Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's Do It This Way: Who would it be *acceptable* for Jets to draft at #9

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    There are 64 starting guards in the NFL, some good and some bad, and in the last 10 years only 6 guards have been taken in the first round (And off the top of my head Ben Grubbs isn't a starter)

Does that mean that 26 teams have trouble running the ball up this middle for 4 yards and can't protect their quarterbacks from blitzes up the middle? Or does that mean no matter how talented the guard prospect that a guy outside the first round will give you the same amount of production?

Edit: Just because there is a smaller sting financially for taking players in the first round with the new CBA doesn't mean you get to go full retard and take a guy that you could (and should) get in later rounds

Grubbs starts for the Saints...he replaced Carl Nicks.

I agree with parts of what you said.

If you go by the very basic premise that of the 1st rounders, 1/3 are absolute studs, 1/3 are adequate players that are one contract guys, and 1/3 are busts...then the concept of taking a guard high makes little sense, even if it is more economically feasible under the new rookie wage scale. In essence, under that premise you are saying that you are most likely not to get good return when drafting a guard top 10.

That being said, Warmack has a high possibility of falling under that 1/3 are studs premise. The problem is we don't definitively know if he'll be a stud or just an adequate to slightly above average player (regardless of all the film/scouting reports).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Grubbs starts for the Saints...he replaced Carl Nicks.

I agree with parts of what you said.

If you go by the very basic premise that of the 1st rounders, 1/3 are absolute studs, 1/3 are adequate players that are one contract guys, and 1/3 are busts...then the concept of taking a guard high makes little sense, even if it is more economically feasible under the new rookie wage scale. In essence, under that premise you are saying that you are most likely not to get good return when drafting a guard top 10.

That being said, Warmack has a high possibility of falling under that 1/3 are studs premise. The problem is we don't definitively know if he'll be a stud or just an adequate to slightly above average player (regardless of all the film/scouting reports).
    The four other guys around Warmack could be considered top prospects as well. An interior lineman benefits from others around them being good players unlike tackles who are left to fend for themselves.

People also shouldn't forget that Alabama barely attempted 220 passing attempts the entire year That can make youwonder about how many times a game he can drop back and pass block especially considering who our new OC is

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Edit
    Last edited by Monsterxman; 01-25-2013 at 07:08 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    The four other guys around Warmack could be considered top prospects as well. An interior lineman benefits from others around them being good players unlike tackles who are left to fend for themselves.

People also shouldn't forget that Alabama barely attempted 220 passing attempts the entire year That can make youwonder about how many times a game he can drop back and pass block especially considering who our new OC is
    +1 to all of this.

There is no reason a team like the Jets, devoid of play makers on both sides of the ball, can afford to use a 1st round pick on a friggin guard.

They better pick a guy who can have a major impact.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    +1 to all of this.

There is no reason a team like the Jets, devoid of play makers on both sides of the ball, can afford to use a 1st round pick on a friggin guard.

They better pick a guy who can have a major impact.
    I know you might not want to hear it but an O-Lineman might have the biggest immediate effect of any offensive player we could draft at our position. This is a weak class for WRs and there are plenty of quality RBs to be had in the second/third round. A lock down OL will make our running game better by leaps and bounds, and our passing game better as well (especially if Mr. Happyfeet himself, Sanchez, is still running the show).

The only other position I would want to go in the first round would be OLB which is a dire need for our team as well. I do believe there is a lot of depth at OG/OT so addressing that in the second would be optimal for me.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    And to build on that point, I cannot for the life of me see any QB worth taking at #9, all the experts have said that this is a very non-elite class of QBs and every QB has questions, there's no clear number one, etc.

This being the case I would absolutely sh!t a brick if we went QB in the first round unless we traded down, and even THEN I wouldn't be happy about it.