View Poll Results: OFFICIAL JI POLL: What should the Jets do with Revis

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • EXTEND HIM...at all costs! Do whatever it takes.

15 9.55%
  • EXTEND HIM...only if the deal is cap-friendly

50 31.85%
  • TRADE HIM...for nothing less than 2 #1 Picks

29 18.47%
  • TRADE HIM...for best offer (its better than getting nothing)

56 35.67%
  • DO NOTHING

7 4.46%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL JI POLL: What should the Jets do with Revis

If Revis wasn't coming off a major injury, I could see a team giving 2 #1s for him. I think the best offer the Jets will get is a 1 and 2...a 1 and 3 seems most realistic though.

If we can pull (2) #1's off with him coming off that knee injury, bye-bye Revis...I'd do that in a heartbeat.

The guy's coming off a major injury. Now's the perfect opportunity to try and extend him at the nadir of his value. Trading him for a low 1st round pick (probably going to be the best return) is a mistake. Even two 1st round picks I'd consider not doing it. The guy is a generational talent. You don't trade that, even if the team is dog****.

Hall Of Fame
    This poll is flawed. Options 2 and 3 are pipe dreams and should be omitted.

It should be: Keep him long-term (implies doing whatever it takes $$$-wise). Trade him (implies trading him for best deal). Do Nothing (implies risking a holdout and/or losing him in FA).
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 01-25-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    I think they should wait, do nothing, there is no rush

My first choice would be to sign Revis to a long term deal (~12m decreasing over time) so he can retire as a Jet

He can and should be the highest paid CB but this team cannot win a championship with a 16-20 million dollar CB (and he is gone if that's the expectation, current contract assures that)

Fitz and CJ2k got top money and those teams are crippled, like the Jets

So, if someone offers at least 2 no' 1's (2014 draft is key to the rebuild) then we listen (acceptable option but not preferred)

but for ~2nd round value i would rather have Revis on the team next year and let free agency decide (So what if he walks, we gave a 2nd to rent Cro and Tanny gave a pick for the crappy Eagle CB before Cro)

Worth it just to keep Revis on the team, he will be playing for 100 million, could be fun to watch
    Fitz's deal is not the reason Zona sucks. They named DA starter after he lost the QB comp in camp. Then gave up a draft pick in what was one of the strongest draft classes in history for Kolb. They have passed on QBs like Flacco, Ryan Mallett, Brock Osweiler, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins, Colt McCoy, and oh yeah Kevin Kolb. While all the time saying they don't have a QB of the future. Zona even when they draft good doesn't keep the guys they draft.

All League
    Pats are rumored to make an offer. All you need to know about this idea

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Pats are rumored to make an offer. All you need to know about this idea
    The pats can't afford him.

Unfortunately, the asshats running this organization pre Idzik has led us to "needing" to trade Revis for as much value as we can get in return.

Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    If you think there should be more choices here, let me know.
    I feel like one of the choices needs to be "I'm speechless."

Quote Originally Posted by halfsharkalligatorhalfman View Post
    The guy's coming off a major injury. Now's the perfect opportunity to try and extend him at the nadir of his value. Trading him for a low 1st round pick (probably going to be the best return) is a mistake. Even two 1st round picks I'd consider not doing it. The guy is a generational talent. You don't trade that, even if the team is dog****.
    Revis is going to want to paid $...injury or no injury. He's already held out twice for more $ with multiple years left on his contract. If the Jets let him play out his contract, great chance he goes to another team for a lot of $...and Jets would lose him without getting anything back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Fitz's deal is not the reason Zona sucks. They named DA starter after he lost the QB comp in camp. Then gave up a draft pick in what was one of the strongest draft classes in history for Kolb. They have passed on QBs like Flacco, Ryan Mallett, Brock Osweiler, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins, Colt McCoy, and oh yeah Kevin Kolb. While all the time saying they don't have a QB of the future. Zona even when they draft good doesn't keep the guys they draft.
    no arguments on Zona but there are always mistakes, on every team

8 year 120 million dollar contracts limit options especially on a team that needs to improve many areas

at that rate, 4 players could use almost half the cap

I know the media keeps calling Revis' latest deal a "band aid" contract and that it was supposed to be re-done after 2 years or whatever. If that is true, can you imagine how pain in the assy Revis' pain in the aas agents will be? Maybe some new people to work with (Idzik) might make things go a little smoother .... if it gets to that point, of course

Keep him if it makes sense. Try to get the deal done now. It not, bye bye and get a 1 and whatever else we can get.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If he'll do a 10-12 per season I lock him up for 5 years

If not I trade him for best offer before next season

Trade him if we get a decent (anything more than the third/fourth round comp pick we'd get if he walked) offer. People have too much of a tendency to fall in love with someone and get blinded. At this point he is no more than a one year ('13) rental. He's going with the highest bidder a year from now and that bidder will not be the Jets. We're not going to the SB next year so we're better off getting some draft picks and some FA with the $ we're not paying him.

Look up

"Herschel Walker Trade"

All Pro
    The do whatever it takes line is way off because he could ask for $200M. I don't think he will, but its a possibility.

That said, I think they have to keep him. Offer him something like 5 years for $60M with about 35-40 of that guaranteed and include a whole bunch of hold out clauses so he can't hold their feet to the fire.

Keep in mind this team gave Mark Sanchez $58M. Santonio Holmes got a $45M deal. Bart Scott got $48M. Calvin Pace got $42M.

None of those guys are half as good at their jobs as Revis is at his.

Letting him go does not make them a better team and it does not send a good message to the other players on the team.

I know there are a lot of guys on here who hate him, and that's fine, but lets not pretend that he's the only player in he league looking to get every penny he deserves. And I know none of you would go into your boss office and tell him you want to take less money to work there because you love it so much. Pease get over that sh!t already

All I care about is how he performs on Sunday because that's all that really matters.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 01-25-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Looks like Izzy made the call to chill out Revis:

"I reached out to Darrelle and I made sure he knew exactly where we were coming from and that this is my first day on the job," Idzik said Friday on NBC Network's "Pro Football Talk." "And our message to everyone was, 'Give us a chance to get to know each other and introduce ourselves to each other.'

"A lot of the people in the building you know through football circles but you've never worked along side each other. So give us that chance and give us the chance to go through our current roster, ultimately that's the basis of comparison to whatever you may contemplate doing. We haven't taken that first step and that's what I relayed to Darrelle."

It's a logical explanation, one that Revis "reacted well" to, according to Idzik. Added the new GM: "My feeling was that he was appreciative to hear from me about what happened."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...rom-john-idzik

All Pro
    I think you need something inbetween 2 #1s and for whatever you can get. That's kind of silly. I'd say a 1 and a conditional pick to be named later. They don't have to be this year either. Someone will mortgage their future to win now.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    + 1

#2 is not a realistic option. He reportedly wants $15M+ a season. There's no way to make such a contract 'cap friendly'.
    I hear this but can't find it anywhere. So you have a link to what he reportedly wants? Seriously, cuz I can't find it