Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: So, Mark Sanchez and a slew of Burn outs have cost us Revis?(merged REVIS x 100)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    A team with a huge need at CB and will have almost $50 million in cap space to work with.

There's a lot of talk that they would jump all over Milliner if he falls to #13, but that seems unlikely.

Personally, I'm all in favor of an even swap of Revis for the 13th overall pick. They get the best CB in the game with plenty of cap room to sign him longterm and we get another high 1st round pick to bolster the rest of the team.

#9: OG Chance Warmack - Alabama

#13: OLB Barkevious Mingo - LSU

Yeah, that looks nice.
    I'll ask. Anybody know if Schiano changed TBs D from the zone D they have run since Dungy? If not, Revis would be an overpaid waste playing
    primarily in a zone D.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know, some of you guys just want to be negative for the sake of being negative.

Before his injury, Revis was the best defensive player in the game and probably the best non-QB in the game.

Yes, he's not a playmaker, but he keeps playmakers from actually being playmakers.

On the other hand, would we have beaten San Diego in the playoffs without Revis's play. Probably not. When we beat NE in the playoffs wasn't it because Brady couldn't find anyone open?

REMEMBER THIS: You don't win Super Bowls by trading away great players; you win them by finding and developing great players. Yeah, trade Revis for a one and a two. And you know what? That one and two could be the modern day equivalents of Vernon Gholston and Alex Van Dyke.

Great thinking guys!!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    How does paying Revis 16 instead of 13 make the Jets unable to fix the offense? Do you guys not realize how quickly the cap and contracts move in the NFL? What high priced free agent do you plan to get with the savings of trading Revis?
    $10M is all he gets with the Jets, and I wouldn't even offer him that, I'd just find the best deal I could get for him and move him while the iron is hot. The Jets can't tie all that money up in two CB's, they need to get this offense nailed down and the Jets have seen that their defense basically did no worse without Revis there last season.

Revis is GONE.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Revis wants to be paid now, before the season. If he plays and he doesn't perform to his pre-injury levels, he's worth less in 2014 free agency. If he plays extremely well there are few teams that will consider giving him 6/96. He wants to stay in NY, also.

He doesn't care about the Jets' salary cap concerns.

He doesn't care who the Jets cut to sign him to his mega contract.

It's just business.
    I just can't see a guy making sure the Jets couldn't franchise him in 2014 and given up that right when he 12 months away from un restricted free agency.

This ACl injury isn't the career threaten injury it once was.

Disagree when it's just money and not money and picks there will be a lot more teams bidding on him in free agency ,than teams that want to trade for him.

With the tax rate in New York /New Jersey you think Revis wants to give up more of his dollars than he has to. Maybe he wants to play for hometown Steelers. who knows but I think he likes money more than playing in any state. So I don't know if anyone can say he wants to play in New York.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    I just can't see a guy making sure the Jets couldn't franchise him in 2014 and given up that right when he 12 months away from un restricted free agency.

This ACl injury isn't the career threaten injury it once was.

Disagree when it's just money and not money and picks there will be a lot more teams bidding on him in free agency ,than teams that want to trade for him.

With the tax rate in New York /New Jersey you think Revis wants to give up more of his dollars than he has to. Maybe he wants to play for hometown Steelers. who knows but I think he likes money more than playing in any state. So I don't know if anyone can say he wants to play in New York.
    If a team offers him $15-16 million per year before the season begins and before he proves that he is healthy he will take that deal in a minute. I am sure that if a team hits the number that he is looking for he will sign with them as quick as he can. I'm sure he is confident that he will return to how he was pre-injury but you can never be certain so if you're in his shoes you have to take the guaranteed money while it's available. Who is to say he doesn't blow out the same knee week 1? Now his knee is a huge question mark and he may only get half the contract he could have gotten if he signed this off-season. If someone hits that number, he will take it no matter what team it is. It's all about financial security with him, it makes perfect business sense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    As far as OL go, Warmack is as close to a lock as you can get.

I've said it before, he doesn't just have pro-bowl upside, he has John Hannah/Mike Munchak "holy sh*t this guy is the most dominant interior OL of his era" upside.
    Heard the same stories about DeCastro last year. Sorry, but I'm not taking this guy in the top 10 unless he can play all 5 positions and run the ball like Gale Sayers.

As far as Revis, a second this year and a first next year and the jets might be better off.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
    That's exactly what Greenie said this morning on Mike ans Mike. He predicted that Revis will end up staying with the Jets because of that.
    Ha, great Mikes think alike.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    If gronk had a year left on his contract and is coming off 2 broken forearms gms would be tripping over themselves to sign him as well
    2 broken forearms? it was the same injury that never healed. and it is a broken bone that now has the full 7 months to heal. and nobody would sign Gronk for 15 mill either.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think a team with enough cap room will try and sign the best cb in football. If the jets decide to trade him they will decide who the suiter will be
    How does the jets decide who he signs with long term? They can trade him and determine who he will play for next year but that is it. And how do the jets determine what teams will be a suitor for him?

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    How does the jets decide who he signs with long term? They can trade him and determine who he will play for next year but that is it. And how do the jets determine what teams will be a suitor for him?
    Anybody willing to trade for Revis will do it with the understanding that they would have to attempt to sign him as part of the deal. And they would also know how much money it will take to get done. Nobody is going to give up picks and possibly players if they don't already know what it will take to get an extension done. Revis will sign a contract if the trading team hits the number he wants. He would be risking a lot to turn down upwards of $90 million and $40-$50 million guaranteed just to get to FA where he wouldn't get more then that even with 10 teams bidding on him. No matter what there is a lot of risk for Revis to go into the regular season without a deal done. If he hurts that knee again his value will diminish by 30-40% annually plus his contract length would be cut in half. He will be more then willing to go wherever a team will pay him what he wants.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you think about this Revis deal...

Revis and Sanchez to the 49ers for Alex Smith and their 1st, 2nd and 4th. Both Sanchez and Smith have one year left on their contracts. Smith would come in as the starter for us and if he was good we give him a new deal and if he's bad we let him go the next year. Makes sense for the 9ers too in that Smith wants to be traded. They get Sanchez as an expensive back up for one year then could let him go as well.

Could possibly do the same deal with Seattle for Flynn.

Thoughts?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unless that package includes Frank Gore and SF's receivers, forget about it. Smith is a game-manager to the letter.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    A trade with SF is basically a second round pick. Pass.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    A 1st 2nd and 4th if they are all in this years draft and we get rid of Sanchez for Alex Smith - sign me up! I don't think the Jets can do better than that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think 49ers would only make a deal if Jets give them Revis...Sanchez...Tebow...Holmes...and Harris. Then they dump on Jets Smith...Willis...and a #1, #2 and #4.

Lets face it...49ers have Jets by the short hairs. So Jets have no choice but to do this sh!tty deal

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The jets can determine who the trade parter will be, revis doesn't have a no trade clause, what happens after the trade is up to revis.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Wrong.

Revis will decide who he signs a long-term contract with, not the Jets.
    Please explain revis' no trade clause.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    2 broken forearms? it was the same injury that never healed. and it is a broken bone that now has the full 7 months to heal. and nobody would sign Gronk for 15 mill either.
    So he broke his forearm, sat for a while, came back and broke it again. I'm no doctor but I think that is 2 broken forearms. And I agree no one would sign gronk for 15 mm either. Point is injury isn't stopping gms from throwing money at guys like it used to

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    I think 49ers would only make a deal if Jets give them Revis...Sanchez...Tebow...Holmes...and Harris. Then they dump on Jets Smith...Willis...and a #1, #2 and #4.

Lets face it...49ers have Jets by the short hairs. So Jets have no choice but to do this sh!tty deal
    Are you referencing patrick willis and the phrase "dump" in the same sentence?

Willis is a more valuable player then revis straight up and SF is gonna give us a first and second round pick on top?????

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Please explain revis' no trade clause.

No team is giving up top picks unless Revis signs with them long term. If a trade is reached at some point before its completed Revis will have to put his name on the dotted line. Therefore Revis controls where he goes.

Let's say we want to trade him to Cleveland. But Revis lets Cleveland know that he will never sign long term. Cleveland will not make the trade.

Revis completely controls where we trade him if we want top picks in return.