Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Gold rush forming' for possible Revis trade

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    This is actually great news! I was afraid that we wouldn't recieve the King's ransom for a Revis trade but it looks like there will be a huge bidding war and we will get at least a 1st for him.

A 3 this year and a 1 next year gets this done IMO.
    Agree with this! This gold rush is GREAT news.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    At last, someone brings out this excellent point.

Many of you are complaining that our scouting department needs to be blown up. We could have the best scouting department in the league and never know it if Rex was influencing Tanny to disregard their recommendations. Some have suggested that Mangini had a better eye for talent than Rex. Did you ever think that Mangini simply trusted the scouting deparment's recommendations and didn't meddle as much as Rex?
    Very true, on top of that remember Joey Clinkscales left last year after
    the draft. Maybe because he and his staff was getting overruled by Rex
    and Tannenbaum

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Very true, on top of that remember Joey Clinkscales left last year after
    the draft. Maybe because he and his staff was getting overruled by Rex
    and Tannenbaum
    my guess is that not only this, but the scouts were getting frustrated that tanny kept trading picks away. their work was minimized.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are predictable and I'm glad you are not the Jets GM.

If you think Rex is gonna sign off on this then you are crazy. Our pass defense wasn't that good last year either.

You don't trade HOF talent in their prime... unless you're an idiot.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post

If you think Rex is gonna sign off on this then you are crazy. Our pass defense wasn't that good last year either.

Hmmm...... the stats tell a different story.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

2nd in the league vs the pass and that is with no pass rush at all from olbs.

As for point 2, yes you do if you are in a cap poor situation, have determined that this iteration of the jets can not win it all and feel you can't afford or do not want to pay a CB the amount he may be asking.

Hey, most people want to keep Revis and if we do they will be happy as clams. I think there is a misconception that people want to dump him asap. What people want is to build a team that can contend each and every year for a good number of years. As fans we may disagree on hos best to accomplish that.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I would say that the pass defense was good....but not as good as the stats would lead people to believe.

Part of what goes into the passing stats is the fact that teams ran the ball on us well, another part is that other teams were ahead alot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    But for the first time in years we were awful against the run. Part of it was because we had to send extra players into coverage to make up for the loss of Revis. Then consider that a lot of teams did not even have to pass the ball against us because they a) could run it very well and b) were ahead.

Revis is a special player and talent and we had the worst year as a team and as a defense without him last season. Of course a lot of factors play into that but when you think that losing maybe the best CB OF ALL TIME wasnt one of them then you need to get your head checked. We need his presence and his talent to really be a special defense. Just like other top defenses in the league, you need all time players to have a GREAT, not good but great defense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    This is a good point, however do you pay Revis w/e he is asking for or do you get what you can for him now before he hits FA?
    Well...if the Jets are shopping Revis...we all just got our answer.

The one team that jumps out among those mentioned...is Idzik's former team...the Seahawks. Perhaps mutual respect makes it easier for Jets to trade with them. And Jets may be willing to take a #2 and 5. Plus either Seattle's #1 or #2 corner.

Of course...when I hear "goldrush"...that sounds to me that Jets may very well be able to get a #1...and a player of need.

In the end...something has to give...cause I have no confidence that Jets can resign Revis.

Do it Idzy...find us Revis gold in them thar hills

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Detroit also has an elite QB and a very good offense. Just because we only heard of a couple of teams doesn't mean teams like the Lions won't jump in. In fact, a team like the Lions could probably use Revis more than a team like the 49ers. The 49ers/seattle/denver already have a good defense. Revis would be gravy for them. Revis could turn a bad Lions defense into a title contending defense.

It's very early in the process and I am sure a few teams have interest but are playing it cool for now.
    Again, the lions are over the cap. IMO any team with less 15mill can't be a player for Revis. That leaves 11 teams, 3 of which are in the AFC east, Seattle which has no need, Balt who needs to sign Flacco and 4 other starters.

Arizona $3.6M ($723,000)
    Atlanta $307,000 $4.9M
    Baltimore $1.2M $15.7M
    Buffalo $9.8M $20.6M
    Carolina $3.6M ($11.8M)
    Chicago $3.2M $13.3M
    Cincinnati $8.5M $55.1M
    Cleveland $14.3M $48.9M
    Dallas $2.3M ($18.2M)
    Denver $11.5M $18.5M
    Detroit $486,000 ($1.1M)
    Green Bay $7M $7.1M
    Houston $2.4M $12.9M
    Indianapolis $3.5M $46M
    Jacksonville $19.5M $22.1M
    Kansas City $14M $16.1M
    Miami $5.3M $35.8M
    Minnesota $8M $16.1M
    New England $5.6M $18.6M
    New Orleans $2.7M ($14.7M)
    NY Giants $1M ($4.7M)
    NY Jets $3.4M ($19.4M)
    Oakland $4.5M ($4.5M)
    Philadelphia $23M $5.2M
    Pittsburgh $758,000 ($10.8M)
    San Diego $995,000 $8.7M
    San Francisco $859,000 $3.9M
    Seattle $13.2M $18.6M
    St. Louis $247,000 $1.8M
    Tampa Bay $8.5M $31.3M
    Tennessee $12.8M $19.4M
    Washington $4.2M ($4M)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The Jets pass defense was #2 in the NFL last season.

And that was without Revis.

Revis will be more valuable to the Jets when he is on another team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    If this report is true then floating the story about trading Revis worked.
    Get teams bidding against one another and see who comes up with the
    best package. Great player, but his constant crying about his contract
    has turned me off. Ideally with him coming off the ACL I would like
    a 2nd & 3rd this year and a conditional 1st next year based on his health
    Love this deal!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    One NFL general manager called the trade interest in Darrelle Revis “one of the biggest potential trade markets for a player ever.” He likened the growing interest in Revis to when Reggie White was leaving Philadelphia as a free agent or the Peyton Manning sweepstakes last year. That, basically, says it all about what's happening with Revis.

The possibility of a Revis trade, first reported by CBSSports.com's Jason La Canfora, is no longer just a possibility, according to a variety of sources. The Jets are strongly leaning toward the trade and teams are considering giving up significant capital to get him.
    "There's a Revis gold rush forming,” said a general manager.

The teams highly interested in Revis are looking at teams like the Seahawks and the two Super Bowl participants and how despite this being an offense-driven league now, defenses still can dramatically and quickly change a team's fortune.

Several team sources are claiming the Jets want a first- and second-round pick for Revis, which is astronomical payment considering that Revis -- while one of the best players in all of football -- is nonetheless coming off knee surgery and will want a hefty contract.
    The Jets won't get a one and two (no way), but teams think the Jets can get a nice gaggle of picks and a player.
    Sources say one of the teams highly interested are the New England Patriots, but not even the Jets, who have made some screwy decisions over the years, would trade Revis to the division rival Patriots and, in the process, hand them a Super Bowl.
    Other teams highly interested, I'm told are Denver, San Francisco, Buffalo (not happening -- division rival), and even Seattle, which already has some of the best defensive backs in the game. One team also constantly mentioned by league sources is Green Bay though the Packers, possessors of one of the best front offices in all of sports, usually don't give up high-round picks.
    So the race to get Revis is on.
    Who will win?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mi...le-revis-trade

There comparing him to Reggie white smh but no CB's aren't important .
    I wonder who that GM was? I say 50% that its Idzig or 50% a rival trying to stir the pot and create a frenzy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The eye test tells the real story. Teams ran the football on the Jets. They were #3 in lowest amount of throws against them. On the contrary, they were #3 in rush attempts against. That's why the stats look the way they do. The defense in general sucked last year. Cherry picking stats to make it seem better than it was is just that, cherry picking stats. I can find you some really alarming ones too that would state that our defense was poor.

This defense doesn't compare anywhere near the last few years have. Cromartie played better than some expected him too, but if anyone should be traded it's him. The only reason the Jets will trade Revis is because they can't franchise tag him and this is his last year. It's certainly not because they think their defense is fine without him. In fact, it's worse and a lot of numbers showed that.

So yeah, the Jets looked like a great pass defense. That's only because people threw the ball sparingly and ran all over them. When the offense needed big pass plays, usually at the end of games, they got them at will. I don't care what the stats say. That's the way teams played against the defense. Methodically moving the ball, which is why they had the lowest disparity between rushing yards and passing yards given up.
    Last edited by southside; 01-25-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Who is acting like they are guaranteed? I see little evidence of that in this thread. A lot of people who are endorsing a trade would like to keep Revis but realize that may not be possible long term. thus you try and get the biggest return possible and hope it pans out.
    /thread

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    If there are teams actually willing to part with a 1st round pick and even additional picks or players for Revis, then you pull the trigger without hesitation.

Hypothetically, let's say Green Bay offers their 1st and a player like James Jones or Randall Cobb. You're telling me you wouldn't make that deal?

Another hypothetical, San Fran offers us their 1st round pick and someone like Alex Smith or Ahmad Brooks. You wouldn't take that deal?

I sure as hell would.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It comes down to one key point. 2013 is not looking like a SB run type year. Either Revis resigns long term this offseason or he gets traded. Theres no way you go into 2013 with him unsigned and headed for FA. That would be stupid.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    If there are teams actually willing to part with a 1st round pick and even additional picks or players for Revis, then you pull the trigger without hesitation.

Hypothetically, let's say Green Bay offers their 1st and a player like James Jones or Randall Cobb. You're telling me you wouldn't make that deal?

Another hypothetical, San Fran offers us their 1st round pick and someone like Alex Smith or Ahmad Brooks. You wouldn't take that deal?

I sure as hell would.
    You'd give up a sure 1st ballet HOFer for one of the worst #1 overall busts in history? Really?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please get a first round pick for 2014! If the Jets are patient they will be able to drive up the cost for Revis as the news comes out that his recovery is going well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not only that but you want to give up Revis for a 1st round draft pick in one of the weakest draft classes in recent memory. And you want to do this to rebuild the offense? Who's available on offense in this years draft?

There is no logic with you people.