Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revis is as good as gone

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Revis is as good as gone

I can't see anyway he stays especially after all this. All signs point to him leaving and were going to have to expect it. Don't expect anything amazing in return. We're not getting multiple first round picks. I understand that this is pessimistic and ill get a lot of hate but I think we all have to come to terms with it. This is not a bad thing either we can't afford him might as well get something for him

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, yea. I think most of us have come to realize this by now.

He's a great player, but he's a luxury.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a bummer. He's one of the best, if not the best player the jets have ever had. I understand the reasons most fan want him gone, but the fact that he was a drafted player that became legendary only happens a few times to a franchise and makes this tough to stomach. Am I excited about the prospective picks and/or players? Of course, but I would rather he retired as a Jet so we could at least have the bragging rights of propagating an all-time corner.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by geekbeatking View Post
    What a bummer. He's one of the best, if not the best player the jets have ever had. I understand the reasons most fan want him gone, but the fact that he was a drafted player that became legendary only happens a few times to a franchise and makes this tough to stomach. Am I excited about the prospective picks and/or players? Of course, but I would rather he retired as a Jet so we could at least have the bragging rights of propagating an all-time corner.
    him retiring a jet is as much his decision as it is ours. see: tom brady's contract.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by N Y J View Post
    I can't see anyway he stays especially after all this. All signs point to him leaving and were going to have to expect it. Don't expect anything amazing in return. We're not getting multiple first round picks. I understand that this is pessimistic and ill get a lot of hate but I think we all have to come to terms with it. This is not a bad thing either we can't afford him might as well get something for him
    The Jets will be lucky to get one first round pick for D Revis.
    EVeryone knows the guy is unbelievable talent and worth way more than that if all things were equal.
    JMO I think the best you're looking out is a number 2 pick from a team.

Why? No one trading a first round pick plus paying Revis contract(close to Qb salary). He gets to free agency than you will see a bidding war for his services.( only cost a team money)

This is the first big decision Jets new general manager has to make. Do you sign him to a ridiculous contract now? Do you let him play out this year and in 2014 watch him leave as unrestricted Fa. (Getting a late third rounder-really a fourth rounder back in 2015). Or do you trade him and get what you can. Probably a second rounder. None of these scenarions that involve trading Revis is very appealing as the Jets aren't getting back fair value for the player ability.

Unfortunately for the Jets that what they are looking at in the Revis situation.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 01-25-2013 at 05:28 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Revis would resign for $12 mil a year, with good guaranteed money...Jets would probably do it. Then trade Cro. But Revis and his agents are looking for best defensive player in the game contract. Not cornerback money...but what you would give a franchise QB...$15-18.

Some players out perform their contracts...Revis has out performed his cornerback position.

What Revis and his agents decide they want to do...is just as important as what the Jets are capable of doing.

It's true that the Jets may not be able to get a #1 pick. But perhaps a #2...then throw in a #4 or 5.

The CAP is a mess. And so is the Jets offense. Then there are only 10 out of 22 starters signed to contracts. Since FA veterans are looking for their last big payday...high quality FA signings will be near impossible.

The draft is where the Jets are going to have to turn to stock and rebuild the talent base. So the Jets strategy looks to be to try and move Revis, and maybe another quality veteran or two. Then enter the draft with around 10 picks. Jets could also try and trade down from the #9 spot in the draft. And acquire a couple more picks.

If Jets can draft in 2013, around 12 players. That is the cheapest way to bring in fresh new talent and depth to the team...at a variety of positions of need. Use the 2014 draft to continue the talent rebuilding process. Free the CAP in 2014, by cutting some bad high end veteran contracts. And sign a couple of quality FAs to fill out the roster needs.

IMO...this is the right way of building the new foundation...and getting this team back on track as a perennial playoff contender. Which could start as early as 2014...and should be no later then 2015.

This may suck to some here...but...it is what it is.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another strategy you did not mention is trading players for picks that you package for more premium picks. So in essence 13 picks goes to 8 picks of higher percentage successful starter caliber.

In essence not trading down, but repositioning higher in the draft with a full arsenal of picks ... Not a surplus of picks.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    So many folks are all set on trading Revis, but there are so many variables here, here are just a few:

-If we trade Revis, Cromartie will want Revis like money. So it comes down to Revis, or Cromartie. You choose.
    - Getting rid of Cromartie next year will free up $9.5M to sign Revis. So again it comes down to Revis, or Cromartie.
    -Revis is the 9th highest paid player on this team, he could be doing alot better if he signs a new contract this year.
    - If Revis waits till next year for a new contract he risks losing that opportunity if he's injured again.
    - Cromartie's value could be at an all time high while Revis's value may be at an all time low. Can we get more trading Cromartie? Not sure.
    - We save $1.25M this year against the cap if we trade Cromartie, nothing if we trade Revis.

Now that being said, there's alot to be said for keeping Cromartie. Of the two he is the most versatile, but Revis is clearly the better CB and better tackler. Also Cromartie's injury history has been better than Revis'.

So one way, or another it comes down to Revis, or Cromartie.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    My $.02, the Jets are negotiating right now to resign Revis. That's what all these trade rumors are about. The Jets are saying you're not worth that much that we won't consider trading you. Sign now, secure your future and be done with it.

I think we'll have both Revis and Cromartie on our roster next year (unless someone blows us away with an offer for either one of them), then we'll chose in 2014 whether we'll trade, or go forward with Cromartie. Cromartie is an UFA in 2015.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    So many folks are all set on trading Revis, but there are so many variables here, here are just a few:

-If we trade Revis, Cromartie will want Revis like money. So it comes down to Revis, or Cromartie. You choose.
    - Getting rid of Cromartie next year will free up $9.5M to sign Revis. So again it comes down to Revis, or Cromartie.
    -Revis is the 9th highest paid player on this team, he could be doing alot better if he signs a new contract this year.
    - If Revis waits till next year for a new contract he risks losing that opportunity if he's injured again.
    - Cromartie's value could be at an all time high while Revis's value may be at an all time low. Can we get more trading Cromartie? Not sure.
    - We save $1.25M this year against the cap if we trade Cromartie, nothing if we trade Revis.

Now that being said, there's alot to be said for keeping Cromartie. Of the two he is the most versatile, but Revis is clearly the better CB and better tackler. Also Cromartie's injury history has been better than Revis'.

So one way, or another it comes down to Revis, or Cromartie.
    Did Cro tell you that?? Cro was drafted 19th in the first rd a year before Revis. Even after he made All Pro in his 2nd year he wasn't the holdout type like Mevis is.. He could have been insulted when the team went after Asomugha and signed with the Raiders for more money but he didn't.. He doesn't compile money like Mevis he compiles kids..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes he is.

And Rex and Tanny are to blame for that. They get equal blame. Letting the talent on this team, mainly the offense, deteriorate to a level where we have to make impossible decisions. If the cap was the only problem I think we would be able to work things out. But we have a cap and talent problem. Too many holes to fill with no cap room to fill them. That is not all Tanny's fault.

I hope everyone that is upset about this realizes how much Rex is responsible.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Well, yea. I think most of us have come to realize this by now.

He's a great player, but he's a luxury.
    you should get a sandwich board...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Yes he is.

And Rex and Tanny are to blame for that. They get equal blame. Letting the talent on this team, mainly the offense, deteriorate to a level where we have to make impossible decisions. If the cap was the only problem I think we would be able to work things out. But we have a cap and talent problem. Too many holes to fill with no cap room to fill them. That is not all Tanny's fault.

I hope everyone that is upset about this realizes how much Rex is responsible.
    I agree on Rex being responsible. He said so on the press conference. Now he wants an attack offense to go along with his attack defense.

What I disagree with is how bad shape we're in. The defense needs at least one OLB and a FS. If we plug 1-2 holes on the OL, sign a Flynn, or Smith and draft solid WR, RB, TE, QB we should be much improved. Next year we add a top tier RB and a replacement for Holmes and another QB if that position isn't where we want it to be this year.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 01-25-2013 at 07:42 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    The Jets will be lucky to get one first round pick for D Revis.
    EVeryone knows the guy is unbelievable talent and worth way more than that if all things were equal.
    JMO I think the best you're looking out is a number 2 pick from a team.

Why? No one trading a first round pick plus paying Revis contract(close to Qb salary). He gets to free agency than you will see a bidding war for his services.( only cost a team money)

This is the first big decision Jets new general manager has to make. Do you sign him to a ridiculous contract now? Do you let him play out this year and in 2014 watch him leave as unrestricted Fa. (Getting a late third rounder-really a fourth rounder back in 2015). Or do you trade him and get what you can. Probably a second rounder. None of these scenarions that involve trading Revis is very appealing as the Jets aren't getting back fair value for the player ability.

Unfortunately for the Jets that what they are looking at in the Revis situation.
    Well said sir. The bottom line is that Revis is doing this to himself. Any team that signs him is going to write huge checks and a huge check for a DB is a luxury most teams cannot afford.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree on Rex being responsible. He said so on the press conference. Now he wants an attack offense to go along with his attack defense.

What I disagree with is how bad shape we're in. The defense needs at least one OLB and a FS. If we plug 1-2 holes on the OL, sign a Flynn, or Smith and draft solid WR, RB, TE, QB we should be much improved. Next year we add a top tier RB and a replacement for Holmes and another QB if that position isn't where we want it to be this year.
    How many mea culpas and mulligans is Rex going to get? He did the whole "blame me" thing after the 2011 season. Now he is preaching this "first day" BS. It is Year 5, not Year 1.

As for the roster, that is a lot of holes to fill for a team that is not in "bad shape". And when you don't have a QB . . .

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is how the Jets thank him after his holdouts?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paying Revis QB money is like building a mansion in a bad neighborhood. Location, location, location. All we can hope for is a bidding war. Somebody out there is going to think they are a Revis away from the SB. Now if only there are two someones we may get something good. The way to get two ones is to make the second one conditional for next year, or even two years from now. A lot of GMs won't last two years(unless Revis helps them win), and they'll care more about winning now than about future picks. Thank God trader Mike gave him that no franchise clause. What an idiot. The good thing is that there are other idiot GMs out there. Jet fans are just so fatalistic that they can't see it(I hope).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex may very well be responsible, but he shouldn't be. He's a coach, not a GM. If he was given GM responsibilities that's not his fault. Take them away now, and let's move on.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    hes just a pleasure to watch, best tackler on the field and the best player they have had in 25 years..

i would hate to see him go and hope they negotiate a long term deal...

hes worth the money imho

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Did Cro tell you that?? Cro was drafted 19th in the first rd a year before Revis. Even after he made All Pro in his 2nd year he wasn't the holdout type like Mevis is.. He could have been insulted when the team went after Asomugha and signed with the Raiders for more money but he didn't.. He doesn't compile money like Mevis he compiles kids..
    Ok so you're angry that Revis held out, I can understand that, but going forward it's not about holding out.

Revis is a free agent in 2014, Cromartie will be right behind him in 2015. It's safe to assume that either will get whatever the market will bear when their contracts come up. If Revis signs for mega $ it will set the market for Cromartie's value. At the end of the day we'll either be paying Revis, or Cromartie. We will get savings from losing one of their big salaries, but the difference between one and the other won't be monumental. So we need to pick who we want more.

If they choose Cromartie, then they should trade Revis now. No cap benefit for trading Revis BTW.

If they choose Revis over Cromartie, then it makes sense to sign Revis now and trade Cromartie this year, or next. Cap benefit for trading Cromartie $1.25M.

So no matter how you slice it, the jets will need to decide between the two.

Based on this logic I wonder which the posters on this board would pick?

Also Cromartie's base salary is $7M vs. Revis $3M. To be fair when you add in bonuses (some which are not guaranteed) Cromartie makes $10.75M to Revis $9M in 13.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 01-25-2013 at 08:37 AM.