Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Revis is as good as gone

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand some of the people here.

The defense played as well as it could have for the rest of the year. We showed we can be a good defense without Revis. What good is having Revis, and possibly the best defense in the league.

I've asked this half a dozen times, and nobody answers.

How many more games would the Jets have won this past season if Revis played the entire season?

The glamor of having the best defensive player in the league (which is not even close - even when he's 100%) is better than having a better team? The way things are isn't working.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

The defense played as well as it could have for the rest of the year. We showed we can be a good defense without Revis. What good is having Revis, and possibly the best defense in the league.

How many more games would the Jets have won this past season if Revis played the entire season?

The glamor of having the best defensive player in the league (which is not even close - even when he's 100%) is better than having a better team? The way things are isn't working.
    They would have won 0 more games with Revis. Did you see ur qb play? We could have brought back lawrence taylor in his prime and it would not have matter.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's why Tanny was fired;

Paying big money to the wrong players
    No Franchise Tag on DR
    Drafting 2nd Rd Projects

Just bumbling around with his decisions. I can't even say that they were short term or long term decisions. There looked to be no real plan in place here.
    Last edited by Jetdawgg; 01-25-2013 at 10:01 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Why a better team with players not as good as Revis? When you trade all time elite players, history shows you get much less in return

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, I would love to keep Revis and I feel that Tanny messed up and instead of paying that ridiculous contract to Santonio he should of locked up Revis as a Jet for life. A lot of the so called experts on this site say that Revis can be neutralized.

Well I think that is incorrect.

A DC would know how to make the adjustments on the field to make sure that does not happen. Revis does not have to be on #1 receiver all the time. You also got a pretty good #1B CB in Cromartie who can cover with the best of them.

That being said I went over the cap and it would be impossible to sign Revis. Unless Idzik comes up with a miracle and gets Sanchez and some other players that performed terribly to take a paycut and is able to trim the fat from the roster. Then maybe its possible.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    They would have won 0 more games with Revis. Did you see ur qb play? We could have brought back lawrence taylor in his prime and it would not have matter.
    There. You're the first person to say it. Zero.

We played fine enough on defense.

If we had a better QB and OL, how many more games would we have won?

More than zero would be my guess.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Why a better team with players not as good as Revis? When you trade all time elite players, history shows you get much less in return
    Cripple the franchise with his contract, or see him leave next year and get nothing. Him playing next year won't change the overall team's record.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by N Y J View Post
    I can't see anyway he stays especially after all this. All signs point to him leaving and were going to have to expect it. Don't expect anything amazing in return. We're not getting multiple first round picks. I understand that this is pessimistic and ill get a lot of hate but I think we all have to come to terms with it. This is not a bad thing either we can't afford him might as well get something for him
    The only thing pointing to him leaving was some more baseless media generated crap. No one knows what goes on behind closed doors. We'll know what is going to happen when it happens.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trade Cromartie who is making a ton of Money. Free up money and give him the contract he would get on the open market. Or maybe he leaves for the Pats so all the Mevis people can be happy

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

We would have won ZERO extra games likely.

If Revis would sign a reasonable long term contract now I would be for that, but I doubt he would be interested and the injury issue is probably just not far enough along. Revis based on previous history WANTS to be a free agent to get every cent he can. I just do not see us devoting 25-30% of the cap to CB. So it comes down to two options:

1, Have him for one more year, try to sign him as FA but likely lose and get a compenstational third

2. Trade him now, and get probably minimum a but more likely a 1 and maybe still as high as a 1 and a conditional pick.

I have to say, personally, seeing the defense perform without him, that I would prefer the second option.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    I'd like to see him traded to Oakland where can die a slow death.
    I'm with you.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    fine, I have no problem getting rid of revis. We haven't won any super bowls with him. You can use the money it would take to keep him to sign 4 other players. Maybe even a QB or pass rusher which are more pressing needs.
    Can u explain to me how signing 4 avg players makes us any better? Cause if u can't sign your own superstar am I suppose to believe ur gonna sign other big name players in midst of a bidding war in free agency..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    We would have won ZERO extra games likely.

If Revis would sign a reasonable long term contract now I would be for that, but I doubt he would be interested and the injury issue is probably just not far enough along. Revis based on previous history WANTS to be a free agent to get every cent he can. I just do not see us devoting 25-30% of the cap to CB. So it comes down to two options:

1, Have him for one more year, try to sign him as FA but likely lose and get a compenstational third

2. Trade him now, and get probably minimum a but more likely a 1 and maybe still as high as a 1 and a conditional pick.

I have to say, personally, seeing the defense perform without him, that I would prefer the second option.
    Exactly. I want Revis to retire a Jet as much as everyone, but reality is that he's going to cripple us financially in the future MORESO than we already are.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    him retiring a jet is as much his decision as it is ours. see: tom brady's contract.
    The cold hard business fact is, a DB in today's game is not worth Elite QB money. Plain and simple. Look around the league and ask yourself, How many shutdown corners are there and how have the teams that don't have one fared? I think you'll find there are plenty top tier teams without a "shutdown"corner. Revis likes his money, and he'll have to find it somewhere else.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like

good post.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    The cold hard business fact is, a DB in today's game is not worth Elite QB money. Plain and simple. Look around the league and ask yourself, How many shutdown corners are there and how have the teams that don't have one fared? I think you'll find there are plenty top tier teams without a "shutdown"corner. Revis likes his money, and he'll have to find it somewhere else.
    exactly. a lot of the fear and remorse over revis potentially leaving, is that the jets actually drafted him. he's ours. he's an elite, possible HOF player and the jets may deal him. yet, nearly all the jets problems are on offense, and revis wouldn't help there. he can't fix the cap, he'll only hurt it more. it's an irrational stance, the position to lock up revis long term. the league is about offensive efficiency and pass rushers. that's where the jets should invest their money. watching the playoffs, in which game did the announcers say 'wow, the cornerback really won the game for them today'. it doesn't happen.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still don't see this as set in stone as some are portraying it. Our new GM was just introduced yesterday. We're a long way from that to trading the franchise's best player just because of a few leaks about Woody's comments behind the scenes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    There. You're the first person to say it. Zero.

We played fine enough on defense.

If we had a better QB and OL, how many more games would we have won?

More than zero would be my guess.
    So you're saying that having revis in for that NE game couldn't have made a difference? Remember that crucial PI by Wilson late in the game? Or in Pitt when cro let Wallace catch a TD right in front of him? The defense played well this season, but not well enough to win close games. And how is getting rid of revis fixing the QB situation?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    So you're saying that having revis in for that NE game couldn't have made a difference? Remember that crucial PI by Wilson late in the game? Or in Pitt when cro let Wallace catch a TD right in front of him? The defense played well this season, but not well enough to win close games. And how is getting rid of revis fixing the QB situation?
    Yes, possibly in NE, but Hill dropping the pass wasn't his fault. Defense made plays vs NE. If Revis had played would we have made the playoffs? No. Not even close.

Revis played vs Pittsburgh.

EDIT: Concussion. No he didn't. Thanks for the correction.
    Last edited by John_0515; 01-25-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Cripple the franchise with his contract, or see him leave next year and get nothing. Him playing next year won't change the overall team's record.
    Why not just pay him the whole Cap we don't need any other players Revis will play O and D and we will go 16-0.. At least that's the feeling I get from the Revis Rough Riders..