Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: It's gona be eighter Wilson or Glennon

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I have no idea why you keep comparing him to guys like McCoy, Leinart, Simms, etc

For a guy who supposedly watches every NC State game, your assessment of him couldn't be farther off.
    the comparison is IMPACT. I agree he is othing like them in style.

He will be more like Kellen Clemens. You watch.......

Why?

At least it gives us hope again.

Sorry, but I can't get excited about the future if we take some mid-late round QB whose longterm potential is that of a backup.
    It's a fools errand to draft a player higher than they deserve just because you have a large hole. Hope picks get you Blaine Gabbert etc. Using the #9 overall pick on a Qb in a lousy Qb class does a couple of bad things.

#1, you are married to the guy for a number of years. Not as much financially anymore but having picked a guy top 10 no matter how bad he is you will stick with him for 4 or 5 years.

#2, the quality player you passed over to get that false hope rips up the league for 10 years.

We need a QB, we do not need a QB this next draft, at least not with our 1st rounder.

I think Geno does, despite what guys like Kiper and McShay think.

Glennon will probably shoot up the boards after the senior bowl/combine/pro days. Big bodied, rocket armed QB's always do.

I'd personally have no problem with Glennon at #9.

I'd rather roll the dice on a potential stud QB than take the 3rd/4th rated passrusher.

People can call it a reach all they want, but if the kid turns out to be a legit franchise QB, no one will give a sh*t where we drafted him.
    And if he doesn't, we suck for another 4 more years. I'm sorry, but halfway through the college season, if the idea of Mike Glennon going #9 in the draft had been brought up, people would have laughed. He's the classic, stock rising after the season ends guy. Shouldn't performance on the field matter most?

Why?

At least it gives us hope again.

Sorry, but I can't get excited about the future if we take some mid-late round QB whose longterm potential is that of a backup.
    What percentage of the fanbase would Glennon give hope to? This was not a big name player or someone who had a very distinguished college career. It would raise a ton of eyebrows and skepticism. And if he came in and struggled early on? The fanbase would be throwing around the "bust" word so quickly, and probably be calling for Sanchez to play by week 5 or 6. You think Jags fans were excited to pick Gabbert? You think Vikings fans were excited to pick Ponder? Just taking a QB high in the draft by itself does not excite a fanbase. Other than Geno Smith, any QB we took at #9 would receive a lot of criticism from fanbase and media (fair or not). I just know this fanbase and the local media too well

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonsta View Post
    I would not touch Barkley at all.Usc qb's are busts and busts every single time.Nc St has produced Phillip Rivers and Russel last name Wilson,yes even though he transferred to Wisconsin.I would have much more faith with Glennon over Barkley.
    So by your logic we should draft either Tyler Bray(Ten) or Denard Robinson(Mich) because Brady came from Mich and Peyton Manning from Tenn.

Its laughable that people want to judge current players by those who proceeded them in college. The coaching staffs, players and philosophies all have changed from when Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, Todd Marinovich, Matt Barkley were QB's at USC. having said that I still don't like Barkley but not because he's from USC.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    And if he doesn't, we suck for another 4 more years. I'm sorry, but halfway through the college season, if the idea of Mike Glennon going #9 in the draft had been brought up, people would have laughed. He's the classic, stock rising after the season ends guy. Shouldn't performance on the field matter most?
    You guys talk about these QB's as if the rookie wage scale never happened.

These guys make f*cking peanuts compared to what they were getting just 3 years ago.

Sanchez got a $65 million contract as the 5th overall pick 5 years ago.

Cam Newton got a $22 million contract as the #1 overall pick 2 years ago.

You aren't f*cked for 4-5 years anymore if you take a QB in the Top 10 and he doesn't pan out. Hell, you can cut bait immediately if you deem it necessary.

Also, Joe Flacco was widely viewed as a 2nd round pick leading up to the '08 draft. You think the Ravens give a flying f*ck right about now that they traded up and "reached" for him?

Also don't forget, if Idzik goes QB in round 1 at #9, he's basically staking his GM tenure to that QB. No way he would do that with guys like Barkley and Glennon, who have a lot of question marks. At least if we wait until round 2, he can call the guy "developmental" and sell the fanbase on sitting him for a year or 2 while a veteran starts. Taking a QB at #9, he has to start right away given recent history.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Why does he wear a knee brace?

If the Jets like Glennon, they should trade down to get him. He's rated as a high second rounder but will doubtless move into the late first as QBs move up every year.

By trading down from 9 to the early 20s, they can get him and at least an additional first-round pick next year and probably an extra choice or two this year as well.

This team has major talent needs on offense, and moving down for extra picks makes a lot more sense than reaching for a player.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    Why does he wear a knee brace?
    Because at 6'6" and 220lbs after a month of lifting he's an absolute bean stalk that would get bend like a pretzel

All League
    Trade Revis. Pick Glennon at 9. This offseason is shaping up to be a doozy.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Do you see any QBs going in the first 8 picks?
    Many teams need QB's and that will force teams to take them with an earlier pick than they might have otherwise. They will need to just to beat out the competition. I think Smith, Barkley and Glennon are gone before we pick.

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    Trade Revis. Pick Glennon at 9. This offseason is shaping up to be a doozy.
    Any studs at UMASS available in the 2nd round?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    There is no chance there isn't one.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Okay, now that was mean-spirited.

Notice - The same guys here who were the first to say Sanchez would never be a good QB (to much ridicule) are now the first to recognize that Glennon will be a good QB (to much ridicule).

Sure there are things he does wrong, but they can be fixed.
    What can't be taught is size, arm, and overall throwing ability...

He has a ridiculous ceiling and is exactly the type of QB the Jets should be selecting every time they have a chance to draft a QB.

Don't be surprised if he's in the top 10 when all is said and done.

If Russell Wilson didn't speed up his graduation, flirt with baseball and ultimately leave NC State, Glennon would have rode the pine his JR year also. Now that doesn't mean Glennon isn't good. But 7-5, 6-6 seasons in the ACC? A career completion percentage of 61? Takes a lot of sacks and pretty turnover prone? First round would be absolutely foolish for the Jets. He's no Big Ben, that's for sure.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Notice - The same guys here who were the first to say Sanchez would never be a good QB (to much ridicule) are now the first to recognize that Glennon will be a good QB (to much ridicule).

Sure there are things he does wrong, but they can be fixed.
    What can't be taught is size, arm, and overall throwing ability...

He has a ridiculous ceiling and is exactly the type of QB the Jets should be selecting every time they have a chance to draft a QB.

Don't be surprised if he's in the top 10 when all is said and done.
    It's about mixed with how many people loved/hated Sanchez who love/hate Glennon. If the draft were coordinated by simply knowing who one group loves/hates then there would never be any guessing at it.

You don't take a project who has poor mechanics and questionable decision making in the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    If Russell Wilson didn't speed up his graduation, flirt with baseball and ultimately leave NC State, Glennon would have rode the pine his JR year also. Now that doesn't mean Glennon isn't good. But 7-5, 6-6 seasons in the ACC? A career completion percentage of 61? Takes a lot of sacks and pretty turnover prone? First round would be absolutely foolish for the Jets. He's no Big Ben, that's for sure.
    Don't pay too much attention to the completion percentage, he didn't play in a dink and dunk, screen offene where guys (cough, cough... Barkley) pad their stats... Like Matt Ryan who had similar stats in college, he as driving the ball down field.

Also realize he leading rusher went for less than 700 yards, and every single game I've watched his WRs dropped (a lot) passes. Don't believe me, go watch UNC game on YouTube and count the drops in that one.... 8 I believe...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Don't pay too much attention to the completion percentage, he didn't play in a dink and dunk, screen offene where guys (cough, cough... Barkley) pad their stats... Like Matt Ryan who had similar stats in college, he as driving the ball down field.

Also realize he leading rusher went for less than 700 yards, and every single game I've watched his WRs dropped (a lot) passes. Don't believe me, go watch UNC game on YouTube and count the drops in that one.... 8 I believe...
    Sounds a lot like the excuses people give Sanchez around here...