Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 75

Thread: This is the worst time ever to be a New York Jets fan

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    why exactly is now the worse time to be a Jets fan? lol I sure don't share your thoughts.....it was a tough 6-10 season....as a fan since 1975 (when I attended my first game at Shea stadium, I have seen much worse seasons....we have a new competent GM and new coaches....sorry but I'm excited about the 2013 season and the many changes...if we lose Revis (which I do not want) then so be it...it's football and it's a buisness.....we cannot give up the farm for him. Get something in return and move on....the draft is in a couple months....this roster will look quite different next season.....you and many others can keep with the doom and gloom.


    Exactly, there's been many times in the past much much worse.
    Believe it or not this has been the best decade in Jets history, yet the media, SOJF and social misconception want us to believe the Jets are in the darkest despair of their existence.

    This current state of Circus/dysfunction as it pertains to the Jets is a manifestation of the social media and instant gratification of today's society.

    Quoting Crazy Train by Ozzy : The media sells it and you live the role. The mantra of the SOJF.

    Today people are too lazy to research or put any time into what that read/write or believe. Someone Tweets something and its becomes gospel. Facts get twisted by a columnist and a ****storm follows. And worst of all the SOJF mentality wants to perpetuate the frenzy by feeding it endlessly.

  2. #42
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Really? Do you even pay attention?

    Tebow?
    Favre?
    SB guarantees?
    Trading half our draft picks and wondering why the roster is so depleted?
    Santonio Holmes in Miami?
    Braylon Edwards in Miami?
    Plaxico Burress?
    Derrick Mason?
    Vlad Ducasse?
    "The Terminator"?
    Drew Stanton?
    Sal Alosi?
    Tony Sparano?
    The Wildcat?
    "Soon to be champs"?
    Woody's tantrum over the giants playing the first home game at Met Life?
    Hard Knocks?
    "Sanchez gives us the best chance to win."
    Feet
    Flipping the bird at a wrestling match.

    Sure I missed a few (dozen) things. But I have to go to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    It's odd that your post is getting ignored. Some people love to create their own delusions and live in them.

    Having to teach "Sanchize" how to slide.
    Hotdog gate.
    The big game booger wipe on Mark Brunnel.
    The fact that Brunnell was the backup.
    Thinking the team was out of playoff contention in 2009 or 2010.
    With 3 games left and at shot at the playoffs, the team collapses. Two years in a row!
    Dumbing down the plays for "Sanchize".
    GQ.
    Possibly underage girls.
    No more team captains rather than confront S Holmes.
    No more Jericho.
    No more Danny Woodhead.
    "The dumbest play in NFL history."
    Butt fumble.
    Blowout losses.
    Car crashes.
    Division rival in last year's Super Bowl.
    Rival NY Giants in Super Bowl after Rex said the Jets were no longer the little brother or some such.
    Alex Smith (the player that represents Mark Sanchez's ceiling) gets benched and they are in this year's Super Bowl.
    Joe Flacco (the guy that routinely got dogged for being worse than Sanchez) leads his team to this year's Super Bowl.
    4 years with one of the worse QBs in the league.
    Firing everybody but the two people that are failing to execute.

    ...but it's the media's fault? Brace yourself because if history has taught us anything during Rex Ryan's tenure it's that just when you think things can't get any more embarrassing they do.
    And let's not forget the things the Jets have said about each other :

    (UPDATED: A quote bonanza, seven more, December 4)

    Before we lose track due to the sheer amount of them, let's maintain a list of the words and actions that the team has taken against itself:

    Namath signals the alarm after Oakland "You keep telling a player how good he is, he’s going to start believing it to the point that he may not be preparing quite the way he should."
    Moore made captain halfway through season.
    Ryan says "the stupidest play in NFL history.”
    Schottenheimer says "In reality, Mark kind of got fooled."
    Jacobs "Shut up fat boy."
    Jenkins "When toughest player on team is the coach, you've got problems."
    Santonio implosion in Miami.
    Holmes "I was tapped on the shoulder so I came out."
    Rex "I wasn't aware of the offense, I was focused on the defense."
    Cromartie points finger "talk to the offense".
    Scott flips bird, wants out.
    Sanchez speaks company line.
    Revis "leave me alone, won't talk".
    Rex cries in front of team.
    Cotchery on Santonio "I don't know that guy."
    Rex says "too many captains, that was my big mistake".
    Jenkins "no toughness on this team".
    McElroy "selfish, corrupt, disconnected locker room."
    Tomlinson intimates he's not coming back, needs a win-now team.
    Manish article 'unnamed sources' Sanchez lazy.
    Rex says "out of touch with team".
    Rex says "not going to change, gotta be me."
    Woody "they should be (in turmoil)".
    Mason questions Sanchez.
    Callahan leaves.
    Weeks leaves.
    Schottenheimer resigns.
    Smith "The Maybeast" Intern resigns.
    Higgins resigns.
    Tomlinson "They created this. This is the type of football team that they wanted."
    Tomlinson "Something that happened 3rd or 4th week of season and nobody knew because the players kept it under wraps."
    Tomlinson on Rex: "I would prefer him not to say it (calling out other teams) as much as he did."
    Woody “I don’t think the whole locker room was toxic,”
    Revis “Basically, he didn’t know a lot of things that were going on behind the scenes. It was just so much stuff. I’m really not going to get into it because some of the stuff is real deep. But he didn’t know a lot of the things. He wanted people to say things to him. But obviously it didn’t come out. It came out on the field.”
    Revis “My first thought was, ‘What is going on?"
    Revis "Locker room in disarray right now, it's a circus before, will be more of a circus with Tebow now."
    Unnamed Player “If Sanchez trips (up), then he’ll (Holmes) be on the bench going, ‘Tebow! Tebow!’ like everyone else."
    Holmes (On whether he's the poster boy for Jets dysfunction) "I don't care."
    Weatherford "(Mark Sanchez) isn't maturing as a leader or a player skill-wise, I haven't seen that."
    Revis “It came up in the offseason really, right after the season was over. It was basically what, as a team, could we do better. One of them was conditioning, one of them was focus, and the other one was discipline. And you know, this was a conversation that I think Rex wanted to evaluate himself and see what we could do better as a team.”
    Ryan "I'm getting our top players into a Leadership Camp."
    Ryan "I'm taking our team to a Sleep Specialist."
    Tannenbaum Maybin released.
    Slauson (On Tim Tebow) “It’s not even close,”
    Anonymous (On Tim Tebow) “He’s terrible,”
    Anonymous (On Tim Tebow) “Do I have to answer that question?”
    Anonymous (On Tim Tebow) “We don’t look at him as a quarterback,”
    Anonymous (On Tim Tebow) “We can’t win running that sh--,”
    Anonymous (On Tim Tebow) “Now we’re depending on miracles?”
    Anonymous (On Tim Tebow) “Something where it was just ridiculous. It would take Mark to totally just sh-- the bed and become unglued."
    Anonymous (On Mark Sanchez) “Look at some of the players he’s throwing to, it’s garbage.”
    Anonymous (On Mark Sanchez) “I’ve seen better receiving corps in college than we have on our team.”
    Ryan (On Tim Tebow) "I made it clear he wasn't going to be our starter. He's our punt protector."
    Tannenbaum "We're 3-6. I'm with the team in this building every day."
    Revis "This week has been a tough week for the team. A team like this, with what's been going on this week, a team will fold."
    DeGuglielmo (On Vlad Ducasse) "Platoon at left guard came from high above me."
    Pace "They just don’t understand this organization does everything they can to win games. They bring in great talent, and even better people"
    Revis "Quit talking crazy to the media, especially involving your teammates, I think that's the worst, because when you do that, that's when it really gets divided. Because you don't know if you can trust your other teammate."
    Ed "Society has lost respect for one another."
    Scott "They don't care. They just call us bums. Like they could ever play or can understand the pressure. They are the ones picked last for high school dodge ball, so why explain it?"
    Namath "I believe Mark Sanchez can be a championship quarterback as long as he has the right supporting cast, yes I do."
    Edwards "Don't blame Sanchez. I played there. Blame the idiots calling shots. Mark is a beast and will prove it when given a proper chance."

    SAR I

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    SAR, did you forget Tripgate?
    Yes, actually. And a few more didn't make the lists:

    Tripgate
    The Sleep Coach
    The Leadership Training
    The Mustang Crash
    Smiling at Newark Airport
    Vacationing In The Sun
    The Tattoo Part II
    Dressing Up Like Rob Ryan
    Fireman Ed Walkout
    Fireman Ed "They Called Us Clowns!" pregame fail
    Yankees Giving Sliding Lessons
    "Little Brother" Downing Giants Banners
    "Red Light/Green Light" Wristbands

    SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 01-25-2013 at 11:44 AM.

  3. #43
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by YJF View Post

    This rant is all about the coverage of the Jets by the local and national sports media. The general negative disdain, mistreatment and general mockery by the media towards the New York Jets. Now I know that some will see this as a "homer" fan that only wants to read fluff pieces about his favorite team. Nothing can be further from the truth. I am a realist.(Go see my current state of the Jets thread). I want facts and honest observations.

    You want to rip the team, Go for it. I do it myself. Just present the facts.
    This is the "worst time ever to be a Jets fan" not because of the media. That's just an excuse.

    This is the worst time to be a Jets fan because of Rex Ryan and his complete and utter mismanagement of a team that had a chance to be great and instead has been dismantled.

    The media is actually being kind to the Jets. We've seen them be vicious decades ago, that's not what's going on here now. The reason you perceive this to be a "media" situation is because there's a lot more media now; Twitter, blogs, etc. The Post and News are being no more/less responsible than they ever have. And with Ryan giving them weekly clown-bytes, there's no need for them to manufacture much.

    The reality is that the Jets were just on a very good 15 year run where we averaged 9.5 wins per season with a healthy quarterback and that's over now. You're in your early 30's, yes? So for your entire NFL-cognizent life you've never known the Jets as a truly bad team. Maybe as a kid, certainly for the Pennington-injured seasons, but the core of your Jets life you've seen the team swap out a QB or swap out a HC and suddenly return to a very good state. That's not happening now.

    We have been cored-out, we are a shell of who we once were. Neglected and abused by a defensive coordinator run amok and an owner too disconnected to notice or stop it. We're back to the dark ages, it feels terrible because we were once so close and it was completely preventable.

    The media has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with it.

    SAR I

  4. #44
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    9,092
    SAR, lets not forget Joe Girardi coming in to teach sliding. That was embarassing.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by YJF View Post
    In the past, You'd read a thread title like this and think that you are about to read a rant from a fan who is dissapointed with The New York Jets. Just another obsessed fan ranting about a certain aspect of the team. Whether it be a losing streak or a poor management decision or just the overall depression of being a long time suffering Jets fan and having not won a championship in ages.

    No, This thread has nothing to do with John Idzik's lack of charisma or the potential departure of what could be the Jets greatest player ever in Darrelle Revis.

    This rant is all about the coverage of the Jets by the local and national sports media. The general negative disdain, mistreatment and general mockery by the media towards the New York Jets. Now I know that some will see this as a "homer" fan that only wants to read fluff pieces about his favorite team. Nothing can be further from the truth. I am a realist.(Go see my current state of the Jets thread). I want facts and honest observations.

    Honesty and factual reporting has nearly dissapeared from the national landscape of the media. Perception has become reality without facts to back up the perception. It's sickening. It's gotten to the point where you don't want to listen to anyone talk about the Jets and you don't want to read anything written about the Jets. When I click on a football website like pro football talk or come across a football tv or radio show or read any football publication, I hope that no one is writing anything about the Jets. I have been a fan of the Jets for 31 years now. I can't recall a time in their history where the Jets were so poorly covered and treated by the media.

    The constant digs directed against the Jets in what are supposed to be legitimate news articles. To top it off, You get irresponsible and phony journalism from the local and national media. It's become more than just mocking a team for losing. As a matter of fact, It has nothing to do with the team going 6 and 10 last year. So what does it have to do with than exactly?... Oh yeah, The so called Circus and Dysfunction of the New York Jets franchise.

    The negative treatment that the Jets get is attached to every thing they do. I don't care if they are signing players to future contracts. They get ripped. Several teams meet with Tyrone Matheiu and the story becomes Same Old Jets meeting with questionable characters. By the level of poor treatment that the Jets get from the media. You would think that they used illegal tactics to record their opponents practices and sideline signals to steal plays. You would think that the Jets employed a bounty system to injure players. You would think Woody Johnson has sold a stake of his team to Al Jazeera. That's how bad the treatment of the Jets has become by the media.

    Back to the perception parade orchestrated and mastered by the media. Let's get back to the "Circus and Dysfunction" of the New York Jets.

    Let's review the "Circus" elements of the Jets. Give me a minute while I think about them......... Rex Ryan is an out going personality. He's self depricating and talks too much. He builds up his players too much and tends to stick his chest out a lot when he is winning. You can see why people wouldn't like him based on that. He has a tattoo of his wife and has some sort of foot fetish thing with his wife. The Jets did Hard Knocks a couple of years back. Outside of Antonio Cromartie's troubles with his kids names, I really can't think of any negative or unprofessional acts that the Jets did during that whole show. The GM fielded some punts?......

    Santonio Holmes being disgruntled. This was dysfunctional. He got benched. There were words and problems with him behind the scenes. He's not the first sports player to do this and won't be the last unfortunately but it happened with the Jets. Ok, what else is there?.... As an organization, The Jets may have made some mistakes the last couple of years drafting or signing players but nothing "circus" like. The Holmes and Sanchez contracts burned them but was there any dealings by the team or management that were dysfunctional.... I don't think so. Have there been any Teo like scandals with the team?....NO.... So where are the other instances of the Jets being dysfunctional or circus like?.... There aren't any other instances.

    Look, I am all for criticism of the team. I am all for the team being ripped for it's failings the last two seasons. I am all for certain players, coaches and aspects of the team on the field being criticized. What, I am against is how the Jets organization is being unfairly depicted and treated. It's a disgrace and in some respects an injustice to the public. The media creates the perception and the perception becomes reality.

    You want to rip the team, Go for it. I do it myself. Just present the facts.
    The flaw in your argument is the fact that this is really only happening to us. The Giants aren't being called a circus or a joke and they just had an epic collapse. You don't see this with any other team in the league. Period. The fact is when someone comes out waving a big stick yelling "look at me, look at me" the media is going to look. Especially when you start falling flat on your face.

  6. #46
    When they stop talking about the jets we'll know the Jets aren't on top anymore. I'd rather be mocked and attacked than be a non story like Jax and KC.

  7. #47
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    9,092
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    When they stop talking about the jets we'll know the Jets aren't on top anymore. I'd rather be mocked and attacked than be a non story like Jax and KC.
    The Jets on top? HAHAHAAHAHAHAAHA. You must have missed the last 43 years.

  8. #48
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I could not disagree more ...

    Last Year was the worst time to be a Jets fan.

    .... and yes I am including the Kotite era ....

    The sheer volume and magnitude of chicanery, bafoonery, ineptitude and overall incompetence was astounding, resounding and far beyond the realm of sanity.
    No way, Kotite was worse. 3-13? Well, it can't get any worse. O wait, 1-15 with one of our best players being paralyzed. Yep that was worse. Well, maybe we can get Peyton Manning. No, he's going back for his senior year, so we can trade down and get an inside linebacker who will be defense player of the year... on the Steelers.

  9. #49
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,868
    Add in all the Mickey Mouse monday morning GM's that spew "trade revis", "Start Mcelroy" and it makes it even worse. But, im sure there have been worse times. I only was reading the posts when Brooks was starting, but I remember it was almost unberable on here.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Really? Do you even pay attention?

    Tebow?
    Favre?
    SB guarantees?
    Trading half our draft picks and wondering why the roster is so depleted?
    Santonio Holmes in Miami?
    Braylon Edwards in Miami?
    Plaxico Burress?
    Derrick Mason?
    Vlad Ducasse?
    "The Terminator"?
    Drew Stanton?
    Sal Alosi?
    Tony Sparano?
    The Wildcat?
    "Soon to be champs"?
    Woody's tantrum over the giants playing the first home game at Met Life?
    Hard Knocks?
    "Sanchez gives us the best chance to win."
    Feet
    Flipping the bird at a wrestling match.

    Sure I missed a few (dozen) things. But I have to go to work.
    Who can forget Big Brother Gate ( propelling an average giants team to a super bowl victory)

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The Jets on top? HAHAHAAHAHAHAAHA. You must have missed the last 43 years.
    I wasn't referring to their recent record. I was referring to the media interest. You remember the Richie K years? Do you think anyone would care who the Jets hired as a GM?

  12. #52
    I blame the jets for not knowing what the media has become. How could you own or manage a team or live in NY, Boston or Philly not recognize that fact. The Jets treat the media as if they are Murrow and are surprised when they act as Springer.

    Rex is a braggart, we all know one (or more) in our lives and we relish when they are shown to be all bluster. He encourages his players to be open with the media in an effort to pump themselves up, but does not take into consideration the downside of players with no media skills speaking for the team.

    I kind of get the Farve thing, the jets had a legitimate super bowl shot and rented him for a year. However the personnel moves made after that have been a disaster. Trading "top" picks for Edwards for 1 1/2 years of play. Backing down from Revis and giving him that outrageous contract. The public pursuit of Manning and Aso, the resulting Sanchez contract and then having to give Cro more than what would have been needed before Aso. Holmes 10mill a year, to a guy that won't tow the line.

    But this last year was just too much. Tebow, Ground and Pound, Sparano, Letting espn camp out at camp. The owner wanting the team on hard knocks, while rex is trying to massage the locker room. Unleashing Tebow, Best D coach in football. The realization that 1/4 of the starters are overpaid with contracts that preclude any corrective action.

    Beat writers have a "obligation" to try to present a balanced view of the team. But bad news sells and there was more bad news than good in the last year. But to expect columnists or Radio people to be fair is ridiculous, they are there to entertain only. The fault lies in the jets for not recognizing this,
    you don't blame the wolf for being a wolf.

  13. #53
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I blame the jets for not knowing what the media has become. How could you own or manage a team or live in NY, Boston or Philly not recognize that fact. The Jets treat the media as if they are Murrow and are surprised when they act as Springer.

    Rex is a braggart, we all know one (or more) in our lives and we relish when they are shown to be all bluster. He encourages his players to be open with the media in an effort to pump themselves up, but does not take into consideration the downside of players with no media skills speaking for the team.

    I kind of get the Farve thing, the jets had a legitimate super bowl shot and rented him for a year. However the personnel moves made after that have been a disaster. Trading "top" picks for Edwards for 1 1/2 years of play. Backing down from Revis and giving him that outrageous contract. The public pursuit of Manning and Aso, the resulting Sanchez contract and then having to give Cro more than what would have been needed before Aso. Holmes 10mill a year, to a guy that won't tow the line.

    But this last year was just too much. Tebow, Ground and Pound, Sparano, Letting espn camp out at camp. The owner wanting the team on hard knocks, while rex is trying to massage the locker room. Unleashing Tebow, Best D coach in football. The realization that 1/4 of the starters are overpaid with contracts that preclude any corrective action.

    Beat writers have a "obligation" to try to present a balanced view of the team. But bad news sells and there was more bad news than good in the last year. But to expect columnists or Radio people to be fair is ridiculous, they are there to entertain only. The fault lies in the jets for not recognizing this,
    you don't blame the wolf for being a wolf.
    Good post.

    It's not the media, it's the Jets.

    SAR I

  14. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    SAR, lets not forget Joe Girardi coming in to teach sliding. That was embarassing.
    Red light, green light was hilarious.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    SAR, lets not forget Joe Girardi coming in to teach sliding. That was embarassing.
    LOL

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    +1

    And what's completely ironic is that it's the young kids whining about the "media" and that's just about the biggest SOJF move.

    Ever.

    SAR I
    You're right. The media and non Jet fans perception of the Jets will never be good, regardless how much the team wins. But, the Jet problems are not media generated, they are Jet generated.

  17. #57
    This era is a reminder to me of the end of the Lou Holtz era.

    Afterwards, the NY Jets started bringing in players:

    Klecko
    Gastineau
    Powell
    Bruce Harper
    Richard Todd
    Wesley Walker
    Lance Mehl

    Things will get better but we will need some patience and look forward to the next few months starting with the draft

  18. #58
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Murray Hill
    Posts
    7,758
    Couldn't agree more with the OP. Mirrors my feelings exactly!

  19. #59
    I feel like ever since Rex was hired, the media has hounded the team a lot more but he kind of brought that on with his big personality and "anything goes" persona. The Tebow trade did not help and was one of the worst cases of naivete I've ever seen an organization have if they truly did not realize the media explosion and following for that guy. ESPN was like 24/7 Tebow channel when he had that run on the Broncos, maybe the Jets were in their own world playing out their own season at the time, but even casual NFL fans knew the hype and craziness surrounding that guy. I actually believe Rex may have been somewhat in the dark about the extent of Tebow-mania, but Tannenbaum was supposed to be paying attention to the entire league, so for him to not have known was completely inexcusable.

    And once the media saw the Jets as a circus like atmosphere, they're not going to let it go. The Cowboys have kind of had that for years as well.

  20. #60
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    The flaw in your argument is the fact that this is really only happening to us. The Giants aren't being called a circus or a joke and they just had an epic collapse. You don't see this with any other team in the league. Period. The fact is when someone comes out waving a big stick yelling "look at me, look at me" the media is going to look. Especially when you start falling flat on your face.
    I agree. Lets not act like the Jets haven't given the media plenty of stories to run with. Woody was all about getting the headlines and being relevant in the media. The media coverage is a byproduct of the wanting and needing of attention from the organization. What did people think was going to happen when Rex's predictions and proclamations went bad? It's pretty comical that people now want to blame and vilify the media for sensationalizing things when Rex has been doing that for 4 yeas now.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us