Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some say Revis won't be the same player after his ACL injury...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Some say Revis won't be the same player after his ACL injury...

You guys realize that the CB you want to replace Darrelle's production is Antonio Cromartie? You realize that he also tore his ACL?

Yeah but it's Revis, one of the hardest working players in the NFL won't recover. Adrian Peterson? He's just a freak, Revis can't do that because Revis isn't an athletic freak like Peterson... Wrong! Jamaal Charles? Exception to the rule! Revis is done.

Trade him for a 1st round draft pick to a team picking at the end of the round so we would essentially be getting what would amount to a 2nd round pick in the worst draft in recent memory. Loaded with defensive role players. The reason we are trading Revis is to rebuild the offense through the draft... a draft that has no offensive talent outside of a guy that we'll probably be draft regardless. That makes sense.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you want him to play next season on an 8-8 team and then leave for nothing?

Or are you suggesting we pay him 15mil for each of the next 5 seasons?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    #1 reason you know this is a dumb decision is because it's the Jets - specifically their know-nothing owner - who are considering doing it.

This would be the latest, and the biggest, in a long history of stupid football decisions by the Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cro was a teenager when he tore his and Cro is a genetic freak. Not surprising he healed well.

There are no guarantees with recovery.

The issue for me isnt the knee. The issue for me is that it is unlikely we keep him after 2013. And if that is the case I would rather ket him go a year early and get better compensation for him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Cro was a teenager when he tore his and Cro is a genetic freak. Not surprising he healed well.

The issue for me isnt the knee. The issue for me is that it is unlikely we keep him after 2013. And if that is the case I would rather ket him go a year early and get better compensation for him.
    Yup. We are going to suck next year anyway so no point in keeping him just to have him walk. If a "gold rush" is forming then you take it. Why would anyone want to pay a CB so much money when we already have another good corner, and no offense, LBs, etc?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    But Revis, who has unprecedented athletic ability, isn't a genetic freak?

I'm curious, what makes Cromartie a genetic freak? And why doesn't Revis possess this but every other athlete that recently has torn his ACL and recovered is?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Exactly, either way there are pros and cons. If we get a 1st rounder and a good young starter on Offense then we take it before he walks in 2014 for big bucks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its not a foregone conclusion that he recovers, just look at Terrell Thomas
    of the Midgets. He's missed two years because his ACL has failed, not
    everyone is Adrian Peterson

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    But Revis, who has unprecedented athletic ability, isn't a genetic freak?

I'm curious, what makes Cromartie a genetic freak? And why doesn't Revis possess this but every other athlete that recently has torn his ACL and recovered is?
    We aren't trading Revis because we don't think he'll recover. We're trading him to help rebuild one of the weakest rosters in the NFL. And we are weak in many of the key positions. QB, RB, OLB, TE, OL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's because YOU DON'T TRADE A PLAYER LIKE REVIS. EVER!

I'd rather lose and watch the greatness that is Darrelle Revis than trade him away for a draft pick.... a pick mind you in one of the worst draft classes this decade.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    We aren't trading Revis because we don't think he will recover. We are trading him to help rebuild one of the weakest rosters in the NFL. And we are weak in many of the key positions. QB, RB, OLB, TE, OL.
    So we help rebuild one of the weakest rosters by adding one additional player from one of the weakest draft classes in recent memory?

That sounds like a winning formula to me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Do you want him to play next season on an 8-8 team and then leave for nothing?

Or are you suggesting we pay him 15mil for each of the next 5 seasons?
    I much rather pay Revis 15 million than 9 million to Cromartie...

Southside is absolutely right. Beware trading HOF players in a desperate situation...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather lose and watch the greatness that is Darrelle Revis

If this is your take then no reason talking about it.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather lose and watch the greatness that is Darrelle Revis than trade him away for a draft pick.... a pick mind you in one of the worst draft classes this decade.
    First off, we are probably talking multiple draft picks. Why wait a year and in the end lose him for nothing? Fail to see the logic in that, particularly as we are NOT making a run this year with him. For a team void of talent and playmakers, we need as many of those draft picks as possible.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather put the team first and try to get a haul of picks/players instead of paying a corner QB money to watch the team suck. But hey, at least we get to watch a HoF corner while we go 6-10.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    So we help rebuild one of the weakest rosters by adding one additional player from one of the weakest draft classes in recent memory?

That sounds like a winning formula to me.
    The draft is weak up top. But lets not act like there aren't plenty of players who can help us in this draft. You stated you opinion. You'd rather lose and pay Revis. I'd rather build this roster back up the fastest we can and trading Revis would allow this process to begin.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    We all know what Revis will do. He will demand 15Mill+ a season for the duration of his potential new deal. Not to mention the injury hes coming back from. He doesnt care about winning, doesn't care about team work... Revis wants to get paid. So, they pay him and keep killing this teams cap and opportunity to revamp the roster or they change the direction this franchise has been going in.

Is Revis the best CB in the league? absolutely... hes going to be a hall of famer the way he takes number one receivers out of the game. He is a luxury though. His talent is huge but its still a luxury, not necessity. I know this because the Ravens and 49ers are about to play for a championship and Revis doesn't play for either one.

If he would work with the team on a reasonable contract that wouldn't bankrupt the roster that would be great but he wont. Instead he'll point to bad contracts handed to Sanchez and Holmes. That GM is gone. This new GM has an opportunity to set a new precedent and getting something for Revis now instead of absolutely nothing while he'll probably hold out next year... It just makes sense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah there is a reason to talk about it.

Do we really think that whatever players/picks we get in return for Revis will make the Jets win/loss record any different?

The solution isn't to trade the only guy on the team that actually is worth his money. The solution is to rid the team of bad contracts. Cromartie's is a bad contract, but lets keep him because we're in cap trouble.

If anything this is the perfect time to resign Revis long term. We will never have a better bargaining chip since he's coming off injury in the last year of his contract. Give him 5 years, 12M per.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plus Revis will hold us hostage at least two more times. Sell high!! Not this highest it could be, but there will be takers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, ok so putting the team first means trading our best player away?

You realize that there's nothing we can get from trading him, outside of a legitimate starting NFL QB that will 100% pan out, that will make us win more games?!

The only way you trade Revis is if he won't resign. End of discussion.