Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Now Ian O'Connor rips the Jets...when is enough enough??

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    O'Connor is half right.

What he fails to grasp is Revis' role in all of this. Revis is not going to give the Jets any breaks and the Jets have a lot of holes to fill with very little cap room. They are in a very tough spot. You can't keep everyone. Every team has to make these hard decisions. It is the nature of the NFL.

But he is right about Woody. Rex and Sanchez both should be gone. Idzik has his work cut out for him. The next five years of this franchise are in his hands, even if he isn't here for all of them.
    I doubt that he doesn't grasp the Jets situation at all. I think he's like a lot of these writers who write to play devils advocate. He can write the piece either way and he choose to write it this way ( maybe his boss told him to write it). Who knows.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFreak89 View Post
    O'Connor is the least biased writer of them all, if he is saying this it means something.

I really don't understand why people are so confused. It is damn near impossible to build a consistently Super Bowl worthy team without having a STRING of good drafts put together.

The last few years, the Jets have not been able to put together a string of good drafts.

In order to compensate for this, the Jets turned to FA signings to go for it all. The problem with that strategy is that it is very short term because the team operates under a salary cap.

The Jets went for it all from 2009-2012. We did not succeed. If Mark Sanchez would have turned into a franchise QB we MAY have been able to sustain some semblance of success. That didn't happen.

Now it is time to pay the piper. 2013-2014 will be correction years for going for it all in 2009-2012 and hopefully going forward we can string together a few good drafts to get us back on the right track.
    There's much truth in what you're saying. In the end, Tannenbaum lost his job due to one thing really: Mark Sanchez. The failure of Sanchez to evolve into a decent QB, much less a franchise QB was the fatal card that brought the house down. I think what's interesting (in the Chinese sense) is that the organization appears to be sticking with Sanchez for one more year in some desperate hope that he becomes average and legitimizes their financial speculation on him. No offense can be built without the QB as the axis point. When you start scrambling to compensate your QB, your offense is pretty much doomed (even an Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson can't save you). So your view of the Jets' chances in 2013 are contingent on your view of Mark Sanchez's potential or lack thereof. Which is pretty much where we were this time last year, sad to say.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Do the Jets have an Andrew Luck or RGIII on their roster?
    Yes they do.............

And the people shall call him SANCHEZ!!!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Yes they do.............

And the people shall call him SANCHEZ ...The "Boy Blunder"!!!!!
    Fixed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    That's why I don't think this team is in dire straights.

It's not crazy to think we will be competitive next year...our defense alone will keep us in games

I hope we don't trade Revis. If other teams can afford him, I think we'll find a way
    this isdick guy wants to make a name for himself and rebuilding is the key. you can be sure he is rebuilding. i wouldnt be surprised if next year is rex's last

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    There's much truth in what you're saying. In the end, Tannenbaum lost his job due to one thing really: Mark Sanchez. The failure of Sanchez to evolve into a decent QB, much less a franchise QB was the fatal card that brought the house down. I think what's interesting (in the Chinese sense) is that the organization appears to be sticking with Sanchez for one more year in some desperate hope that he becomes average and legitimizes their financial speculation on him. No offense can be built without the QB as the axis point. When you start scrambling to compensate your QB, your offense is pretty much doomed (even an Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson can't save you). So your view of the Jets' chances in 2013 are contingent on your view of Mark Sanchez's potential or lack thereof. Which is pretty much where we were this time last year, sad to say.
    The organization "appears" to be sticking with Sanchez because at this point in time (1/13), there is no real alternative. Perhaps when FA starts, the Jets will go after a Matt Moore or someone of that nature. And, after that, perhaps a high(er) end draft choice. And even if those are possibilities it may still be difficult (or effectively impossible) to rid the team of Sanchez.

So, its not really a voluntary choice at this point. At least, anymore voluntary than a guy with a tumor who has an upcoming appointment with a doctor to determine what to do with it.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have not read the newspapers in ages so I do not get riled up when some yahoo behind a desk writes about the Jets....this si my take: WHO CARES? Some of you act as if these yahoos actually have a bearing on what the Jets do....guess what? They don't! LOL!!!

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...eds-new-island

What a professional journalist...enough of these clowns.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Um how do you know that the Jets will not have a competent QB under center in 2013? If you already know that the 2013 season is a wash then you may as well not even watch the games. To assume that a team cannot turn it around in todays NFL is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    LOL...the Jets are turning over more than half their starting line up, have no legitimate QB and are hindered by a tough cap situation. If that isnt rebuilding, I dont know what is. I would guarantee Idzik is looking at this as a rebuilding year, why else would they be considering trading Revis?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why were the Patriots shut out in the second half vs the Ravens??? LOL

This is football and it can be turned around in a year....the Jets are coming off a 6-10 season and will have major changes...to just come here and say that they will be crap in 2013 is adsurd....none of you knows that.

How many of the 22 Jets starters on offense and defense will be different next year?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The colts were supposed to be rebuilding last year and they made the playoffs....and please...it was more than Andrew Luck why they made the playoffs...he was the main reason, but it was more than him. It truly is amazing how many people here have already given up on 2013...lol I guess none of you will be watching....I sure as heck would not if I flat out felt we will be cellar dwellars after coming off a 6-10 season

Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    this isdick guy wants to make a name for himself and rebuilding is the key. you can be sure he is rebuilding. i wouldnt be surprised if next year is rex's last

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry. Not buying the media bull****. The media can't look past next week. They have no concept I accepting nor a desire to report on a long term rebuild. Doesn't sell papers. Fact is the Jets cannot afford to pay a CB big money when they need so many pieces. Woody may have seen the mistakes. Maybe not. Time will tell, not some media as swipe trying to sell papers

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    You make some good points. I'm not sure that Tanny lost his job just because of Sanchez's failure to evolve, though. It could be because he traded up to draft Sanchez in an unremarkable QB draft year, or because he gave Sanchez that ridiculous new contract. Maybe Tanny was fired for failing to build an offensive roster that would allow "wunderkid" Sanchez to succeed.

Case in point: Ryan let McElroy start and play an entire game with 11 sacks resulting in a loss and a concussion. Maybe he did that to "prove" to Woody that the QB isn't the problem, it's the lack of offensive talent on the roster. "See, Boss Woody? No other QB could have won with this team - GMac is having a worse time than Sanchez."

That kinda makes sense out of some really senseless decisions Rex made this season. Why did he leave Mac in that entire game, risking injury, instead of pulling him at halftime for Sanchez or Tebow? I'm not saying that either one would've helped win the game - but if they did it would be harder for Rex to blame Tanny for the lack of talent on the offense. If Mark won it would just be chalked up to his inconsistent level of play. If Tebow won it would have been because of some kind of fluke.

Cheesus Chhhhrriist -- I'm not a conspiracy theorist, folks - Just trying to find some logical reason for the cray-cray decisions made this past season. Can anyone? Please, offer up any and all suggestions, because call me a pessimist if you want, it seems as though Rex and Woody are still on the Sanchez train.

But to get back to the OP, the media crap is crazy as h*ll everywhere but particularly up there! That kind of sensationalism journalism used to be called "yellow journalism" - reporters made up anonymous "sources" to get sensational headlines and sell papers. After the early 1900s that type of journalism was spurned for "investigative" journalism. I can't figure out exactly when the majority of the media quit investigating and finding real scoops. Now they "investigate" by reading a press release, using other reporters as their sources, and believing all tweets big and small.

I hardly ever listen to the news on TV anymore because everyone has their own slant. Audio soundbites are manipulated to make an innocuous comment into something awful just to give the 24-hour networks something to talk about. They ruin people's lives, and when their reporting turns out to be bogus you never hear about it. So yeah, I try to get my news on the Internet. And yes, I am dating a French Model that I met on the Internet. LOLZ

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    They are right.

The Jets are playing you for a fool, not the media.

SAR I
    Take a hike. PM somebody that might care.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    How many of the 22 Jets starters on offense and defense will be different next year?
    LOL,so we suck but changing half those starters that currently suck means we will still suck even more?if we're so bad now in your view then wouldn't you want half those starters gone(oh let me guess it'll only be the good players we lose).....contradiction,much?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    O'Connor like so many others has a transparent agenda, bash the Jets
    about the "possible" trade and hopefully Revis and his people will become
    their "inside sources"
    Dead on !

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    This writer has a Sunday morning show on ESPN radio and goes up against Mike and his football show. I hate Mike so I figured I would try O'Connnor. What an arrogant, self righteous douche bag. And he spends half the show talking about the Knicks and Nets, on a Football Sunday!!!!!!! BTW, he has won awards for his writing. What a Jet hater.

http://www.ian-oconnor.com/authorbiopg.html

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFreak89 View Post
    O'Connor is the least biased writer of them all, if he is saying this it means something.

I really don't understand why people are so confused. It is damn near impossible to build a consistently Super Bowl worthy team without having a STRING of good drafts put together.

The last few years, the Jets have not been able to put together a string of good drafts.

In order to compensate for this, the Jets turned to FA signings to go for it all. The problem with that strategy is that it is very short term because the team operates under a salary cap.

The Jets went for it all from 2009-2012. We did not succeed. If Mark Sanchez would have turned into a franchise QB we MAY have been able to sustain some semblance of success. That didn't happen.

Now it is time to pay the piper. 2013-2014 will be correction years for going for it all in 2009-2012 and hopefully going forward we can string together a few good drafts to get us back on the right track.
    +1

People are right for saying Mark Sanchez cost Tannenbaum his job, but you can also point to the failed (and numerous) FA signings combined with the piss poor drafts.

Look no further than the SB contenders this year. Both teams are loaded with homegrown talent. Yeah, Boldin was picked up by the Ravens, and the 9ers picked up Smith and Rogers, but the stars on both sides are draft picks.

They use FA to supplement, not build a team. This is where Idzik has to differentiate himself.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...eds-new-island

What a professional journalist...enough of these clowns.
    It's gotten to the point with the media that if the article is not about a critical breakdown of player stats or the cap. I won't read it.

They can shorten these articles by just writing this. "The Jets are a horrible organization, Woody Johnson is a disgrace to mankind. Rex Ryan is a disgusting buffoon and the players are horrible disgraces to society, This organization has stolen team signals to win games, has implemented bounty systems geared towards injuring players and has players on the team with long rap sheets and has sold a stake of the team to Al Jazeera".

With some of these media members. There should be a disclaimer at the bottom of each "opinion" piece that says "I'm John Mara and I approve this message".