Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders - 2013

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Terrible effort tonight. Need 4 points out of the next two games in Florida to get back into the chase.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ Haha, good one. The Isles NEVER win both on the Florida trip. Maybe one, if they're lucky. Seriously, I don't think they've won both games in at least a decade.

At least it was nice being at .500 for a few hours.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    the only solace is that it counts the same as if they lost 3-2 in the 3rd.

Once you saw that soft first goal go in, you knew it was going to be a long night.

The Isles have been sucking me in - at least they gave me a reason to turn the game off real early last night.

I'll take 3 pts in FL as long as they win in regulation against Tampa. This shortened season and only play your Conference makes every game seemingly a must win. With all the teams bunched up, losing means someone else close to you is gaining them.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    And one other thing that's bothered me for a long time....I still don't understand why OT games all of a sudden add an extra point to the equation.

Games should be worth 3 pts. If you win in regulation, you get 3pts. If the game goes to OT, the pts should be split 2 to the winner and 1 to the loser. Yeah the box score will be funky, but it seems pretty logical. Making a game 50% more valuable by adding a 3 pt doesn't seem to make sense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    And one other thing that's bothered me for a long time....I still don't understand why OT games all of a sudden add an extra point to the equation.

Games should be worth 3 pts. If you win in regulation, you get 3pts. If the game goes to OT, the pts should be split 2 to the winner and 1 to the loser. Yeah the box score will be funky, but it seems pretty logical. Making a game 50% more valuable by adding a 3 pt doesn't seem to make sense.
    That point for just getting to OT kinda skews the stats - Chicago with the 27 games to start with a point record. Well, what about 10 years ago when you didn't get a point for losing in OT? I don't think they would have set the all time record this year.

I think the 4-4 OT should be for 10 minutes, not 5. After ten if it's still tied, then each team gets a point, and that's that. No shootouts.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post

I've been an advocate of the 3 point regulation win since they added the shootout. It seems like a no-brainer.

Regulation win: 3 points
    OT win/shootout win: 2 points
    OT loss/shootout loss: 1 point
    Regulation loss: 0 points

You would make the end of regulation much more exciting and would eliminate the "settling" for OT that seems to happen in the last few minutes of a lot of tie games.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isles have any goalie prospects?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    As the Isles best chance to get a W is on Saturday at the Panthers (Panthers not so good this year. And that's saying a lot, coming from an Isles fan), they'll probably suffer a regulation L tonight. I can't recall the last time the Isles won both games of the Florida road trip.

But after three days off, I do expect physical play, finish your checks, and some good goal tending. You know, simple fundamental hockey.

Is that too much to ask?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Isles have any goalie prospects?
    Yes! They have this kid out of Boston University at Bridgeport... He's 3-2 with an .878 goals against average, but I understand he's locked up long-term.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Is that too much to ask?
    Probably. But I'm trying to stay positive...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Yes! They have this kid out of Boston University at Bridgeport... He's 3-2 with an .878 goals against average, but I understand he's locked up long-term.
    LOL. You mean he actually won 3? I admit, I'm surprised.

A coworker saw him a few nights ago. Comes in the next morning, and says "Whats wrong with him? Is he hurt?" I was like "LOL, no, he just sucks."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    0-0 after one. With Tampa's firepower, I wasn't expecting that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isles up1-0 after two. Doesn't bode well with their penchant for blowing it in the third. Hopefully they've put that shlt behind them.

Playing well so far, Nabby looks good. More proof he shouldn't play in back-to-backs.

Of course, because I said he's looked good so far, he will be awful in the third.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I'll be dipped in shlt. Didn't think they'd win. Good game, Nabby played well the entire game.

Hope they win on Saturday.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice win. Nabby was sharp and needed to be. A few close calls at the end.

MUST get 2 points this weekend vs the worst team in the NHL.

Jets are up on the Rangers 2-1 in the third. Don't care about the outcome as so much it is decided in regulation.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Very nice win. Nabby was sharp and needed to be. A few close calls at the end.

MUST get 2 points this weekend vs the worst team in the NHL.

Jets are up on the Rangers 2-1 in the third. Don't care about the outcome as so much it is decided in regulation.
    A three point game there doesn't help.

Still rooting for Winnepeg, though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I'll be dipped in shlt. Didn't think they'd win. Good game, Nabby played well the entire game.

Hope they win on Saturday.
    Naby is very good. The Isles neglected a backup goalie for years like the Jets neglected a backup qb. Let guys like Montoya go and kept DP.

Poulan needs to step up, he'll be the deciding factor. This short season has more games crammed into a short period, Naby can't play them all.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Naby is very good. The Isles neglected a backup goalie for years like the Jets neglected a backup qb. Let guys like Montoya go and kept DP.

Poulan needs to step up, he'll be the deciding factor. This short season has more games crammed into a short period, Naby can't play them all.
    Nabby's good when he has 3 days rest. Just cant do the back-to-backs. Gotta get Poulin in there.

Now the semi bad news. Did a little research on the Isles Florida trips. The last time they outright WON both games vs. Panthers and Lightning was back in October 2001. In November of 2003, they beat Tampa and TIED Florida. Then in March of 2011, they beat Tampa and then beat Florida in a shoot-out. Otherwise, in the last dozen years, they haven't beaten both teams. No statistician here, but I'd say that's at best a 1 in 5. So historically speaking, the Isles have about a 20% chance of winning tomorrow. I hope they do, as the Panthers are a bad team,and they should win it, but, like the Jets, it wouldn't surprise me if they lose to a bad team.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Nabby's good when he has 3 days rest. Just cant do the back-to-backs. Gotta get Poulin in there.

Now the semi bad news. Did a little research on the Isles Florida trips. The last time they outright WON both games vs. Panthers and Lightning was back in October 2001. In November of 2003, they beat Tampa and TIED Florida. Then in March of 2011, they beat Tampa and then beat Florida in a shoot-out. Otherwise, in the last dozen years, they haven't beaten both teams. No statistician here, but I'd say that's at best a 1 in 5. So historically speaking, the Isles have about a 20% chance of winning tomorrow. I hope they do, as the Panthers are a bad team,and they should win it, but, like the Jets, it wouldn't surprise me if they lose to a bad team.
    Or you can look it it this way.... They are overdue to break the streak.

Florida sucks. The Isles don't. 2 points required. A must have to stay within grasp of the 8 sed.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

When I read "now the bad news"....I assumed someone was hurt. I didn't realize you we're going all Voodoo/cursed on me. If the Isles blow it tonight, it's on account of them being inconsistent as **** and have a suspect defense, not on account of their prior results.

So, yeah....I give them a 1 in 5 shot as well