Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: So, Mark Sanchez and a slew of Burn outs have cost us Revis?(merged REVIS x 100)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    because Revis is 100X the player R.A. Dickey is and Jet fans have become enamored with him....
    Not comparing them as players. Simply the strategy. Clearly a starting pitcher, who takes the mound every 5th day, who has accomplished as much as Dickey, is close to a zero risk of arm injury, AND was not trying to hold the Mets up for tons of dough in his contract negotiations, is worth signing and having on your team. Right? Unless your team has tons of holes and you stand to gain more as a team by a trade than you do by signing the player.

In this instance, the Jets get two things by trading Revis: 1) salary cap relief; and 2) players/picks.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will people please stop *****ing about the bad contracts we have. Yes, you're right, it would have been better to put the money into someone who has done something to earn it. But the contracts are there, they are legal and enforceable and so we have to keep paying them to people who might not be earning them. We shouldn't have done the contracts for Holmes, Harris, Sanches etc. the way we did. You are 100% right, but we did, and that is what it is. Let's move on from the woulda's and shoulda's.

Now let's deal with reality. Revis is a one year rental for next year. He has to play for us next year or his contract is extended for three more years and no way does he want to have that happen. We will not be able to afford him in '14 without crippling the team. Someone with lots of cap room is going to make a silly offer we can't (and shouldn't) match. The question we have to deal with is: Is Revis for one season worth what we could get in a trade? That is the only question that matters.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Well then he will need to go to FA and prove that he is the same player that he was. After being the star of stage and screen in NY, will he be happier making 2 mill more a year in Cinci or Indy or KC. I think he has an ego, do you thing he will be happy with his name being mentioned with the great players in the game as often as Tamba Hali?

IMO there is not team out there that is going to give him 6 and 75 without him playing for a year on that leg. They might not be Revis, but no GM is going to get fired for signing, Grimes, DRC, Cason, Jenkins, Derek Cox, Gary Williams, Talib or any one of the other #1 corners out there, while not Revis at least they would cost 1/2 the price and not cost any picks. No GM wants to get fired, they want to win, but they rather have a job. A gm that gives a #1 pick and revis misses anytime after being paid 35 mill SB and 15 mill a year will be updating his resume in January.
    The one crazy place and I know it is in division is Miami,they have the cap room and even more future yrs,they need cbs (traded Davis and Smith is free-agent) and have extra draft picks

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    When was the last time you remember a marquee player getting traded for draft picks where the team that traded the all-pro made out like a bandit? Revis is a proven commodity and under contract next year. This is exactly why we brought Idzik in, let him shake the tree and see what happens. Bottom line, the trade talk is a bunch of hot air until someone makes us an offer we can't refuse (which is highly unlikely). If you were a new GM, would you trade a franchise player in your first year on the job for unknown commodities? A more realistic possibility however is that Revis holds out and we resign him to an extension. He is only due 3 million next year, which is not a huge hit, if you can resign him and somehow keep next years contact close to 3 million it can balloon once Sanchez is off of the books after next year. Trust me, Revis Island will be in East Rutherford for awhile.
    Last edited by Jeff144man; 01-26-2013 at 09:17 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I agree. Houston got JJ Watt . He is a difference maker.
    I'll take any star front 7 defensive player, over a star CB, that can dominate the game with sacks and pressures. Someone that can frequently penetrate into the opponent's backfield...and blow up the offense all by himself.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff144man View Post
    When was the last time you remember a marquee player getting traded for draft picks where the team that traded the all-pro made out like a bandit? Revis is a proven commodity and under contract next year. This is exactly why we brought Idzik in, let him shake the tree and see what happens. Bottom line, the trade talk is a bunch of hot air until someone makes us an offer we can't refuse (which is highly unlikely). If you were a new GM, would you trade a franchise player in your first year on the job for unknown commodities? A more realistic possibility however is that Revis holds out and we resign him to an extension. He is only due 3 million next year, which is not a huge hit, if you can resign him and somehow keep next years contact close to 3 million it can balloon once Sanchez is off of the books after next year. Trust me, Revis Island will be in East Rutherford for awhile.
    Revis makes $9M next year. Then he's a free agent. Those last three years only apply if he doesn't show up for training camp in August. (0% chance of that happening)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Am I understanding this correctly? We're actually going to have to trade the best defensive player in the NFL - one of our best draft stories ever - because we've locked up too much money in Sh*tchez and a bunch of stupid name-contracts?
    Correct. Its not like the idiots on this board who think you cant have a CB as your highest paid player think it is. You can have an elite number #1 corner and have enough money left over to have a good pass rush as well. But you cant have a high paying CB, DL, and on top of that a grossly overpaid QB, WR, and LB.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice thought, not going to happen in today's NFL. What will happen is, we will get two nice picks, dare I hope, a one and a two at best. A one and a three at worst. There is no way with the situation as it stand now, that the Jets are going to pay Revis. So why even try, get what you can NOW, save the grief and heartache and the circus show it will be all next season in the media. An you know those buttheads will make it show. Thanks Revis for many years of service, now enjoy ?????? and being the highest paid defensive player in the NFL.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Am I understanding this correctly? We're actually going to have to trade the best defensive player in the NFL - one of our best draft stories ever - because we've locked up too much money in Sh*tchez and a bunch of stupid name-contracts?
    That plus one of the best defensive players in the NFL and one of our best draft stories ever is unwilling to play unless he is the highest paid defensive player in the NFL.

You have to not only be willing to pay the rest of your team like scrubs, you probably have to have lots of scrubs on your team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Revis makes $9M next year. Then he's a free agent. Those last three years only apply if he doesn't show up for training camp in August. (0% chance of that happening)
    Revis is due to be paid $6m next year ($3m base, $3m bonuses). Plus the cap hit from his signing bonus is $3m, so total cap hit = $9m.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    That plus one of the best defensive players in the NFL and one of our best draft stories ever is unwilling to play unless he is the highest paid defensive player in the NFL.

You have to not only be willing to pay the rest of your team like scrubs, you probably have to have lots of scrubs on your team.
    Sanchez, Holmes, Harris, Brick aren't getting paid like scrubs. That's the problem.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

KEEP REVIS

There is enough pressure on a top pick QB to pan out when you consider the draft position and/or if you had to trade up for the pick. In a 'normal' situation, there is a lot invested in the pick with heavy ramifications on the franchise.

We DO NOT need the added pressure of a draft pick working out by the trade of our best player for the pick.

DO NOT TRADE REVIS.

I am a 43 year old Jets fan who has witnessed not only some of the worst draft mistakes but worse yet, more often than not with this franchise.

We finally get a pick right and now we want to cash it in for extra picks. That's like finding a way give your wife extra money only to know it will spent away for 'lord know's what' before you get your first bank statement back!

The Revis pick has netted the best player at his position. And, it's the Jets. From all accounts, he's a solid citizen. There are no DUIs, drug possession arrests, domestic disputes, six wives, 10 kids.... You get my point.

Don't eat the BS that's being served for breakfast, that he's a malcontent for his large contract demands. This is not baseball. There IS a salary cap and all contracts with EVERY team must fit within its parameters.

He's deserves to get paid fair market value for being one of the best defenders in the league. We got a new GM whose specialty is contracts. Let him figure the contract details out while being cap-friendly in rebuilding this team.

I can't believe they would bring in Idzik only to get rid of the Revis contract. That's like hiring the best trial attorney only to make every effort to settle and avoid court time where the guy makes his living.

I have to believe this 'trade' talk is posturing to help Idzik get this deal done. I don't see how you get better giving away your best player. The reason why he 'costs so much' is because the Jets actually got a pick RIGHT.

This is not a 'personnel' guy that's going to parlay Revis into multiple draft picks that has the proven track record to make the right selections, ie, Dave Caldwell, Gamble, Pollian, etc...

Idzik's first order of business should be to cut all the underperforming players that help our cap, resign Revis, and bring in competition at QB. Let Mornigweg figure out whose best to lead the Jets on offense, Sanchez, a 'Matt Moore,' etc.. If Sanchez fails to perform, cut him next year and look to draft a QB in the 2014 draft which will be 'QB Stronger.'

KEEP REVIS. Don't believe the HYPE.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    i agree.

you build a team with players like revis.

there are other worthless players on this team making more money than they should be.

david harris needs his contract restructured.

the new gm needs to sit down with revis and try and restructure his deal to make it favorable for everyone and retire him a jet.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    simply, revis is going to want more money than the jets can afford. as a matter of fact he'l want more than just about any team can afford. maybe the colts can sign him. maybe kc. don't know about seattle or sf. a successful veteran team will be close to their cap. maybe they can shed players to sign revis but will they still be successful?

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    i agree.

there are other worthless players on this team making more money than they should be.

david harris needs his contract restructured.

the new gm needs to sit down with revis and try and restructure his deal to make it favorable for everyone and retire him a jet.
    Even if we offer Revis $14-$15 million per year why do you think he will just accept it? He doesn't have to, he has all of the leverage since he can't be franchise tagged. If you are in Revis' position wouldn't you want to prove that you are 100% healthy and then let half the league bid on you and let your salary sky rocket? Doesn't that make the most sense? It's obvious that Revis is a money person first and a team person second. We've seen that twice already from holdouts. So why would he even negotiate with the Jets when they have no leverage? His agents could just say to the Jets, "he will sign when you offer him a 6 year deal north of $96 million, otherwise he won't re-sign".

If the Jets don't trade him he will walk away from this team as fast as he can and the same guys who are saying to sign him now will be pissed that we lost him for nothing. You either trade him at some point before he hits free agency or you get nothing for him and he won't back. He has no loyalty to this team.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    First, Caldwell and gamble have no proven track record as you state.

Second, you cannot look at current bad deals as the reason to make the right deal with revis, they have nothing to do with each other.

Third, you cannot base logic on past draft selections as a reason to sign revis. Again, past failures have nothing to do with this.

This is business 101. There is zero emotion in business.
    Paying a corner over 15-16 mil. Per year is bad business. That is not the model for a successful team.
    You offer revis a fair market deal. If he accepts, great. If not, goodbye.

I am also 43 and do not want another bad contract on my team that will handcuff the franchise from filling all their spots with quality players.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post

No you don't.

The good/great teams build a defense from the inside out, not the outside in.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankdds View Post
    There is enough pressure on a top pick QB to pan out when you consider the draft position and/or if you had to trade up for the pick. In a 'normal' situation, there is a lot invested in the pick with heavy ramifications on the franchise.

We DO NOT need the added pressure of a draft pick working out by the trade of our best player for the pick.

DO NOT TRADE REVIS.

I am a 43 year old Jets fan who has witnessed not only some of the worst draft mistakes but worse yet, more often than not with this franchise.

We finally get a pick right and now we want to cash it in for extra picks. That's like finding a way give your wife extra money only to know it will spent away for 'lord know's what' before you get your first bank statement back!

The Revis pick has netted the best player at his position. And, it's the Jets. From all accounts, he's a solid citizen. There are no DUIs, drug possession arrests, domestic disputes, six wives, 10 kids.... You get my point.

Don't eat the BS that's being served for breakfast, that he's a malcontent for his large contract demands. This is not baseball. There IS a salary cap and all contracts with EVERY team must fit within its parameters.

He's deserves to get paid fair market value for being one of the best defenders in the league. We got a new GM whose specialty is contracts. Let him figure the contract details out while being cap-friendly in rebuilding this team.

I can't believe they would bring in Idzik only to get rid of the Revis contract. That's like hiring the best trial attorney only to make every effort to settle and avoid court time where the guy makes his living.

I have to believe this 'trade' talk is posturing to help Idzik get this deal done. I don't see how you get better giving away your best player. The reason why he 'costs so much' is because the Jets actually got a pick RIGHT.

This is not a 'personnel' guy that's going to parlay Revis into multiple draft picks that has the proven track record to make the right selections, ie, Dave Caldwell, Gamble, Pollian, etc...

Idzik's first order of business should be to cut all the underperforming players that help our cap, resign Revis, and bring in competition at QB. Let Mornigweg figure out whose best to lead the Jets on offense, Sanchez, a 'Matt Moore,' etc.. If Sanchez fails to perform, cut him next year and look to draft a QB in the 2014 draft which will be 'QB Stronger.'

51 years Old Jet fan.. I have witnessed it all...... I could not agree with you more!!!!! This guy is considered a top 5 to 10 player in league.. He is HOF caliber type player...... I have no issues with gauging market.. but when it comes down to it you retain HOF caliber talent...... this guy performs big and big against the best wr's in the game...

The Media , at times , is sickening.. keep them in perspective..... Frankly, they need to be smacked around a bit... Parcells style....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankdds View Post

DO NOT TRADE REVIS.

Someone's been reading too much Daily News, go read John Idzik's profile somewhere and then delete this statement.

In regards to Revis, let's say he does not want a "cap friendly" deal. Let's say he wants what he feels he is worth and he demands Mario Williams money (6 years 96 mil, 40-50 mil guaranteed), do you break the bank for him knowing that you will never be able to afford a pass rush or elite weapons on offense for as long as Revis is a Jet?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    First, Caldwell and gamble have no proven track record as you state.

Second, you cannot look at current bad deals as the reason to make the right deal with revis, they have nothing to do with each other.

Third, you cannot base logic on past draft selections as a reason to sign revis. Again, past failures have nothing to do with this.

This is business 101. There is zero emotion in business.
    Paying a corner over 15-16 mil. Per year is bad business. That is not the model for a successful team.
    You offer revis a fair market deal. If he accepts, great. If not, goodbye.

I am also 43 and do not want another bad contract on my team that will handcuff the franchise from filling all their spots with quality players.
    Wow you really nailed it.

The OP is the typical Jets fan who follows too much mainstream media. "He's not a drug user, DUIer, ten kid having guy like the rest of our players". Really you are buying that crap from the media that the Jets are a bunch of circus convicts? Look up the arrest records from other teams. The Jets are good samaritans in comparison.

This hero worship has got to stop. This is a business. The goal of football is not to have the most players inducted into the hall of fame. It's to field a competitive team that can win a championship. When one player's salary at a non essential position HURTS THAT GOAL, it's see ya later.