View Poll Results: OFFICIAL JI POLL: What should the Jets do with Revis

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • EXTEND HIM...at all costs! Do whatever it takes.

15 9.55%
  • EXTEND HIM...only if the deal is cap-friendly

50 31.85%
  • TRADE HIM...for nothing less than 2 #1 Picks

29 18.47%
  • TRADE HIM...for best offer (its better than getting nothing)

56 35.67%
  • DO NOTHING

7 4.46%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: OFFICIAL JI POLL: What should the Jets do with Revis

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Extend him but only if the cap hit makes sense. If not on the market he goes to the highest bidder.
    If Jets can sign Revis to a CAP friendly offer...sure...do it. Then trade Cro. Darelle is the best corner in the league by far. And is younger then Cro.

But...is that likely to happen? IMO...no.

And that's the problem. I'm already sick due to Revis contractitis. The cure is probably to trade him. And get what you can.

Here's a thought on how to keep him...

Considering 2013 is a rebuilding year. Give him the 15mm a year he wants (or do the best you can) but pay him 30 million in 2013, taking the cap pressure off future years.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    I know we won't get to trade Harris / Sanchez. But we shouldn't be looking to move Revis on the assumption that we have to pay these guys forever and that we're out of cap space beyond this coming year.

I just did a quick exercise to see what our total cap spend on our probable starters would be - I found the results so far quite scary!

Total D - 7 spots filled, gaps at OLB (* 2) and S (* 2). Total cap spend 2013 = just about $38m
    (7 spots = Coples / Ellis / Wilk / Harris / Davis / Revis / Cro)

Total O - 6 spots filled, gaps at G (* 2), RT, TE, FB. Total cap spend 2013 = just about $47m
    (6 spots = Sanchez / Mangold / Brick / Powell / Holmes / Hill)

On D I could look to fill the two OLB spots with someone like McIntyre ($568k) and a top draft pick (let's say $2m). Even if I then spent $7m on two safeties, that brings it to roughly what our 6 O guys would be! I would hope we could find a rookie / young safety that wouldn't cost too much either. Could we get Landry for $6m and a rookie / low price FA for $1m?

On O, let's say $5.5m for two G and one RT all in (same as in 2012) ... $500k for a FB ... TE is tricky to guess, let's say we somehow resign Keller at same as last year $4m. That brings the O up to at least $57m, compared to a D at $47m (possibly lower if we don't keep Landry).

I know there's a lot of made up numbers in there, but the D comes out better value for money - by far, IMHO - than the O. So I would have no qualms about continuing to spend on the D by upping Revis, at least you know you'll get what you pay for.

As you say, Idzik has to prioritise roster options, but looking at it as a full unit I wouldn't say that we're overspending on D at the moment. IMO we can afford another star player salary like Revis, esp. as we can hopefully get MUCH cheaper at ILB once Harris' deal is gone. Revis is a top player ... Harris sadly is not.
    In no way am I a cap guy and rely on guys like you to make the numbers work. but one statment by you needs to be looked at "MUCH cheaper at ILB once Harris' deal is gone" Tanny tried this at Guard and Tackle and result was a disaster. Cheaper and Better are not always a possability. To get better at the areas of need the Jets will have to spend more at those positions which throw an unknown number into the equastion. Sure some upgrade can come from the draft but those players would most likely take 2 or 3 years to develop. Took Revis several years to become the player he is. Good to very good player in his first 3 years dominent after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    This non-existent poll sucks.

I say keep Revis and work on resigning him once they can determine his level of ability post-op.
    This is actually the best idea I've heard. If the Jets trade Revis they absolutely have to resign Laron Landry to a long-term deal or otherwise face having a bottom 5 secondary next season. Resigning Landry might be impossible considering our cap situation.

Even if the Jets don't lock in Revis for an extension after next season they can always sign another good CB in 2014 when they have more cap room. Even Nnamdi who is still a top 10 CB will be available for a mid-round pick in 2014 and the money he'll be owed won't be anything close to what Revis will cost. Aso and Cro is still a pretty damn good duo at CB.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocajetfan68 View Post
    In no way am I a cap guy and rely on guys like you to make the numbers work. but one statment by you needs to be looked at "MUCH cheaper at ILB once Harris' deal is gone" Tanny tried this at Guard and Tackle and result was a disaster. Cheaper and Better are not always a possability. To get better at the areas of need the Jets will have to spend more at those positions which throw an unknown number into the equastion. Sure some upgrade can come from the draft but those players would most likely take 2 or 3 years to develop. Took Revis several years to become the player he is. Good to very good player in his first 3 years dominent after that.
    ILB is a much easier spot to fill than CB ... I hear what you're saying about the O Line (Adrien Clarke ... shudder! ). But we have to be able to get better value than $13m for Harris. At a guess you could get 90% of his current production for about 50% of the cap cost there. That saving could get you a damned good guard or right tackle this coming year. Or help us keep Landry. Think Landry would walk away if we offered him $6.5m?

Sadly we're locked in on Harris this year ... but after that, no more crazy money for ILB's.

If we trade Revis, it would be one of the VERY STUPIDEST THINGS this franchise has ever done, perhaps the very most stupid. Okay, let's say we get a number one and a number 2. And let's be realistic -- supposed the one and two turn into the modern day equivalents of Roger Vick and Terry Williams?????

You know, to trade a proven all pro/HOF type player for two measly draft picks is just stupidity. If you trade him, it has to be for a king's ransom (a la Herschel Walker -- and he wasn't even that good in the NFL).

But I think the whole process of building a team is to find and grow more players like Revis, not trade them in their primes. Trade D'Brick. Trade Mangold. Trade Cromartie. But don't trade one of the best to ever play his position.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RChiocchi View Post
    If we trade Revis, it would be one of the VERY STUPIDEST THINGS this franchise has ever done, perhaps the very most stupid. Okay, let's say we get a number one and a number 2. And let's be realistic -- supposed the one and two turn into the modern day equivalents of Roger Vick and Terry Williams?????

You know, to trade a proven all pro/HOF type player for two measly draft picks is just stupidity. If you trade him, it has to be for a king's ransom (a la Herschel Walker -- and he wasn't even that good in the NFL).

But I think the whole process of building a team is to find and grow more players like Revis, not trade them in their primes. Trade D'Brick. Trade Mangold. Trade Cromartie. But don't trade one of the best to ever play his position.

Don't worry. I don't think they will get enough value and prob won't end up trading him. He is too injury prone for a lot of teams to be willing to give 2 number 1 picks.

All Pro
    2 and 3 are really non-options imo

2 is not a option because his name is meavis not revis and will not settle for anything to help the team.

3 is not a option because i do not see any team that is stupid and willing enough to do.

so that only leaves one real option which is trade him for the best offer you can get and move on.

Dump Darelle for Johnny Manziel.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RChiocchi View Post

and what if Revis is not the same as he was pre-injury? Then we get nothing for him and still pay him big bucks?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekc View Post
    Dump Darelle for Johnny Manziel.
    HAHAHA WHat?