Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Revis is as good as gone

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    exactly. a lot of the fear and remorse over revis potentially leaving, is that the jets actually drafted him. he's ours. he's an elite, possible HOF player and the jets may deal him. yet, nearly all the jets problems are on offense, and revis wouldn't help there. he can't fix the cap, he'll only hurt it more. it's an irrational stance, the position to lock up revis long term. the league is about offensive efficiency and pass rushers. that's where the jets should invest their money. watching the playoffs, in which game did the announcers say 'wow, the cornerback really won the game for them today'. it doesn't happen.
    Probably the same posters that wanted us to sign Nnamdi Asomugha. How has that worked out for the Eagles?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    The only thing pointing to him leaving was some more baseless media generated crap. No one knows what goes on behind closed doors. We'll know what is going to happen when it happens.
    Pete, the thing only things that point to him leaving is his stated desire to be one of the highest paid players in the NFL and why he put the "no tag" in his contract if he otherwise did not want to explore FA? Given those two actions plus his reluctance to be paid slot wise when he was drafted and his previous holdout lends credence to the speculation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Yes, possibly in NE, but Hill dropping the pass wasn't his fault. Defense made plays vs NE. If Revis had played would we have made the playoffs? No. Not even close.

Revis played vs Pittsburgh.
    No he didn't. He had the concussion that game

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    No he didn't. He had the concussion that game
    Ah yes, my bad. We would have won had he played.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Pete, the thing only things that point to him leaving is his stated desire to be one of the highest paid players in the NFL and why he put the "no tag" in his contract if he otherwise did not want to explore FA? Given those two actions plus his reluctance to be paid slot wise when he was drafted and his previous holdout lends credence to the speculation.
    Everyone wants to be one of the highest paid players in the NFL. He has also stated he wants to finish his career as a jet and I am sure he is well aware of the cap situation plus he is coming off a major injury, so maybe those expectations are tempered a bit. Does it make sense to trade Revis if the price is right? Probably. But that is not my point. My point is the story is nothing but speculation by the media. It has been neither confirmed nor denied. Anyone on this board could have written that story as it did not require any inside info or source.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone wants to be one of the highest paid players in the NFL. He has also stated he wants to finish his career as a jet and I am sure he is well aware of the cap situation plus he is coming off a major injury, so maybe those expectations are tempered a bit. Does it make sense to trade Revis if the price is right? Probably. But that is not my point. My point is the story is nothing but speculation by the media. It has been neither confirmed nor denied. Anyone on this board could have written that story as it did not require any inside info or source.
    I think it was Brian Billick on the Mike and Mike show yesterday who said it was probably posturing by the Jets b/c they know Revis' history and contracts.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and as far as Revis saying that he wanted to retire as a Jet, in his situation who wouldn't say that?

there should also be an asterisk to the want to retire a jet comment -

*-if the money is right.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand some of the people here.

The defense played as well as it could have for the rest of the year. We showed we can be a good defense without Revis. What good is having Revis, and possibly the best defense in the league.

I've asked this half a dozen times, and nobody answers.

How many more games would the Jets have won this past season if Revis played the entire season?

The glamor of having the best defensive player in the league (which is not even close - even when he's 100%) is better than having a better team? The way things are isn't working.
    Its because people want Revis as consolation for not wining superbowls. People want him to equal what Ted Williams was to the Red Sox. I'd rather have a Tino Martinez, Scott Brosius and win a SUPERBOWL in my life time. I'm nearing 40 years old.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    So much of this is about a grudge against Revis for holding out. He's the best player on the Jets, yet has the 9th highest salary on the team. If the Revis haters had to deal with that situation in their job I'm sure they'd be looking for other offers.

And with regards to Cromartie, I'd keep quiet too if I was making more money than one of the most dominant players in football. If you ask me, take a look at David Harris salary, yet no hate on that guy. You want to save money go there. Currently he's the highest paid player on the team.
    where do you get this 9th highest salary stuff? didnt he already make 30-40m over the past 3 years?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly. I want Revis to retire a Jet as much as everyone, but reality is that he's going to cripple us financially in the future MORESO than we already are.
    So you prefer Cromartie, or Harris crippling us financially?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Harris is gone after 2013. One of the worst contracts in the NFL.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    First of all, two players' salaries equaling Revis' salary is not the same. You want one elite player, who will not impact the team in the long run (No, Revis does not equal championships by himself) instead of having room for multiple talents?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's too much money to be locked in for a CB. He would never take a discount. This day and age CBs are coveted and still I don't think paying Revis QB money is worth it. He's amazing, would love it if he stayed, but the benefits of trading him outweigh keeping him. Now I know it's the jets we're talking about, but if they SOMEHOW hit on the two or three picks we get, I know crazy thought that they could hit on multiple picks, that could drastically change our team. These are the kinds of trades Walsh made and Jimmy Johnson and turned their teams around. Sometimes you got to sacrifice.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitexxi View Post
    Its because people want Revis as consolation for not wining superbowls. People want him to equal what Ted Williams was to the Red Sox. I'd rather have a Tino Martinez, Scott Brosius and win a SUPERBOWL in my life time. I'm nearing 40 years old.

You're a silly Yankees fan if you would take tino and brosious over williams.
    you forgot the rest of the yanks roster that was bought. tino and brosious only win when there's no salary cap