Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 69

Thread: Mangini Potentially to the Saints

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Our view of history is different. We had cap issues, yes, we were not "void of talent". Mangini had one lucky year, and that was that. His decision making was worse than Rex's.

    Again, former Jet obsession syndrome, the same disease that has fans thinking Braylon Edwards is a legit #1 WR and Danny Woodhead is a legit #1 RB in the NFL, and Kerry Rhodes is the best Safety in the NFL, leads some to view Mangini's horrifi failure of an era here, failure of an era in Cleveland, and failure in NEw England, as all having never happened.....because he made two comments they agreed with on ESPN.

    You line up Mangini, I'll line up Rex. I know who wins that 9 times out of ten, and it isn't Mr. Wanna-be-Bellichek It's a Process.

    I'll say it again, cause I said it then, Herm would have had the same success Mangini had, and a real legit Coach would have had far more, all other things being equal. Mangini was a failure here.
    Name the talent Mangini inheritted.

    Rex inheritted arguably the best Offensive line in football (mangold, woody, brick, faneca, and moore), a top 10 running back in Thomas Jones, Revis, Cotchery, Keller, Leon Washington, Jenkins, Rhodes, Pace and Thomas who were younger and productive.

    Now compare that to the empty cupboard that Herm left Mangini.

    Talk about revisionist history

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Name the talent Mangini inheritted.

    Now compare that to the empty cupboard that Herm left Mangini.

    Talk about revisionist history
    Perhaps you and I cross posted. But that question has already been answered.

    The answer is "pretty much every top producing payer in Mangini's first year other than a retired Curtis Martin".

    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Teams Most Productive Players Under Mangini (2006):

    QB -- Pennington
    Leader Rushers -- Leon Washington, Cedric Houston
    Leading Recievers -- Lav. Coles, Cotchery, McCariens, Baker (TE)
    Leading Tacklers -- Rhodes, Barton, Coleman, Vilma
    Leading INT's -- Rhodes, Dyson, Barrett

    Teams Most Productive Players Under Herm (2005):

    QB -- Pennington
    Leading Rushers -- Curtis Martin, Cedric Houston
    Leading Recievers -- Lav. Coles, McCariens, Jolly/Baker (TE), Cotchery
    Leading Tacklers -- Vilma, Rhodes, Coleman, Hobson
    Leading INT's -- Law, Barrett, Coleman

    Going down the list, it sure looks to me like the best players, producing the most, on Mangini's 2006 team were core players of Herm's 2005 4 win team.

    And we have no idea if Mangini would have stayed with the one glaring difference....Curtis Martin....had he stayed and not retired. Given Mangini's penchant for Veterans, I have no doubt Martin would have started in 2006 as well, if he was healthy.

    So tell me again about how "void of talent" we were, and all the great talent Mangini brought it.....cause it sure looks like 2006 was almost name for name where it counts, production, a clone of Herm's 2005 team.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Perhaps you and I cross posted. But that question has already been answered.

    The answer is "pretty much every top producing payer in Mangini's first year other than a retired Curtis Martin".
    Leon Washington was a mangini pick.

    So th talent Mangini inheritted was Coles, Cotchery, vilma, rhodes, barton and ty law.
    Compare thatto the talent i listed that Rex inherrited from mangini ( i forgot to include david harris a mangini pick) .
    Thanks for proving my point that Rex inheritted a talentedteam and Mangini got garbage

  4. #44
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCroatian View Post
    I think whatever job Mangini gets next... he will end up excelling at greatly.

    The only thing I dont like about it is we would lose quite possibly the best and most intelligent ESPN football analyst that they have on staff. His breakdowns are pure football, not allegory or general fodder.
    Quoted for truth

    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I miss the Mangenius.

    I miss the Fat Rex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    +1

  5. #45
    Mangina is a good db coach. That's about it.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Leon Washington was a mangini pick.

    So th talent Mangini inheritted was Coles, Cotchery, vilma, rhodes, barton and ty law.
    Compare thatto the talent i listed that Rex inherrited from mangini ( i forgot to include david harris a mangini pick) .
    Thanks for proving my point that Rex inheritted a talentedteam and Mangini got garbage
    Rex took the same defense that Mangini had and turned it into top 5 with aggressive playcalling and lighting a fuse under Sione Pouha. Pouha was garbage with Mangini - Rex turned him into a borderline all-pro and our best defensive player after Revis.

    As far as personnel moves why are we attributing everything to the coaches? You think Tom Coughlin calls all the shots for the Giants? Hells no it's the Generl Manager Jerry Reese. Ditto for the Jets.

    And what is up with people acting like 2006-2008 was the golden age of Jets drafting? Vernon Gholston, Anthony Schlegel, Kellen Clemens, Eric and Brad Smith all say hello.



    Our last 2 drafts were actually decent. Wilkerson should have made the pro bowl this season and Coples is the real deal and thank God we picked him over Melvin Ingram.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 01-26-2013 at 02:38 PM.

  7. #47
    Mangini is a good talent evaluator.

    As said above, he may not have known how to be a head coach when he was here.

    He has the makings of a good coach, unfortunately, his situation in NY wasn't conducive to that.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Mangini is a good talent evaluator.

    As said above, he may not have known how to be a head coach when he was here.

    He has the makings of a good coach, unfortunately, his situation in NY wasn't conducive to that.
    He didn't know how to be a good coach in Cleveland either. He's a disaster. Some Jets fans still to this day overrate him.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    It's funny to see a pretty level-headed guy like yourself all riled up. Having the cheater on your team is ok but the guy who called him out on it shouldn't have a job?

    Gotcha.
    I am not riled up at all.

    I am not saying he should not have a job, Good luck to him in his career persuits, I don't care one way or the other. I just made the observation that any HC or organization has to be 100% sure nothing is ever done wrong if he is an employee, because he has shown he will turn on his old team. Like i said, it may be a hire by Payton to show the league the team has nothing to hide. The guy is a excellent Def back coach and IMO would be a excellent def co-od. Why don't you think he was ever hired for an assistant coach position in three off-seasons? The longer this guy stays out the harder it will be for him to get back in.
    Last edited by patman; 01-26-2013 at 05:25 PM.

  10. #50
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,278
    Quote Originally Posted by DanNamath View Post
    Slight exaggeration. He wasn't top shelf, but the potential was there. He definitely was fired too soon, Rex love or not. The year Pennington went down, didn't help him either. He won't name any other kids after FA mercenary QB's anymore. He won't tell any organizational secrets anymore. The stint at ESPN has probably done wonders for him in terms of self reflection. He'll learn from past mistakes.

    Only in America....
    I agree with your assessment. Mangini learned a lot from coaching here, and Cleveland. We all learn from our mistakes.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Teams Most Productive Players Under Mangini (2006):

    QB -- Pennington
    Leader Rushers -- Leon Washington, Cedric Houston
    Leading Recievers -- Lav. Coles, Cotchery, McCariens, Baker (TE)
    Leading Tacklers -- Rhodes, Barton, Coleman, Vilma
    Leading INT's -- Rhodes, Dyson, Barrett

    Teams Most Productive Players Under Herm (2005):

    QB -- Pennington
    Leading Rushers -- Curtis Martin, Cedric Houston
    Leading Recievers -- Lav. Coles, McCariens, Jolly/Baker (TE), Cotchery
    Leading Tacklers -- Vilma, Rhodes, Coleman, Hobson
    Leading INT's -- Law, Barrett, Coleman

    Going down the list, it sure looks to me like the best players, producing the most, on Mangini's 2006 team were core players of Herm's 2005 4 win team.

    And we have no idea if Mangini would have stayed with the one glaring difference....Curtis Martin....had he stayed and not retired. Given Mangini's penchant for Veterans, I have no doubt Martin would have started in 2006 as well, if he was healthy.

    So tell me again about how "void of talent" we were, and all the great talent Mangini brought it.....cause it sure looks like 2006 was almost name for name where it counts, production, a clone of Herm's 2005 team.
    Hah? So you're saying that because Mangini took the same team that Herm Edwards won 4 games with the previous year and ended up winning 10 with in his first year, that therefore Mangini was only equal, if not worse than Herman Edwards? Am I getting that straight?

  12. #52
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,759
    Mangini was a casualty of MetLife Stadium. He never got half the mulligans that Rex has.

    He will try to rebuild his reputation in New Orleans. He seems like the type of guy that learns from his mistakes. I think his time at ESPN has helped him develop a personality and learn to work with people.

  13. #53
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    From Parts Unknown
    Posts
    10,323
    ANTHONY Schlegal. lol

  14. #54
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,415
    I obviously hope this doesn't happen but a 3-13, 4-12 type season in 2013 would put Rex's w/l record pretty close to Mangini's. Not saying that Mangini was a great hc but Rex really isn't either. We just finished in last place behind the Dolphins and Bills (!) and could be in for a rough upcoming season. Rex has a lot to prove, I wouldn't even classify him as a good coach right now.

  15. #55
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,695
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    And they thought Williams thru Payton under the bus to Godell, mangini would rat out his wife.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    ANTHONY Schlegal. lol
    Mangini's a great talent evaluator. I tell ya.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Mangini was a casualty of MetLife Stadium. He never got half the mulligans that Rex has.

    He will try to rebuild his reputation in New Orleans. He seems like the type of guy that learns from his mistakes. I think his time at ESPN has helped him develop a personality and learn to work with people.
    Mulligans? Rex won 2 more playoff games his first year as Jets HC then Mangenius won during his entire 5 years as an NFL HC.

  18. #58
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,695
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Mangini's a great talent evaluator. I tell ya.
    So he doesn't get credit for

    Ferguson
    Mangold
    Leon Washington
    Brad Smith
    Revis
    Harris

    ??

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    So he doesn't get credit for

    Ferguson
    Mangold
    Leon Washington
    Brad Smith
    Revis
    Harris

    ??
    Ferg. and Manghold were Best Available in their draft classes at positions of need. You don't get bonus points when those work out.

    Leon Washington is a JAG kickoff return specialist (i.e. McKnight)

    Brad Smith was useful, in a minor way, if you liked the Wildcat.

    Revis was a great choice. As was Harris. Obvious choices too, but still.

    Remind me tho, didn't he also draft Ghost, another BAP , inthe first? Seems like Mangini pretty mcuh went with consensus players in the first, and hit on many of them. But they were still consensus picks. Not exactly shocker picks who worked out.

    So, outside obvious BAP #1 picks, how did Mangini "The Evaluator" do? Surelywe have a dozen+ starters from the rest of his drafts right? Kellen Clemens leading us to the Super Bowl in 2013, amirite?

    Agree to disagree I guess.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Plus 10 ... He was just not ready to be a HC when we had him. Awesome football acumen. He will return to being a HC eventually ... And I think he will be very very good.
    100% agree. Mangini has the brains and the work ethic to be a really good HC. He was somewhat ruined by the BB influence and all the early success. He thought BB's way was the only way.

    Some day in the next 5-8 years, after a stint or two at DC, or even some higher executive title, Mangini will find a good place to land and he will do a good job.

    Not looking to fight with anyone here, but the guy drafted some really good players for both the Jets and the Browns. No fights, please. Just my opinion.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us