Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Gold rush forming' for possible Revis trade

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Pretty easy to tell the 20-something year old posters from the 40+ year old posters on the board.
    Yes they all have this label called Charter member.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Yes they all have this label called Charter member.
    My point was the younger posters seem to value individual players over the greater of the team.

Jets will be a much better "team" when Revis is on another team.

Jets Insider VIP
    My point was the younger posters seem to value individual players over the greater of the team.

If they could get Revis to stay for a Cap friendly salary I would want him to stay; however, Revis will go for the gold and hopefully we get some good value in a trade.

Brady is getting long in the tooth; I think the Pats get to draft QB. Ya think ?

What about the part of the article that said the Patriots would have an interest in him? I didn't think they'd want to deal with his selfish money demands, talented or not. Isn't it the protocol more or less to tell a guy like him to take a ****'n hike?

Quote Originally Posted by movethechains View Post
    What about the part of the article that said the Patriots would have an interest in him? I didn't think they'd want to deal with his selfish money demands, talented or not. Isn't it the protocol more or less to tell a guy like him to take a ****'n hike?
    He'd be a one year SB or bust player for the Pats. Brady's window is closing and he and Bellyache are jones'n for another SB win.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    He'd be a one year SB or bust player for the Pats. Brady's window is closing and he and Bellyache are jones'n for another SB win.
    +1 ... and for the record i could care less who wins the SB next year ... if revis helps them do it .. great ... as long as we get fair value for him.

All Pro

My whole problem with trading has more to do with what they will be getting in return.

Draft picks are a total crapshoot and its just not worth sending away a great, dominant player for an unknown. The reality is there is about a 50% chance of hitting on an early pick, not good enough odds for me.

The trade conversation for me would start with a known commodity and include a pick on top of that.

If they trade him for a pair of picks and end up with Kyle Wilson and Vlad Ducasse, they are much worse not better.

Everyone begging to trade him just assumes the draft picks will work out and that's 50/50 at best.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    My whole problem with trading has more to do with what they will be getting in return.

Draft picks are a total crapshoot and its just not worth sending away a great, dominant player for an unknown. The reality is there is about a 50% chance of hitting on an early pick, not good enough odds for me.

The trade conversation for me would start with a known commodity and include a pick on top of that.

If they trade him for a pair of picks and end up with Kyle Wilson and Vlad Ducasse, they are much worse not better.

Everyone begging to trade him just assumes the draft picks will work out and that's 50/50 at best.
    The flip side of the "uncertain" draft picks, is the "certainty" of spending 20%, or 1/5th of the Teams cap space on the secondary (which lacks any real Safeties) which is about 12.5% or 1/8th of the team.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    The flip side of the "uncertain" draft picks, is the "certainty" of spending 20%, or 1/5th of the Teams cap space on the secondary (which lacks any real Safeties) which is about 12.5% or 1/8th of the team.
    That money can be made up elsewhere, particularly at QB where they will be dumping a big number within a year and its not like they will have the opportunity to spend big on a free agent QB since that those guys hardly ever hit the open market (and even when they do, they don't want to play here). so id prefer to figure out how to navigate around those cap numbers because it would be easier than figuring out how to get around picking Lawrence Maroney and Darius Butler types only to cut them two years later.

Please, someone, present a trade scenario that involves a good payer coming here. This draft pick garbage is a waste of time.

All Pro
    That money can be made up elsewhere, particularly at QB where they will be dumping a big number within a year
    It can also be made up on the young and very capable D line. Wilk, Coples and Ellis have a cap charge next year of less than 5 million. And that's in total, not each.

So you could have 4 guys - Coples, Wilk, Ellis and Revis - for less than $20m. Suddenly starts to sound a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    It can also be made up on the young and very capable D line. Wilk, Coples and Ellis have a cap charge next year of less than 5 million. And that's in total, not each.

So you could have 4 guys - Coples, Wilk, Ellis and Revis - for less than $20m. Suddenly starts to sound a lot better.
    If you go down that road and use up the money on Revis, you will lose those defensive linemen when the rookie contracts are over and we are back in cap hell.

Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    There is this thing they have now called a signing bonus
    Please explain what you mean? What good does a SB do or how does that help them?

All League
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Revis has a clause prohibiting the Jets from franchising him when this contract expires. While a draft picks trade scenario has a measure of risk its still better than simply letting the guy walk and getting nothing in return.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by James Hasty View Post
    If you go down that road and use up the money on Revis, you will lose those defensive linemen when the rookie contracts are over and we are back in cap hell.
    +1 The one player you should always make adjustments for is the QB period.. Unless you were the Colts last season who could have gotten some picks for Manning if not for that 27 million roster bonus had he stayed..

What seems to never come up is...
    Because we can't franchise him, he's going to be a free agent at the end of next season - and Revis is certain to go to the highest bidder, which is a scenario the Jets can't win that battle.

That money can be made up elsewhere, particularly at QB where they will be dumping a big number within a year and its not like they will have the opportunity to spend big on a free agent QB since that those guys hardly ever hit the open market (and even when they do, they don't want to play here). so id prefer to figure out how to navigate around those cap numbers because it would be easier than figuring out how to get around picking Lawrence Maroney and Darius Butler types only to cut them two years later.

Please, someone, present a trade scenario that involves a good payer coming here. This draft pick garbage is a waste of time.
    What do you mean the money can be made elsewhere? How by drafting these crap shoot players that you spoke of? Why do you make no mention of the 12 mill in additional cap room in the coming years to sign FA.

in 2014 would you rather have Revis and Cro making 24 mill or say Cro, Grimes, William Moore, and say the G Dallas Thomas and late 1st DE like Answah? The 15 mill that your saving gets to be spread around over the roster. You make it seem like the draft pick is going to get the 15 mill that your earmarking to Revis.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    What seems to never come up is...
    Because we can't franchise him, he's going to be a free agent at the end of next season - and Revis is certain to go to the highest bidder, which is a scenario the Jets can't win that battle.
    If we let him get to the end of 2013 unsigned, then yes we face a bidding war as he is a free agent.

But until then he cannot use the rest of the market to push his price up. No-one can negotiate with him but us. So that takes away one negotiating piece from the Revis camp.

If we still can't get him to within an acceptable contract this off-season, then yes it makes more sense to trade him than lose him later for zero. But we still have to go through that process, and maybe a compromise can be found that works for both sides.

Too many posters here have already decided Revis wants more than any other defensive player (because some in the media have speculated this) so treat that as fact. All I'm saying is let's see what Idzik is willing to offer before we start planning what to do with the draft picks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by movethechains View Post
    Every team out there will be "interested" in Revis.

But if you think the Pats will pay Revis Mario Williams-like money, you are crazy.

Pats let Ty Law and Asante Samuel walk in the prime of their careers because they did not want to pay them.

Revis ending up on the Pats has a zero chance of happening.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by James Hasty View Post
    By the time that comes up, Revis will be 3 years older, maybe his best years behind him, we may be happy to move on then. Or he may have retired through injury. Or a million other things can be happening.

But in the near future (next 2 - 3 years) we won't exactly have a ton of talented young guys coming to the end of their rookie deals and looking for big money. There is NO-ONE from our 08 / 09 / 10 drafts that will need major re-upping. (I think Kyle Wilson is our "biggest" guy from that span).

So we could end up in the opposite of cap hell - TALENT HELL. A load of cap room and no-one worth spending it on.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

If we let him get to the end of 2013 unsigned, then yes we face a bidding war as he is a free agent.

But until then he cannot use the rest of the market to push his price up. No-one can negotiate with him but us. So that takes away one negotiating piece from the Revis camp.

If we still can't get him to within an acceptable contract this off-season, then yes it makes more sense to trade him than lose him later for zero. But we still have to go through that process, and maybe a compromise can be found that works for both sides.

Too many posters here have already decided Revis wants more than any other defensive player (because some in the media have speculated this) so treat that as fact. All I'm saying is let's see what Idzik is willing to offer before we start planning what to do with the draft picks.
    There's that and the fact that he holds out every time he's not happy with the money.. DeMarcus Ware the 7 time Pro Bowler 4 time All pro had a base salary around 750,00 last season.. Thanks to his bonus's he ended up with around 7 million.. Revis wont accept low years in his contract if he don't have a deal before camp I say he holds out and says screw that 3 million a year for holding out..