Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Gold rush forming' for possible Revis trade

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    They got 2 guys that should have made the probowl already in Sherman and Browner and very good back ups in Lane and Maxwell. All 4 fo those guys together don't make 2mill. Sherman would have made all-pro this year.
    No Seattle would not make that deal, not in a million years

Trade the best under 25 corner in the league making 500,000 a year, take a 4 mill cap hit for trading Flynn, a 2nd rd pick and a 4th rd pick for the best corner in the game who is 28 and wants (apparently) 15 mill a year till he is 34.

This has seattle paying 19 mill next year to upgraded from Sherman to Revis and needing to spend another 2 mill to get a B/u that will probably be a downgrade from Flynn.
    Just throwing it out there since the OP story said Seattle was one of the interested teams. I can not explain the precise reasons why Seattle would be interested other than to surmise Revis is viewed as "unique" in is skill and ability to play CB.

Personally, I would not be interested if I was Seattle. IMO, they should look to find a game changer at WR to pair with Wilson, an eventual successor to Lynch at RB, and an upgrade at OLB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets View Post
    Wouldn't this be why all interested teams would make a trade offer? Every knew we would cut Stanton but Indy still gave us a conditional pick.
    Because The jets could have held on to him and probably should have. If Frisco holds on to Smith, they won't have any money for Goldson, Sapogoa, Francous or Delanie Walker.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Just throwing it out there since the OP story said Seattle was one of the interested teams. I can not explain the precise reasons why Seattle would be interested other than to surmise Revis is viewed as "unique" in is skill and ability to play CB.

Personally, I would not be interested if I was Seattle. IMO, they should look to find a game changer at WR to pair with Wilson, an eventual successor to Lynch at RB, and an upgrade at OLB.
    Fine, I just can't see why the team with the best secondary in the league would ever tamper with it.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i like the idea of getting a first rounder and a proven, young starter, who doesn't even have to be a star. could be a RT, or a good G, or an olb.
    That sounds good, or RB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I'd prefer a QB who isn't playing it safe because he has no ability to take over a game. We aren't winning with Alex Smith. That guy is the epitome of "Play Not To Lose". Yeah, no thanks.
    He won a shootout with Drew Brees in the playoffs, needed his arm and his legs to come back twice in the 4th quarter and lead his team to victory. If that isn't playing to win, I don't know what is. No offense, but you talk out of your ass a lot on here. Smith is a good player, he might not have a cannon, but the fact that you compare him to Sanchez shows me you're out of your element in this discussion.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    He won a shootout with Drew Brees in the playoffs, needed his arm and his legs to come back twice in the 4th quarter and lead his team to victory. If that isn't playing to win, I don't know what is. No offense, but you talk out of your ass a lot on here. Smith is a good player, he might not have a cannon, but the fact that you compare him to Sanchez shows me you're out of your element in this discussion.
    As regard the bolded statement, name specifics or STFU.

I said Mark Sanchez scored 26 TDs and ran in 6 more in 2011. That's what Alex Smith was on pace for.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Of course no team is giving up a 1st round pick for Smith.

But you're telling me that someone like Arizona, Kansas City, Buffalo, Jacksonville or us wouldn't give up a 3rd or 4th round pick for him?
    He's a starting QB. Tim Tebow went for a 4th rounder. He should get at least a 2nd and some lower round picks. Starting QBs have significantly higher value than people realize when it comes to draft picks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Name specifics or STFU.
    This thread ia a prime example. Bashing the Jets pass D this past season was talking out of your ass. Bashing Alex Smith blindly, saying he plays not to lose, was talking out of your ass. Do you really need me to search your posting history for more?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Trade their O Line for our O Line.

Trade Vernon Davis for Dustin (My hamstring!!) Keller.

Trade Crabtree and Moss for... Kerley and someone?

Trade their D that has an actual pass rush for ours.

Frank Gore for Green.

70% becomes 50% real quick.
    no it becomes 60% like in 2010 when the 9ers were 6-10 the year after they were 8-8. It is not the 50% that sanchez had it was the amount of turnovers

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This thread ia a prime example. Bashing the Jets pass D this past season was talking out of your ass. Bashing Alex Smith blindly, saying he plays not to lose, was talking out of your ass. Do you really need me to search your posting history for more?
    No it isn't. The Jets Defense was a paper tiger. But that's my opinion and I used statistics to back up my reasoning.

And Alex Smith is a loser.

I don't give a sh!t about your opinion of me so feel free to GFY. I actually think your posts on this board are ridiculous and I always skip them. That's also my opinion.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    no it becomes 60% like in 2010 when the 9ers were 6-10 the year after they were 8-8. It is not the 50% that sanchez had it was the amount of turnovers
    Not to mention when he said "trade their D" for ours as part of his reasoning. Our D was #1 and #3 in 2009 and 2010, respectively, and Sanchez completed 54% and 56% of his passes. He also had a solid WR corps those seasons and a rushing attack that always left him in 2nd and 3rd and manageable situations

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, I'm the one talking out of my ass?!

Lets trade Revis for Alex Smith.

Please.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No it isn't. The Jets Defense was a paper tiger. But that's my opinion and I used statistics to back up my reasoning.

I don't give a sh!t about your opinion of me so feel free to GFY. I actually think your posts on this board are ridiculous and I always skip them. That's also my opinion.
    Revis played 6 quarters this season (Bills game, 1st half against Miami). During those 6 quarters, the Jets run D was absolutely annihilated by the Bills and Dolphins. The rush D issues had little to do with Revis. Our pass D, however, forced some absolutely miserable games out of opposing QBs all season, including after Revis's injury. It was ranked highly because it stopped the pass well. Our turnover machine QB and inability to stay on the field on offense eventually forced our D to cave several times after good starts though.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wana get Glennon and build around him.Screw Smith and this is not a win now team.This team is a 5 year rebuild job.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like

Give that Defensive system an O to work with, and for them and we in bidness.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis played 6 quarters this season (Bills game, 1st half against Miami). During those 6 quarters, the Jets run D was absolutely annihilated by the Bills and Dolphins. The rush D issues had little to do with Revis. Our pass D, however, forced some absolutely miserable games out of opposing QBs all season, including after Revis's injury. It was ranked highly because it stopped the pass well. Our turnover machine QB and inability to stay on the field on offense eventually forced our D to cave several times after good starts though.
    You forgot to mention those absolutely miserable games came from absolutely miserable QBs... if you can even call them that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, I'm the one talking out of my ass?!

Lets trade Revis for Alex Smith.

Please.

For Smith and 1st rounder, OK. Don't put words in my mouth, I never said straight up. Name the starting CBs on the two SB teams. None are good. The Ravens lost their best CB for the season midseason. The Niners have average corners at best. The two other teams in the conference championship games had dreadful secondaries. They all had good QBs though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You forgot to mention those absolutely miserable games came from absolutely miserable QBs... if you can even call them that.
    Luck, Smith, and Schaub are not absolutely miserable QBs. Neither is Wilson, and he handed us 7 points early and was held under 200 yards. Brady had a very modest game in NE against us. Bradford bombed against us (even though he played well against the 49ers a couple times). The only great QB games we allowed were to Brady in our house and Roethlisberger in Pitt. Oh well, we're the worst i guess

Pats and Falcons would have traded our pass D this season, minus Revis, for theirs in a heartbeat. They'd both be in the SB right now if they had had it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Give that Defensive system an O to work with, and for them and we in bidness.
    I agree. But what the hell is the point to trading Revis?

That's my point the whole time. Cromartie's contract is worse than the potential contract Revis would sign for sheer fact that Cromartie isn't worth his money, especially on our team. We don't need him. He's healthy and is coming off a pro bowl season. He has trade value.

Revis shouldn't be traded. And trading him is certainly not going to fix our offensive problems. That's the joke around here apparently... some think that trading Revis = having a better offense. I like that we actually have a real OC for the first time in a decade on our staff. That will help the offense. Fact is we aren't getting anyone who will make a difference with the pick we'll get from Revis. In the meantime we weaken our pass defense and lose a HOF player. Sorry, it's a bad idea. It's even more atrocious when you attempt to get Alex Smith in the deal. The fact that anyone thinks Alex Smith will make this team a winner is laughable. I'd rather ride out with Sanchez than trade Revis for Smith. That's a joke.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    The reason why a team would try to trade for Smith instead of waiting for him to become a FA is simple. It's b/c when he hits FA there is no guarantee that any particular team will be able to sign him. So you make a trade offer in order to guarantee that he will be on your team if the 49ers take the deal. If you're willing to sign him as a FA then you're willing to make a deal for him and then extend his contract. He's not going to command a 1st round pick, more likely 4th-7th so you're not risking a whole lot by making a trade. Letting him go to FA only lessens your chance of obtaining him and you could possibly wind up paying more for him monetarily if 3 or 4 additional teams are bidding for his services. It makes more sense to attempt to trade for him if you want to bring him in as your starter.
    Except Smith really controls where he goes then. Without agreeing to a restructure a team is not going to trade for him. It is in Smith's best interest to become a free agent and go where he wants and get as much as he can. If a team is going to have to pay market value anyway, there really is no sense in giving away a pick to do so.