Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: It's gona be eighter Wilson or Glennon

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure why no one like Landry Jones. Have you seen him play?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    i actually kind of like him, tho i am afraid of all of these baloney 2nd-3rd round Qbs. The all remind me kellen clemens for some reason.

its like buying the store brand soda instead of coke.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    i actually kind of like him, tho i am afraid of all of these baloney 2nd-3rd round Qbs. The all remind me kellen clemens for some reason.

its like buying the store brand soda instead of coke.
    He has all the tools. I guess I hear when there is pressure on him his accuracy drops tremendously, and doesn't have great pocket presence. But I have not noticed that yet by watching him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tomorrow is a big day for him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He has all the tools. I guess I hear when there is pressure on him his accuracy drops tremendously, and doesn't have great pocket presence. But I have not noticed that yet by watching him.
    ding ding

Also doesn't help that he's not athletic enough to avoid pressure.

Picture Tom Brady mobility if Brady didn't have the smarts to know where to go with the ball before he was pressure

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't watched a lot of Jones, just the bowl game and some random clips... But in the little I've seen just Like Wilson and Bray, his throwing motion and mechanics seem a bit wonky.

I like my Qb to have a overhead clean release... Look at the throwing mechanics of a Manning, Brady or Rodgers.

that's actually why I like Glennon so much, his throwing motion is really nice, overhead, with high release and I think could lead to being a good NFL Qb.

Another guy with this kind of throwing motion is Mallet from the Pats. I can see why BB took him even with all his off the field problems. They say Mallet looks great in practice...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    I haven't watched a lot of Jones, just the bowl game and some random clips... But in the little I've seen just Like Wilson and Bray, his throwing motion and mechanics seem a bit wonky.

I like my Qb to have a overhead clean release... Look at the throwing mechanics of a Manning, Brady or Rodgers.

that's actually why I like Glennon so much, his throwing motion is really nice, overhead, with high release and I think could lead to being a good NFL Qb.

Another guy with this kind of throwing motion is Mallet from the Pats. I can see why BB took him even with all his off the field problems. They say Mallet looks great in practice...
    yeah but mallet is just dumb sounding.

just cant picture that working

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was the only one asked to win games by throwing the ball.

Just this week on WFAN I heard on separate occasions - Elway and then Herm Edwards both say that ultimately you want the best passer and Luck is the best out of all of them. I agree.

BTW - I like Bridgewater an awful lot, think he will be great next year... He might go number 1 overall, he doesn't have Lucks size or arm, though.

I also don't think the Jets will be picking in the top 5...
    I think that Wilson showed in the Atlanta game that had he been asked to throw continuously like Luck he would have had success at that as well.

They way I see it the Jets need to draft QB until they find a franchise guy.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    He folds like a lawn chair as soon as pressure is applied.

Sounds like someone we all know...and hate.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great back and forth here, but to me it comes down to this:

HATE Glennon at 9.
    LOVE Glennon at 39.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    Great back and forth here, but to me it comes down to this:

HATE Glennon at 9.
    LOVE Glennon at 39.
    He wont be available at 39

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    Many teams need QB's and that will force teams to take them with an earlier pick than they might have otherwise. They will need to just to beat out the competition. I think Smith, Barkley and Glennon are gone before we pick.
    I sure hope so. That will mean a great true rush LB will fall to us, instead of converting a skinny DE. We can stop thinking about switching to a 43, and we'll finally be able to see what Rex' defense is supposed to look like. There are plenty of flawed QBs in this draft. We can take one that falls to us in the 2nd or 3rd.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    He wont be available at 39
    Well that will mean someone reached to get him. There is a Russell Wilson in this draft. The trick is to find him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with this... Except we dont know what teams are thinking, if he looks like Flacco in workouts, then you need to pick him at #9.

If he looks less than Flacco like, then yeah 2nd round or later is fine.

I think he's going to show too much arm/promise to last.

Agree also about the rest of the class, no one else has the ceiling this guy has.
    Probably will either need to take him in the first 2 rounds, or take someone late and draft another Qb next year.
    if glennon looks like flacco in workouts, he's going before 9. there are too many teams ahead of the jets who need a qb. arizona and buffalo need qbs as much as the jets do. how do you think fitz would like glennon throwing to him. he's going to be begging them to take a qb. i'd be shocked if no qbs go 1-8. if any of them look even decent someone before the jets will take a chance on him.

unfortunately, it's unlikely the jets are getting a real good qb prospect in this draft. idzik should do his due dilligence but odds are, the jets are going to draft BAP here. idzik, fair or not, is under heightened scrutiny wrt his drafting. it's to his benefit to take players who pan out. it will help shut up the media, convince players and coaches on the jets that they actually are going to get better, and give hope to the franchise. after next season sanchez will be gone, they'll probably pick top 10 again, and who knows, maybe they trade revis and get a #1 in 2014, when they may actually be able to trade up for a better qb. but after seeing what sanchez's lack of development has done to this organization, even with the reduced rookie pay scale, it would be a shame, shame, shame if idzik reached for a qb in the first round, only to witness the same disappointment the past 4 years as we've watched with sanchez. sure any qb could pan out, but there's more to it here. i highly doubt idzik is willing to state his rep as a personnel guy by taking a qb considerably higher than he's rated. it's not the right time in his tenure to take that kind of risk.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The same Derek Anderson with the long hitch delivery, poor mechanics and who completed just 50% his passes in college?

Sort of like trying to seriously compare Aaron Rodgers and Mark Sanchez.
    Rodgers and Sanchez were very similar when they came out. In fact Rodgers was considered a bust early on. You can see the difference a developmental plan makes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Well that will mean someone reached to get him. There is a Russell Wilson in this draft. The trick is to find him.
    Russel Wilson was a terrific playmaker in college.

At NC State he was a real player, Tom Obrien , much like a REX, didnt know how to change his rigid offense to suit him.

Tom Obrien needs a Glennon, matt Ryan type.

He IMO was not a reach in the 3rd round.

REACH is VLAD, ELLIS, WILSON, etc....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    if glennon looks like flacco in workouts, he's going before 9. there are too many teams ahead of the jets who need a qb. arizona and buffalo need qbs as much as the jets do. how do you think fitz would like glennon throwing to him. he's going to be begging them to take a qb. i'd be shocked if no qbs go 1-8. if any of them look even decent someone before the jets will take a chance on him.

unfortunately, it's unlikely the jets are getting a real good qb prospect in this draft. idzik should do his due dilligence but odds are, the jets are going to draft BAP here. idzik, fair or not, is under heightened scrutiny wrt his drafting. it's to his benefit to take players who pan out. it will help shut up the media, convince players and coaches on the jets that they actually are going to get better, and give hope to the franchise. after next season sanchez will be gone, they'll probably pick top 10 again, and who knows, maybe they trade revis and get a #1 in 2014, when they may actually be able to trade up for a better qb. but after seeing what sanchez's lack of development has done to this organization, even with the reduced rookie pay scale, it would be a shame, shame, shame if idzik reached for a qb in the first round, only to witness the same disappointment the past 4 years as we've watched with sanchez. sure any qb could pan out, but there's more to it here. i highly doubt idzik is willing to state his rep as a personnel guy by taking a qb considerably higher than he's rated. it's not the right time in his tenure to take that kind of risk.
    Nice post. Makes a lot of sense... Except everyone rates players/priorities differently. Arizona could take Geno Smith, Buffalo could like Nassib in rd. 2, and the Jets could think Glennon is the top QB in this draft and worthy of the top pick...

Just like Idzik may not be willing to put his rep on the line to take a qb, there is the reverse. You love a QB and take him in rd. 1 and he works out. Even in other rounds, if you love a QB, get him. The Jets scouting department was said to love Russell Wilson... Turns out they were right, so you have to trust your scouting more vs which pick won't get me fired.

At least that's how I hope Idzik approaches things...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Rodgers and Sanchez were very similar when they came out. In fact Rodgers was considered a bust early on. You can see the difference a developmental plan makes.
    I meant now, not in college...

In college Sanchez and Rodgers were similar talents, thats why they both got picked in rd. 1...

Anderson was selected in rd. 6. Glennon won't it past the 2nd round...
    Nothing alike.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    What percentage of the fanbase would Glennon give hope to? This was not a big name player or someone who had a very distinguished college career. It would raise a ton of eyebrows and skepticism. And if he came in and struggled early on? The fanbase would be throwing around the "bust" word so quickly, and probably be calling for Sanchez to play by week 5 or 6. You think Jags fans were excited to pick Gabbert? You think Vikings fans were excited to pick Ponder? Just taking a QB high in the draft by itself does not excite a fanbase. Other than Geno Smith, any QB we took at #9 would receive a lot of criticism from fanbase and media (fair or not). I just know this fanbase and the local media too well
    Agreed - sadly.

The usual argument that you hear is "this guy is a top pick, so he must be good / better be good". Never bodes well ... people think that somehow where a player gets picked is up to the player.

Worse still, if we pick a QB at #9 and want to sit him for a year to develop, you'll never hear the end of the howling about a "project" pick, and a "bust" because he can't start straight away. Yet throw him into the fire straight away and if he flounders the team still gets ripped.

Who would want to be a GM?

This year, most of all, Jets cannot afford to lock in on particular players ... take the best guy at your slot, or look to trade down. You might not end up with the guy you want, but you may end up with the guy you need. The successful teams like Pittsburgh always take this approach, and more often than not end up with strong players and a well built foundation.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice post. Makes a lot of sense... Except everyone rates players/priorities differently. Arizona could take Geno Smith, Buffalo could like Nassib in rd. 2, and the Jets could think Glennon is the top QB in this draft and worthy of the top pick...

Just like Idzik may not be willing to put his rep on the line to take a qb, there is the reverse. You love a QB and take him in rd. 1 and he works out. Even in other rounds, if you love a QB, get him. The Jets scouting department was said to love Russell Wilson... Turns out they were right, so you have to trust your scouting more vs which pick won't get me fired.

At least that's how I hope Idzik approaches things...
    seattle loved wilson, but waited to take him in the third round, b/c that's where they rated him. they probably took BAP on their board in the first two rounds, and that's the point.

as bad as sanchez was, the jets offense won't look much better with a rookie qb if they don't improve the other positions on offense. if the jets took patterson on tennessee, they're instantly getting a home run hitter who can score in multiple ways. the draft is fairly deep at rb. i don't advocate taking a guard at 9, but i imagine they can get quality oline guys later on. they also need a good, strong right tackle. these voids can be addressed more easily, and with less controversy, than taking glennon at 9 if he's not rated that high on their boards. the team is not merely 1 qb away. they're half a team away. idzik would be wise not only to trade revis for what he can get, but also to explore trading back in the first round and picking up extra picks.