Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Gold rush forming' for possible Revis trade

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    Best player in the world at his position, someone will be willing to roll the dice, guaranteed
    agree and the jets will never replace him.

we have never replaced joe namath.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    agree and the jets will never replace him.

we have never replaced joe namath.
    We need to spread the talent out across the roster ... Not in a single cornerback ... What is so hard to understand about this concept ??????

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Seahawks are a good match since their franchise QB is on a third rounder's paycheck for the next few years.
    They can dump Flynn and allot the QB funds to Revis.

That being said, how anyone can consider a 1st and 2nd a "gold rush" is beyond me.
    I'd expect nothing less than 2 1st's for an all-timer like DR.

Especially considering a 1st and 2nd from Seattle is closer to a 2nd and 3rd.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    We need to spread the talent out across the roster ... Not in a single cornerback ... What is so hard to understand about this concept ??????
    with that logic the jets should never have any super star players?

every team has elite players we just over pay ours.

restructure revis lengthen his deal retire him a jet.

you dont trade players who only come around once a century.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

it's absurd to say that a talent like revis comes around once a century. but even if that's true, who cares? the objective is to win games, win the super bowl. how many times in this year's playoffs did the announcers say, 'wow, that cornerback really won the game for them today.' in the playoffs i watched, it was mostly about quarterbacks and offensive playmakers and pass rushers.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL! Now he's the greatest CB in NFL history?

So you want to tie up 10+% of your cap on a CB?

According to someone familiar with his thinking, Revis is seeking a contract similar to or “just north of’’ the deal the Bills gave defensive end Mario Williams — six years, $96 million with $50 million guaranteed. That is the largest contract for a defensive player in NFL history.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...owI7BwNng58MAP

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    Plenty of teams would have done what you are suggesting for Peyton. Arguably the best player at his position. His neck was a bigger question mark than an acl
    Don't equate a QB with a corner or any other position

First Peyton was a qb.The majority of Poster here think Revis would have made the difference of 1-2 games max on the 2012 record. What do you think Peyton's effect on the record would have been. What player do you think will have the effect on attracting other players to the organization. Peyton's contract is not guaranteed for anything but the following year based the previous years play.

Will Revis sign a year by year contract with no SB like Manning? Did any team have to trade a pick for Peyton?

I am just putting myself in the position of the guy who has to write the 35 mill dollar check. This is the type of move that a guy can get fired for. I would fire my GM if Revis goes downhill like Scott/Pace at 30YO and I still owe him 30 mill more.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

First Peyton was a qb.The majority of Poster here think Revis would have made the difference of 1-2 games max on the 2012 record. What do you think Peyton's effect on the record would have been. What player do you think will have the effect on attracting other players to the organization. Peyton's contract is not guaranteed for anything but the following year based the previous years play.

Will Revis sign a year by year contract with no SB like Manning? Did any team have to trade a pick for Peyton?

I am just putting myself in the position of the guy who has to write the 35 mill dollar check. This is the type of move that a guy can get fired for. I would fire my GM if Revis goes downhill like Scott/Pace at 30YO and I still owe him 30 mill more.
    But what you failed to mention is that Peyton's first year is 19 mm guaranteed. That being said, if a team is willing to pay 19mm prior to watching him play after spinal fusion, you can guarantee they would have offered picks to get him if they had to.
    Again, best player at his position, there will be teams willing to gamble to get him. AP's recovery helps revis value.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a poor comparison. Pace and Bart started declined at their age 31 season...revis is 27, so worst case that would be 4 years away. Furthermore neither scott nor pace started at close to the talent level revis did.

At the end of the day there will be a market for him and it will be pretty high. This is an extremely high stakes situation....so this "discounted value" thing is not as important.

If a team wants revis and has the cash to sign him they will pay what is fair. There arent a lot of GMs who are sitting around saying "well, I want revis if its for a 2nd this year and 2nd next year but not a first". That is the same type of thinking that fans talk about with the draft. "Oh hes a great pick at 18 but a reach at 9"...that simply doesnt hold true. If you evaluate a player and feel he can help your team, 9 spots is nothing, same with the difference between a first or second round pick when you are talking about a player of Revis caliber.

Denver spent $90 million on peyton....giving up a first round pick to fully take their shot is smart business.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trade Revis ... Get a 1 and 2 from someone ... The take money saved and sign Landry and Cromartie to long term deals.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 01-26-2013 at 10:11 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chops44 View Post
    The Seahawks are a good match since their franchise QB is on a third rounder's paycheck for the next few years.
    They can dump Flynn and allot the QB funds to Revis.

That being said, how anyone can consider a 1st and 2nd a "gold rush" is beyond me.
    I'd expect nothing less than 2 1st's for an all-timer like DR.

Especially considering a 1st and 2nd from Seattle is closer to a 2nd and 3rd.
    Your on point with the QB being cheap. And the Seahawks have the caproom to sign him. But what about Browner- he made the probowl last yea and should have made it again this year. Sherman is the best young corner in the game. Lane IMO will develop into a starting level player. all three don't make 2 mill together. Why break that up, In two years Revis is 30 making 15 mill and Sherman is 26, what are they going to pay Sherman? You personally seen what adding high priced talent to a roster does in 2-3 years. The only way to remain a legit playoff caliber team is to keep their core players and continue to draft well. Will Revis be a improvement over Browner at CB? Yes,
    is that incremental improvement worth every cap dollar they have, NO.

And that is just looking at it as if Revis is a FA and not giving up a 1st and a 2nd. and taking a 4 mill hit for trading Ryan and absorbing Sanchez 8mill salary, which would require them to cut productive players to keep as a Backup to replace Flynn.

Look at what i laid out and tell me you would not fire Schneider for making that trade.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Buc's have the most cap room and need. Greenbay and Minn. have the most need but much less cap room. Denver comes into play after that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Your on point with the QB being cheap. And the Seahawks have the caproom to sign him. But what about Browner- he made the probowl last yea and should have made it again this year. Sherman is the best young corner in the game. Lane IMO will develop into a starting level player. all three don't make 2 mill together. Why break that up, In two years Revis is 30 making 15 mill and Sherman is 26, what are they going to pay Sherman? You personally seen what adding high priced talent to a roster does in 2-3 years. The only way to remain a legit playoff caliber team is to keep their core players and continue to draft well. Will Revis be a improvement over Browner at CB? Yes,
    is that incremental improvement worth every cap dollar they have, NO.
    And that is just looking at it as if Revis is a FA and not giving up a 1st and a 2nd. and taking a 4 mill hit for trading Ryan and absorbing Sanchez 8mill salary, which would require them to cut productive players to keep as a Backup to replace Flynn.

Look at what i laid out and tell me you would not fire Schneider for making that trade.
    I'm convinced there are Jet Fans that would be happy to watch Revis play out his career as a Jet and never win anything as long as he makes All Pro and is taken care of for life.. It's the ultimate in player love..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis going to the Niners or Broncos would be SCARY. That team would immediately become the best Defense in the League by a large margin, and be favored to win it all next year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    That is a poor comparison. Pace and Bart started declined at their age 31 season...revis is 27, so worst case that would be 4 years away. Furthermore neither scott nor pace started at close to the talent level revis did.

At the end of the day there will be a market for him and it will be pretty high. This is an extremely high stakes situation....so this "discounted value" thing is not as important.

If a team wants revis and has the cash to sign him they will pay what is fair. There arent a lot of GMs who are sitting around saying "well, I want revis if its for a 2nd this year and 2nd next year but not a first". That is the same type of thinking that fans talk about with the draft. "Oh hes a great pick at 18 but a reach at 9"...that simply doesnt hold true. If you evaluate a player and feel he can help your team, 9 spots is nothing, same with the difference between a first or second round pick when you are talking about a player of Revis caliber.

Denver spent $90 million on peyton....giving up a first round pick to fully take their shot is smart business.
    No Pace and Scott were not worth their money in the 2011 season, never mind the 2012 season. But then Scott was never worth the money they paid him. And your right about the comparative talent levels, but that is offset by the fact that he will require a salary equal to their combined salaries. In 4 years he may well be a 8mill a year border line level probowl player but still getting paid at that HOF level 15mill annually money. Discounted value is very important.

Denver did not spend 90 mill on Peyton, his salary is only guaranteed for the next year based on his play the previous year. The only guaranteed money was this year. Now based on his play this year, his 2013 money is guaranteed. Likewise the same every year. His contract is purely performance based.

I have no doubt that a team will pay him what he is worth- there is no argument. What is open to discussion is how many teams value a corner at the 15mill level, have 15 mill to spend and how much a team will give up for him prior to him proving it on the field.

No one is even talking about how Revis feels about this? What if he does not want to be traded to certain teams? If He talks to the Broncos and the broncos don't want to go over 12 mill and 25 mill up front does he want to sign there or go to Cleveland or Cinci but their draft pick comp is not the same value.

As a GM yo have to be able to tell your owner that Revis is 6mill a year better than Grimes, or 2X more money than Talib, DRC, Jenkins, Cason
    all of which wont cost any draft picks.

As a Bronco fan would you rather have any two of William Moore, Brent Grimes, Jenkins, Byrd, Goldson, Talib, and keep your draft choices or trade for Revis.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Revis going to the Niners or Broncos would be SCARY. That team would immediately become the best Defense in the League by a large margin, and be favored to win it all next year.
    Now since SF is over the cap now, and cutting Smith will save 6mill, and will lose Goldson, Sapogoa, Fracois and delanie Walker to FA plus needing to cut 9 mill more of players to get to the gap to sign Revis you still think that.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    the amount of hate on this board for certain players sickens me. are all you haters happy miserating year after year since 1969.

this guy is no good this guy is cancer this guy wants too much money. trade revis for what? draft picks that may never play an nfl down or contribute anywhere near what he does.

how many of you work and earn a paycheck? thats what revis is doing he just so happens to be the best at what he does in the nfl. so lets hate him lets bash him lets trade him. why not then most of us wouldnt have anything to ***** moan and complain about.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    WHY?

The Giants have made the playoffs once in the last four years.

Let me put that another way:

THE GIANTS HAVE MISSED THE PLAYOFFS 3 OF THE LAST 4 YEARS

That's the team you want to model yourself after?
    I get your point here, but c'mon. The Giants ARE one of the model franchises in all of sports. They have few equals in pro sports, and maybe one or two in the NFL. All experts agree on this. Even a fanatical Jets fan like me must admit to this.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now since SF is over the cap now, and cutting Smith will save 6mill, and will lose Goldson, Sapogoa, Fracois and delanie Walker to FA plus needing to cut 9 mill more of players to get to the gap to sign Revis you still think that.
    There is this thing they have now called a signing bonus

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    the amount of hate on this board for certain players sickens me. are all you haters happy miserating year after year since 1969.

this guy is no good this guy is cancer this guy wants too much money. trade revis for what? draft picks that may never play an nfl down or contribute anywhere near what he does.

how many of you work and earn a paycheck? thats what revis is doing he just so happens to be the best at what he does in the nfl. so lets hate him lets bash him lets trade him. why not then most of us wouldnt have anything to ***** moan and complain about.
    That sounds like the ranting of a child.. No one hates Revis, some don't like the way he conducts business but that's not hate.. 99% would love to have Revis for his career but not at the cost of crippling the teams cap.. What is so hard to understand about that??