Page 20 of 48 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders - 2013

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Love this team....can someone tell me why Winnepeg fans hate Tavares? They booed every time he touched the puck
    Appears to be a Winnipeg thing -- they pick out one opposing player each game. This is from Newsday back in February:

So why the booing of Tavares in Winnipeg?
    Thursday February 16, 2012 2:19 PM By Mark Herrmann

What did John Tavares ever do to Winnipeg?
    You couldn't help notice that every time he touched the puck Tuesday night, he received serious boos, the way a particularly unfriendly player gets them when he returns to a hostile environment.
    But JT?
    That was mentioned to him after the morning skate here on Thursday in St. Louis. He knew all about it. He said the very vocal fans in Winnipeg pick out one visiting player to ride every game.
    I suggested that it probably is the best player.
    Coach Jack Capuano, walking by, said to Tavares, "Then why were they booing you?"
    Tavares laughed and suggested maybe they made a mistake

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't recall that the first game. Meh, whatever.

Who plays tomorrow's important games?

:looks like only one that matters is NJD vs NYR. NJD need a win to stay alive. A loss eliminates them, I think.
    Last edited by Big L; 04-20-2013 at 08:40 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    I don't recall that the first game. Meh, whatever.

Who plays tomorrow's important games?
    I think it is just the Rangers-Devils tomorrow. Not sure any of the other games matter.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, I had the displeasure of having to watch the Jets feed today.

During intermission, some fat jets homer was saing Oposo sent an elbow in to someone, and there would be a disciplinary look tomorrow and he should be suspended for 5 games. They then showed a replay, and I laughed. Did anyone see a blatant Okposo elbow with intent t injure?

And leafs just clinched. ThAt means 55 should get you in. 2 more for the isles and they're in.
    Last edited by Big L; 04-20-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad they couldn't salt that away in regulation. Oh well, we're almost there, just a little more work to do.

Winnipeg plays Monday @ Buffalo, Tuesday @ Washington and vs Montreal on Thursday. Last 3 games in 4 nights. Tough way to close it out. I hope we clinch at Carolina so we can give Nabby Thursday off.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Too bad they couldn't salt that away in regulation. Oh well, we're almost there, just a little more work to do.

Winnipeg plays Monday @ Buffalo, Tuesday @ Washington and vs Montreal on Thursday. Last 3 games in 4 nights. Tough way to close it out. I hope we clinch at Carolina so we can give Nabby Thursday off.
    Isles last 3 are in 4 nights, also. Bruins have something like 6 games in 8 days.

Hottest teams in the top 8 right now are Pitt, Washington, Isles, and Rangers.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Isles last 3 are in 4 nights, also. Bruins have something like 6 games in 8 days.

Hottest teams in the top 8 right now are Pitt, Washington, Isles, and Rangers.
    Yeah, but we don't have to play teams in contention. Agree, Bruins really getting hammered with the rescheduled games.

Speaking of "we", Jiggs was dropping the "we" at least twice during the game. Completely enjoying having him call these meaningful games. Butch sounds a bit like Edddie Westfall to boot. It sounds just like the old days of Sports Channel.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    And leafs just clinched. ThAt means 55 should get you in. 2 more for the isles and they're in.
    Isles still need 3 points to clinch. Winnipeg has the tiebreaker, so they will need some help from Buffalo tomorrow to have a chance at clinching on Tuesday night.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    So much for the Devils helping out. They are completely worthless right now...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So much for the Devils helping out. They are completely worthless right now...
    I don't have any numbers in front of me, but my guess would be they are one of the worst teams in hockey since about 15 or so games in.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thus far the Islanders have avoided the attention of the national sports media, but they are one of the hottest teams in pro sports the last few weeks, and I can see a national publication doing a piece on them in the near future. They're a great story (as we all know), but I can see them capturing the attention of a wider audience....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets go Buffalo!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, I had the displeasure of having to watch the Jets feed today.

During intermission, some fat jets homer was saing Oposo sent an elbow in to someone, and there would be a disciplinary look tomorrow and he should be suspended for 5 games. They then showed a replay, and I laughed. Did anyone see a blatant Okposo elbow with intent t injure?

It was pretty clear that the reason Okposo was pissed was Bogosian driving two guys into the boards. It was nice to see KO incensed like that and ready to take on Bogosian, who would likely beat the ever loving crap out of him. Considering the lineup the Isles dressed (the soft one) and the way they were getting the crap kicked out of them, it was nice to see someone sticking up for their teammates. Although I'm not sure we've ever seen him fight - maybe Okposo would surprise us.

Its really annoying that as well as the Isles have played, they haven't clinched anything yet. They are playing the bottom of the Eastern Conference this week, but that doesn't mean they can't go 0-3/0-2-1. Unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

Would be great to see Winnipeg lose on the road tonight. Then as long as we snag one point in Car, we can rest Nabby on Thurs and/or Friday.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, it was nice to see Strait back in the lineup. When he went down, he was probably our best two way D-man. The D has really picked it up in the past two months. Its nice to be able to roll out 3 pairings that are pretty much equal. Maybe not a true #1 pairing there, but no real weaknesses.

But against most potential playoff matchups, that backline is going to get manhandled. Vish, Hickey, AMac and Streit are pretty much midgets out there.

But the fact that guys like Hickey are playing some really good/smart hockey, makes it all but impossible to take them out of the lineup.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Also, it was nice to see Strait back in the lineup. When he went down, he was probably our best two way D-man. The D has really picked it up in the past two months. Its nice to be able to roll out 3 pairings that are pretty much equal. Maybe not a true #1 pairing there, but no real weaknesses.

But against most potential playoff matchups, that backline is going to get manhandled. Vish, Hickey, AMac and Streit are pretty much midgets out there.

But the fact that guys like Hickey are playing some really good/smart hockey, makes it all but impossible to take them out of the lineup.
    Very well said and I agree with everything you wrote, but have no fear because this is working his way through the Bridge.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=hlOvyTMOvq4
    Last edited by RobR; 04-22-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    How the hell do I embed a video. Sorry, computer challenged

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Very well said and I agree with everything you wrote, but have no fear because this is working his way through the Bridge.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=hlOvyTMOvq4
    I can't see youtubes at work. Reinhart, Mayfield or Pedan? I'd say its a little optimistic to expect them to come next year, but in 2014, our blueline is going to be nasty.

JMO, as hard as it will be to let him go, chemistry-wise, I really don't want Garth to re-sign Streit. He'll demand at least 2 years (maybe 3) and with Vish already locked up for 2 years, that would really be blocking the path of those three, Donovan and even DeHaan if he gets his **** together.

If Nilsson or Poulin develops, we really got something going.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I can't see youtubes at work. Reinhart, Mayfield or Pedan? I'd say its a little optimistic to expect them to come next year, but in 2014, our blueline is going to be nasty.

JMO, as hard as it will be to let him go, chemistry-wise, I really don't want Garth to re-sign Streit. He'll demand at least 2 years (maybe 3) and with Vish already locked up for 2 years, that would really be blocking the path of those three, Donovan and even DeHaan if he gets his **** together.

If Nilsson or Poulin develops, we really got something going.
    It's Pedan first professional fight and there is no way he'll even be close too bring up next year. I just love the young defenders in the pipeline but you are right. Only one here next year is Donovan, and I'm letting Streit walk. Personally I've given up on DeHaan.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Today is the mother of all moving days. Ottawa losing the last two is the only help we've had. Gotta keep on grinding. Have to expect the Rangers will win out. If the Caps beat the Jets in regulation and the Isles secure a point (or if the Isles win and Jets lose in OT or SO), I believe we will clinch a playoff spot.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today is the mother of all moving days. Ottawa losing the last two is the only help we've had. Gotta keep on grinding. Have to expect the Rangers will win out. If the Caps beat the Jets in regulation and the Isles secure a point (or if the Isles win and Jets lose in OT or SO), I believe we will clinch a playoff spot.
    Haven't gotten much, if any, help in the last 4 or 5 days!

Not a must-win tonight, but a big 2 points would sure help. I don't think the Isles have beaten Carolina this season. Tonight would be a good time to start.

Not sure who I want to win tonight. At first glance, Washington. That'd put Winnepeg down a notch, and barely holding out hope for a spot. If Winnepeg wins, they move to the 3 seed and bump Washington to the 8th or 9th (figuring the Rangers win tonight).

Washington's the hottest team in the East. Not sure I'd want to take them on in the first round. If the top 4 spots stay as is, I'd wish the Isles to grab the 5th spot from Toronto, and play Boston in the 1st round.

But that's looking WAY ahead. Just win tonight, that is all, and we'll see where the standings are in the morning.