View Poll Results: OFFICIAL JI POLL: What should the Jets do with Revis

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • EXTEND HIM...at all costs! Do whatever it takes.

15 9.55%
  • EXTEND HIM...only if the deal is cap-friendly

50 31.85%
  • TRADE HIM...for nothing less than 2 #1 Picks

29 18.47%
  • TRADE HIM...for best offer (its better than getting nothing)

56 35.67%
  • DO NOTHING

7 4.46%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL JI POLL: What should the Jets do with Revis

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    The do whatever it takes line is way off because he could ask for $200M. I don't think he will, but its a possibility.

That said, I think they have to keep him. Offer him something like 5 years for $60M with about 35-40 of that guaranteed and include a whole bunch of hold out clauses so he can't hold their feet to the fire.

Keep in mind this team gave Mark Sanchez $58M. Santonio Holmes got a $45M deal. Bart Scott got $48M. Calvin Pace got $42M.

None of those guys are half as good at their jobs as Revis is at his.

Letting him go does not make them a better team and it does not send a good message to the other players on the team.

I know there are a lot of guys on here who hate him, and that's fine, but lets not pretend that he's the only player in he league looking to get every penny he deserves. And I know none of you would go into your boss office and tell him you want to take less money to work there because you love it so much. Pease get over that sh!t already

All I care about is how he performs on Sunday because that's all that really matters.
    The guy held out twice in his first 5 years, and he'll do it again next year. I think it sends a perfect message that Trader Mike has left the building.

Hall Of Fame
    month ago I would say trading him is insane. But now I'm beginning to think it might be a good idea. If you can get some nice picks for him, along with us not being able to afford him, plus he is injured often.. Why not?

All League

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The guy held out twice in his first 5 years, and he'll do it again next year. I think it sends a perfect message that Trader Mike has left the building.
    I would agree...I think the poll should be based more in reality to get a sense based on reality.

Something like... "Assuming the Jets would have to pay Revis $15mm a year what do you want to do"

1) trade him now for best value (likely to be a 1 and something else smaller)
    2) let him play out this year and get the 3rd round comp pick
    3) pay him

Here I would choose 1

Jets Insider VIP
    I think there is no doubt that if he is 100% healthy and is willing to do a cap friendly contract, you sign him. He is an amazing player and certainly helps bring this team back to respectability.

If he doesn't accept a cap friendly contract, and unfortunately I don't think his history offers much hope that he will, they have to trade him. Sucks because he is my favorite Jet.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

A lot of interesting poll options that will skew the results. The Do Nothing one is tempting to pick just for comedic purposes. Although there is a logical defense to the do nothing aspect.

In a perfect world, You would be able to trade Darrelle Revis for equal trade value. He's worth at least 2 first round picks. You are probably not going to get that unless it is from a team that feels it will be picking 30 to 32 every year. I see no problem with the Jets fielding calls and entertaining trade offers. Pulling the trigger is another thing. It's something that needs to be taken seriously.

From a cap perspective, The Jets take a hit if they trade Revis this offseason. The Jets are not 30 million over the cap as irresponsibly reported by media figures like Chris Mortenson. That's a phony figure used to pile on the negativity.

When you look at the Jets cap structure, There is a lot of money coming off the books in this offseason and the next. Two major contracts that could come off the books in 2014 are Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes. There is also wiggle room for restructuring down the line with certain key players like Ferguson,Mangold and David Harris. The usual spot that gets a major portion of the cap is quarterback. Even if the Jets strike it big in a trade or drafting a very good quarterback. That said player will not have a large cap figure for atleast 4 to 5 seasons.

I think that the Jets have a year to attempt to sign Darrelle Revis to a long term deal. It would end up being more cap friendly if structured properly. The ball is in John Idzik's court. If he hasn't received a mandate from his boss, Woody Johnson on trading Revis.(according to reports)... Take that with a very small grain of salt. John Idzik needs to sit with Darrelle's representatives and work out a long term deal with the franchise's greatest player ever. Let Revis play out his final year, Let him earn a new deal and negotiate a new deal with him near or at the end of the 2013 season.

If Revis refuses to sign a new deal and decides to walk. His contract comes off the books completely, The Jets save face and they will have enough cap room to sign a corner and will get a high compensatory selection for Revis leaving. That's a worst case scenario.

I vote for the Jets to re-sign Revis to a cap friendly deal. Any extension will be cap friendly if structured properly. Get it done, Mr. Idzik.
    Last edited by YJF; 01-26-2013 at 09:11 AM.

NE is said to want him and realize Brady's (the franchise's) window is closing and would likely pay more than anyone else...

Trade him for their 1st this year, their 1st next year and Ryan Mallet...

Or maybe just Woodhead straight up.

Esentially 90 to 11 right now for trading him, because "EXTEND WITH CAP FRIENDLY" is not an option with Revis. No $16M a year deal will be cap friendly it is 13% of the entire cap/

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by YJF View Post
    I vote for the Jets to re-sign Revis to a cap friendly deal. Any extension will be cap friendly if structured properly. Get it done, Mr. Idzik.
    Has Santa,The Tooth fairy or the Easter bunny visited your house recently?? You have a better chance of them stopping by then Team Mevis doing anything Cap friendly for the Jets..

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Esentially 90 to 11 right now for trading him, because "EXTEND WITH CAP FRIENDLY" is not an option with Revis. No $16M a year deal will be cap friendly it is 13% of the entire cap/
    Title of the thread is WHAT SHOULD THE JETS DO WITH REVIS. Voted as a fan I would hope their first choice is to try and extend him with a cap friendly offer. Doubt also that he takes it, but they need to make the offer. IF Jets are rejected Trade for best offer is the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bocajetfan68 View Post
    Title of the thread is WHAT SHOULD THE JETS DO WITH REVIS. Voted as a fan I would hope their first choice is to try and extend him with a cap friendly offer. Doubt also that he takes it, but they need to make the offer. IF Jets are rejected Trade for best offer is the choice.
    I agree with this ... 10 years 100 million ... 50 guaranteed. ... If he snubs it ... Trade for sure.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    But if we weren't saddled with so many other big hits, it is one you could absorb ... Harris is taking up $13m in cap room as an inside linebacker.

At least Revis would earn his money. And as we keep hearing, it's becoming more of a passing league every year. CB can help you defend that; slow ILB can't (and doesn't).

I know we're stuck with the situation (thanks Tanny ) but I don't want us losing the best CB in the league because we need to overpay an average ILB (plus a shoddy QB and a stroppy WR).

"Cap friendly" could still be achieved with a large salary, we're due to shed some serious cap space after this coming year. And with rookie contracts under control we don't have so much to panic about for 2014. I'm hoping Idzik gets a deal sorted that extends Revis long term without crippling us for 2013, while we sort out the remaining contract issues on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    NE is said to want him and realize Brady's (the franchise's) window is closing and would likely pay more than anyone else...

Trade him for their 1st this year, their 1st next year and Ryan Mallet...

Or maybe just Woodhead straight up.

I would do that.

I think there was definitely a negotiation going on that didn't go we'll, that's why we're hearing all this BS..It's going to get worse I would guess, they're both trying hard to win the battle of public opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I agree with this ... 10 years 100 million ... 50 guaranteed. ... If he snubs it ... Trade for sure.
    Agreed, that is the number..

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    But if we weren't saddled with so many other big hits, it is one you could absorb ... Harris is taking up $13m in cap room as an inside linebacker.

At least Revis would earn his money. And as we keep hearing, it's becoming more of a passing league every year. CB can help you defend that; slow ILB can't (and doesn't).

I know we're stuck with the situation (thanks Tanny ) but I don't want us losing the best CB in the league because we need to overpay an average ILB (plus a shoddy QB and a stroppy WR).

"Cap friendly" could still be achieved with a large salary, we're due to shed some serious cap space after this coming year. And with rookie contracts under control we don't have so much to panic about for 2014. I'm hoping Idzik gets a deal sorted that extends Revis long term without crippling us for 2013, while we sort out the remaining contract issues on this team.
    Idzik has to prioritise roster options. Revis comes up first due to his value and the draft picks he would garner. Harris, Sanchez and others have little to no value in a trade due how they under preformed for what they would cost contract wise.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    I think there was definitely a negotiation going on that didn't go we'll, that's why we're hearing all this BS..It's going to get worse I would guess, they're both trying hard to win the battle of public opinion
    The reason we're hearing it is because of the GM candidates that can't stop blabbing about what was discussed in the interview room.

Very unprofessional.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Trade him outside of the division for nothing less then a 1st and 2nd round pick in this years draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    This too depends on how it's structured.

If it's 10mm a year for the first 5 guaranteed, that's just wishful thinking.

No way he takes that. But if it 15mm a year guaranteed for three years, that's just too much to pay him.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocajetfan68 View Post
    Idzik has to prioritise roster options. Revis comes up first due to his value and the draft picks he would garner. Harris, Sanchez and others have little to no value in a trade due how they under preformed for what they would cost contract wise.
    I know we won't get to trade Harris / Sanchez. But we shouldn't be looking to move Revis on the assumption that we have to pay these guys forever and that we're out of cap space beyond this coming year.

I just did a quick exercise to see what our total cap spend on our probable starters would be - I found the results so far quite scary!

Total D - 7 spots filled, gaps at OLB (* 2) and S (* 2). Total cap spend 2013 = just about $38m
    (7 spots = Coples / Ellis / Wilk / Harris / Davis / Revis / Cro)

Total O - 6 spots filled, gaps at G (* 2), RT, TE, FB. Total cap spend 2013 = just about $47m
    (6 spots = Sanchez / Mangold / Brick / Powell / Holmes / Hill)

On D I could look to fill the two OLB spots with someone like McIntyre ($568k) and a top draft pick (let's say $2m). Even if I then spent $7m on two safeties, that brings it to roughly what our 6 O guys would be! I would hope we could find a rookie / young safety that wouldn't cost too much either. Could we get Landry for $6m and a rookie / low price FA for $1m?

On O, let's say $5.5m for two G and one RT all in (same as in 2012) ... $500k for a FB ... TE is tricky to guess, let's say we somehow resign Keller at same as last year $4m. That brings the O up to at least $57m, compared to a D at $47m (possibly lower if we don't keep Landry).

I know there's a lot of made up numbers in there, but the D comes out better value for money - by far, IMHO - than the O. So I would have no qualms about continuing to spend on the D by upping Revis, at least you know you'll get what you pay for.

As you say, Idzik has to prioritise roster options, but looking at it as a full unit I wouldn't say that we're overspending on D at the moment. IMO we can afford another star player salary like Revis, esp. as we can hopefully get MUCH cheaper at ILB once Harris' deal is gone. Revis is a top player ... Harris sadly is not.