Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 481

Thread: So, Mark Sanchez and a slew of Burn outs have cost us Revis?(merged REVIS x 100)

  1. #281
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    In this situation...yeah.

    I'm 100% right.

    Anyone with a functional brain should be able to put two and two together.

    It's been reported by everyone and their mother for the past two years that Revis is looking to become the highest paid defensive player in football history.

    But now he's suddenly going to drastically lower his demands?

    Yeah, okay.
    I know. What was I thinking.

  2. #282
    Quote Originally Posted by RChiocchi View Post
    Did the Giants try to trade Lawrence Taylor in his prime?
    Did the Bears try to trade Sayers or Butkus in their primes?
    Did the Steelers try to trade Joe Greene or Jack Lambert in their primes?
    Did the 49ers try to trade Jerry Rice in his prime?
    Have the Vikings tried to trade AP in his prime?
    Have the Lions tried to trade Megatron in his prime?
    Has Houston tried to trade Andre Johnson in his prime?

    Hopefully that makes my point......

    JET FANS, HEAR THIS, LISTEN TO THIS:

    THE PROBLEM WITH THE JETS IS NOT REVIS, IT'S ALMOST EVERYONE ELSE BESIDES REVIS (Who knows with a healthy Revis, we might have been better than 6-10 -- even with a lousy performing QB -- because of his play and locker room leadership!)
    Like Savage already mentioned, most of your list consists of players from an era long gone.
    The other players are point makers, they touch the ball several times per game and score points.
    Their teams were also in different cap scenarios than the Jets.
    The Jets are not close to a sb.
    The Jets need to find cap relief and stay there for good.
    The Jets have no talent on offense that can score points.
    The new NFL is geared towards scoring points.

    I could go on but the subject is already played out and boring.

  3. #283
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    45,078
    Quote Originally Posted by RChiocchi View Post
    Some Questions:

    Was it Revis who made the decision to not bring in a viable NFL-type backup QB to compete with Sanchez?

    Was it Revis who gave Sanchez a completely unnecessary, unjustified contract?

    Was it Revis who didn't re-sign Braylon Edwards when he could have been had at a favorable number?

    Was it Revis who didn't draft a legit pass rushing OLB over the last several years?

    Was it Revis who caused Cotchery to want to leave?

    Was it Revis who signed Wayne Hunter + Eric Smith to rediculous contracts?

    YEAH, BUT TRADING REVIS WILL MAKE ALL THAT GO AWAY.....
    Was it Revis that held out twice and wants to be the highest paid defensive player?? Er.. Yes..

  4. #284
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankdds View Post
    There is enough pressure on a top pick QB to pan out when you consider the draft position and/or if you had to trade up for the pick. In a 'normal' situation, there is a lot invested in the pick with heavy ramifications on the franchise.

    We DO NOT need the added pressure of a draft pick working out by the trade of our best player for the pick.

    DO NOT TRADE REVIS.

    I am a 43 year old Jets fan who has witnessed not only some of the worst draft mistakes but worse yet, more often than not with this franchise.

    We finally get a pick right and now we want to cash it in for extra picks. That's like finding a way give your wife extra money only to know it will spent away for 'lord know's what' before you get your first bank statement back!

    The Revis pick has netted the best player at his position. And, it's the Jets. From all accounts, he's a solid citizen. There are no DUIs, drug possession arrests, domestic disputes, six wives, 10 kids.... You get my point.

    Don't eat the BS that's being served for breakfast, that he's a malcontent for his large contract demands. This is not baseball. There IS a salary cap and all contracts with EVERY team must fit within its parameters.

    He's deserves to get paid fair market value for being one of the best defenders in the league. We got a new GM whose specialty is contracts. Let him figure the contract details out while being cap-friendly in rebuilding this team.

    I can't believe they would bring in Idzik only to get rid of the Revis contract. That's like hiring the best trial attorney only to make every effort to settle and avoid court time where the guy makes his living.

    I have to believe this 'trade' talk is posturing to help Idzik get this deal done. I don't see how you get better giving away your best player. The reason why he 'costs so much' is because the Jets actually got a pick RIGHT.

    This is not a 'personnel' guy that's going to parlay Revis into multiple draft picks that has the proven track record to make the right selections, ie, Dave Caldwell, Gamble, Pollian, etc...

    Idzik's first order of business should be to cut all the underperforming players that help our cap, resign Revis, and bring in competition at QB. Let Mornigweg figure out whose best to lead the Jets on offense, Sanchez, a 'Matt Moore,' etc.. If Sanchez fails to perform, cut him next year and look to draft a QB in the 2014 draft which will be 'QB Stronger.'

    KEEP REVIS. Don't believe the HYPE.
    I agre

  5. #285
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Hey, if Revis would be willing to sign for $12-13 million per (which would still make him the highest paid DB in NFL history), then I'd say lock him up.

    But $16 million per?

    LOL

    Send his ass packing to the highest bidder.

    You guys in the "pay Revis whatever he wants" camp are f*cking goofy.

    Sorry, I'm not interested in giving a CB a contract on par with the best QB's in the game today. How anyone can condone that is beyond me.

    Where the hell do we draw the line with this guy and say enough is enough?

    You know that even if we make Revis the highest paid defensive player in history, he'll eventually come back to the bargaining table 2-3 years down the road.

    I say get a couple of hight draft picks in return, free up a boatload of money in the future, and fix this abortion of an offense.
    Whether Jets fans like it or not..Revis will be traded ASAP. Darelle will not settle for highest paid CB in the league. Revis wants Mario Williams money. Jets are not going to pay him as if he was the best pass rushing sack Beast in the NFL...constantly penetrating into the backfield, and blowing up offenses all by himself. Nor pay him as if he was a franchise QB.

    Idzik was brought in as new GM to prevent the Jets giving out bad contracts. Not to continue making them. To continue compounding one bad contract after another, means that for the next 5-6 years, the only thing worthy on the Jets is to watch Revis play CB...and other teams hoisting the Lombardi Trophy.

    Again...Revis will end up being traded, and emotional fans will just have to live with it.

  6. #286
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    8,455
    Luckily for us these emotional, closeminded, "OMG no f'n way can you trade Revis because he is GOD" fans aren't running this organization.

    Like it or not guys Idzik is running the show and for him to even consider trading Revis at this point early in his tenure shows that he is levelheaded enough to make the right decisions for the betterment of the franchise AS A WHOLE, not so that we can say "Hey we have the best CB that ever walked the earth on our team, how about you?"

    Trade him for multiple picks and give Idzik some ammo to build this team. Make him earn his money buy drafting the right players. Building a contender involves some risk in the draft. It is mindboggling that some of you would rather watch a mediocre at best team with the best CB on the planet then have a shot a building a contender.

    S.O.J.F.

  7. #287
    Quote Originally Posted by blue eyed devil View Post
    hasnt revis made close to $40m over the past 3 seasons?
    And he'll still hold out and tell the world he needs to "feed his family".

    Can't buy many meals nowadays with $40 mil.

  8. #288
    Quote Originally Posted by RChiocchi View Post
    Some Questions:

    Was it Revis who made the decision to not bring in a viable NFL-type backup QB to compete with Sanchez?

    Was it Revis who gave Sanchez a completely unnecessary, unjustified contract?

    Was it Revis who didn't re-sign Braylon Edwards when he could have been had at a favorable number?

    Was it Revis who didn't draft a legit pass rushing OLB over the last several years?

    Was it Revis who caused Cotchery to want to leave?

    Was it Revis who signed Wayne Hunter + Eric Smith to rediculous contracts?

    YEAH, BUT TRADING REVIS WILL MAKE ALL THAT GO AWAY.....
    No, it won't make it go away, but...getting good value (if we can) will help. Just getting the picks isn't the answer. Getting good picks and making good choices with them, then being lucky enough for them to work out, will make some of that go away. As much as I'd love to keep, let's face it...he's a luxury we probably can't afford.

  9. #289
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Whether Jets fans like it or not..Revis will be traded ASAP. Darelle will not settle for highest paid CB in the league. Revis wants Mario Williams money. Jets are not going to pay him as if he was the best pass rushing sack Beast in the NFL...constantly penetrating into the backfield, and blowing up offenses all by himself. Nor pay him as if he was a franchise QB.

    Idzik was brought in as new GM to prevent the Jets giving out bad contracts. Not to continue making them. To continue compounding one bad contract after another, means that for the next 5-6 years, the only thing worthy on the Jets is to watch Revis play CB...and other teams hoisting the Lombardi Trophy.

    Again...Revis will end up being traded, and emotional fans will just have to live with it.
    Excellent point.

    Ironic that some fans trashing the contracts of Santonio Holmes and Mark Sanchez are now the ones that want to dish out $100+ million to Revis.

    Obviously we're dealing with a far different, far more elite caliber of player. But in the Not For Long league that is the NFL, who knows how bad a contract like that could kill us a couple years from now.

    It's typically almost a guarantee that Revis or anyone else paid big money will not and does not live up to the length of their contract.

  10. #290
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    45,078
    Last July at the start of training camp who can forget the Drama.. From the NYT...

    Something’s going to happen sooner or later, in terms of my future with the team,” Revis said. “Like I said, I want to be here.”

    The Jets, to be sure, feel the same way about him. They just had no intention of revising a deal that they realized was a compromise — a Band-Aid, both sides agreed — but that still paid Revis $32.5 million over the last two seasons. Revis said his representatives approached General Manager Mike Tannenbaum about reworking the contract but were told, “We’ll deal with it later.”

    “I never said I was unhappy about my contract,” Revis said. “I know what I signed a couple years ago. There were talks a couple years ago about a Band-Aid, and that was that. And now we’re here, and we have to move forward.”

  11. #291
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bound Brook
    Posts
    2,497
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    F-ing Bean Counters.....

    Revis will be our highest paid player, period, and should be. After next year, we won't have a QB making HUGE, Mark Sanchez type money, so we will be able to afford him.



    Think for yourself. Don't let Ditka, Meshawn and the panel speak for you. Use that noodle upstairs
    lol. You say Sanchez is making HUGE money but Revis wants DOUBLE that per year.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

  12. #292
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Bronx, USA
    Posts
    4,875
    Join me on the trade Cro bandwagon!

  13. #293
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    8,455
    Quote Originally Posted by RChiocchi View Post
    Did the Giants try to trade Lawrence Taylor in his prime?
    No because they already had a contending team in place, also this is a different salary cap era. Also he is a pass rusher and not a CB.

    Did the Bears try to trade Sayers or Butkus in their primes?
    No because they already had a contending team in place, also this is a different salary cap era, also both are not CB's

    Did the Steelers try to trade Joe Greene or Jack Lambert in their primes?
    No because they had a contending team in place, also Both of these guys are not CB's

    Did the 49ers try to trade Jerry Rice in his prime?
    No because they already had a contending team in place, and a HOF QB why would they trade his weapon away, who also happens to be a Hall of famer himself.

    Have the Vikings tried to trade AP in his prime?
    No because AP is not a CB, and actually has a much larger impact on the game because he can actually put points on the board, unlike revis who can only eliminate one weapon.

    Have the Lions tried to trade Megatron in his prime?
    No because they already have a top 10 QB in place and Megatron makes the team that much more deadly. Megatron also has a much larger impact on the game because he can actually score points.

    Has Houston tried to trade Andre Johnson in his prime?
    No because they already have a contending team in place and Andre Johnson is a WR who has a major impact on the game compared to a CB.

    Hopefully that makes my point......
    No it doesn't. The guys you mentioned, A) Don't play CB B) Were apart of contending teams C) Are worth max contracts because of the position they play and the impact they have on a game.

    The Jets have a HOF caliber CB, without a QB, Pass rush, and Weapons on offense.

    JET FANS, HEAR THIS, LISTEN TO THIS:

    THE PROBLEM WITH THE JETS IS NOT REVIS, IT'S ALMOST EVERYONE ELSE BESIDES REVIS
    This is correct, however you don't solve this problem by paying Revis, you solve it by replacing everyone else. The only why you can replace everyone else is by trading Revis and not giving him the contract he wants, so that you can have money to pay the solid player you want to bring in.

    (Who knows with a healthy Revis, we might have been better than 6-10 -- even with a lousy performing QB -- because of his play and locker room leadership!)
    The Jets record in 2012 is probably still 6-10 with a healthy Revis. Our pass defense was still 2nd in the league, and neutralizing a team's top target doesn't mean Jacksh!t if you can't score yourself.

  14. #294
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    45,078
    Abe was traded in his prime. I know he just a All Pro and not a HOF player but he's only around 10 sacks below LT who was one of the best ever..

  15. #295
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    45,078
    Quote Originally Posted by morite View Post
    No, it won't make it go away, but...getting good value (if we can) will help. Just getting the picks isn't the answer. Getting good picks and making good choices with them, then being lucky enough for them to work out, will make some of that go away. As much as I'd love to keep, let's face it...he's a luxury we probably can't afford.
    The 2000 Pat draft was nothing to write home about but they did have 3 6th rd picks and on the second of those 6 rd picks they struck gold.. You just never know.. And how many of our 4 first rounders from that draft do we still have?? 0

  16. #296
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    11,181
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    No because they already had a contending team in place, also this is a different salary cap era. Also he is a pass rusher and not a CB.



    No because they already had a contending team in place, also this is a different salary cap era, also both are not CB's



    No because they had a contending team in place, also Both of these guys are not CB's



    No because they already had a contending team in place, and a HOF QB why would they trade his weapon away, who also happens to be a Hall of famer himself.



    No because AP is not a CB, and actually has a much larger impact on the game because he can actually put points on the board, unlike revis who can only eliminate one weapon.



    No because they already have a top 10 QB in place and Megatron makes the team that much more deadly. Megatron also has a much larger impact on the game because he can actually score points.



    No because they already have a contending team in place and Andre Johnson is a WR who has a major impact on the game compared to a CB.



    No it doesn't. The guys you mentioned, A) Don't play CB B) Were apart of contending teams C) Are worth max contracts because of the position they play and the impact they have on a game.

    The Jets have a HOF caliber CB, without a QB, Pass rush, and Weapons on offense.



    This is correct, however you don't solve this problem by paying Revis, you solve it by replacing everyone else. The only why you can replace everyone else is by trading Revis and not giving him the contract he wants, so that you can have money to pay the solid player you want to bring in.



    The Jets record in 2012 is probably still 6-10 with a healthy Revis. Our pass defense was still 2nd in the league, and neutralizing a team's top target doesn't mean Jacksh!t if you can't score yourself.
    Very clearly enunciated Carlito.

    I would add to each of your "no because" points that the players in question did not have a history of wanting to be the highest paid player in the league (a) at their position and (b) possibly on their side of the ball entirely.


    Darrelle Revis has traded himself as far as I am concerned as a direct result of his contract demands. Thank God we now seem to have some sanity in the GM position such that we recognize this and we are prepared to move on.

  17. #297
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,891
    There are twelve Revis related threads on the first page. I think we should make a separate forum for these. Mods?

  18. #298
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,891
    Now there are 13! I guess we can stop when it gets to 24

  19. #299
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    What does that have to do with anything?
    Everything.

    Revis Shuts down 1 guy. If only 1 wr was allowed to line up then yeah pay Revis 15+. Unfortunately 3-4wrs is commonplace. You neutralize Revis by not throwing to his guy. Then you beat the jets by taking advantage of their inability to cover wr #3 and 4 as well as the TE. Making the money he will want means you have to sacrifice from other positions.

    He can not win you a game to the extent that a QB can.

    Peyton Manning got hurt the Colts suck ass.

    Andrew Luck gets drafted the Colts are in the playoffs.

    Revis is healthy we missed the playoffs.

    Revis is hurt we missed the playoffs.

  20. #300
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMadman View Post
    Everything.

    Revis Shuts down 1 guy. If only 1 wr was allowed to line up then yeah pay Revis 15+. Unfortunately 3-4wrs is commonplace. You neutralize Revis by not throwing to his guy. Then you beat the jets by taking advantage of their inability to cover wr #3 and 4 as well as the TE. Making the money he will want means you have to sacrifice from other positions.

    He can not win you a game to the extent that a QB can.

    Peyton Manning got hurt the Colts suck ass.

    Andrew Luck gets drafted the Colts are in the playoffs.

    Revis is healthy we missed the playoffs.

    Revis is hurt we missed the playoffs.
    You missed the point of what I meant. Just forget it

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us