Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 325

Thread: 'Gold rush forming' for possible Revis trade

  1. #161
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,062
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I agree. But what the hell is the point to trading Revis?

    That's my point the whole time. Cromartie's contract is worse than the potential contract Revis would sign for sheer fact that Cromartie isn't worth his money, especially on our team. We don't need him. He's healthy and is coming off a pro bowl season. He has trade value.

    Revis shouldn't be traded. And trading him is certainly not going to fix our offensive problems. That's the joke around here apparently... some think that trading Revis = having a better offense. I like that we actually have a real OC for the first time in a decade on our staff. That will help the offense. Fact is we aren't getting anyone who will make a difference with the pick we'll get from Revis. In the meantime we weaken our pass defense and lose a HOF player. Sorry, it's a bad idea. It's even more atrocious when you attempt to get Alex Smith in the deal. The fact that anyone thinks Alex Smith will make this team a winner is laughable. I'd rather ride out with Sanchez than trade Revis for Smith. That's a joke.
    If it doesn't work financially, or if you can get bodies. This D can survive without him this team can't survive with this O that needs 4/5 holes filled this team is in deep sh*t unless less Sanchez pulls off a miracle and even then it needs players. They are in deeep, real deep.

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Luck, Smith, and Schaub are not absolutely miserable QBs. Neither is Wilson, and he handed us 7 points early and was held under 200 yards. Brady had a very modest game in NE against us. Bradford bombed against us (even though he played well against the 49ers a couple times). The only great QB games we allowed were to Brady in our house and Roethlisberger in Pitt. Oh well, we're the worst i guess
    Arian Foster ran all over us that game.
    SF ran for 250 yards on us that game.
    Wilson threw 2 TDs and SEA ran for 189 yards that game, Lynch running all over us.
    Andrew Luck was a Rookie with a lot on his shoulders who didn't exactly have the best year throwing the ball, lets be honest, and Rex got the best of him. Despite that he still threw for 280 yards.

    So, the only example of a QB (based more on his potential than his statistical QB prowess) that we actually stopped that's worth a damn was Luck and he still threw the ball for 280 yards. That's not a miserable performance. Let's be honest here, the Jets ate the lunches of the garbage QBs and routinely got picked apart by the good QBs and they also were run all over all season long which is why they had the 3rd fewest pass attempts thrown against them despite being in the bottom half of the league in points given up.

    Sorry, I don't think our defense played well this year at all. You do. And you think because of your perception of the defense this year that it makes Revis expendable. I disagree.

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    If it doesn't work financially, or if you can get bodies. This D can survive without him this team can't survive with this O that needs 4/5 holes filled this team is in deep sh*t unless less Sanchez pulls off a miracle and even then it needs players. They are in deeep, real deep.
    If he won't be reasonable then he won't resign and that means then we need to trade him. Absolutely. I'm not saying to sign Revis at all costs. I said make him the highest paid CB which is what he wants, which is 12M. If he wants the moon, well he can go somewhere else and get that but there have been no indications to support that. Revis wanted a 12M per year deal, the 4 year deal he signed didn't pay him that. That's why we're here again. Sign him to a 5 year, 12M per year deal and he'll be happy. That's of course my opinion on the little facts ... and I stress facts ... that I am privy too.

    But you are right, the offense needs a serious over haul at the QB, RB and Guard positions. I don't think you need to trade Revis to accomplish that, especially in the draft this year. Warmack at #9, Ball in the 2nd round (I hope) and look at all QBs available in the 3rd round via trade for a veteran or actually drafting a guy, FA guys available... etc... that will go a long way to fixing the offenses problems without trading anyone on our team and filling 2 huge offensive holes with cheap but highly productive alternatives... assuming those players I've mentioned actually do what people expect them to do.

  4. #164
    Let me put it this way...

    If Darrell Revis was a Denver Bronco this year they would never have lost that Divisional Round game to the Ravens, and if they don't lose that game to the Ravens there's a very good chance they would have beaten the Patriots in the Championship Game, and if they beat the Patriots in the AFCCG then they're in the Superbowl. That's how much difference Darrell Revis makes to the Denver Broncos next season.


    The Broncos need this guy. They have the cap space and a lower 1st rounder to offer. They need to get this thing done.

  5. #165
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,062
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    If he won't be reasonable then he won't resign and that means then we need to trade him. Absolutely. I'm not saying to sign Revis at all costs. I said make him the highest paid CB which is what he wants, which is 12M. If he wants the moon, well he can go somewhere else and get that but there have been no indications to support that. Revis wanted a 12M per year deal, the 4 year deal he signed didn't pay him that. That's why we're here again. Sign him to a 5 year, 12M per year deal and he'll be happy. That's of course my opinion on the little facts ... and I stress facts ... that I am privy too.

    But you are right, the offense needs a serious over haul at the QB, RB and Guard positions. I don't think you need to trade Revis to accomplish that, especially in the draft this year. Warmack at #9, Ball in the 2nd round (I hope) and look at all QBs available in the 3rd round via trade for a veteran or actually drafting a guy, FA guys available... etc... that will go a long way to fixing the offenses problems without trading anyone on our team and filling 2 huge offensive holes with cheap but highly productive alternatives... assuming those players I've mentioned actually do what people expect them to do.
    If you think we can have our cake and eat it too great, hey I like Revis he is a good guy off the field. If we have to trade Revis, and trade down too I'm good with that too, whatever it takes to start correcting this mess.

  6. #166
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,213
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    If he won't be reasonable then he won't resign and that means then we need to trade him. Absolutely. I'm not saying to sign Revis at all costs. I said make him the highest paid CB which is what he wants, which is 12M. If he wants the moon, well he can go somewhere else and get that but there have been no indications to support that. Revis wanted a 12M per year deal, the 4 year deal he signed didn't pay him that. That's why we're here again. Sign him to a 5 year, 12M per year deal and he'll be happy. That's of course my opinion on the little facts ... and I stress facts ... that I am privy too.

    But you are right, the offense needs a serious over haul at the QB, RB and Guard positions. I don't think you need to trade Revis to accomplish that, especially in the draft this year. Warmack at #9, Ball in the 2nd round (I hope) and look at all QBs available in the 3rd round via trade for a veteran or actually drafting a guy, FA guys available... etc... that will go a long way to fixing the offenses problems without trading anyone on our team and filling 2 huge offensive holes with cheap but highly productive alternatives... assuming those players I've mentioned actually do what people expect them to do.
    However, time is of the essence. You need to lock Revis up now while he is rehabing and he may not want to do that. He is the best and wants to be paid 15/16 mill a year long term. So we do what you suggested trade him now.

  7. #167
    Any of the top teams who need a CB are going to be selecting a CB in the 1st round anyway. Why take a chance on the unknown when you can have THE KNOWN? The Broncos are going to make this thing happen because they can't have another Champ Bailey torch game like they had against the Ravens. Bailey cost them a shot at the Superbowl this year, that's not ever going to happen again. Revis is a Bronco next season for sure.

  8. #168
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    phoenix via orlando via nyc
    Posts
    434
    unless someone here is good friends with revis, I would like to know where this 14/15 million dollar figure is coming from. has revis ever stated that is what he wants or is this just conjecture on our part?

  9. #169
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Arian Foster ran all over us that game.
    SF ran for 250 yards on us that game.
    Wilson threw 2 TDs and SEA ran for 189 yards that game, Lynch running all over us.
    Andrew Luck was a Rookie with a lot on his shoulders who didn't exactly have the best year throwing the ball, lets be honest, and Rex got the best of him. Despite that he still threw for 280 yards.

    So, the only example of a QB (based more on his potential than his statistical QB prowess) that we actually stopped that's worth a damn was Luck and he still threw the ball for 280 yards. That's not a miserable performance. Let's be honest here, the Jets ate the lunches of the garbage QBs and routinely got picked apart by the good QBs and they also were run all over all season long which is why they had the 3rd fewest pass attempts thrown against them despite being in the bottom half of the league in points given up.

    Sorry, I don't think our defense played well this year at all. You do. And you think because of your perception of the defense this year that it makes Revis expendable. I disagree.
    You're boxscore reading and not remembering any of those games. Foster ran all over us on 2 drives. Houston's offense couldn't do anything the rest of the game. Despite a mediocre offensive performance, we had the ball late in the game with a chance to win until Suckchez turned it over (again!). Schaub was terrible in that game other than the early TD throw. Our pass D gave us a real chance to win against what was at the time the best team in football.

    Niners ran the ball well, but so much of it came after the game was decided, and the only reason the game was decided despite the mediocre/bad games by Smith and Gore (neither played well) was because of the absolutely pitiful Jets offense.

    Luck was HORRIBLE in that game, that you would cite to his garbage time yards when his team was getting blown out is boxscore reading at its best.

    Wilson struggled early and took a sack fumble. Lynch was bottled up in the 1st half, couldn't do anything. So what happened? Hmmm that's right our offense kept turning it over or going 3 and out again... and again... and again... and eventually the D caved late 3rd quarter. Notice a theme?

    Who really picked us apart? Big Ben, but he has a remarkable ability to extend plays which hurt us, and the Wallace TD pass was just a hail mary prayer anyway (one of the few Cro played badly all season). Brady I guess you could say did in the 2nd game in MetLife, but our offense and special teams handed them 2 free scores in the 2nd quarter that made that game a laugher and our entire D basically quit after that. But it's also Tom Brady!
    Last edited by SlickBri481; 01-25-2013 at 05:34 PM.

  10. #170
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Any of the top teams who need a CB are going to be selecting a CB in the 1st round anyway. Why take a chance on the unknown when you can have THE KNOWN? The Broncos are going to make this thing happen because they can't have another Champ Bailey torch game like they had against the Ravens. Bailey cost them a shot at the Superbowl this year, that's not ever going to happen again. Revis is a Bronco next season for sure.
    I wouldn't go as far as saying for sure but they as a team make the most sense. Cap room, a team close to the promised land. A team that got killed by their CB play in the game that counted. Do not have a really high 1st rounder. Have a franchise Qb who is older and may not have a long shelf life.

    Having said all of that very often teams that make the most sense to have an interest in things like this instead diddle around because they hate trading picks.

  11. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    If he won't be reasonable then he won't resign and that means then we need to trade him. Absolutely. I'm not saying to sign Revis at all costs. I said make him the highest paid CB which is what he wants, which is 12M. If he wants the moon, well he can go somewhere else and get that but there have been no indications to support that. Revis wanted a 12M per year deal, the 4 year deal he signed didn't pay him that. That's why we're here again. Sign him to a 5 year, 12M per year deal and he'll be happy. That's of course my opinion on the little facts ... and I stress facts ... that I am privy too.

    But you are right, the offense needs a serious over haul at the QB, RB and Guard positions. I don't think you need to trade Revis to accomplish that, especially in the draft this year. Warmack at #9, Ball in the 2nd round (I hope) and look at all QBs available in the 3rd round via trade for a veteran or actually drafting a guy, FA guys available... etc... that will go a long way to fixing the offenses problems without trading anyone on our team and filling 2 huge offensive holes with cheap but highly productive alternatives... assuming those players I've mentioned actually do what people expect them to do.
    The justification for trading Revis is not that he isn't a valuable player or that the Jets are somehow better without him, the idea is to turn him into several building blocks instead of him leaving for nothing next season when we don't decide to make him the highest paid defensive player in football. It's a long-term strategy. I don't care about Rex's job or winning in 2013. I care about putting together a consistent winner and you need pieces for that. You don't need a $16 mill per year corner.

  12. #172
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as saying for sure but they as a team make the most sense. Cap room, a team close to the promised land. A team that got killed by their CB play in the game that counted. Do not have a really high 1st rounder. Have a franchise Qb who is older and may not have a long shelf life.

    Having said all of that very often teams that make the most sense to have an interest in things like this instead diddle around because they hate trading picks.
    The Broncos are going to burn their 1st rounder on a CB anyway. They're better off handing that pick to the Jets and picking up the best CB in the game to nail down half the D-backfield for them. When your offense puts up 35 points in a playoff game you should win it, unless your CB lets up 17+ points all by himself.

    Holding on to picks is great unless you're looking at the sure thing, and Revis is the sure thing.

  13. #173
    as long as the first rounder is a top 10 then things will work out. revis is certainly the best at his position but for maybe another 4 seasons assuming he can come back from the acl. and that's assuming he doesn't get another injury. not saying he's injury prone but we all saw him a couple of season's ago get his hamstring after holding out. he's going to hold out again if the jets try to keep him and he really needs to go this off season before he becomes a free agent.

  14. #174
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    The Broncos are going to burn their 1st rounder on a CB anyway. They're better off handing that pick to the Jets and picking up the best CB in the game to nail down half the D-backfield for them. When your offense puts up 35 points in a playoff game you should win it, unless your CB lets up 17+ points all by himself.

    Holding on to picks is great unless you're looking at the sure thing, and Revis is the sure thing.
    Oh I agree with you 100%. Some teams and GM's get balky at the wrong times though. I've seen so many times when a certain draft pick made perfect sense to a team and they do something else.

  15. #175
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    The justification for trading Revis is not that he isn't a valuable player or that the Jets are somehow better without him, the idea is to turn him into several building blocks instead of him leaving for nothing next season when we don't decide to make him the highest paid defensive player in football. It's a long-term strategy. I don't care about Rex's job or winning in 2013. I care about putting together a consistent winner and you need pieces for that. You don't need a $16 mill per year corner.
    I think he'll cost 12M per year.

    He'll either sign with the Jets or he'll get traded. I don't think you need to trade Revis to better the team. At this point you're just saying that Revis costs too much, regardless if we have the room or not to sign him.

    You don't need Revis to win a Super Bowl ... you're right about that. But he makes the defense a hole lot better.

  16. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Luck, Smith, and Schaub are not absolutely miserable QBs. Neither is Wilson, and he handed us 7 points early and was held under 200 yards. Brady had a very modest game in NE against us. Bradford bombed against us (even though he played well against the 49ers a couple times). The only great QB games we allowed were to Brady in our house and Roethlisberger in Pitt. Oh well, we're the worst i guess

    Pats and Falcons would have traded our pass D this season, minus Revis, for theirs in a heartbeat. They'd both be in the SB right now if they had had it.
    The jets don't have the jets pass D anymore either.

  17. #177
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Westchester
    Posts
    1,573
    The Seahawks scenario is too far-fetched for me, but Denver would seem like legitimate fit. They are really in a win-now situation.

    I could see us getting a 1 + 3 this year, plus a player - and a 4/5 next year.

    I still shudder to think that the Jets are capable of making the best of this situation.

  18. #178
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as saying for sure but they as a team make the most sense. Cap room, a team close to the promised land. A team that got killed by their CB play in the game that counted. Do not have a really high 1st rounder. Have a franchise Qb who is older and may not have a long shelf life.

    Having said all of that very often teams that make the most sense to have an interest in things like this instead diddle around because they hate trading picks.
    It is not only that teams don't like trading picks, they have thier own players to sign/ Clady is a free agent and is going to get 8 plus, Miller is a FA in two years.
    Thomas after next year. That is 3 contracts that will be between 8-10 mill a year, add that to Dumervil's 8 mill and Peyton's 25 mill you got more than 1/2 the cap in 5 players. Now you want to add Revis 12 mill to make it That is 6 guys making 72 mill and 47 guys making 1 mill each.

  19. #179
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    The Seahawks scenario is too far-fetched for me, but Denver would seem like legitimate fit. They are really in a win-now situation.

    I could see us getting a 1 + 3 this year, plus a player - and a 4/5 next year.

    I still shudder to think that the Jets are capable of making the best of this situation.
    Every team is in a win now mode. That does not mean you sacrifice your future.

  20. #180
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    One NFL general manager called the trade interest in Darrelle Revis “one of the biggest potential trade markets for a player ever.” He likened the growing interest in Revis to when Reggie White was leaving Philadelphia as a free agent or the Peyton Manning sweepstakes last year. That, basically, says it all about what's happening with Revis.

    The possibility of a Revis trade, first reported by CBSSports.com's Jason La Canfora, is no longer just a possibility, according to a variety of sources. The Jets are strongly leaning toward the trade and teams are considering giving up significant capital to get him.
    "There's a Revis gold rush forming,” said a general manager.

    The teams highly interested in Revis are looking at teams like the Seahawks and the two Super Bowl participants and how despite this being an offense-driven league now, defenses still can dramatically and quickly change a team's fortune.

    Several team sources are claiming the Jets want a first- and second-round pick for Revis, which is astronomical payment considering that Revis -- while one of the best players in all of football -- is nonetheless coming off knee surgery and will want a hefty contract.
    The Jets won't get a one and two (no way), but teams think the Jets can get a nice gaggle of picks and a player.
    Sources say one of the teams highly interested are the New England Patriots, but not even the Jets, who have made some screwy decisions over the years, would trade Revis to the division rival Patriots and, in the process, hand them a Super Bowl.
    Other teams highly interested, I'm told are Denver, San Francisco, Buffalo (not happening -- division rival), and even Seattle, which already has some of the best defensive backs in the game. One team also constantly mentioned by league sources is Green Bay though the Packers, possessors of one of the best front offices in all of sports, usually don't give up high-round picks.
    So the race to get Revis is on.
    Who will win?

    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mi...le-revis-trade

    There comparing him to Reggie white smh but no CB's aren't important .
    I mentioned last week, if Pats had revis their chances of playing next week would have been much better.. Ofcourse we wont trade him to pats, but we cant stop them from signing him in a year..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us