Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: So, Mark Sanchez and a slew of Burn outs have cost us Revis?(merged REVIS x 100)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Am I understanding this correctly? We're actually going to have to trade the best defensive player in the NFL - one of our best draft stories ever - because we've locked up too much money in Sh*tchez and a bunch of stupid name-contracts?
    Burnouts??? I like a slowburn myself

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlUisGVH3uo

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Am I understanding this correctly? We're actually going to have to trade the best defensive player in the NFL - one of our best draft stories ever - because we've locked up too much money in Sh*tchez and a bunch of stupid name-contracts?
    Yes, I was thinking the same thing......

And even if you LOVE Sanchez this alone shows just how stupid and inept the Jets FO and Tanny have been these last three to four years!!!

And yes i understand the real issue is 2014!!

IT IS A DISGRACE!!!!

Good Grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 01-25-2013 at 11:27 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    LOL, I guess I was right -- you DON'T spend much time on this site . . .

OK, let's play a game. How about you try to find a post that talks about how Revis is a key part in our quest for a SB, and I'll try to find one that argues how "only an idiot trades a world-class talent". The fact that so many posters here can't even CONSIDER the idea that plugging multiple holes MIGHT help us in the long run is all the blind Revis-homerism you need to see.

Could it backfire? Sure. But how did it work for the Cowboys when they traded Herschel? Add that to the fact that Revis is VERY unlikely to stay for anywhere near what we can realistically offer him, and trading him should at least be on the radar. But that's blasphemy to many posters here . . .

EDIT:
    I know posts like this make it look like I WANT to trade the guy. Of course not -- I wish we were one of those "one player away" teams. But I don't think we are, and five years from now I won't be looking back saying "at least we got to watch Revis", while meanwhile the guy's barely on the screen. If we can get fair value, I'm willing to roll the dice. Others aren't, and that's fine. But to act like it's stupid to even discuss it? Sorry, but that's the pot calling the kettle black . . .
    Well said. I don't want Revis gone for the sake of getting rid of him.he's awesome and I love watching him play, but he's a luxury at this point. We can get something in return for him while we can. I'd actually prefer Landry over Revis. Keep our secondary as it was last season +/- Yeremiah Bell. I wish we could keep Mevis with all the crap that goes along with him. Unless Idzik is a certified genius, the Jets just won't be able to afford him.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Because Cromartie will take $8M/year and be happy... While Revis will hold out, want $18M/year, finally agree to 3 year deal worth $16M/year... still not be happy and then in 2 years will hold out again and want an even larger contract.
    Yep, this right here ^^^^^. Unless Revis intercepts passes and returns them for touchdowns, thereby scoring enough points that we don't need a QB to win games, he might have to be sacrificed for "the greater good". If I understand y'all correctly, we have to deal Revis THIS year because NEXT year he'll be a free agent and we'll get NOTHING for him. Is that right? And when he enters free agency, we'll have to compete with big offers from other teams, and we won't be able to pay him as much as he wants so ... he's lost to us in 2014 either way. Please correct me if I'm wrong, because if this is right, deal Revis this year, sorry guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    yes its true, so damn sickening it has come to this.

this organization has hit an all time low.

jets game day bucket go boom!
    LOLZ too funny! Sometimes I can't get that freaking phrase out of my head, and now you've put it in there again. aaaaaarrrrrrrghhhh

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    Well said. I don't want Revis gone for the sake of getting rid of him.he's awesome and I love watching him play, but he's a luxury at this point. We can get something in return for him while we can. I'd actually prefer Landry over Revis. Keep our secondary as it was last season +/- Yeremiah Bell. I wish we could keep Mevis with all the crap that goes along with him. Unless Idzik is a certified genius, the Jets just won't be able to afford him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Being in the HEADLINES is what jets do best 4 all wrong reasons.. Cmon NYJets!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I thought the sarcasm in my post was pretty obvious. I put the little face in there and everything.
    No mate, i wasn't referring to you. I was referring team "Dense" that seem to want their cake and eat it too.

Please NY, draft the best player possible, and when that player actually develops into a superstar, b*tch about paying him in that manner.

Those guys.
    Last edited by Paradis; 01-26-2013 at 12:09 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Harris is the main culprit according to @nyjetscap he is make 12+ mill the next 2 yrs ..

Sanchez money only hurts cause he is bad he if he was a good qb he would be underpaid at 8 mill . So no he isn't the reason were losing revis .
    Here the quotes

What really blew up the #Jets cap was the deal for David Harris. In 12 and 13 he averaged a cap of $12.5 mil.

49ers spend around $14 million per year for 2 superior players.Willis and Bowman Signed extension this year. Cap in 14 and 15 are 7 and 7.75 mil. Willis is 6.5 and 8.3 those same years. In 2013 its 6.7 combined

@nyjetscap: Brian Urlacher, Paul Posluzny, Patrick Willis, Curtis Lofton, Jon Beason and Ray Lewis all made less in base salary.
    Last edited by Scoop24; 01-26-2013 at 04:39 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    Why is it 'greedy' to try to get as much money as someone will pay him?

If you knew that you could get a raise by going to a different job, wouldn't you?

And don't give me some BS about how 10 million should be fine instead of 15 million. To some starving villager you trying to make $150k a year instead of $100k a year is just as 'greedy'.

Edit: I also don't understand how all of this stuff from the Jets gets out into the press. Letting a player find out they are shopping him before he needs to know is just dumb. Unless he has a 'no trade' clause in his contract he'd have to waive why the **** would you have a player find out about this until he needed to know? If they can't find a team willing to pay the right price what does it serve them to have him find out he's on the market?
    The reason it's getting out is because the GM candidates they interviewed are blabbing about what was discussed in the interviews. Highly unprofessional of them, IMHO. Glad we didn't hire those guys.

Now though, Jets can use this to their advantage : the opening shot in the negotiations has been fired, and Revis' agents are aware that the Jets will not just give him whatever he wants ... basically, push us too far and we are willing to trade your client to another team. If Revis truly wants to be a Jet for life, he has to figure out how much $ that is worth and adjust his demands accordingly. (In the analogy about every day life - I know I could make much more than I do in my current job, but I also know that to do so would mean compromises on family time, commuting distance, overall happiness ... those things are worth more to me than the money).

And if Idzik does manage a deal that works without crippling the team, his first big act as GM is seen as a very positive one by the fans (well, some of us anyway ).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I know posts like this make it look like I WANT to trade the guy. Of course not -- I wish we were one of those "one player away" teams. But I don't think we are, and five years from now I won't be looking back saying "at least we got to watch Revis", while meanwhile the guy's barely on the screen. If we can get fair value, I'm willing to roll the dice. Others aren't, and that's fine. But to act like it's stupid to even discuss it? Sorry, but that's the pot calling the kettle black . . .
    Outside of our QB conundrum, this is probably the most relevant topic on the Jets right now.

On one hand - a unique talent who is one of the best to ever play his position, and which allows our D to do a lot of the things that they want to do elsewhere.

On the other hand - an offense lacking in talent and not a ton of cap room to address it.

The dilemma - what to do? Trade the unique talent to strengthen the rest of the team, or see if you can do both together? Welcome to the NY Jets, Mr Idzik.

My view is that we are unlikely to get a "boat load" of picks from another team. Or if we do they will not be high picks. That sort of trading just doesn't happen so much nowadays. A first round pick for Revis? Sounds nice, but that really is a roll of the dice, sadly. Multiple picks would lessen the risk but that will in turn limit the number of interested teams.

My own hope is that we decide the O can be fixed over the next two years through some smart drafting / FA pick ups, and we find a deal that extends Revis so he is still there after those two years. How many positions on O do we really need to fix - 1 QB, 1 TE, 1 RB, maybe 2 OL, and possibly 1 WR? That's not impossible to do over 2 years. Sure the D has some holes too, but not as many as the O - safety is a real concern, and we need some talent at OLB, but the other positions are manageable with the guys we have and some low price depth IMHO.

We'll certainly see in the coming weeks & months what our new GM is made of.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    yes its true, so damn sickening it has come to this.

this organization has hit an all time low.

jets game day bucket go boom!
    I have a crush on her.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Sanchez can be cut next year, his contract doesn't have any impact on the Jets decision to re-sign or trade Revis. Same with Santonio. The question is whether the Jets want to pay Revis what he's worth or roll the dice on a draft pick or two.
    This.

After the 2013 season the Jets will have more than enough cap space to sign Revis. The issue is whether to pay a CB a QB salary and whether Revis will holdout again even if he gets the $100 million deal.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    I'm all for keeping revis at a reasonable cost.
    LOL

Why do people keep saying this?

Yeah, no sh*t. I think we'd all like to keep Revis at a reasonable cost.

But the words "Revis" and "reasonable" don't even belong in the same sentence.

The guy wants to be the highest paid defensive player in NFL history at a time where we need to rebuild our entire offense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Not to take sides but there have been some here that are saying that.
    When their not proclaiming him God who will heal the sick, make the blind see and cause the oceans to recede.. And that's just some of the good stuff..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    LOL

Why do people keep saying this?

Yeah, no sh*t. I think we'd all like to keep Revis at a reasonable cost.

But the words "Revis" and "reasonable" don't even belong in the same sentence.

The guy wants to be the highest paid defensive player in NFL history at a time where we need to rebuild our entire offense.
    You're right. It must be written in stone.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    let go of the past bro, Revis is all about Revis, not you, me or the Jets. Him and his money grubbing uncle can go scratch their ass. I'll take the 4th or 5th best CB with a good attitude than a Meevis. And I own a #24

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    GM's constantly rob Peter to pay Paul. Some time you just run out of Peters

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's hilarious that people all over Revis for wanting to get paid what someone will pay him. News flash! Welcome to modern sports! Be mad at him for holding out a couple years ago, but for wanting to get the biggest contract someone will pay him?? That isn't greedy that's business. It is so rare these days when a player takes a home town discount it might as well be non-existent. Not to mention usually said discount is like 500k a year at best. Yes CB is a value position, but trading a future hall of famer for draft picks that may or may not work out is crazy. You work 10 years in the draft to get a player of Revis' caliber and teams don't get better by getting rid of those players. There is a reason guys like Revis never hit free agency... because teams don't launch elite talent at any position.

Now if someone told me we were going to get a proven stud at a different position in return I guess I could understand that logic, but this "we are rebuilding" attitude is such a loser mentality. Yes we are probably in for a rebuild this year, but he's signed this year anyway! NFL teams completely turn around inside 3 years all of the time these days. 5 year rebuilds are code word for ****ty run organizations. And yes watching the best player at his position in the NFL is certainly part of the fun of being a fan. Obviously I'd trade Revis for a Super Bowl any day, but I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive. In fact I think one will negatively effect the chances of the other.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    let go of the past bro, Revis is all about Revis, not you, me or the Jets. Him and his money grubbing uncle can go scratch their ass. I'll take the 4th or 5th best CB with a good attitude than a Meevis. And I own a #24
    once you remove the emotions from the decision, b/c the jets actually drafted revis, then the decision becomes much easier.

revis needs to be on a team that has a good qb and is willing to overpay him. b/c bad teams simply can't justify his salary, and good teams will see him as a chance to get past the elite passing teams. he's really boxed himself in a bit, b/c there aren't that many teams who can justify paying him that much. he's priced himself out of 20 or so teams. and of the remaining teams, maybe half would balk at his demands.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    We must keep Revis at all cost!

We've already seen what happens when he's not on the field! Our pass defense will drastically decline from best in the league to 2nd best in the league!

Good God, man!

How will we cope!

What's the use in acquiring all of these extra resources to fix our dogsh*t offense if we can't watch the best CB in the league every Sunday!?!!?!