Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is the worst time ever to be a New York Jets fan

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

This is the worst time ever to be a New York Jets fan

In the past, You'd read a thread title like this and think that you are about to read a rant from a fan who is dissapointed with The New York Jets. Just another obsessed fan ranting about a certain aspect of the team. Whether it be a losing streak or a poor management decision or just the overall depression of being a long time suffering Jets fan and having not won a championship in ages.

No, This thread has nothing to do with John Idzik's lack of charisma or the potential departure of what could be the Jets greatest player ever in Darrelle Revis.

This rant is all about the coverage of the Jets by the local and national sports media. The general negative disdain, mistreatment and general mockery by the media towards the New York Jets. Now I know that some will see this as a "homer" fan that only wants to read fluff pieces about his favorite team. Nothing can be further from the truth. I am a realist.(Go see my current state of the Jets thread). I want facts and honest observations.

Honesty and factual reporting has nearly dissapeared from the national landscape of the media. Perception has become reality without facts to back up the perception. It's sickening. It's gotten to the point where you don't want to listen to anyone talk about the Jets and you don't want to read anything written about the Jets. When I click on a football website like pro football talk or come across a football tv or radio show or read any football publication, I hope that no one is writing anything about the Jets. I have been a fan of the Jets for 31 years now. I can't recall a time in their history where the Jets were so poorly covered and treated by the media.

The constant digs directed against the Jets in what are supposed to be legitimate news articles. To top it off, You get irresponsible and phony journalism from the local and national media. It's become more than just mocking a team for losing. As a matter of fact, It has nothing to do with the team going 6 and 10 last year. So what does it have to do with than exactly?... Oh yeah, The so called Circus and Dysfunction of the New York Jets franchise.

The negative treatment that the Jets get is attached to every thing they do. I don't care if they are signing players to future contracts. They get ripped. Several teams meet with Tyrone Matheiu and the story becomes Same Old Jets meeting with questionable characters. By the level of poor treatment that the Jets get from the media. You would think that they used illegal tactics to record their opponents practices and sideline signals to steal plays. You would think that the Jets employed a bounty system to injure players. You would think Woody Johnson has sold a stake of his team to Al Jazeera. That's how bad the treatment of the Jets has become by the media.

Back to the perception parade orchestrated and mastered by the media. Let's get back to the "Circus and Dysfunction" of the New York Jets.

Let's review the "Circus" elements of the Jets. Give me a minute while I think about them......... Rex Ryan is an out going personality. He's self depricating and talks too much. He builds up his players too much and tends to stick his chest out a lot when he is winning. You can see why people wouldn't like him based on that. He has a tattoo of his wife and has some sort of foot fetish thing with his wife. The Jets did Hard Knocks a couple of years back. Outside of Antonio Cromartie's troubles with his kids names, I really can't think of any negative or unprofessional acts that the Jets did during that whole show. The GM fielded some punts?......

Santonio Holmes being disgruntled. This was dysfunctional. He got benched. There were words and problems with him behind the scenes. He's not the first sports player to do this and won't be the last unfortunately but it happened with the Jets. Ok, what else is there?.... As an organization, The Jets may have made some mistakes the last couple of years drafting or signing players but nothing "circus" like. The Holmes and Sanchez contracts burned them but was there any dealings by the team or management that were dysfunctional.... I don't think so. Have there been any Teo like scandals with the team?....NO.... So where are the other instances of the Jets being dysfunctional or circus like?.... There aren't any other instances.

Look, I am all for criticism of the team. I am all for the team being ripped for it's failings the last two seasons. I am all for certain players, coaches and aspects of the team on the field being criticized. What, I am against is how the Jets organization is being unfairly depicted and treated. It's a disgrace and in some respects an injustice to the public. The media creates the perception and the perception becomes reality.

You want to rip the team, Go for it. I do it myself. Just present the facts.
    Last edited by YJF; 01-25-2013 at 01:02 AM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    When legend becomes fact, print the legend.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tell me that the Jets don't have to shoulder most of the blame.

You don't get away with the dumb stuff they do without getting called on it.

Even the current Revis crap. Why is it out there? The coaches and front office should keep their yaps shut.

Anyone who thinks that the team hasn't brought this on themselves is naive.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    When legend becomes fact, print the legend.
    Thanks Foggy. Great response to my post. Liberty Valance. I love that quote. It's perfect for this discussion.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Tell me that the Jets don't have to shoulder most of the blame.

You don't get away with the dumb stuff they do without getting called on it.

Even the current Revis crap. Why is it out there? The coaches and front office should keep their yaps shut.

Anyone who thinks that the team hasn't brought this on themselves is naive.
    Oh wow. You went two ways on this one.

dumb stuff.....name it.

The Revis story. How do we know that anyone in the front office or coaches opened their "yaps" about it. Woody claims he didn't say anything. Idzik was only in the building today and just started his job. The Jets just put together a new coaching staff. So where did the story leak from exactly? Jason LaCanfora. Did Any Reid end up in Arizona?

Brought on by themselves?... Explain further. What has been done to have anything "brought onto themselves".

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    why exactly is now the worse time to be a Jets fan? lol I sure don't share your thoughts.....it was a tough 6-10 season....as a fan since 1975 (when I attended my first game at Shea stadium, I have seen much worse seasons....we have a new competent GM and new coaches....sorry but I'm excited about the 2013 season and the many changes...if we lose Revis (which I do not want) then so be it...it's football and it's a buisness.....we cannot give up the farm for him. Get something in return and move on....the draft is in a couple months....this roster will look quite different next season.....you and many others can keep with the doom and gloom.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not get caught up in all the bad media about the Jets.....that means crap to me...I make my judgement with what the team does....as far as I can see....major changes are a coming....I am rational enough to wait and see what happens before I lay waste to the 2013 season.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree, at least the team is making a attempt to improve the mess it created ,we will see in the next few months,if Woody is serious about changing the JET image, or this is still for show.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    exactly

Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    I disagree, at least the team is making a attempt to improve the mess it created ,we will see in the next few months,if Woody is serious about changing the JET image, or this is still for show.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cant imagine anything being worse than 1990 to 1995..but this is a very embarrassing period. I think REX will be/has been exposed as a DC unable to manage a team and accordingly we will be a 9 win team AT BEST.

This Idzik hire reminds me of the Coslett/Steinberg hire. A sense of excitement for something new but when the curtain opened, we got nothing.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Media has always been about "breaking the story." Back when there were daily newspapers and weekly (or whatever) TV shows, there was time to actually work on a story with hard-hitting, undeniable facts. Also, there used to be a fraction of the number of "media" members there are today. It was easier to work on a legitimate story without getting scooped.

"Breaking the story" remains the main goal (for most) of the media today. But now with the 24 hour news cycle and an infinite number of "journalists", there is no time to formulate a factually-driven story -- unless it's a feature. 140 characters and shoot it off for the whole world to see. Or take a glance at what one of your peers wrote and piggyback your way to a story of your own. Everything now is a "source story" and hardly anyone does serious fact-checking anymore (true reporters do). No time for all that "work," gotta be the first to post, whether I am correct or not. No editors on Twitter.

Even beat writers -- those who are paid to report news of the team they cover -- now consider themselves columnists and add personal opinions into what should be news stories.

The NY media is just rolling with the changing of the times. Still a little journalistic integrity here and there wouldn't hurt. But their job is to get readers and the best way to do that is writing about the horror stories -- whether they are there or not.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YJF View Post
    dumb stuff.....name it.

Brought on by themselves?... Explain further. What has been done to have anything "brought onto themselves".

Really? Do you even pay attention?

Tebow?
    Favre?
    SB guarantees?
    Trading half our draft picks and wondering why the roster is so depleted?
    Santonio Holmes in Miami?
    Braylon Edwards in Miami?
    Plaxico Burress?
    Derrick Mason?
    Vlad Ducasse?
    "The Terminator"?
    Drew Stanton?
    Sal Alosi?
    Tony Sparano?
    The Wildcat?
    "Soon to be champs"?
    Woody's tantrum over the giants playing the first home game at Met Life?
    Hard Knocks?
    "Sanchez gives us the best chance to win."
    Feet
    Flipping the bird at a wrestling match.

Sure I missed a few (dozen) things. But I have to go to work.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    I do not get caught up in all the bad media about the Jets.....that means crap to me...I make my judgement with what the team does....as far as I can see....major changes are a coming....I am rational enough to wait and see what happens before I lay waste to the 2013 season.
    As usual JF your the voice of reason I concur..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    holy sh*t i miss this ol school ji

posters came from the woodworks for this thread..thanks for bringing some sanity..we could be alot worse off..at least were not chargers fans

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could not disagree more ...

Last Year was the worst time to be a Jets fan.

.... and yes I am including the Kotite era ....

The sheer volume and magnitude of chicanery, bafoonery, ineptitude and overall incompetence was astounding, resounding and far beyond the realm of sanity.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Nut up or move on." - Kraft.

The media sucks. But I blame the Jets for that as much as anybody. This is a direct result of Rex's open door policy as well as his personlaity. There is a reason why certain HCs restrict media access. We went from one extreme to the other, going from Mangini to Rex.

As for the team on the field, if we are going to suck, I just hope we are sucking at the right time. Like the Colts did twice. Maybe I am handling this better than some people b.c I actually saw this coming in 2011.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 01-25-2013 at 07:46 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    disagree...this time last year was much worse IMO- Giants vs Pats Super Bowl? The two week build-up to the game was pure torture

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Hard Knocks?
    Hard Knocks was awesome and we still went to the AFCCG. Hard to say it had any negative impact (F-bombs aside).

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    YJF - I agree with just about everything you said.

The scary part of all of this - Santonio Holmes - he was the one guy and maybe the only guy, on the Jets who knew the media was out to get them and when he talked about it in camp he got slaughtered because of it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    Pretty much, though I def. see where the OP is coming from.

Sad watching my son listen to the abject negativity from the media, but like I told him....you run your mouth, you'd better be able to back it up.

Rex ran his mouth, now we Jet fans are all in the middle of the MMA mat getting muscled elbows to teh eye sockets while the ref is looking at the ceiling.

It will be all the more delicious when we finally do something with a legit team.

Right?

-