Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Gold rush forming' for possible Revis trade

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Revis has a clause prohibiting the Jets from franchising him when this contract expires.
    And that right there was the biggest mistake the Jets made in negotiating his last contract.

Why the hell would any team give up the opportunity to tag a player, especially the best player at his position in the NFL.

Hypothetical situation: Jets have the ability to tag Revis. He comes back strong in 2013 and has another great year. The Jets then slap the tag on him for 2014 and then work out a trade with another team.

The way it is now, Revis can just walk away to the highest bidder at the end of next year and the Jets could very likely receive nothing in return.

Another bonehead (just like extending Sanchez) move by Tanny and the Jets FO.

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    My point was the younger posters seem to value individual players over the greater of the team.

Jets will be a much better "team" when Revis is on another team.
    I agree with you on this, Mr. PatsFanTX. the Jets have very little talent left and by the time they get done dicking around guys like Mangold, Dabrick and the few good guys they have will be old and washed up. the Jets need PLAYERS, not a player.

Carl Spackler

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Spackler View Post
    I agree with you on this, Mr. PatsFanTX. the Jets have very little talent left and by the time they get done dicking around guys like Mangold, Dabrick and the few good guys they have will be old and washed up. the Jets need PLAYERS, not a player.

Carl Spackler
    Hi Carl welcome to the board..

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Hi Mr. Savage, Thank you! I have heard about you before, did you land with Ponce deleon in the Florida peninsula a while back?

Carl Spackler

Banned

Carl Spackler
    Welcome back!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Hi Mr. Savage, Thank you! I have heard about you before, did you land with Ponce deleon in the Florida peninsula a while back?

Carl Spackler
    Nope I just told him where it was for the 2 fine Spanish wenches he had on his ship..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    The title of this thread is misleading.

Most teams already know that the Jets would like to get rid of him, so why would other teams offer top dollar for a CB coming off of a major injury?

I can't see a scenario here where the Jets get it right.

The contract clauses are a negative as is the injury issue. If he gets a good health check and the jets find a way to alay those fears buy letting teams negotiate with revis before a deal and sign him long term then they should get good compensation for some team that wants to 'go for it'.

Atlanta traded two 1sts, a 2nd and two 4ths just to come up to get Julio Jones. Teams will pay a price if they think the guy can be a big enough impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The contract clauses are a negative as is the injury issue. If he gets a good health check and the jets find a way to alay those fears buy letting teams negotiate with revis before a deal and sign him long term then they should get good compensation for some team that wants to 'go for it'.

Atlanta traded two 1sts, a 2nd and two 4ths just to come up to get Julio Jones. Teams will pay a price if they think the guy can be a big enough impact.
    And be able to sign/afford him.....JJones, being a rookie, was alot cheaper (contract wise)...But also an unproven.

If the Jets truly want to trade Revis, which I believe they do due to his contract demands/cap number, they'll make out just fine with what they get...

Hall Of Fame
    Watching ESPN.

They are reporting Revis is requesting a "mega-contract" from Jets.

Keyshawn wants us to trade him.
    Ditka says if you don't pay him, trade him.
    Carter says we can't allocate that much money to one player when we need so many.
    Jackson says it is a Jets publicity stunt.
    Boomer says trade him for a package including Alex Smith.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 01-27-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Watching ESPN.

They are reporting Revis is requesting a "mega-contract" from Jets.

Keyshawn wants us to trade him.
    Ditka says if you don't pay him, trade him.
    Carter says we can't allocate that much money to one player when we need so many.
    Jackson says it is a Jets publicity stunt.
    Boomer says trade him for a package including Alex Smith.
    Go.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Go.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Go.
    Yes, I agree but only we ALSO get a high draft pick(s) as well. Revis will go to the NFC and not trouble us too much.

Quote Originally Posted by aagarcia View Post
    Yes, I agree but only we ALSO get a high draft pick(s) as well. Revis will go to the NFC and not trouble us too much.
    I think that was implied. If not, then I agree with you completely.

Smith is not my favorite QB, but at least the guy can play. I can't watch Sanchez INT/fumble away another season.

When would Revis likely be traded by? I know it was mentioned Cro has a signing bonus due mid march, so we would have to decide who goes by then right? And how far along is he in recovery where a team would deal this early for him?

If we don't deal with San Fran then I say trade him anyways as best as you can to the NFC if at all possible and bring in Matt Moore. With some high picks we can start rebuilding the LB corp and O line.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Damn Savage your avatar always kills me! Yum

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by aagarcia View Post
    Damn Savage your avatar always kills me! Yum
    Nothing like a fine glass stuck in a fine A$$..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekc View Post
    When would Revis likely be traded by? I know it was mentioned Cro has a signing bonus due mid march, so we would have to decide who goes by then right? And how far along is he in recovery where a team would deal this early for him?
    Revis has a $1m bonus due some time in March, but that's not the end of the world.

If you're mainly trading him to get picks, then obviously you need those before the draft (unless the main picks are 2014).

However - trading him before June 1st ADDS another $3m to his cap number for 2013 ... if you do this it limits even more what we can do with resigning our own FA's.

So it's a bit of a catch 22 in many ways. Trading him early makes 2013 even harder cap wise, but gets us draft picks this year ... trading him later delays the pay off in draft picks (and also makes them unknown in actual value) but gives us a little more wiggle room this year cap wise.

Sadly, I just can't see a real "win" situation here ... just different levels of "lose".

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Revis has a $1m bonus due some time in March, but that's not the end of the world.

If you're mainly trading him to get picks, then obviously you need those before the draft (unless the main picks are 2014).

However - trading him before June 1st ADDS another $3m to his cap number for 2013 ... if you do this it limits even more what we can do with resigning our own FA's.

So it's a bit of a catch 22 in many ways. Trading him early makes 2013 even harder cap wise, but gets us draft picks this year ... trading him later delays the pay off in draft picks (and also makes them unknown in actual value) but gives us a little more wiggle room this year cap wise.

Sadly, I just can't see a real "win" situation here ... just different levels of "lose".
    Cutting him adds $3M. Trading him we do get hit with his prorated signing bonus, but the workout bonus and annual salary will hit the cap of his new team.