner we make a legitimate run for the cup. The only thing he is good at is eating minutes. I'd rather one of the prospects do that in his place the following year. Might be a great trade chip this season if some of the younger guys step up early or we are out of it by the deadline.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Btw, I find myself talking Isles hockey about 3x more than the Jets on this site over the past 4 months (Mostly repeating myself ).[/QUOTE]

Hilarious. I'm way more of a Jet fan than anything but have you seen the Landing Strip the last few months.