Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders - 2013

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Cappy fvcked that one up before it even started. Your team plays their best game of the playoffs and you shake up the line-up.

Hickey AND Martinek over Carkner. WTF. And benching my boy Ullstrom for that lug Joensuu. I don't ever want too see a Hickey/ Martinek again over a Carkner ......especially in playoff hockey against this team.

Now the tough decision is who starts saturday? It will obviously be Nabby, but he just hasn't been right all series. It's like all of his strengths have turned into weaknesses. Good positioning, great glove.....what happened?
    If anything, this series just makes it even more clear that we need a legit goaltender. Nabby is too old and Poulin, Nillson, etc. are too green.

1st and 3rd for Bernier......sign me up.

Veteran
    Okay.... I'm a Pens fan so I'm happy. I called them in 6. So far so good, but you guys have a long run with this team a-comin.
    Everybody just pull out a copy of Goon and love the funny side of the game. Bonne Nuit

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    If anything, this series just makes it even more clear that we need a legit goaltender. Nabby is too old and Poulin, Nillson, etc. are too green.

1st and 3rd for Bernier......sign me up.
    I was going to wait until the season is over, but its clear Nappy is not the answer, and the isles need to pick up a goalie in the off season.

What's Nappy signed for? This his last season, or does he have another year?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    I was going to wait until the season is over, but its clear Nappy is not the answer, and the isles need to pick up a goalie in the off season.

What's Nappy signed for? This his last season, or does he have another year?
    I agree, time to move on from Nabakov this offseason - I am pretty sure his contract is up this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    I agree, time to move on from Nabakov this offseason - I am pretty sure his contract is up this year.
    If we can't get a stud goalie - I'd be ok with Naby for one more year. He has probably lost a lot of free agent value with this series- compared to what he'd have signed for at the end of regular season. I hope we can get someone else though.

We wasted an enormous amount of time with DP when someone else could have been developed or brought in. We're paying for it now.

I would have liked to see Montoya developed.
    Last edited by Timmy®; 05-10-2013 at 06:56 AM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    If we can't get a stud goalie - I'd be ok with Naby for one more year. He has probably lost a lot of free agent value with this series- compared to what he'd have signed for at the end of regular season. I hope we can get someone else though.

We wasted an enormous amount of time with DP when someone else could have been developed or brought in. We're paying for it now.

I would have liked to see Montoya developed.
    At the very least, they need a capable back up. If Nabby will be back, they need a number 2 who can spell him during the regular season. He looks like he ran out of steam for the last week of the season and its carried over to the playoffs.

But, enough of this talk of the offseason, they still have a game to win tomorrow.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post

And then the D fell asleep and allowed the breakaway that completely changed everything. Nabby's Fleury imitation on the 2nd goal was essentially the dagger. He played like crap, but honestly, the whole team mailed it in after it was 2-0.
    That second Fleury-like goal was a back breaker. You can see it on the faces of the players on the ice. There's the "Oh man, gotta stay cool" thought in their heads to give that outward appearance that everythings still OK, but they still look up at the rafters and drop their shoulders with a "Ahh what the fvck was that shlt, again, you ass hole"

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I don't disagree with the criticism of Nabby, but let's not lose sight of the fact that the Islanders didn't score a goal last night.

For a team that traded for Tim Thomas just so they could get to the salary floor (and not have to pay a player to do it), this team is performing remarkably well.

Imagine how good they could be if Wang actually opened up the wallet.

All League
    I don't disagree with the criticism of Nabby, but let's not lose sight of the fact that the Islanders didn't score a goal last night.

For a team that traded for Tim Thomas just so they could get to the salary floor (and not have to pay a player to do it), this team is performing remarkably well.

I agree with you that the team deserved to lose last night - it was not all on Nabby, but he certainly did not play well. They also made it easy on Vokoun, even though they had 30+ shots, they didn't have many great opportunities and didn't generate sustained pressure, at least over the last two periods.

That said, the fact that they are still in the series, despite giving up an average of 4 goals per game is astonishing, and I have not given up hope that they can find a way to get it done Saturday night.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

THIS. If you remember what was being written about the Islanders when the season finally started, there were "worst team ever" predictions and mocking terms like "Team Waiver Wire" being thrown around. The fact that we have a home game 6 against the frikkin Penguins makes me proud of these boys beyond belief -- and I was old enough to witness the glory years. I haven't felt this good about the franchise since I can't remember -- we have a great young nucleus and an awesome immediate future ahead of us.

LET'S GO ISLANDERS!!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    I think he will. He couldn't get any free agents to come here and he didn't really have much trade bait since he was developing from within for the future. With
    the announced move to Brooklyn and the team making the playoffs, the Islanders will attract more quality players. Regardless of what happens in the next two games, this has been a big, big, season

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Wouldn't be surprised if Nielson is out for tomorrow from the way they were talking about him. I wonder if they elevate a guy like Brock Nelson to Center that line? Would be a helluva introduction to the NHL.

Just please don't put Reasoner in.

And I missed the start of the game - was there any particular reason that Joennsu was in over Ullstrom? Didn't make much sense to me.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if Nielson is out for tomorrow from the way they were talking about him. I wonder if they elevate a guy like Brock Nelson to Center that line? Would be a helluva introduction to the NHL.

Just please don't put Reasoner in.

And I missed the start of the game - was there any particular reason that Joennsu was in over Ullstrom? Didn't make much sense to me.
    Staple is saying the injury to Frans is not serious and he should play next game.

Regarding Ullstrom out and JJ in, I have no idea. That is my biggest beef with Cappy....his line-ups can be truly head scratching.

Oh well....on to game 6.

All League

Tavares Hart Trophy finalist

Tomorrows game at 7pm.

From nhl.com-

Now in his fourth NHL season, New York Islanders center John Tavares has entered the ranks of the elite players in the League.

Tavares on Friday joined Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby and Washington Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin as finalists for the Hart Trophy, awarded annually to the "player adjudged to be the most valuable to his team."

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Staple is saying the injury to Frans is not serious and he should play next game.

Regarding Ullstrom out and JJ in, I have no idea. That is my biggest beef with Cappy....his line-ups can be truly head scratching.

Oh well....on to game 6.
    That's good to hear.

And re lineup, I agree. They came off a thrilling win on Tuesday where unfortunately a top Dman got hurt. Replace that guy and move on.

I like what Hickey did this season but as the team is currently constructed, he shouldn't be in the lineup. Even with AMac out, this team needs to have Carkner playing - even if its for 8 minutes. Its not like Carkner suddenly developed a weakness. He knew what he was getting into in game 2 when he dressed him. JMO, but yesterday was a failed experiment that didn't need to happen. Wouldn't have changed the result but still annoying.

All Pro
    New Islander Logo for the move to BKN? I Like it

All League
    Well here's to Nappy having a great game.

Lord knows that's probably not going to be the case, but here's to the great hope, allowing 2 goals or less.

Dare to dream....

7 more hours. Lets go Isles! Play a great game, ya wankers!

Veteran
    Lets force a game seven. Even looks like Nelson might be making his debut tonight.

All League
    Let's go pens!

Sid the kid

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Let's Go Isles.