Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 325

Thread: 'Gold rush forming' for possible Revis trade

  1. #301
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post

    What you say is true until the last sentence. Yes, Revis MAY play for a team like Tampa if they offer him 15 million per, but it will up to HIM to do it. Just because the Jets may get Tampa to agree to give up a slew of picks and a player or two, doesn't mean Revis HAS to negotiate a deal in good faith if he doesn't want to. If Revis is hell bent on becoming a UFA in 2014, that's exactly what he'll be. Jets have ZERO say in the matter.
    What happens if Revis is traded to Tampa and can not agree to a long-term contract?

    Does the hold-out clause he signed with the Jets remain intact, or is that voided upon the trade and he is free to hold-out in Tampa??

  2. #302
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,548
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    What happens if Revis is traded to Tampa and can not agree to a long-term contract?

    Does the hold-out clause he signed with the Jets remain intact, or is that voided upon the trade and he is free to hold-out in Tampa??
    I'd assume the whole contract shifts over - conditions and all. Unless there's a trade-specific clause that says they don't.

    So then Tampa (or whoever) would be faced with the dilemma we now have ... sign him or face losing him at year end. If you trade for this guy, you'll have to be prepared to pay him.

    This could work to our advantage ... if the 'rumour mill' shows that teams are wary of trading for him because of his contract demands, it may show that his league-wide value is not as high as he / his agents perceive. That may help him accept a lower-than-exorbitant deal from us, but one where he can still be the league's highest paid CB.

  3. #303
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    31,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    The Pats went through that with Asante Samuel. There may have been others also. I think the players have to convince the team that they're willing to sit out the major portion of a season to get what they want, ala Logan Mankins.

    As for the Revis situation, I can't believe that his value is really that high. How many games has he missed? He doesn't care much for making tackles does he? I can still see him doing a complete ole' against Tebow on a run last year. He wants too much money and there's no guarantee that he'll honor the contract anyway. He also comes across as very selfish. If I were a Jets fan I'd be delighted to get whatever I could for the guy. He's going to leave anyway.
    You obviously don't know what you're talking about.
    Revis has always been the Jets best tackler, hands down.

  4. #304
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    You obviously don't know what you're talking about.
    Revis has always been the Jets best tackler, hands down.
    +1. VERY ignorant post to say he didn't care about tackling.

  5. #305
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    You obviously don't know what you're talking about.
    Revis has always been the Jets best tackler, hands down.
    he's confusing Revis, who is a good taclker, with Cro, who in the past generally avoided contact (but that did change for the better in 2012)

  6. #306
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    I'd assume the whole contract shifts over - conditions and all. Unless there's a trade-specific clause that says they don't.

    So then Tampa (or whoever) would be faced with the dilemma we now have ... sign him or face losing him at year end. If you trade for this guy, you'll have to be prepared to pay him.

    This could work to our advantage ... if the 'rumour mill' shows that teams are wary of trading for him because of his contract demands, it may show that his league-wide value is not as high as he / his agents perceive. That may help him accept a lower-than-exorbitant deal from us, but one where he can still be the league's highest paid CB.

    I actually see quite the opposite because of this clause. It would be similar to a Dwight Howard/Carmelo scenario where Revis can basically hold trade trade partners hostage by stating he is only willing to play for certain teams, otherwise they risk giving up alot for a rental player. So it then comes down to Revis saying I will extend only with specific teams, which creates a bit of leverage for a team he'd be willing to go to and that FO would now be bidding against fewer teams which would drive the price down, not up.


    For the Knicks, they were the only team Melo wanted and the FO had an unbelievable amount of leverage there. It's just too bad a meddling owner, James Dolan, couldn't understand this concept. Hopefully another seemingly meddling owner stays completely outta this.

  7. #307
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    7,581
    Quote Originally Posted by rlucas4137 View Post
    I actually see quite the opposite because of this clause. It would be similar to a Dwight Howard/Carmelo scenario where Revis can basically hold trade trade partners hostage by stating he is only willing to play for certain teams, otherwise they risk giving up alot for a rental player. So it then comes down to Revis saying I will extend only with specific teams, which creates a bit of leverage for a team he'd be willing to go to and that FO would now be bidding against fewer teams which would drive the price down, not up.


    For the Knicks, they were the only team Melo wanted and the FO had an unbelievable amount of leverage there. It's just too bad a meddling owner, James Dolan, couldn't understand this concept. Hopefully another seemingly meddling owner stays completely outta this.
    This is off topic but Dolan lost his leverage when Melo said that he would like to be traded to the Nets if the Knicks couldn't work out a deal with the Nuggets. That's why Dolan stepped in and gave 3/4ths of the team away to the Nuggets for Melo and Chauncey, overruling Donnie Walsh's better judgement (at the time).

  8. #308
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    You obviously don't know what you're talking about.
    Revis has always been the Jets best tackler, hands down.
    Who was the CB who completely whiffed on Tebow when he ran for the game-winning TD two years ago in Denver?

  9. #309
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,828
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Who was the CB who completely whiffed on Tebow when he ran for the game-winning TD two years ago in Denver?
    Revis is a good tackler. I think it is a bit of a stretch to call him the bast tackler on the team.

  10. #310
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Who was the CB who completely whiffed on Tebow when he ran for the game-winning TD two years ago in Denver?
    The only things I recall about that play is that Eric Smith was blitzing from the outside and failed to set the edge and Cro was in the Endzone with a WR and did not seem to even see Tebow until he crossed the goal line.

  11. #311
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Revis is a good tackler. I think it is a bit of a stretch to call him the bast tackler on the team.
    I wouldn't call any Jet defender the "best" tacker on the team, but even if I did from what I saw in 2012, the bar is not set very high.

  12. #312
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,238
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Who was the CB who completely whiffed on Tebow when he ran for the game-winning TD two years ago in Denver?
    Eric Smith; however, on one of the previous plays Tebow did an end around and ran past Revis for a first down. It was one of the few times he completely missed and disappointed on a tackle.

  13. #313
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    This is off topic but Dolan lost his leverage when Melo said that he would like to be traded to the Nets if the Knicks couldn't work out a deal with the Nuggets. That's why Dolan stepped in and gave 3/4ths of the team away to the Nuggets for Melo and Chauncey, overruling Donnie Walsh's better judgement (at the time).
    Yes, agreed (and sorry to bring it off topic). It was due to the CBA changing and Melo wanted a max deal that needed to be signed the same year, but I still truly believe the threat of Melo resigning w/ the Nets was a bluff and Walsh knew this. I'm happy he is on the Knicks, but I just thought it was completely mishandled by the owner.

    My point of the post is really that Woody step back and allow Idzik to do his thing here, whatever the outcome. If Revis is traded I want to absolutely pillage another FO and if he stays, I hope it's within reason (which I doubt).

  14. #314
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Who was the CB who completely whiffed on Tebow when he ran for the game-winning TD two years ago in Denver?
    One play is a career?

    So if Brady throws one pick in a final drive of a playoff game hes an INT machine?

    Only an idiot would argue that Revis is a poor tackler or avoids contact.

  15. #315
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,357
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Eric Smith; however, on one of the previous plays Tebow did an end around and ran past Revis for a first down. It was one of the few times he completely missed and disappointed on a tackle.
    Exactly. That's the only example people can ever cite as evidence of Revis being a bad tackler. He misjudged a tackle attempt...it happens. Doesn't alter the fact that, generally speaking, Revis is a good tackler and, for a CB, an excellent tackler.

  16. #316
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    One play is a career?

    So if Brady throws one pick in a final drive of a playoff game hes an INT machine?

    Only an idiot would argue that Revis is a poor tackler or avoids contact.
    Revis. Is a complete player. A cover corner who is tough, hits and equal to his cover skills can tackle like a linebacker.

    he is a beast.......

  17. #317
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    One play is a career?

    So if Brady throws one pick in a final drive of a playoff game hes an INT machine?

    Only an idiot would argue that Revis is a poor tackler or avoids contact.
    Who the hell said Revis is a poor tackler?

    He's probably one of the best tacklers of any CB in the NFL.

  18. #318
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,605
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Who the hell said Revis is a poor tackler?

    He's probably one of the best tacklers of any CB in the NFL.
    THE BEST.....

  19. #319
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,238
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Exactly. That's the only example people can ever cite as evidence of Revis being a bad tackler. He misjudged a tackle attempt...it happens. Doesn't alter the fact that, generally speaking, Revis is a good tackler and, for a CB, an excellent tackler.
    It was similar to the perfect pass Tom Brady threw to Randy Moss for a TD with Revis all over him. 97% of the time Revis wins.

  20. #320
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Who the hell said Revis is a poor tackler?

    He's probably one of the best tacklers of any CB in the NFL.
    You, when you insinuated that he whiffed on Tebows run.....
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 01-28-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us