Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 267

Thread: It's gona be eighter Wilson or Glennon

  1. #101
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,485
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    seattle loved wilson, but waited to take him in the third round, b/c that's where they rated him. they probably took BAP on their board in the first two rounds, and that's the point.

    as bad as sanchez was, the jets offense won't look much better with a rookie qb if they don't improve the other positions on offense. if the jets took patterson on tennessee, they're instantly getting a home run hitter who can score in multiple ways. the draft is fairly deep at rb. i don't advocate taking a guard at 9, but i imagine they can get quality oline guys later on. they also need a good, strong right tackle. these voids can be addressed more easily, and with less controversy, than taking glennon at 9 if he's not rated that high on their boards. the team is not merely 1 qb away. they're half a team away. idzik would be wise not only to trade revis for what he can get, but also to explore trading back in the first round and picking up extra picks.
    Seattle loved Wilson but waited to rd. 3. because he's 5'10" and they know not many teams were going to have him on their radar that early.
    Even if they picked him in rd. 1 it would have been an excellent pick.
    The Jets won't have that luxury due to Glennon's size and arm talent.
    Guys like him go earlier than later.

    I'm not against going in a different direction for pick #9 or trading back, I just want QBs with high ceilings like Glennon to be given strong consideration and the ones the Jets target come draft time.

    BTW - everyone questioning Glennon's stats, accuracy, etc...
    Go look at how Wilson did at NC State for 3 years.

  2. #102
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Seattle loved Wilson but waited to rd. 3. because he's 5'10" and they know not many teams were going to have him on their radar that early.
    Even if they picked him in rd. 1 it would have been an excellent pick.
    The Jets won't have that luxury due to Glennon's size and arm talent.
    Guys like him go earlier than later.

    I'm not against going in a different direction for pick #9 or trading back, I just want QBs with high ceilings like Glennon to be given strong consideration and the ones the Jets target come draft time.

    BTW - everyone questioning Glennon's stats, accuracy, etc...
    Go look at how Wilson did at NC State for 3 years.
    the book on wilson was always that he performed well under pressure. with glennon it's the opposite, and that's a problem with such an immobile qb.

  3. #103
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Nice post. Makes a lot of sense... Except everyone rates players/priorities differently. Arizona could take Geno Smith, Buffalo could like Nassib in rd. 2, and the Jets could think Glennon is the top QB in this draft and worthy of the top pick...

    Just like Idzik may not be willing to put his rep on the line to take a qb, there is the reverse. You love a QB and take him in rd. 1 and he works out. Even in other rounds, if you love a QB, get him. The Jets scouting department was said to love Russell Wilson... Turns out they were right, so you have to trust your scouting more vs which pick won't get me fired.

    At least that's how I hope Idzik approaches things...
    Good post. If any team thought Wilson was going to be THE GUy, then it doesn't matter where you take him. What's worse, getting ridiculed by the media for taking a guy too early, or we hesitate and miss out and when the guy turns out to be elite, and then you say in retrospect, "yea we really liked him."

    If the Jets think that Glennon, Wilson, or even Nassib is a front line starter, then it doesn't matter if we take him at 9. He won't have to start right away because they have already stated a veteran is being brought in.

    If they Jets are not confident any of the QBs is worth taking at 9 or even in the first (if we trade Revis) then its not a big deal if they all go earlier than 40. We then regroup, take a flyer on a Manuel type in the 4th or something like that.

    The problem in the past is that we have not been able to get a consensus on our QB decisions. In 2009, scouts liked Freeman, Tanny and Rex loved Sanchez. Last year scouts loved Wilson and Tanny and Rex loved Tebow.

    I hope that when Idzik says he is a consensus builder, it's more the scouting department says this is the guy and unless Rex can convince the entire scouting department otherwise, then refer to the scouts who have been at this all year and not just a couple of weeks before the draft.

  4. #104
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Seattle loved Wilson but waited to rd. 3. because he's 5'10" and they know not many teams were going to have him on their radar that early.
    Even if they picked him in rd. 1 it would have been an excellent pick.
    The Jets won't have that luxury due to Glennon's size and arm talent.
    Guys like him go earlier than later.

    I'm not against going in a different direction for pick #9 or trading back, I just want QBs with high ceilings like Glennon to be given strong consideration and the ones the Jets target come draft time.

    BTW - everyone questioning Glennon's stats, accuracy, etc...
    Go look at how Wilson did at NC State for 3 years.
    Just because Seattle took Wilson in the third doesn't mean they had him rated as a 3rd. They could have rated Irvin and Wagner as first rounders with Wilson being an early 2nd. As well as Irvin and Wagner played last year, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that was the case.

  5. #105
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not convinced by Glennon, especially not in the first round. If we want a big, tall strong-armed guy who throws some mystifying passes, why not just pick EJ Manuel later in the draft? At last Manuel is mobile. Glennon is like a clumsy looking statue and, while he has a strong arm, some of the passes he attempts to make are horrific.

  6. #106
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Not convinced by Glennon, especially not in the first round. If we want a big, tall strong-armed guy who throws some mystifying passes, why not just pick EJ Manuel later in the draft? At last Manuel is mobile. Glennon is like a clumsy looking statue and, while he has a strong arm, some of the passes he attempts to make are horrific.
    or tyler bray. give me cordarelle patterson in the first, jamison in the 2nd and bray in the 3rd. total offensive overhaul.

  7. #107
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,793
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    if we are drafting a QB this year put me in the Glennon camp. I love his genetic tools...I love his footwork and mechanics. if all goes well he is an absolute clone of joe flacco, who i really liked coming out.

    the other guys scare the piss out of me. smith has crazy feet...just a bizarre QB. nassib....sanchez part deux. all these other guys are just bologna.

    in fact every single one of them is bologna.

    bologna. bologna. bologna.


    bottomline. don't draft a QB unless u absolutely have to. and then, do it like the giants or the colts do it. don't think ur going to luck out and draft rusell wilson or tom brady.

    but try for that once in a while anyway. regardless. if u have to draft a QB this year, draft glennon and hope he has a brain. but do NOT draft him at 9. draft him at 41 or if u get a another pick in rd 1/early 2 and he's there.

    at 9 i want to hear nothing but mingo or warmack.
    That's what lots of teams said about Brady , Bradshaw etc..... Some QB's mature and blossom differently, remember these are still young kids.

    All I hear is oh can't we suck so we can get Bridgewater or Manziel next year. Well sometimes college Qb's flame out look at Barkley , coming into this season he was the clear cut #1 prospect now no one talks about him.
    And with Manziel and his lack of size by time he hits the NFL defenses will have adapted to handle the running style QB, he will become the next Tebow all hype.

  8. #108
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midland Park, NJ
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    That's what lots of teams said about Brady , Bradshaw etc..... Some QB's mature and blossom differently, remember these are still young kids.

    All I hear is oh can't we suck so we can get Bridgewater or Manziel next year. Well sometimes college Qb's flame out look at Barkley , coming into this season he was the clear cut #1 prospect now no one talks about him.
    And with Manziel and his lack of size by time he hits the NFL defenses will have adapted to handle the running style QB, he will become the next Tebow all hype.
    Even if one flames out next years Quarterback class is still vastlybetter quality than this year's pukefest

    Bridgewater
    Thomas
    Murray
    Boyd
    Renner
    Carr

  9. #109
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,793
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    Even if one flames out next years Quarterback class is still vastlybetter quality than this year's pukefest

    Bridgewater
    Thomas
    Murray
    Boyd
    Renner
    Carr
    Maybe , maybe not , that's my point unless you have a clear cut can't miss prospect like Luck , Manning, etc... all these guys are crapshoots.

    Also , one QB you left off the list who has big time potential and can surpass all of them with a quality year is Zack Mettenberger.

  10. #110
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    Even if one flames out next years Quarterback class is still vastlybetter quality than this year's pukefest

    Bridgewater
    Thomas
    Murray
    Boyd
    Renner
    Carr
    i agree. i think the jets shouldn't overdraft a qb this year. wouldn't mind if the jets had an extra first rounder next year to try to get someone. sure the draft is a crapshoot but you have to draft a qb some time, and next year's bunch can't be worse than what's coming out this year.

  11. #111
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,012
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would take Glennon over Wilson, but not at #9 spot. This is why I hope Jets can at least trade down some...pick up a draft pick or two...then take a QB like Glennon there.

    Geno Smith won't be available...and I just don't feel any of the other QBs are good value at #9.

  12. #112
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    I would take Glennon over Wilson, but not at #9 spot. This is why I hope Jets can at least trade down some...pick up a draft pick or two...then take a QB like Glennon there.

    Geno Smith won't be available...and I just don't feel any of the other QBs are good value at #9.
    i think both gino and glennon will be gone by 9. arizona is desperate for a qb and my prediction is they take one of them if they're even there. the chiefs may take gino too. buffalo is also in play for a qb. i doubt the raiders or browns take one in the first round.

  13. #113
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,572
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonsta View Post
    Glennon has an impressive arm and he will complete down the field.Right now teams win with qb's who can throw down the field.Let's get him.
    i like him too have to admit didnt see much of him..he was pretty bad in bowl game..but from what i read has a piss poor supporting cast..raw tools are there i believe

  14. #114
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,572
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i agree. i think the jets shouldn't overdraft a qb this year. wouldn't mind if the jets had an extra first rounder next year to try to get someone. sure the draft is a crapshoot but you have to draft a qb some time, and next year's bunch can't be worse than what's coming out this year.
    ummmm revis trade??

  15. #115
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midland Park, NJ
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Maybe , maybe not , that's my point unless you have a clear cut can't miss prospect like Luck , Manning, etc... all these guys are crapshoots.

    Also , one QB you left off the list who has big time potential and can surpass all of them with a quality year is Zack Mettenberger.
    I also left Maziel off there too simply because both Mettenberger and Manziel need to show that they can be pro-ready not just college QB's

    That's what the senior bowl and combine next year are for

  16. #116
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Westchester
    Posts
    1,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    watching that video doesn't inspire confidence - yes he can throw the ball to an open guy but that never happens in the NFL

    he's throwing the ball with different motions, no consistent set up. I think this guy would have a TON of picks in an NFL situation. He doesn't strike me as a 1st-rounder at all.

  17. #117
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midland Park, NJ
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Senior Bowl game on today at 4. Glennon gets the start. Time to see who actually separates themselves with basically an all star supporting cast.

    If they're all puke worthy, it won't be worth taking a QB in the first at all

  18. #118
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,793
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    Senior Bowl game on today at 4. Glennon gets the start. Time to see who actually separates themselves with basically an all star supporting cast.

    If they're all puke worthy, it won't be worth taking a QB in the first at all
    The guy I'll be watching is Dysert ,he looks like he could be a nice fit for Mornhinweg's O. And there's no way can you base a draft pick on today's performance, everything needs to be evaluated not just a 10-15 snap sample.

  19. #119
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midland Park, NJ
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    EJ Manuel holding that ball like a loaf of bread

    Not so great at faking the hand off, it just isn't crisp

    Late on that read on that touchdown run. Has to know when to tuck it and run when you're that close.

  20. #120
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midland Park, NJ
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glennon with two good, strong screens to the outside, put it where it needs to be. Possibly a presnap read since the corners were playing off

    Two passes on 2nd and 3rd down was pressured and showed poor footwork, didn't square his shoulders and missed bad twice in a row, one on an out route and one he completely skyed a short pass on a designed running back screen

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us