Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I think its time to pull this question out again

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Throw the Giants in there as part of the reason too.

They've won...and won a lot. They have quiet, respected (if goofy) leaders in Eli and Tom Coughlin.

The Jets of New York are like the Clippers were of LA....an afterthought.

Two things help change it. 1) Winning 2) Not making the news for bad reasons.

Number 2 isn't always the Jets fault as there clearly is an aggressive anti-Jet media bias both locally and nationally. But that bias doesn't emerge for no reason at all. It's been partly initiated by a boastful head coach and an organization that steps on its own feet fairly often.

JMHO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    The New York Jets are, right now, the most hated franchise in sports. By their own fans, by their own media, and by everybody else.

But why?

I mean look at it. The Jets finished 6-10 last year. There were 8 lesser accomplished teams than them. Yet those other teams feel like great success stories to where the Jets are concerned.

Why aren't the Jets the equivalent of the "loveable loser" Chicago Cubs or something like that?

Is it Rex alone? That doesn't seem possible that one man could drum up so much hatred without committing a crime.

It just doesn't make sense. Any ideas?
    See your post puts to the bed that Rex's talk deflects pressure from off the team. It doesn't.

Talking by definition puts pressure in you and raises the stakes which is fine and what I like so long as back it up and win. See when you don't back up the talk of winning a SB and talk about kicking behind and you get smacked around like yesterday's news. You get mocked like you should.

For some to come out and complain about like why is his happening is insanity!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then why were people not saying this the first 2 seasons?? The last two BAD seasons were 8-8 and 6-10 which is a far cry from being the NFL doormat.......the fact is its nothing more than media overkill and buffoonery to get a story.....enough is enough....it got old long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    See your post puts to the bed that Rex's talk deflects pressure from off the team. It doesn't.

Talking by definition puts pressure in you and raises the stakes which is fine and what I like so long as back it up and win. See when you don't back up the talk of winning a SB and talk about kicking behind and you get smacked around like yesterday's news. You get mocked like you should.

For some to come out and complain about like why is his happening is insanity!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys all act like this has been going on forever. It hasn't. Under Mangini I specifically remember Cannizaro writing reports where he had little or nothing to say, followed by an apology for it because Mangini and co did not give out any information at all. We were never called a circus then. When Herm was here there was an open door policy and looord knows he was clownish, but still we were not called a circus by any means. Why?

Because none of those guys constantly puffed out their chests bloating about how good they were gonna be, how they were already the talk of the town over their cross town rivals (who only followed our act up with 2 SB wins), how we weren't going to kiss rings, how we were going to meet presidents. I can't fathom why there's two threads right now talking about how it's so bad with the media and "I just can't fathom why!?!?"

Really? Do you guys not realize the Jets are Scott Farkus by now? Do you not realize we have been acting like bullies and idiots, and we finally got our asses kicked by Ralphie? People love to see the loudmouth bullies fall. And when it happens they love to pile on and give it right back. Mike Francesa is the radio version of Rex Ryan. Loud, brash, insulting, bloviating pile of turd. Every one of us is DYING to find out he's getting rammed in the ass by one legged midgets in tutu's. DYING to! Why? Because we all love to see the bigmouth bully get knocked on his ass. Well guess what folks, Rex is on the mat fumbling for his mouthpiece and everyone is snapping pictures, pointing, and laughing at him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    They aren't the most hated franchise in sports. They aren't even the discussion. Outside of NYC people barely think about them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Jets haven't had a winning season in 3 years.
    I'll bite Tx; 2010 11 wins 5 losses, 2011 8-8, 2012 6-10

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Throw the Giants in there as part of the reason too.

They've won...and won a lot. They have quiet, respected (if goofy) leaders in Eli and Tom Coughlin.

JMHO.
    Look at the W-L from 2003 and they haven't done much better than us. They won a couple of Superbowls and that's the difference.

ie., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Giants_seasons

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I'll bite Tx; 2010 11 wins 5 losses, 2011 8-8, 2012 6-10
    Last year (1 year): 6-10

Year before (2 year): 8-8

2010 (3 year): 11-5

Thus, 3 years since haveing a winning record.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets are hated by their own fans? Talk about a foolish comment. This comes from an element of the fan base that thinks that if you do not endorse every single move the team makes as brilliant you do not like the team.

The fans who are critical of various elements of the team are actually bigger fans of the team than the happy happy joy fans that spout how great things are each year.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not hate. The Jets simply satisfy the human need to view what a disaster looks like . America is rubbernecking.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's true. But don't other media outlets like Dallas and Chicago do the same thing?
    I don't believe it's anything that approaches the collective craziness of the reporters in NYC.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The New York Jets are, right now, the most hated franchise in sports. By their own fans, by their own media, and by everybody else.

But why?

I mean look at it. The Jets finished 6-10 last year. There were 8 lesser accomplished teams than them. Yet those other teams feel like great success stories to where the Jets are concerned.

Why aren't the Jets the equivalent of the "loveable loser" Chicago Cubs or something like that?

Is it Rex alone? That doesn't seem possible that one man could drum up so much hatred without committing a crime.

It just doesn't make sense. Any ideas?
    LOL at thinking we're good enough or important enough to be the most hated franchise in sports. We're not even hated at all for the most part. Mostly looked down upon and laughed at when Rex opens his mouth and makes another punchless guarantee.

The Pats on the other hand are hated. The Lakers are hated. The Yankees are hated. Thw Cowboys used to be hated (although maybe still are because of Jerry). They also have a lot of success. Notice a correlation?
    Last edited by SlickBri481; 01-25-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone who says they can't root for the Jets anymore if Revis is traded can pack their bags even if he stays (and I hope he does). Tim Tebow (an overrated Jesus freak and Florida Gator with a retarded cult of fans) didn't stop me from rooting for the JETS (the team)- it's safe to say nothing will stop me from rooting for them; being embarrassed about the team is a given but actually not supporting them at the end of the day is totally different.

Seeing so many people threatening to go become a Vagiants fan and the fact that Tebone is still on the team makes me prouder to rock my Sanchez shirt- reverse psychology .

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    Then why were people not saying this the first 2 seasons?? The last two BAD seasons were 8-8 and 6-10 which is a far cry from being the NFL doormat.......the fact is its nothing more than media overkill and buffoonery to get a story.....enough is enough....it got old long ago.
    I was and I did say something. The warning was out there from the beginning with Rex. I love winning smack talk, my favorite example is Muhammad Ali!!!!

See Ali looked great winning, talking trash and predicting knockout rounds. But if he had been getting knocked out by say Joe Bugner a fighter who he fought early in his career he would have just looked silly. Talking doesn't make you look ridiculous unless you don't back it up which the Jets haven't done IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Jets haven't had a winning season in 3 years.
    you can count! ok now how many super bowls have the pats won since they got caught cheating?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Build a bridge and get over it.

If the Jets were winning 12 games a year and winning SBs JI would be the circle jerk you want it to be and the team would get the benefit of the doubt from the media.
    probably true but we only won 12 games once so your theory will never be tested.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    you can count! ok now how many super bowls have the pats won since they got caught cheating?
    Can you really say the Pats even won a Superbowl?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets face the facts. The Jets were very hard to like last year.

-Rex never knows when to stfu.

-Tebow was here, so Tim's haters were mad. Tebow didn't play, so his supporters were mad.

-Sanchez is a joke.

-Revis, the only Jet outsiders actually like to watch, got hurt very early in the year.

-Rex never knows when to stfu.

-They got blown the fuk out several times.

-Buttfumble.

-They won a few very ugly games (the 7-6 Arizona game lol) against terrible teams.

-Oh and Rex never knows when to stfu.

Even Jets fans hated them this year.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    You guys all act like this has been going on forever. It hasn't. Under Mangini I specifically remember Cannizaro writing reports where he had little or nothing to say, followed by an apology for it because Mangini and co did not give out any information at all. We were never called a circus then. When Herm was here there was an open door policy and looord knows he was clownish, but still we were not called a circus by any means. Why?

Because none of those guys constantly puffed out their chests bloating about how good they were gonna be, how they were already the talk of the town over their cross town rivals (who only followed our act up with 2 SB wins), how we weren't going to kiss rings, how we were going to meet presidents. I can't fathom why there's two threads right now talking about how it's so bad with the media and "I just can't fathom why!?!?"

Really? Do you guys not realize the Jets are Scott Farkus by now? Do you not realize we have been acting like bullies and idiots, and we finally got our asses kicked by Ralphie? People love to see the loudmouth bullies fall. And when it happens they love to pile on and give it right back. Mike Francesa is the radio version of Rex Ryan. Loud, brash, insulting, bloviating pile of turd. Every one of us is DYING to find out he's getting rammed in the ass by one legged midgets in tutu's. DYING to! Why? Because we all love to see the bigmouth bully get knocked on his ass. Well guess what folks, Rex is on the mat fumbling for his mouthpiece and everyone is snapping pictures, pointing, and laughing at him.
    This is why. I hope Rex has learned his lesson and will keep his bragging mouth shut. To the poster who mentioned Ali, I agree; he was a winner. His patter was poetic and some people even call it the beginning of "rap".

I don't know if Rex's words and actions are acceptable to NY/NJ football fans, but I for one don't like empty bragging and grandiose horn-blowing. Buffoonery. Circus peanuts. In fact, I can't remember any head coaches from my youth who were like Ryan. I recall Tom Landry standing on the sidelines of the hated Dallas Cowboys and his face never changed expression. I've seen coaches chew out players and argue with Refs. I remember Woody Hayes starting that brawl during a college football game. But outside of "the sport" of wrestling, I've never heard such bloviating hype from any coach.

And yes, I know most of you hate Tebow, but the media spotlight got even bigger when the Jets traded for him. Towards the end of the season, though, even Tebow haters were appalled by the way Rex handled the QB situation. NFL pundits, ESPN experts, ex-coaches, players, and John Q. Citizen - None could find a logical reason for Rex's misuse of Tebow. Even Westhoff could find no logical reason for the way Tebow was misused. In case you've already forgotten, it was called "shameful" repeatedly on ESPN for the last two weeks of the season. Rex seemed to have no logical reason NOT to start Tebow in the last game or two when there was nothing to lose. Sports experts found Rex's actions mind-boggling. THIS - Rex's treatment of Tebow - is a big reason why the Jets are hated at the moment. Whatever you might think of Tebow, a lot of people dislike the way he was treated by the Jets organization. Rex showed a true lack of character and lack of trustworthiness by those actions alone.

Before you tell me to STFU and GFY, these are just a few of the reasons that Rex and the Jets are simultaneously hated and derided right now. Yeah, I know you guys don't give a fig about what the rest of the country thinks about the Jets, but don't ask the question if you don't want an honest answer.