Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Revis is as good as gone

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis has brought this upon himself. He is greedy, plain and simple. I wanted him traded during his last holdout. Now he will play the card where the fans are suffering and the big bad Jets are causing this riff. Stop.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    Revis has brought this upon himself. He is greedy, plain and simple. I wanted him traded during his last holdout. Now he will play the card where the fans are suffering and the big bad Jets are causing this riff. Stop.
    I'd like to see him traded to Oakland where can die a slow death.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    How many mea culpas and mulligans is Rex going to get? He did the whole "blame me" thing after the 2011 season. Now he is preaching this "first day" BS. It is Year 5, not Year 1.

As for the roster, that is a lot of holes to fill for a team that is not in "bad shape". And when you don't have a QB . . .
    Agree on both counts, but I am optimistic we will be better this coming year than last.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's unbelievable how many people here actually HATE this guy as if he stole money from you or ****ed your wife.

Weird.

I don't care about the hold outs because when he plays on Sunday, he is the best in the world at what he does, maybe the best ever. The best get paid in every profession, always have, always will.

I'd rather pay the best than pay for clowns like Sanchez and Holmes. Silly me.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 01-25-2013 at 08:44 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are all nuts. Jets = the worst franchise in Football. Jets will probably trade him to the Skins and he wins a superbowl. The same thing happened with Keyshawn. Keyshawn and Revis are probably the hardest playing and talented Jets that they've had in 50 years. And what do the Jets do, trade them away!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis still controls the tempo of these discussions. If he does not consent to a new deal right away then any prospective trade partner will be looking at a one year rental.

Now coming off an injury if someone offers you a multiyear contract then that would be pretty tough to turn down but if you feel like you can prove you are all the way back and then land a windfall in a year then you might be willing to roll the dice for a year and prove it.

Alternatively take the money from the new team and then hold out in the out years if the money at that time appears to be disrespectful of your talents

Why would any team trade for those problems?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post
    hes just a pleasure to watch, best tackler on the field and the best player they have had in 25 years..

i would hate to see him go and hope they negotiate a long term deal...

hes worth the money imho
    He's not the best tackler on the field. He the best DB tackler on the field. Landry hits harder and is a better tackler.

During the Denver game a few years ago against Tebow. Tebow did an end around and ran right by Revis. So much for his being the best tackler. He was a deer in the head lights when he saw the freight train coming at him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    Agree on both counts, but I am optimistic we will be better this coming year than last.
    I applaud your optimism. I just think we are in for a lean year. But anything can happen. 2006 was supposed to be a lean year. A quick turnaround is possible.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    You guys are all nuts. Jets = the worst franchise in Football. Jets will probably trade him to the Skins and he wins a superbowl. The same thing happened with Keyshawn. Keyshawn and Revis are probably the hardest playing and talented Jets that they've had in 50 years. And what do the Jets do, trade them away!
    So much of this is about a grudge against Revis for holding out. He's the best player on the Jets, yet has the 9th highest salary on the team. If the Revis haters had to deal with that situation in their job I'm sure they'd be looking for other offers.

And with regards to Cromartie, I'd keep quiet too if I was making more money than one of the most dominant players in football. If you ask me, take a look at David Harris salary, yet no hate on that guy. You want to save money go there. Currently he's the highest paid player on the team.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 01-25-2013 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Type

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Yes he is.

And Rex and Tanny are to blame for that. They get equal blame. Letting the talent on this team, mainly the offense, deteriorate to a level where we have to make impossible decisions. If the cap was the only problem I think we would be able to work things out. But we have a cap and talent problem. Too many holes to fill with no cap room to fill them. That is not all Tanny's fault.

I hope everyone that is upset about this realizes how much Rex is responsible.
    As much as I'm unhappy with Rex you are off base here. Ill just go by an old saying my parents said to me and I'm sure to you too; if your friends jump off a bridge will you follow? Tanny should have had the balls to say no, he didnt.

Idzik at least is not just a money manager and will have the confidence to make those tough decisions.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by geekbeatking View Post
    What a bummer. He's one of the best, if not the best player the jets have ever had. I understand the reasons most fan want him gone, but the fact that he was a drafted player that became legendary only happens a few times to a franchise and makes this tough to stomach. Am I excited about the prospective picks and/or players? Of course, but I would rather he retired as a Jet so we could at least have the bragging rights of propagating an all-time corner.
    Actually, this would be the first time that this has ever happened with the Jets organization! And then, how funny is it that they'll end up trading the lone bright spot that they have on the team, and as the OP stated, likely not get much for him in return, given his injury and contract statuses...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh hes gone alright. Great move by Woody and the jets. Get picks for this guy now as we have 0 intention of negotiating another contract with this guy.

More draft picks to take offensive playmakers. Great move Woody. Keep up the good work.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Rex may very well be responsible, but he shouldn't be. He's a coach, not a GM. If he was given GM responsibilities that's not his fault. Take them away now, and let's move on.
    Common sence has no place in these forums. Lets continues passing the buck around.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trading probably the best jets player Ever atleast top 2. is gonna be the biggest disaster ..

Especially when we trade him for not near his Value .. Once those reports leaked yesterday all of any leverage we had went out the window ..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    Ok so you're angry that Revis held out, I can understand that, but going forward it's not about holding out.

Revis is a free agent in 2014, Cromartie will be right behind him in 2015. It's safe to assume that either will get whatever the market will bear when their contracts come up. If Revis signs for mega $ it will set the market for Cromartie's value. At the end of the day we'll either be paying Revis, or Cromartie. We will get savings from losing one of their big salaries, but the difference between one and the other won't be monumental. So we need to pick who we want more.

If they choose Cromartie, then they should trade Revis now. No cap benefit for trading Revis BTW.

If they choose Revis over Cromartie, then it makes sense to sign Revis now and trade Cromartie this year, or next. Cap benefit for trading Cromartie $1.25M.

So no matter how you slice it, the jets will need to decide between the two.

Based on this logic I wonder which the posters on this board would pick?

Also Cromartie's base salary is $7M vs. Revis $3M. To be fair when you add in bonuses (some which are not guaranteed) Cromartie makes $10.75M to Revis $9M in 13.
    What about all the up front money he made? I get so sick and tired of millionaires crying poverty and the fans who peddle the tin cups for them.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by N Y J View Post
    I can't see anyway he stays especially after all this. All signs point to him leaving and were going to have to expect it. Don't expect anything amazing in return. We're not getting multiple first round picks. I understand that this is pessimistic and ill get a lot of hate but I think we all have to come to terms with it. This is not a bad thing either we can't afford him might as well get something for him
    What is "this"???. Please tell me what happened recently that would change the way the Jets handle Revis.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love Revis and it would be wonderful if he retired as a Jet... however we need to be realistic with what is possible in a salary cap model.

My only hesitation in trading him for picks is the possibility that we will miss on the picks we get back... imagine we draft players like Vlad Ducasse and Kyle Wilson... that would be tragic.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Another strategy you did not mention is trading players for picks that you package for more premium picks. So in essence 13 picks goes to 8 picks of higher percentage successful starter caliber.

In essence not trading down, but repositioning higher in the draft with a full arsenal of picks ... Not a surplus of picks.
    Yes you can do this too. Quantity or quality...you can make a case for either approach.

Right now...neither of us knows what Idzik's strategy for the draft will be.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    All the reason more why it sucks that Kyle Wilson isn't working out. This could have been avoided if he turned into the player the front office thought he would.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    fine, I have no problem getting rid of revis. We haven't won any super bowls with him. You can use the money it would take to keep him to sign 4 other players. Maybe even a QB or pass rusher which are more pressing needs.