Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: This is the worst time ever to be a New York Jets fan

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by YJF View Post

Brought on by themselves?... Explain further. What has been done to have anything "brought onto themselves".
    Dude, where you been....a sense of reality in the eye of the storm

Thank you and well said

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I cant imagine anything being worse than 1990 to 1995..but this is a very embarrassing period. I think REX will be/has been exposed as a DC unable to manage a team and accordingly we will be a 9 win team AT BEST.

Please explain why.

Please explain to me how Lombardi would do better with the QB we have been dealing with.

You keep ripping, you keep flaming....all you do is b1tch

This Idzik hire reminds me of the Coslett/Steinberg hire. A sense of excitement for something new but when the curtain opened, we got nothing.
    Why, because he didn't give you enough headlines in his presser?

Maybe we have a guy who will keep it close to the vest
    Last edited by JonEJet; 01-25-2013 at 10:38 AM.

I agree with the original post 100%. Now the local media, they have an agenda and since they have blown their load on outlandish jets stories and behavior the last few years they have to invent things. My big problem is with the national media. A lot of these clowns know far less about the Jets, their moves, their motivations than the average fan on this forum or any other fan forum for that matter and yet they will spout off on some second hand news they have heard.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I agree with the original post 100%. Now the local media, they have an agenda and since they have blown their load on outlandish jets stories and behavior the last few years they have to invent things. My big problem is with the national media. A lot of these clowns know far less about the Jets, their moves, their motivations than the average fan on this forum or any other fan forum for that matter and yet they will spout off on some second hand news they have heard.
    Thats all true, but are you really that affected by the media? You have more than enough football knowledge to know what is true and what isnt. For people to blame the media for "This being the worst time to be a Jet fan" is silly. The media is what it is, but for people to allow it affect them the way it does is comical.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Disagree........Two Words: Walton Kotite

In the past, You'd read a thread title like this and think that you are about to read a rant from a fan who is dissapointed with The New York Jets. Just another obsessed fan ranting about a certain aspect of the team. Whether it be a losing streak or a poor management decision or just the overall depression of being a long time suffering Jets fan and having not won a championship in ages.

No, This thread has nothing to do with John Idzik's lack of charisma or the potential departure of what could be the Jets greatest player ever in Darrelle Revis.

This rant is all about the coverage of the Jets by the local and national sports media. The general negative disdain, mistreatment and general mockery by the media towards the New York Jets. Now I know that some will see this as a "homer" fan that only wants to read fluff pieces about his favorite team. Nothing can be further from the truth. I am a realist.(Go see my current state of the Jets thread). I want facts and honest observations.

Honesty and factual reporting has nearly dissapeared from the national landscape of the media. Perception has become reality without facts to back up the perception. It's sickening. It's gotten to the point where you don't want to listen to anyone talk about the Jets and you don't want to read anything written about the Jets. When I click on a football website like pro football talk or come across a football tv or radio show or read any football publication, I hope that no one is writing anything about the Jets. I have been a fan of the Jets for 31 years now. I can't recall a time in their history where the Jets were so poorly covered and treated by the media.

The constant digs directed against the Jets in what are supposed to be legitimate news articles. To top it off, You get irresponsible and phony journalism from the local and national media. It's become more than just mocking a team for losing. As a matter of fact, It has nothing to do with the team going 6 and 10 last year. So what does it have to do with than exactly?... Oh yeah, The so called Circus and Dysfunction of the New York Jets franchise.

The negative treatment that the Jets get is attached to every thing they do. I don't care if they are signing players to future contracts. They get ripped. Several teams meet with Tyrone Matheiu and the story becomes Same Old Jets meeting with questionable characters. By the level of poor treatment that the Jets get from the media. You would think that they used illegal tactics to record their opponents practices and sideline signals to steal plays. You would think that the Jets employed a bounty system to injure players. You would think Woody Johnson has sold a stake of his team to Al Jazeera. That's how bad the treatment of the Jets has become by the media.

Back to the perception parade orchestrated and mastered by the media. Let's get back to the "Circus and Dysfunction" of the New York Jets.

Let's review the "Circus" elements of the Jets. Give me a minute while I think about them......... Rex Ryan is an out going personality. He's self depricating and talks too much. He builds up his players too much and tends to stick his chest out a lot when he is winning. You can see why people wouldn't like him based on that. He has a tattoo of his wife and has some sort of foot fetish thing with his wife. The Jets did Hard Knocks a couple of years back. Outside of Antonio Cromartie's troubles with his kids names, I really can't think of any negative or unprofessional acts that the Jets did during that whole show. The GM fielded some punts?......

Santonio Holmes being disgruntled. This was dysfunctional. He got benched. There were words and problems with him behind the scenes. He's not the first sports player to do this and won't be the last unfortunately but it happened with the Jets. Ok, what else is there?.... As an organization, The Jets may have made some mistakes the last couple of years drafting or signing players but nothing "circus" like. The Holmes and Sanchez contracts burned them but was there any dealings by the team or management that were dysfunctional.... I don't think so. Have there been any Teo like scandals with the team?....NO.... So where are the other instances of the Jets being dysfunctional or circus like?.... There aren't any other instances.

Look, I am all for criticism of the team. I am all for the team being ripped for it's failings the last two seasons. I am all for certain players, coaches and aspects of the team on the field being criticized. What, I am against is how the Jets organization is being unfairly depicted and treated. It's a disgrace and in some respects an injustice to the public. The media creates the perception and the perception becomes reality.

You want to rip the team, Go for it. I do it myself. Just present the facts.
    We mock what we don't understand.

The facts: 6 & 10
    Blame: Tannenbaum and Soprano
    Solution: Both replaced
    Jets Status: Clearly in the Hunt for a SB trophy
    Weather: Sunny

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    disagree...this time last year was much worse IMO- Giants vs Pats Super Bowl? The two week build-up to the game was pure torture
    The thread title is a strong one. It's not about the winning and losing. It's the worst time to try and follow the team because of the atmosphere surrounding it.

I think too many people think that I am referencing the losing or dissapointment attached to losing. It's about the false way that the team is covered and the general mockery of the franchise.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    I disagree, at least the team is making a attempt to improve the mess it created ,we will see in the next few months,if Woody is serious about changing the JET image, or this is still for show.
    The "Jet image" is a media creation and perception. In my opinion.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I could not disagree more ...

Last Year was the worst time to be a Jets fan.

.... and yes I am including the Kotite era ....

The sheer volume and magnitude of chicanery, bafoonery, ineptitude and overall incompetence was astounding, resounding and far beyond the realm of sanity.
    All things considered. This was maybe not the best choice for a thread title. I am not ashamed of the Jets. I am not referring to the losing or the comparisons to the Kotite area. It's the worst time to try and follow the Jets because of the media's coverage of them.

Some people are not effected by the fake stories and poor journalism but I am. John Idzik personally contacts Darrelle Revis and speaks with him.That story is swept under the rug. Idzik didn't even have a chance to evaluate the roster and 24 hours before he is introduced. Story is "leaked" out that the Jets are trading Revis and that he is "as good as gone".

Anyone playing the guessing game can put 2 and 2 together and report the possibility of Revis being traded and that they got it from an "inside source".

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Really? Do you even pay attention?

Tebow?
    Favre?
    SB guarantees?
    Trading half our draft picks and wondering why the roster is so depleted?
    Santonio Holmes in Miami?
    Braylon Edwards in Miami?
    Plaxico Burress?
    Derrick Mason?
    Vlad Ducasse?
    "The Terminator"?
    Drew Stanton?
    Sal Alosi?
    Tony Sparano?
    The Wildcat?
    "Soon to be champs"?
    Woody's tantrum over the giants playing the first home game at Met Life?
    Hard Knocks?
    "Sanchez gives us the best chance to win."
    Feet
    Flipping the bird at a wrestling match.

Sure I missed a few (dozen) things. But I have to go to work.
    List any franchise and you can point to "dumb decisions". I can come up with a list. For this argument, Let's go Steelers.

Rashard Mendenhall no shows his own team and doesn't show up at games.
    Ben Roethlisberger accused of rape.
    Jame Harrison becomes most fined player in league history for illegal hits.
    Troy Polamalu admits he was rushed back from injury and gets hurt.
    Keeping Leftwich in game vs Ravens after being injured early.lose game by 3.
    Ben Roethlisberger accused of rape again.
    Bruce Arians forced to retire and then replaced by Todd Haley.
    Roethlisberger publically rips Steeler managament for dismissal of Arians.
    Poor clock management/play calling leads to playoff eliminating Cincy loss.
    Mike Wallace contract squabbles.
    Roethlisberger openly questions coordinator's playcalling after Dallas loss.
    Mendenhall claims US conspiracy and questions Bin Laden death.
    Rainey gets arrested and cut but cut is reversed and against league rules.
    Draft pick Teamu gets arrested, cut and then brought back to practice squad.
    Tim Tebow throws for 300 yards against Pitt in poorly coached playoff loss.

Give me any team and I can come up with a list to make any team look bad.
    Last edited by YJF; 01-26-2013 at 08:12 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    YJF - I agree with just about everything you said.

The scary part of all of this - Santonio Holmes - he was the one guy and maybe the only guy, on the Jets who knew the media was out to get them and when he talked about it in camp he got slaughtered because of it.
    Thanks. The media has been horrible nationally but locally it's even worse. The imaginary sources, the clown car photos. The spying photographers invading a man's privacy while he is on vacation. Holmes was right about a lot of what he said about the media. Unfortunately, It came from the guy who had a negative eye on him and you can't win that game vs the media.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    "The medium is the message"..."the medium is the massage." That is the essence of what Marshall McLuhan said back in the 1960s. That the true character of the messenger is embedded in the message itself. He was very prophetic as to what was going to be the future course of mass communications.

Here's my rant on this subject...

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...252726&page=21

The type of Media you are...is reflected in the message itself.

Marshall McLuhan...wrote many books on the subject. And they were saying...

"The Medium Is The Message"..."The Medium Is The Massage"

This guy knew what was going to come from the media with a vengeance, way back in the 1960s. He knew the medium was a weapon of persuasion and propaganda on many levels. From the subtle subliminal presentations, to the more aggressive and graphically obvious ones.

Of course there are more up to date books that deal with the media subject in this manner. By others as well as McLuhan. But I chose McLuhan here...cause he was prophetic from a vantage point, of an era where the mainstream media seemed less aggressive and intrusive. Less nasty-sleazy-seedy...with less inappropriately cruel overtones. He knew all these types of delivery systems were going to emerge to the forefront of mainstream media presentations.

Mainstream media isn't just informing you...so as to aid you in making good decisions in your life....or for your NYJ. Nor is it always presenting pure escapist entertainment, to help remove you from a world that makes us all weary at times. It often is telling you how to feel...think...and act. In subtle shades to overt tones.

You've been getting a good taste of the media flavor of choice...for our NYJ...by how they've been covering our Jets team...especially since late 2011 to right now. They want you to swallow and digest their cleverly packaged flavor...and react on the poison it just gave you.

For the older of you Jets fans...this is the kind sports journalism and media that your children are growing up in.

Media are privately owned businesses. Mega corporations. And it's their money that's talking to you. Their not catering to your love for the game of football...or your NYJ. They want to capture you and put you in a chicken coop. Force you to lay coins for their treasure chests. They'll give you a carefully concocted presentation that resembles your love for football...and your team. But it's all about money...and the milking of fans to get it.

"The Medium Is The Message"..."The Medium Is The Massage"...

Forget...for a moment, about how disappointed or angry you may feel about the past two years of our NYJ fortunes. And the individuals responsible for your negative feelings. Think more about how calculated and cruel the media has presented this. Guys like Mehta and Cimini...ESPN producers' NYJ guidlines on talking points...and so on. They've been saying to Woody and Rex..."ok...you've pissed us off...now where gonna manipulate your fan base with our persuasive delivery systems...and make them more angry and hateful towards you and the Jets, let that be a lesson to you both."

The media is confident they can pied pipe the fans reactions...with presentations like this...Rex and his tatoo. Cause..."the media is the message"..."the media is the massage."

Once in a while...you've just got to kick them in the balls...and let them know you don't like what they're doing. Woody and Rex are saying to a media that's been sh!ting on their Jets...fu*k-u.

What are Jets fans...that bleed the Green 'n White...going to say to these media mafioso's? Not much in defense of their team...so far.

As far as I'm concerned...any form of subliminal messaging is an attack and an insult on the freedom and dignity of the individual. You see this type of messaging being most aggressively delivered in politics and in sports.

I do agree with you about the abusive treatment that the sports media has been inflicting on the Jets. And It's a double whammy on us jets fans. To have to deal with the last two disappointing seasons. Along with the abusive coverage by the media.

Here are a couple of scenes from a classic on this subject, "Network", a movie based on a Paddy Chayefsky screenplay, that pretty much sums it up for me. If you haven't seen this movie...you may want to after these two scenes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQAzpV7GC0U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcpWk2WKhEM
    Excellent post. That is guaranteed to go over a lot people's heads.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    I dont have the time to read the entire original post, but just to comment on the title, this is not even close to the worst time in Jet history.

Maybe it is for some of you folks under 40, but for the rest of us over 40, we have seen far worse times.
    Here is the problem with JI and society in general. You didn't read the post. Don't comment. The original post and thread has nothing to do with losing. It is not about comparing the current era of the Jets to the Walton/Kotite/Coslet eras. It's not about 1 and 15's or 3 and 13's or 6 and 10's.

After seeing a lot of the responses here, I should have re-worded the thread title to This is the worst time to be a Jets fan if you are following your team because of the negative and harsh treatment. It's a long title but i should have went with it.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I should have just skipped page 2 in this thread. A lot of the posters with the exception of a few are either off topic, off target or off base. What else is new.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

I should have just skipped page 2 in this thread. A lot of the posters with the exception of a few are either off topic, off target or off base. What else is new.
    Your original post said you were "just presenting the facts" which, being honest, you did not do.

Instead, you throw out your opinion that the "media is out to get the Jets" which is not a fact, just your perception.

What lives on Page 2 of this thread is the laundry list of things the Jets have done to themselves, things so bombastic and ridiculous that any agnostic reporter lacking every modicum of agenda could report on straight-up and appear to be "vindictive" when he's not.

Case in point Rex Ryan's back-to-back weeks where he took the team to a Leadership Conference followed by seeing a Sleep Specialist. Same for the Sanchez Wristbands, the Rob Ryan Dress-Up, and all the rest. Read the articles from those weeks, the media isn't being unfair, isn't making the Jets look like "clowns". The embarrassment, if that's how you feel, comes from Rex Ryan's actions, not from the media reporting on it.

Marshall McLuhan would refer to that as "the message is the message".

SAR I