Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some say Revis won't be the same player after his ACL injury...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    That's because YOU DON'T TRADE A PLAYER LIKE REVIS. EVER!

I'd rather lose and watch the greatness that is Darrelle Revis than trade him away for a draft pick.... a pick mind you in one of the worst draft classes this decade.
    There's no discussing this with you when you actually made the above
    statement

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    There's no discussing this with you when you actually made the above
    statement
    Actually there is.

I said the only way you trade Revis is if he wont resign.

And what did I say in the main post? People are claiming he's a high risk for not being the same player. They stated that as a fact in this thread. Revis supposedly doesn't have the ability to come back yet all of the players that are coming back from this injury are freaks but Revis isn't one of those freaks... even though he has freak athletic ability. We'll be fine, we have Cromartie... haha, yeah and he tore his ACL too.

Giving no credit to modern science being the main reason people are rebounding to their peak ability after the injury, instead it's some voodoo genetics that allow everyone but Revis to return to form.

Logic. It doesn't exist.

And I'd love to know the exact players that you guys are targeting as replacement for Revis to help the Jets win. Go ahead, there's your discussion. Tell me who will help the Jets that we will get when we trade Revis? I'll be waiting. And when someone says Matt Flynn I'll laugh my ass off.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    I much rather pay Revis 15 million than 9 million to Cromartie...

Southside is absolutely right. Beware trading HOF players in a desperate situation...
    For the extra 6 mil per year which of these positions of need do you sacrifice for the next 5 years then? QB, OLB, RT, OG?

The cap problems force us to have to make some hard choices ... Spending that money at positions besides CB are what is best for our team long term

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    For the extra 6 mil per year which of these positions of need do you sacrifice for the next 5 years then? QB, OLB, RT, OG?

The cap problems force us to have to make some hard choices ... Spending that money at positions besides CB are what is best for our team long term
    Who said that the price is 15M a year?

He wants 50 cents more than the highest paid guy currently. That's been his stance. Champ Bailey was the highest paid CB last year at 11M.

I know Revis is a greedy bastard, but this "he wants 15-20M a season" talk has always been ridiculous.

Again, the only reason I'd trade him is if he refuses to re-sign a deal. You can't afford to lose him for nothing... that's for sure.

Trade him for a 1st round draft pick to a team picking at the end of the round so we would essentially be getting what would amount to a 2nd round pick in the worst draft in recent memory. Loaded with defensive role players. The reason we are trading Revis is to rebuild the offense through the draft... a draft that has no offensive talent outside of a guy that we'll probably be draft regardless. That makes sense.
    and your not making much sense either....you seem to think that you are Nostradamus predicting that every player in this draft will be unworthy...please!

Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    and your not making much sense either....you seem to think that you are Nostradamus predicting that every player in this draft will be unworthy...please!
    I'm saying the probability and prognosis by draft experts says that this is a bad draft class. I'm sure someone is going to come out of no where. What I also said was tell me who you are going to replace Revis with that's going to help the Jets win, since that's what everyone is concerned about.

So far no one wants to answer that because they have no idea.

I'm saying the probability and prognosis by draft experts says that this is a bad draft class. I'm sure someone is going to come out of no where. What I also said was tell me who you are going to replace Revis with that's going to help the Jets win, since that's what everyone is concerned about.

So far no one wants to answer that because they have no idea.
    There is multiple options. I am not saying that I am in favor for trading him...not at all...I am just saying that if the right package comes along like a 1st a 2nd and a proven player then i would def have to contemplate it. The guy is coming off major knee surgery and we need to fix out cap issues.

Revis' play won't diminish from injury, rather from being on a team with a system that doesn't suit him. All signs point to him playing well.

Jets Insider VIP
    That's because YOU DON'T TRADE A PLAYER LIKE REVIS. EVER!

I'd rather lose and watch the greatness that is Darrelle Revis than trade him away for a draft pick.... a pick mind you in one of the worst draft classes this decade.
    did you make a big investment in Revis Jersey's??

So you are saying You're a Revis Fan and not a Jets fan

Quote Originally Posted by dmitexxi View Post
    did you make a big investment in Revis Jersey's??

So you are saying You're a Revis Fan and not a Jets fan
    I don't own a Revis jersey.

That said, I'm a fan of keeping our best player and future HOF. Yes. Especially when we're talking about replacing him with a low 1st round draft pick in a weak draft, especially offensively.

HOWEVER, if Revis is unwilling to sign a reasonable contract then I'd trade him because you can't afford to lose him for nothing. His value is at 12M dollars per season. I don't think that's unreasonable and if it's just about the cap problems, well I hope you guys realize that David Harris made 12M this year. And Cromartie's contract is outrageous for a #2 CB. Get Revis to sign a new deal, trade Cromartie and get a 1st round pick for him.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I don't own a Revis jersey.

That said, I'm a fan of keeping our best player and future HOF. Yes. Especially when we're talking about replacing him with a low 1st round draft pick in a weak draft, especially offensively.

HOWEVER, if Revis is unwilling to sign a reasonable contract then I'd trade him because you can't afford to lose him for nothing. His value is at 12M dollars per season. I don't think that's unreasonable and if it's just about the cap problems, well I hope you guys realize that David Harris made 12M this year. And Cromartie's contract is outrageous for a #2 CB. Get Revis to sign a new deal, trade Cromartie and get a 1st round pick for him.
    Here is what you're missing. There is no reason for Revis so sign for 12 mil a year. Thats easy money that any team will give him. If that's the case he might as well just test the market and go to the highest bidder. If Revis would resign with us during this season we would have to blow him away with a sick offer that he feels nobody will top on the open market. We're not doing that because it would take 80-100 million.

So baiscally unless we break the bank, Revis is testing the market. Which it turn runs us the big risk of losing him for nada... It's time to play it safe and trade him for a few peices.

Sucks but it's looking like this is the smartest way at this point given our circumstances with the cap and talent.

All Pro
    Who said that the price is 15M a year?

He wants 50 cents more than the highest paid guy currently. That's been his stance. Champ Bailey was the highest paid CB last year at 11M.

I know Revis is a greedy bastard, but this "he wants 15-20M a season" talk has always been ridiculous.

Again, the only reason I'd trade him is if he refuses to re-sign a deal. You can't afford to lose him for nothing... that's for sure.
    Bingo. He wants to be the highest paid CB. Which is fair enough, as he is the best CB.

All this talk of $15M a year is a JI invention that, because it has been repeated often enough, somehow becomes an accepted truth.

Revis never said it. And he certainly never said he wants "franchise QB money" which, incidentally, is more like $20M than $12M these days.

The hate toward Revis is ridiculous. He wants to be paid, sure, but show me an elite athlete that doesn't.

And as for Revis "not being important", tell that to the NFL teams who fall over themselves in FA to pay vastly inferior players at the same position $10M a year. Or to all the teams apparently lining up to trade high picks for him.

Revis needs to be retained, and the truly overpaid players like Holmes, Sanchez and even Harris need to be looked at.

NYJETSCAP.COM

There are three angles we need to look at here. The first is the short term finances associated with both moves from a cap perspective. Both players have roster bonuses coming their way this season so the decision has to come quickly for both players. Cromartie’s bonus is due the 3rd day of free agency and Revis’ the fifth, so all assumptions are based on trades before the due date. If we look at the short term it’s a no brainer who goes. Trading Cromartie saves the Jets $8.25 million in cap space in 2013 while trading Revis results in a $3 million dollar cap loss for the Jets. Even from a PR perspective when certain reporters trample the dead money allocations one is $2.5 million while the other is $12 million. One looks genius while one makes the cap management look incompetent. Trade Cromartie now, get that money in here and earmark it to improve the team.
    Trading Revis costs us money... so what's the point of that helping the cap unless he won't sign a contract? The problem isn't Revis cap hit. It's that we can't franchise tag him. On the contrary, if the problem is that we need cap room to build a better team, well trading Cromartie is the answer to that since we gain 8M in cap space and keep the better CB. You could essentially save 3M dollars and just use Cromartie's money to increase Revis' pay this season and be in a better position from a team and cap perspective.

That's my "team building" take on it. Besides the fact that David Harris is costing us a ridiculous amount of money next year too. So it's ok to have Harris making 13M next year but not Revis? I'm not sure what figure to believe, but cutting/trading Harris would either cost the Jets 500K or give them an additional 4M dollars. NYJETSCAP.com has two different figures on his contract for 2013. Mark Sanchez contract should be restructured and he'll probably do it just so he can choose the best opportunity for himself.

My point is that there are many other ways to get the Jets competitive again, even from a salary cap position, without losing their best player. For whatever reason people just want to get rid of Revis and they think we're going to end up with some good talent to replace him with. If we're lucky we end up with another Mo Wilkerson level of talent, which is a guy that can play but certainly doesn't have an impact on the game anywhere near Revis' level. On the other side we end up with another project WR/RB or we reach for a QB. Neither of those situations seem worth trading Revis for.

All Pro
    Haha, ok so putting the team first means trading our best player away?

You realize that there's nothing we can get from trading him, outside of a legitimate starting NFL QB that will 100% pan out, that will make us win more games?!

The only way you trade Revis is if he won't resign. End of discussion.

Not sure you know how message boards work....

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Bingo. He wants to be the highest paid CB. Which is fair enough, as he is the best CB.

All this talk of $15M a year is a JI invention that, because it has been repeated often enough, somehow becomes an accepted truth.

Revis never said it. And he certainly never said he wants "franchise QB money" which, incidentally, is more like $20M than $12M these days.

The hate toward Revis is ridiculous. He wants to be paid, sure, but show me an elite athlete that doesn't.

And as for Revis "not being important", tell that to the NFL teams who fall over themselves in FA to pay vastly inferior players at the same position $10M a year. Or to all the teams apparently lining up to trade high picks for him.

Revis needs to be retained, and the truly overpaid players like Holmes, Sanchez and even Harris need to be looked at.
    It's not just the yearly avg. He's going to want to become the highest paid defensive player in the league. Mario Williams just got 100 million with what? Like 40 or 50 million guaranteed.

Again, its not only the yearly avg. More importantly it's the quaranteed money he will want. And its going to be an easy 40-50 mil. And that's QB type guaranteed money. Marion Williams got it, how much did he help the Bills this year?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post

Exactly, if the reports are true that all these teams are drooling over the idea of us trading Revis then that should be an indicator of just how spoiled some of the Jets fans are when it comes to his level of play. You don't trade him, period unless he has made it known that he won't re-sign and I've never heard that from his camp at all. In fact he says he wants to stay in NY.

Now, as regards LockeJET's point of Revis testing the market and getting the highest value... yes and no. First, it's more risky for Revis to do that than it is for the Jets. If Revis doesn't come out playing with at his level this year he is then a FA and he's hurt his ability to even get 10M a year. On the contrary, if the Jets believe he will be back to his playing ability then they give him a fair deal, which is to make him the highest paid CB without him having to prove it in a contract year. Not only that but it's well known that he won't make anywhere near the non football money that he makes if he leaves NYC. He knows the value of being here and he won't get that going to some podunk town like Cleveland or Arizona... wherever he ends up going to a team that would be crazy to just offer up the deal people keep trying to say that Revis is after.

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    It's not just the yearly avg. He's going to want to become the highest paid defensive player in the league. Mario Williams just got 100 million with what? Like 40 or 50 million guaranteed.

Again, its not only the yearly avg. More importantly it's the quaranteed money he will want. And its going to be an easy 40-50 mil. And that's QB type guaranteed money. Marion Williams got it, how much did he help the Bills this year?
    First off, who said this? He didn't. The only people that said that TWO YEARS AGO were the NY media jackals and if you want to believe their bs lies then feel free to do that.

However, Revis did say he wants to be the best paid CB. He's not stupid. He knows he's not as valuable as the premiere pass rushers in the league. Positionally, he just isn't. But he is the best CB and he deserves to be paid that way. If the Jets are the ones that are putting these rumors out there then they are telling Revis and his agents that they want to get this deal done now or they will trade him. There's no way from a football perspective that they'd just trade him because they need to rebuild the offense... an offense that has issues that start and end at the QB position. And trading Revis isn't going to get that issue resolved. It's worth it to trade Cromartie in an attempt to get a backup QB that is ready to be the starter but is stuck behind a quality QB. But it's not likely. At least not in my opinion.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Knee surgery, really sucked back in the day. He should be ok, his is ACL only.

All Pro
    So you want to pay Revis an astronomical amount of money while we are missing a franchise QB, a pass rusher or 2, and weapons on offense?

Look I understand why Everyone is enamored with Revis. He's a once in a generation talent and he was a huge part of our run in 09-10. I am a big Revis fan, he's my fav player on the Jets and I own his jersey, but given our roster and cap situation the Jets need to be open minded about this. We don't have the money, nor is he worth the money he will be asking for. This is not a knock on Revis, but the CB position does not affect the game as much as a QB or a pass rusher can. He will WALK in free agency and we will not be compensated if we sit on our hand and do nothing now.

You want to see a future hall of famer, once in a generation talent.
    I want to see a TEAM that one day wins the SB.

Darelle Revis or no other CB for that matter, will EVER LEAD his team to the SB.