Page 19 of 48 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders - 2013

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    NVMC is a complete dump, but there is no better place to actually watch a hockey game. The worst seat in the house is still closer than you'll get in a lot of other arenas - especially when you factor in price, it is an amazing value.

Tonight is another moving day in the Eastern Conference

NY Islanders at Toronto

Toronto has slipped a bit, and I think two out of two points are within the realm of possibility.

Florida at NY Rangers

The Panthers have spent the past two nights in Manhattan and will likely still be drunk when they take the ice. There is a zero percent chance they win tonight against the Rangers.

Tampa Bay at Montreal

I have no idea how/why Tampa sucks so badly. So much talent, so many losses. I assume they lose again.

Washington at Ottawa

Rooting for a regulation outcome, one way or another. Washington has been a buzzsaw.

New Jersey at Philadelphia

Hoping NJ wins so they at least stay somewhat interested vs the Rangers for their 2 games.

Carolina at Winnipeg

Canes are in tank mode. Jets in a route. (Something I usually never say on this website...)
    Last edited by Traitor Jay & the Woodies; 04-18-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    NVMC is a complete dump, but there is no better place to actually watch a hockey game. The worst seat in the house is still closer than you'll get in a lot of other arenas - especially when you factor in price, it is an amazing value.

NY Islanders at Toronto

Toronto has slipped a bit, and I think two out of two points are within the realm of possibility.

Florida at NY Rangers

The Panthers have spent the past two nights in Manhattan and will likely still be drunk when they take the ice. There is a zero percent chance they win tonight against the Rangers.

Tampa Bay at Montreal

I have no idea how/why Tampa sucks so badly. So much talent, so many losses. I assume they lose again.

Washington at Ottawa

Rooting for a regulation outcome, one way or another. Washington has been a buzzsaw.

Hoping NJ wins so they at least stay somewhat interested vs the Rangers for their 2 games.

Carolina at Winnipeg

Canes are in tank mode. Jets in a route. (Something I usually never say on this website...)
    I was watching the Lightning/Jets shootout the other night and they didn't send out any of Lecavalier, Stamkos or St. Louis for the first two rounds. Are you kidding me? You have the best scorer in the league (and one of the more dynamic skaters/scorers as well) and you don't even give them a chance to shoot?

It almost seems like they are tanking for picks at this point.

I can't figure out who I want to win in the Ottawa/Washington matchups. The permutations are seemingly endless. I certainly agree that whatever happens, we need it to end in regulation. Ultimately, I think I'd rather see Ottawa sweep - that would go further towards ensuring the Isles make it. And while position is nice, I just want a playoff spot at this point.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    I had the pleasure of going to the game last night. If I was a Long Island Islanders fan I would be heartbroken that the Coliseum is in it's last days. What a fantastic intimate atmosphere. I've read about the supposed decay of that place but I found it to be very comfortable with fantastic sight lines. I haven't enjoyed a sporting event that much in decades. A lot more fun than Jets games. Crowd wasn't filled with drunks either. So much fun.

Oh, and the Ice Girl Christi, she doesn't look like anything special on the Isles website, but she may be the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. Got within a foot of her after the game for a few minutes. I pretty much melted. It was painful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Totally agree. I grew up in Massapequa during the Dynasty, and it's just sad that we're losing them to that hellhole, Brooklyn.
    Agree about the Coliseum. Once inside the seating area, there is no better place to watch a game. And more than any other venue, my childhood was spent at the Coliseum watching the Isles.

But, Brooklyn is a helluva lot better than KC or Quebec. For me personally, its also a lot closer. For most fans, it will be a bit harder to get there, but with the LIRR right there, its accessible enough to all but the farthest reaches of Suffolk.

Can't blame the Isles though. And if you are still in the city, its REALLY easy for us. I'm on the UWS - it takes me 30-35 minutes door to door to get to Barclays.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post

NY Islanders at Toronto

Florida at NY Rangers

Tampa Bay at Montreal

Washington at Ottawa

Carolina at Winnipeg

My head spins thinking about who I want to win tonight. Isles, of course. After that, I have no idea.

Hate to say it, but NHL.com said Leafs can clinch tonight with a W and some Carolina help. That means 55 points gets you in. Therefore, 6 more Isles points should secure a spot.

Leafs goalie has been tremendous lately, forgetting about their last game. Tonights game will be a tough one, for sure.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Agree about the Coliseum. Once inside the seating area, there is no better place to watch a game. And more than any other venue, my childhood was spent at the Coliseum watching the Isles.

But, Brooklyn is a helluva lot better than KC or Quebec. For me personally, its also a lot closer. For most fans, it will be a bit harder to get there, but with the LIRR right there, its accessible enough to all but the farthest reaches of Suffolk.

Can't blame the Isles though. And if you are still in the city, its REALLY easy for us. I'm on the UWS - it takes me 30-35 minutes door to door to get to Barclays.
    In the parking lot I was thinking "Holy S***". Those really cheezey signs by some company that escapes me look totally bush league. "We're the Orange Soda with Your Pizza" WTF?

I got my beer easy

got a great shirt for my wife - size small

didn't take long to piss between periods

i really don't see the problem

I used to go to Chicago Stadium to see the Blackhawks - that place smelled like piss.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    In the parking lot I was thinking "Holy S***". Those really cheezey signs by some company that escapes me look totally bush league. "We're the Orange Soda with Your Pizza" WTF?

I got my beer easy

got a great shirt for my wife - size small

didn't take long to piss between periods

i really don't see the problem

I used to go to Chicago Stadium to see the Blackhawks - that place smelled like piss.
    That's surprising. Usually the only way to take a piss between periods is to go in the exit door. The lines usually extend about a gate and a half. But other than that, I agree. There's enough food options that you won't go hungry and you can find a beer if you need one.

Is it the same experience as going to the re-vamped Garden? Not by a long shot. But, at the Garden, there's nothing like having the mascot walk around the joint and give hi-fives to the kids. For my 2 year old, that was the highlight of his game experience. His grandparents got him a stuffed Sparky and now whenever there's an Isles game on, he runs to his room and grabs Sparky so that he can also watch the game. There's nothing cuter than that - and it comes directly from his experience at the rinka-dink arena.

It is literally crumbling around the players though. The ice surface is awful on account of the condensers not all working. THat's pretty bad.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm wondering if Bolton/Carkner are going to skate tonight.

I'd say at minimum Carkner in for Radek M. I'd keep JJ in over Boulton (who gives nothing much beyond keeping Orr in his place), but I can understand giving him what will probably be his last ice time of the year.

The Leafs have Orr/McClaren/Fraser who are real tough - I wouldn't want Martin to basically be on his own in making sure that JT and the rest don't get manhandled.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Just something I was wondering....how do lineups work in the NHL? Does the visiting team have to decide first who they are going to dress and does the Home Team then get to give their active list - sort of like a line change? Or do both teams simply decide on their lineups at the same time?

If one team gets to decide first, its a pretty big advantage.

I always thought that in baseball, a team could really pull a fast one by announcing a that a righty is pitching, have the other team give in their lineup cards and then scratch that pitcher and start a lefty instead. Kinda scummy, but a fairly big advantage nonetheless.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carkner in for Martinek and it's looking like Boulton might be in for Joensuu. Also looks like Zeeker is playing which should give us a lift. And no Reasoner....thank god.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    After the first 7 minutes, I thought the Isles were going to get steamrolled.

But then a couple fights, and they got their shlt together and beat up the Leafs.

Nice job!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is just not the same team we have been watching all year.....even though it is mostly all the same players.

Great well deserved two tonight. Now we need Carolina too come back.

Not a big fan of Cappy (mainly because of his bizarre line-ups) but I give credit when it is due. He has this team playing fantastic and I would hate to be the other team that matches up with us in the playoffs.

That is if we make it, Game of the season saturday. GO Isles.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just watched the third period of Caps-Sens game. After watching Isles hockey both of those teams looked like absolute s***. Terrible passing and skating.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice win for the Islanders in Toronto

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Winnipeg's winning streak is as unexpected as it is annoying. I feel after this April stretch, we should have a lot more of a cushion...

Only positives tonight were the Devils winning. I hope that gets them going against the Rangers.

Washington finally lost. It's amazing that as red hot as they have been, they can easily miss the playoffs. They cannot shake the Jets and have an absolutely brutal last few games.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    This is just not the same team we have been watching all year.....even though it is mostly all the same players.

Great well deserved two tonight. Now we need Carolina too come back.

Not a big fan of Cappy (mainly because of his bizarre line-ups) but I give credit when it is due. He has this team playing fantastic and I would hate to be the other team that matches up with us in the playoffs.

That is if we make it, Game of the season saturday. GO Isles.
    Cappy for Coach of the Year?!

Definitely amazing. Remember that pile of dogshlt that was on the ice earlier this year? Hope we don't see that again.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Cappy for Coach of the Year?!

Definitely amazing. Remember that pile of dogshlt that was on the ice earlier this year? Hope we don't see that again.
    I guess. But does this guy even talk? I don't even know what he's been doing-although he's made some good line up changes.

I'm giving credit to Snow, he inherited a team nobody wanted play for and grabbed Naby, Moulson, Viz, and Grabbner. Handled the Viz and Naby situations beautifully. Imagine the Isles without one or two of those guys. No playoffs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would have loved to see them hold on in regulation, but that 2nd point this afternoon was huge. Now, I can't figure out who I want to win in Ott-Tor game tonight.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fvck yeah!

Just finished watching - had to leave right after Winnepeg tied it at 4.

Great two points. I feel they played well enough to winit in regulation, but I'll take the two with the shoot out. Seems like the few breakdowns he isles had, the Jets capitalozed on them. Overall played a solid game, though I think Nabby got a little out of position more than he should have.

Agree with the above - not sure who to root for, Ottawa or Toronto. The best is a regulation outcome, either way.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love this team....can someone tell me why Winnepeg fans hate Tavares? They booed every time he touched the puck

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Love this team....can someone tell me why Winnepeg fans hate Tavares? They booed every time he touched the puck
    Dunno, found that odd myself. Tavares is Canadian, you'd think they'd cheer, or at least sit quietly.