Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This is the worst time ever to be a New York Jets fan

"The medium is the message"..."the medium is the massage." That is the essence of what Marshall McLuhan said back in the 1960s. That the true character of the messenger is embedded in the message itself. He was very prophetic as to what was going to be the future course of mass communications.

Here's my rant on this subject...

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...252726&page=21

The type of Media you are...is reflected in the message itself.

Marshall McLuhan...wrote many books on the subject. And they were saying...

"The Medium Is The Message"..."The Medium Is The Massage"

This guy knew what was going to come from the media with a vengeance, way back in the 1960s. He knew the medium was a weapon of persuasion and propaganda on many levels. From the subtle subliminal presentations, to the more aggressive and graphically obvious ones.

Of course there are more up to date books that deal with the media subject in this manner. By others as well as McLuhan. But I chose McLuhan here...cause he was prophetic from a vantage point, of an era where the mainstream media seemed less aggressive and intrusive. Less nasty-sleazy-seedy...with less inappropriately cruel overtones. He knew all these types of delivery systems were going to emerge to the forefront of mainstream media presentations.

Mainstream media isn't just informing you...so as to aid you in making good decisions in your life....or for your NYJ. Nor is it always presenting pure escapist entertainment, to help remove you from a world that makes us all weary at times. It often is telling you how to feel...think...and act. In subtle shades to overt tones.

You've been getting a good taste of the media flavor of choice...for our NYJ...by how they've been covering our Jets team...especially since late 2011 to right now. They want you to swallow and digest their cleverly packaged flavor...and react on the poison it just gave you.

For the older of you Jets fans...this is the kind sports journalism and media that your children are growing up in.

Media are privately owned businesses. Mega corporations. And it's their money that's talking to you. Their not catering to your love for the game of football...or your NYJ. They want to capture you and put you in a chicken coop. Force you to lay coins for their treasure chests. They'll give you a carefully concocted presentation that resembles your love for football...and your team. But it's all about money...and the milking of fans to get it.

"The Medium Is The Message"..."The Medium Is The Massage"...

Forget...for a moment, about how disappointed or angry you may feel about the past two years of our NYJ fortunes. And the individuals responsible for your negative feelings. Think more about how calculated and cruel the media has presented this. Guys like Mehta and Cimini...ESPN producers' NYJ guidlines on talking points...and so on. They've been saying to Woody and Rex..."ok...you've pissed us off...now where gonna manipulate your fan base with our persuasive delivery systems...and make them more angry and hateful towards you and the Jets, let that be a lesson to you both."

The media is confident they can pied pipe the fans reactions...with presentations like this...Rex and his tatoo. Cause..."the media is the message"..."the media is the massage."

Once in a while...you've just got to kick them in the balls...and let them know you don't like what they're doing. Woody and Rex are saying to a media that's been sh!ting on their Jets...fu*k-u.

What are Jets fans...that bleed the Green 'n White...going to say to these media mafioso's? Not much in defense of their team...so far.

As far as I'm concerned...any form of subliminal messaging is an attack and an insult on the freedom and dignity of the individual. You see this type of messaging being most aggressively delivered in politics and in sports.

I do agree with you about the abusive treatment that the sports media has been inflicting on the Jets. And It's a double whammy on us jets fans. To have to deal with the last two disappointing seasons. Along with the abusive coverage by the media.

Here are a couple of scenes from a classic on this subject, "Network", a movie based on a Paddy Chayefsky screenplay, that pretty much sums it up for me. If you haven't seen this movie...you may want to after these two scenes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQAzpV7GC0U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcpWk2WKhEM

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    I do not get caught up in all the bad media about the Jets.....that means crap to me...I make my judgement with what the team does....as far as I can see....major changes are a coming....I am rational enough to wait and see what happens before I lay waste to the 2013 season.
    The worst time element has nothing to do with the losing. It's the atmosphere that surrounds the franchise. It makes very hard to follow the team.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Pretty much, though I def. see where the OP is coming from.

Sad watching my son listen to the abject negativity from the media, but like I told him....you run your mouth, you'd better be able to back it up.

Rex ran his mouth, now we Jet fans are all in the middle of the MMA mat getting muscled elbows to teh eye sockets while the ref is looking at the ceiling.

-
    That is it in a nutshell. Rex's personality and the NY media had the potential to be an amazing marriage or an absolutely toxic mix. No middle ground. Right now it is toxic.

People have to realize that the Jets offer up unprecedented media access. Combine that with the "gotcha journalism" that is prevalent in NY and this is what you get.

When they wanted to sell PSLs they got all the exposure they wanted. Now we are experiencing the flip side of that. It was a conscious decision by the organization to want to be on the back pages and to hire a HC with a big personality.

The Jets have been an underdog team and under the radar for most of their existence, as defined by SBIII. Parcells marked a turn around point and the Jets have been a winning franchise since the late 90's

Mangenius, Spygate, Favre, AFCCG, Hard Knocks, Rex, AFCCG brought the headlines and we have to live with them unless we would prefer to going back to being a perennial under the radar losing team (so I am ok with the negative press) have to be in it to win it!

I just don't want to watch the keystone cops play football on offense anymore

a good draft and a few simple roster moves can make this team fun again and even a bad 2013 season could net a franchise QB so there is as much positive as ever with a strong base of players

I like the changes so far, and hope our new low key GM makes the "boring" oline pick that may have kept Sanchez off the ledge last year...

Happy that Coples is a Jet, and there is a chance that Warmack can help fix the keystone cops

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by YJF View Post

This rant is all about the coverage of the Jets by the local and national sports media. The general negative disdain, mistreatment and general mockery by the media towards the New York Jets. Now I know that some will see this as a "homer" fan that only wants to read fluff pieces about his favorite team. Nothing can be further from the truth. I am a realist.(Go see my current state of the Jets thread). I want facts and honest observations.

You want to rip the team, Go for it. I do it myself. Just present the facts.
    This is the "worst time ever to be a Jets fan" not because of the media. That's just an excuse.

This is the worst time to be a Jets fan because of Rex Ryan and his complete and utter mismanagement of a team that had a chance to be great and instead has been dismantled.

The media is actually being kind to the Jets. We've seen them be vicious decades ago, that's not what's going on here now. The reason you perceive this to be a "media" situation is because there's a lot more media now; Twitter, blogs, etc. The Post and News are being no more/less responsible than they ever have. And with Ryan giving them weekly clown-bytes, there's no need for them to manufacture much.

The reality is that the Jets were just on a very good 15 year run where we averaged 9.5 wins per season with a healthy quarterback and that's over now. You're in your early 30's, yes? So for your entire NFL-cognizent life you've never known the Jets as a truly bad team. Maybe as a kid, certainly for the Pennington-injured seasons, but the core of your Jets life you've seen the team swap out a QB or swap out a HC and suddenly return to a very good state. That's not happening now.

We have been cored-out, we are a shell of who we once were. Neglected and abused by a defensive coordinator run amok and an owner too disconnected to notice or stop it. We're back to the dark ages, it feels terrible because we were once so close and it was completely preventable.

The media has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with it.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Really? Do you even pay attention?

Tebow?
    Favre?
    SB guarantees?
    Trading half our draft picks and wondering why the roster is so depleted?
    Santonio Holmes in Miami?
    Braylon Edwards in Miami?
    Plaxico Burress?
    Derrick Mason?
    Vlad Ducasse?
    "The Terminator"?
    Drew Stanton?
    Sal Alosi?
    Tony Sparano?
    The Wildcat?
    "Soon to be champs"?
    Woody's tantrum over the giants playing the first home game at Met Life?
    Hard Knocks?
    "Sanchez gives us the best chance to win."
    Feet
    Flipping the bird at a wrestling match.

Sure I missed a few (dozen) things. But I have to go to work.
    It's odd that your post is getting ignored. Some people love to create their own delusions and live in them.

Having to teach "Sanchize" how to slide.
    Hotdog gate.
    The big game booger wipe on Mark Brunnel.
    The fact that Brunnell was the backup.
    Thinking the team was out of playoff contention in 2009 or 2010.
    With 3 games left and at shot at the playoffs, the team collapses. Two years in a row!
    Dumbing down the plays for "Sanchize".
    GQ.
    Possibly underage girls.
    No more team captains rather than confront S Holmes.
    No more Jericho.
    No more Danny Woodhead.
    "The dumbest play in NFL history."
    Butt fumble.
    Blowout losses.
    Car crashes.
    Division rival in last year's Super Bowl.
    Rival NY Giants in Super Bowl after Rex said the Jets were no longer the little brother or some such.
    Alex Smith (the player that represents Mark Sanchez's ceiling) gets benched and they are in this year's Super Bowl.
    Joe Flacco (the guy that routinely got dogged for being worse than Sanchez) leads his team to this year's Super Bowl.
    4 years with one of the worse QBs in the league.
    Firing everybody but the two people that are failing to execute.

...but it's the media's fault? Brace yourself because if history has taught us anything during Rex Ryan's tenure it's that just when you think things can't get any more embarrassing they do.

I dont have the time to read the entire original post, but just to comment on the title, this is not even close to the worst time in Jet history.

Maybe it is for some of you folks under 40, but for the rest of us over 40, we have seen far worse times.

Tebow?
    Favre?
    SB guarantees?
    Plaxico Burress?
    Derrick Mason?
    Vlad Ducasse?
    "The Terminator"?
    Drew Stanton?
    Sal Alosi?
    Tony Sparano?
    The Wildcat?
    "Soon to be champs"?
    Hard Knocks?
    Feet

Thanks Toon, you are spot on, thought I was losing my mind around here for a minute because YJF is usually pretty accurate.

I was the biggest defender of everything JETS for my entire childhood and adult life but not anymore. Not under Woody Johnson's watch and the circus he created.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    "The medium is the message"..."the medium is the massage." That is the essence of what Marshall McLuhan said back in the 1960s. That the true character of the messenger is embedded in the message itself. He was very prophetic as to what was going to be the future course of mass communications.

This guy knew what was going to come from the media with a vengeance, way back in the 1960s. He knew the medium was a weapon of persuasion and propaganda on many levels. From the subtle subliminal presentations, to the more aggressive and graphically obvious ones.

Of course there are more up to date books that deal with the media subject in this manner. By others as well as McLuhan. But I chose McLuhan here...cause he was prophetic from a vantage point, of an era where the mainstream media seemed less aggressive and intrusive. Less nasty-sleazy-seedy...with less inappropriately cruel overtones. He knew all these types of delivery systems were going to emerge to the forefront of mainstream media presentations.

Mainstream media isn't just informing you...so as to aid you in making good decisions in your life....or for your NYJ. Nor is it always presenting pure escapist entertainment, to help remove you from a world that makes us all weary at times. It often is telling you how to feel...think...and act. In subtle shades to overt tones.

You've been getting a good taste of the media flavor of choice...for our NYJ...by how they've been covering our Jets team...especially since late 2011 to right now. They want you to swallow and digest their cleverly packaged flavor...and react on the poison it just gave you.

For the older of you Jets fans...this is the kind sports journalism and media that your children are growing up in.

Media are privately owned businesses. Mega corporations. And it's their money that's talking to you. Their not catering to your love for the game of football...or your NYJ. They want to capture you and put you in a chicken coop. Force you to lay coins for their treasure chests. They'll give you a carefully concocted presentation that resembles your love for football...and your team. But it's all about money...and the milking of fans to get it.

Forget...for a moment, about how disappointed or angry you may feel about the past two years of our NYJ fortunes. And the individuals responsible for your negative feelings. Think more about how calculated and cruel the media has presented this. Guys like Mehta and Cimini...ESPN producers' NYJ guidlines on talking points...and so on. They've been saying to Woody and Rex..."ok...you've pissed us off...now where gonna manipulate your fan base with our persuasive delivery systems...and make them more angry and hateful towards you and the Jets, let that be a lesson to you both."

The media is confident they can pied pipe the fans reactions...with presentations like this...Rex and his tatoo. Cause..."the media is the message"..."the media is the massage."

Once in a while...you've just got to kick them in the balls...and let them know you don't like what they're doing. Woody and Rex are saying to a media that's been sh!ting on their Jets...fu*k-u.

What are Jets fans...that bleed the Green 'n White...going to say to these media mafioso's? Not much in defense of their team...so far.

As far as I'm concerned...any form of subliminal messaging is an attack and an insult on the freedom and dignity of the individual. You see this type of messaging being most aggressively delivered in politics and in sports.

I do agree with you about the abusive treatment that the sports media has been inflicting on the Jets. And It's a double whammy on us jets fans. To have to deal with the last two disappointing seasons. Along with the abusive coverage by the media.

Here are a couple of scenes from a classic on this subject, "Network", a movie based on a Paddy Chayefsky screenplay, that pretty much sums it up for me. If you haven't seen this movie...you may want to after these two scenes...

" I heard what you were saying! You know nothing of my work! You mean my whole fallacy is wrong. How you got to teach a course in anything is totally amazing."

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post

Excellent post, and unfortunately, 1 billion percent true.

Once the media decides on an angle, that's it. Minor issues are amplified to protect the narrative; issues that disprove the narrative are downplayed or ignored completely.

Its most obvious in politics.

All Pro
    It's definitely not the worst time, but it feels like it because it's happening now. People naturally remember things being better than they were. Kind of like thinking about your old girlfriend, and wondering why you broke up. Then you get back together and it all comes back to you. We were competitive with the worst QB in the league, the best players hurt, and a lousy offensive system/coaches/players. We have a new professional GM, and OC. I don't think we're as far away as people think. A mediocre QB could get us back to the playoffs, and shut the media up quickly. We are the Jets, and any chink in the armor will always be attacked so we need to win. If you want love from the media, you picked the wrong team. Try GB, or Denver. Even when they suck they are always loved.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    I dont have the time to read the entire original post, but just to comment on the title, this is not even close to the worst time in Jet history.

Maybe it is for some of you folks under 40, but for the rest of us over 40, we have seen far worse times.
    +1

And what's completely ironic is that it's the young kids whining about the "media" and that's just about the biggest SOJF move.

Ever.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame

Tebow?
    Favre?
    SB guarantees?
    Plaxico Burress?
    Derrick Mason?
    Vlad Ducasse?
    "The Terminator"?
    Drew Stanton?
    Sal Alosi?
    Tony Sparano?
    The Wildcat?
    "Soon to be champs"?
    Hard Knocks?
    Feet

And there you have it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    +1

And what's completely ironic is that it's the young kids whining about the "media" and that's just about the biggest SOJF move.

Ever.

SAR I
    Don't lump me in with them.

I blame the Jets for how they are perceived. The media sucks, but we pour gasoline on the fire. There is a reason why we do not get the benefit of the doubt.

I realize the media has ZERO IMPACT on what happens on the field, or at least it shouldn't. These players are paid professionals, if they can't handle it then they don't belong here.

IMO SOJF is accepting the mediocrity and making excuses.
    The team is the problem. Not the fans, not the media.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think the is a great time to be a Jets fan. Its exciting that we have a new leader. its exciting that we are going to revamp the offense. it is exciting that we have a high draft pick. Its exciting that we will have a top 5 pick again next year.

Its rebuild time. Its been long overdue. Get excited about it. Offensive playmakers are on the way.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Tebow?
    Favre?
    SB guarantees?
    Plaxico Burress?
    Derrick Mason?
    Vlad Ducasse?
    "The Terminator"?
    Drew Stanton?
    Sal Alosi?
    Tony Sparano?
    The Wildcat?
    "Soon to be champs"?
    Hard Knocks?
    Feet

Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    It's odd that your post is getting ignored. Some people love to create their own delusions and live in them.

Having to teach "Sanchize" how to slide.
    Hotdog gate.
    The big game booger wipe on Mark Brunnel.
    The fact that Brunnell was the backup.
    Thinking the team was out of playoff contention in 2009 or 2010.
    With 3 games left and at shot at the playoffs, the team collapses. Two years in a row!
    Dumbing down the plays for "Sanchize".
    GQ.
    Possibly underage girls.
    No more team captains rather than confront S Holmes.
    No more Jericho.
    No more Danny Woodhead.
    "The dumbest play in NFL history."
    Butt fumble.
    Blowout losses.
    Car crashes.
    Division rival in last year's Super Bowl.
    Rival NY Giants in Super Bowl after Rex said the Jets were no longer the little brother or some such.
    Alex Smith (the player that represents Mark Sanchez's ceiling) gets benched and they are in this year's Super Bowl.
    Joe Flacco (the guy that routinely got dogged for being worse than Sanchez) leads his team to this year's Super Bowl.
    4 years with one of the worse QBs in the league.
    Firing everybody but the two people that are failing to execute.

...but it's the media's fault? Brace yourself because if history has taught us anything during Rex Ryan's tenure it's that just when you think things can't get any more embarrassing they do.

And let's not forget the things the Jets have said about each other :

(UPDATED: A quote bonanza, seven more, December 4)

Before we lose track due to the sheer amount of them, let's maintain a list of the words and actions that the team has taken against itself:

Namath signals the alarm after Oakland "You keep telling a player how good he is, he’s going to start believing it to the point that he may not be preparing quite the way he should."
    Moore made captain halfway through season.
    Ryan says "the stupidest play in NFL history.”
    Schottenheimer says "In reality, Mark kind of got fooled."
    Jacobs "Shut up fat boy."
    Jenkins "When toughest player on team is the coach, you've got problems."
    Santonio implosion in Miami.
    Holmes "I was tapped on the shoulder so I came out."
    Rex "I wasn't aware of the offense, I was focused on the defense."
    Cromartie points finger "talk to the offense".
    Scott flips bird, wants out.
    Sanchez speaks company line.
    Revis "leave me alone, won't talk".
    Rex cries in front of team.
    Cotchery on Santonio "I don't know that guy."
    Rex says "too many captains, that was my big mistake".
    Jenkins "no toughness on this team".
    McElroy "selfish, corrupt, disconnected locker room."
    Tomlinson intimates he's not coming back, needs a win-now team.
    Manish article 'unnamed sources' Sanchez lazy.
    Rex says "out of touch with team".
    Rex says "not going to change, gotta be me."
    Woody "they should be (in turmoil)".
    Mason questions Sanchez.
    Callahan leaves.
    Weeks leaves.
    Schottenheimer resigns.
    Smith "The Maybeast" Intern resigns.
    Higgins resigns.
    Tomlinson "They created this. This is the type of football team that they wanted."
    Tomlinson "Something that happened 3rd or 4th week of season and nobody knew because the players kept it under wraps."
    Tomlinson on Rex: "I would prefer him not to say it (calling out other teams) as much as he did."
    Woody “I don’t think the whole locker room was toxic,”
    Revis “Basically, he didn’t know a lot of things that were going on behind the scenes. It was just so much stuff. I’m really not going to get into it because some of the stuff is real deep. But he didn’t know a lot of the things. He wanted people to say things to him. But obviously it didn’t come out. It came out on the field.”
    Revis “My first thought was, ‘What is going on?"
    Revis "Locker room in disarray right now, it's a circus before, will be more of a circus with Tebow now."
    Unnamed Player “If Sanchez trips (up), then he’ll (Holmes) be on the bench going, ‘Tebow! Tebow!’ like everyone else."
    Holmes (On whether he's the poster boy for Jets dysfunction) "I don't care."
    Weatherford "(Mark Sanchez) isn't maturing as a leader or a player skill-wise, I haven't seen that."
    Revis “It came up in the offseason really, right after the season was over. It was basically what, as a team, could we do better. One of them was conditioning, one of them was focus, and the other one was discipline. And you know, this was a conversation that I think Rex wanted to evaluate himself and see what we could do better as a team.”
    Ryan "I'm getting our top players into a Leadership Camp."
    Ryan "I'm taking our team to a Sleep Specialist."
    Tannenbaum Maybin released.
    Slauson (On Tim Tebow) “It’s not even close,”
    Anonymous (On Tim Tebow) “He’s terrible,”
    Anonymous (On Tim Tebow) “Do I have to answer that question?”
    Anonymous (On Tim Tebow) “We don’t look at him as a quarterback,”
    Anonymous (On Tim Tebow) “We can’t win running that sh--,”
    Anonymous (On Tim Tebow) “Now we’re depending on miracles?”
    Anonymous (On Tim Tebow) “Something where it was just ridiculous. It would take Mark to totally just sh-- the bed and become unglued."
    Anonymous (On Mark Sanchez) “Look at some of the players he’s throwing to, it’s garbage.”
    Anonymous (On Mark Sanchez) “I’ve seen better receiving corps in college than we have on our team.”
    Ryan (On Tim Tebow) "I made it clear he wasn't going to be our starter. He's our punt protector."
    Tannenbaum "We're 3-6. I'm with the team in this building every day."
    Revis "This week has been a tough week for the team. A team like this, with what's been going on this week, a team will fold."
    DeGuglielmo (On Vlad Ducasse) "Platoon at left guard came from high above me."
    Pace "They just don’t understand this organization does everything they can to win games. They bring in great talent, and even better people"
    Revis "Quit talking crazy to the media, especially involving your teammates, I think that's the worst, because when you do that, that's when it really gets divided. Because you don't know if you can trust your other teammate."
    Ed "Society has lost respect for one another."
    Scott "They don't care. They just call us bums. Like they could ever play or can understand the pressure. They are the ones picked last for high school dodge ball, so why explain it?"
    Namath "I believe Mark Sanchez can be a championship quarterback as long as he has the right supporting cast, yes I do."
    Edwards "Don't blame Sanchez. I played there. Blame the idiots calling shots. Mark is a beast and will prove it when given a proper chance."

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 01-25-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    When legend becomes fact, print the legend.
    Robert Wuhl?

Jets Insider VIP
    SAR, did you forget Tripgate?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I think the is a great time to be a Jets fan. Its exciting that we have a new leader. its exciting that we are going to revamp the offense. it is exciting that we have a high draft pick. Its exciting that we will have a top 5 pick again next year.

Its rebuild time. Its been long overdue. Get excited about it. Offensive playmakers are on the way.
    No.

Wrong leader.

Offense needs too much to right itself in under 2 years.

It's a weak draft so high pick works against us.

Yes.

Yes.

No.

Yeah, in 3 years.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    No.

Wrong leader.

Offense needs too much to right itself in under 2 years.

It's a weak draft so high pick works against us.

Yes.

Yes.

No.

Yeah, in 3 years.

SAR I
    Sorry SAR. I should have made "New coach next year" part of what i am excited about. Rex is toast after the upcoming 4-12 campaign.