Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Would Trade Revis, and This is Why

JetsInsider.com Legend

I Would Trade Revis, and This is Why

1. The market for Revis, despite his injury, is clearly high. Multiple picks, including at least one first rounder, is actually a realistic option.

2. Revis is the best CB in the NFL IMO. With that said, he is still JUST a CB. He is a differencemaker, yes. He is not good enough, or vital enough a position, to win Championships.

3. The difference in quality between Revis & Sombody vs. Cromartie & Somebody is not a big enough dropoff to say no to a package of picks including first roudners and multiple-middle-round selections.

4. The Jets Need Talent more than they need a single, HOF'er Super Star right now. I'd take two starter-quality Linebacks and a starter quality WR over Revis right now.

5. Revis is a mercenary (not a criticism, a fact). He wants the most money possible, and has shown a constsnt desire to push his fiscal interests even between contracts. Put simply, he isn;t worth (for THIS Jets Team) the constsnt strain, pressure and ill feelings his constant demands for more create.

6. Revis gone opens alot of Cap Space down the road for rebuilding the depth and talent base, and sacrifices only one position, and even that, not horribly so (if we retain Cro or a Cro-level of play quality).

7. If Revis were a QB, and good as he was, you can't trade him. But he's not a QB. He's a CB. And Champ Baily (the Revis of a few years back) never won Denver any titles on his own.

8. Revis can be dealt to a bad or average team in the NFC, and will not trouble us but once every four years.

9. Revis is very possible to walk at the end of his Contract no matter what we do or offer. If so, we lose him for nothing.

10. What do we need more, multiple draft picks to rebuild the talent, or one single vastly expensive, always complaining about money Corner, who (as last year showed) is one single tweak or hit from missing large chunks of time and perhaps never coming back to the same level of quality?

I know it's hard to trade a guy who may just be a legitimate first ballot HOF-calibur player, and recognized "name".

But the Jets today need alot of help, on offense especially (WR, RB, QB, TE< O-line all have need) but also on Defense (LB especially, Safety too if we can't retain what we had, and the constant weakness at pass rush, and depth at CB regardless).

If the package of picks offered is right, if teh cap room opened up is substantial, I don't see how the Jets can not seriously consider making a deal.

Remember, it's about Titles in the end. Not "name" players.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    1. The market for Revis, despite his injury, is clearly high. Multiple picks, including at least one first rounder, is actually a realistic option.

2. Revis is the best CB in the NFL IMO. With that said, he is still JUST a CB. He is a differencemaker, yes. He is not good enough, or vital enough a position, to win Championships.

3. The difference in quality between Revis & Sombody vs. Cromartie & Somebody is not a big enough dropoff to say no to a package of picks including first roudners and multiple-middle-round selections.

4. The Jets Need Talent more than they need a single, HOF'er Super Star right now. I'd take two starter-quality Linebacks and a starter quality WR over Revis right now.

5. Revis is a mercenary (not a criticism, a fact). He wants the most money possible, and has shown a constsnt desire to push his fiscal interests even between contracts. Put simply, he isn;t worth (for THIS Jets Team) the constsnt strain, pressure and ill feelings his constant demands for more create.

6. Revis gone opens alot of Cap Space down the road for rebuilding the depth and talent base, and sacrifices only one position, and even that, not horribly so (if we retain Cro or a Cro-level of play quality).

7. If Revis were a QB, and good as he was, you can't trade him. But he's not a QB. He's a CB. And Champ Baily (the Revis of a few years back) never won Denver any titles on his own.

8. Revis can be dealt to a bad or average team in the NFC, and will not trouble us but once every four years.

9. Revis is very possible to walk at the end of his Contract no matter what we do or offer. If so, we lose him for nothing.

10. What do we need more, multiple draft picks to rebuild the talent, or one single vastly expensive, always complaining about money Corner, who (as last year showed) is one single tweak or hit from missing large chunks of time and perhaps never coming back to the same level of quality?

I know it's hard to trade a guy who may just be a legitimate first ballot HOF-calibur player, and recognized "name".

But the Jets today need alot of help, on offense especially (WR, RB, QB, TE< O-line all have need) but also on Defense (LB especially, Safety too if we can't retain what we had, and the constant weakness at pass rush, and depth at CB regardless).

If the package of picks offered is right, if teh cap room opened up is substantial, I don't see how the Jets can not seriously consider making a deal.

Couldnt agree more! Great post

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I wouldn't. Under any circumstance.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyers, Guns and Money View Post
    Couldnt agree more! Great post
    In case no one mentioned it LG&M, I think you deserve mention in the "Old Posters" thread, and I'd love to see you post more often old friend.

And no, not just cause you agree with me here.

Spot on Warfish! (even if I'm not in your top 10 anymore )

Veteran
    In case no one mentioned it LG&M, I think you deserve mention in the "Old Posters" thread, and I'd love to see you post more often old friend.

And no, not just cause you agree with me here.
    Its been a pretty fun thread to read

Veteran
    #2, ru serious? Just wondering since that opinion would go against the grain..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

All League
    i agree with everything you said, however i'm afraid that the jets will get multiple picks and get only 1 average player from it.

lets just say the jets get 3 picks for revis. what are the chances they will be 3 contributing players?

Quote Originally Posted by loluchka80 View Post
    i agree with everything you said, however i'm afraid that the jets will get multiple picks and get only 1 average player from it.

lets just say the jets get 3 picks for revis. what are the chances they will be 3 contributing players?
    If we are going to assume the Jets will just make poor decisions with all their draft picks going forward, then it really doesn't matter if they keep him or not.

Jets Insider VIP
    Agree 100% Fish.

At the end of the day he's a CB, and would have changed little to the outcome of this season had he been on the field.

A smart team pulls the trigger.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Postseason View Post
    If we are going to assume the Jets will just make poor decisions with all their draft picks going forward, then it really doesn't matter if they keep him or not.
    it's not necessarily assuming the jets will screw up 3 draft picks. its' just the nature of the NFL and the draft all together. it's seems like such a crap shoot.

revis is basically be guaranteed to be a superstar no matter where he goes. 2 or 3 college players coming into the nfl, from various rounds. chances are 1 is a good starter, 1 is a back up and 1 doesn't even make the team.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    I wouldn't. Under any circumstance.
    No homer would!

All Pro
    Here's the deal. It's not just Revis for a couple picks.

It's Revis for a couple picks + enough salary cap for 2 more good players. Would you rather have Revis and 2 JAG offensive guards, and a mediocre safety, or would you rather have a high draft pick, a real good safety, a real good guard, and a decent guard to help with the running attack? Because that's the deal.

Now, if Idzik is good, and gets good players, great. If Idzik blows the pick, and blows the players, then obviously, bad.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Here's the deal. It's not just Revis for a couple picks.

It's Revis for a couple picks + enough salary cap for 2 more good players. Would you rather have Revis and 2 JAG offensive guards, and a mediocre safety, or would you rather have a high draft pick, a real good safety, a real good guard, and a decent guard to help with the running attack? Because that's the deal.

Now, if Idzik is good, and gets good players, great. If Idzik blows the pick, and blows the players, then obviously, bad.
    thats true.

Good post.

Revis is a CB...not a QB. You can't pay him $15-18 franchise QB money.

I hope you're right that Jets could receive a 1st round + another pick. But even if Jets have to settle for a 2nd plus a #4 or 5...it's still better then getting a compensatory pick.

IMO...I just don't see the Jets and Revis finding a $$$ landing spot in negotiations, that both can live with. So In the end...I think the Jets will lose Revis. Therefore...Jets should get as much as they can now, while Revis is still under contract.

Veteran
    I'm opening up for this idea but how about trading Cromartie and getting a possible 2nd/3rd rounder and maybe a 5th.

Great post 'Fish.
    I agree 100%.

As much as I like Revis and would love to have him as a Jet for life we are now in a different era. The salary cap era. Keeping Revis is just too costly for a team with so many needs.

My only hope is that the Jets dont screw this up. They need to get multiple picks and hit on the picks

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Great post Fish! It's just bad timing that's all. If the Jets weren't so far away from contending again we wouldnt be talking about this. Can we surprise and be a good team next year? Sure! The year after? Sure! But reality is, this team needs a lot. And trading Revis speeds up the process of getting us back to the top in a few years. And then in 3 years if CB is a problem position for us, we can make the one move to put us over the top. Right now this seems like the only logical choice. We knew it was coming and its obvious that the Jets feel the same.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

+1 Give the Fish a filet(Mignon)

Hall Of Fame

To me that is as big a reason to trade Revis as any. If he didnt have his history of hold outs and unhappiness with his contracts then I might feel a little different. You just know that two years after signing his new deal, we are going to hear he is unhappy again and the whole cycle starts again.