Thread: A Recipe for Success -2013

A Recipe for Success -2013

I think everyone is over-reacting to the current situation in Florham Park. Remember, things are RARELY as bad as they look when things are going bad and RARELY as good as they look when things are going well.

That said, there are also some major issues: like over-paying for a QB who had a horrendous season in 2012 and, based on past performance, isn't someone I'd bet on for "Comeback Player of the Year" in 2013.

Here's some major things I would do:

SALARY CAP: Our current situation is not great, but it's not horrendous either. Based on an anticipated 2013 Salary Cap of $121MM, we are $26MM over at appx $147MM.

BUT....

If we make the following cuts, we save $37.7MM: Jason Smith (potential re-sign), Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, Sione Pouha, Eric Smith, Tim Tebow, Aaron Berry, Edmund Gates, Dennis Landolt

So now we're almost $12MM under the cap without SIGNIFICANTLY compromising the quality of our roster. There are also a few high dollar contracts that can be renegotiated. Let's say that saves us another $10MM in 2013 cap hit.

So now we're $22MM under the cap with some holes to fill at QB, LB, OL, etc

Here's what I would suggest:

DRAFT: In the first round go OLB, either J Jones, M. Bingo, D. Moore, D. Jordan. One of them should be available. The Wild Card might be Chance Warmack, who sounds like the second coming of John Hannah. After that go for playmakers. I'd love to see a way for us to add both Tavon Austin and Kenjon Barner, but that might be tough. QB? The biggest mistake we could make is to REACH for a QB too early. I would take a look at Glennon, Wilson, Bray, the kid from Arizona and the kid from Miami of OH. Also look for good value in OL.

FREE AGENCY: PRIORITY ONE: Find a free agent QB who could compete for the starting job. Re-sign Landry + Bell. If we add one in the draft, better yet. Find good value O Lineman and LBs, but not much more.

Other than QB, I think this puts us in a position to compete. We'll have Revis (it would be SO SO STUPID to trade him in the prime of his career. See: John Riggins and Laverneus Coles!!!) and Cromartie, Landry + Jones in the secondary. A young, talented D-Line and hopefully a stud pass-rushing OLB from the draft. D. Harris and D. Davis would man the inside. Not a bad D.

The big wild card is QB. We put ourselves in this position by over-extending Sanchez's contract. Hopefully, we'll have two quality QBs to compete with him. Remember: Testaverde wasn't even on the roster when the season began in 98.

Whaddaya all think?

We need better OL and QB play, and the team will be in the playoff hunt.

Rookie
    OL, OL, OL. Don't care if its through the draft or FA, we need to upgrade our OL. Trenches win the games in the NFL.

Solid post OP. I think alot of what you suggest is wishful thinking but I think there is a way around the jets cap woes. We really need to focus on finding a veteran QB to battle Sanchez next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MysticalJet View Post
    OL, OL, OL. Don't care if its through the draft or FA, we need to upgrade our OL. Trenches win the games in the NFL.
    Agree, a new RT and a guard would really help our offense. We were a lot better when we had Faneca and Damien Woody

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RChiocchi View Post
    I think everyone is over-reacting to the current situation in Florham Park. Remember, things are RARELY as bad as they look when things are going bad and RARELY as good as they look when things are going well.

That said, there are also some major issues: like over-paying for a QB who had a horrendous season in 2012 and, based on past performance, isn't someone I'd bet on for "Comeback Player of the Year" in 2013.

Here's some major things I would do:

SALARY CAP: Our current situation is not great, but it's not horrendous either. Based on an anticipated 2013 Salary Cap of $121MM, we are $26MM over at appx $147MM.

BUT....

If we make the following cuts, we save $37.7MM: Jason Smith (potential re-sign), Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, Sione Pouha, Eric Smith, Tim Tebow, Aaron Berry, Edmund Gates, Dennis Landolt

So now we're almost $12MM under the cap without SIGNIFICANTLY compromising the quality of our roster. There are also a few high dollar contracts that can be renegotiated. Let's say that saves us another $10MM in 2013 cap hit.

So now we're $22MM under the cap with some holes to fill at QB, LB, OL, etc

Here's what I would suggest:

DRAFT: In the first round go OLB, either J Jones, M. Bingo, D. Moore, D. Jordan. One of them should be available. The Wild Card might be Chance Warmack, who sounds like the second coming of John Hannah. After that go for playmakers. I'd love to see a way for us to add both Tavon Austin and Kenjon Barner, but that might be tough. QB? The biggest mistake we could make is to REACH for a QB too early. I would take a look at Glennon, Wilson, Bray, the kid from Arizona and the kid from Miami of OH. Also look for good value in OL.

FREE AGENCY: PRIORITY ONE: Find a free agent QB who could compete for the starting job. Re-sign Landry + Bell. If we add one in the draft, better yet. Find good value O Lineman and LBs, but not much more.

Other than QB, I think this puts us in a position to compete. We'll have Revis (it would be SO SO STUPID to trade him in the prime of his career. See: John Riggins and Laverneus Coles!!!) and Cromartie, Landry + Jones in the secondary. A young, talented D-Line and hopefully a stud pass-rushing OLB from the draft. D. Harris and D. Davis would man the inside. Not a bad D.

The big wild card is QB. We put ourselves in this position by over-extending Sanchez's contract. Hopefully, we'll have two quality QBs to compete with him. Remember: Testaverde wasn't even on the roster when the season began in 98.

Whaddaya all think?
    IMO, you could have all the talent in the world offensively and defensively, but with Sanchez leading the team, its all for nothing.

really, its very depressing, but as a jets fan, i have 0 confidence in this team being anywhere near decent as long as Sanchez is the QB. And if he is NOT the QB, it is a colossal waste of money.

Either way, 2013 is not looking good, however, there is a chance to build pieces of need in anticipation of Mark being gone in 2014.

We have to wait.

Unfortunately, there are no franchise QBs in this draft. Over-reach for one and it'll most likely come back to haunt us. Best we can do is bring in a veteran who can compete and a 2-4th Round Rookie and let them all battle it out while building up the rest of the offensive personnel.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Things are bad if Sanchez does a 360, if he doesn't things are really bad.