Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: So, Mark Sanchez and a slew of Burn outs have cost us Revis?(merged REVIS x 100)

All Pro
    THIS MADNESS HAS TO STOP SOMEWHERE. If it takes sacrificing Revis to make it happen, so be it. It is stupid to pay CBs and Wrs that type of money especially when they impact on the game depends on someone else.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    He's not worth the amount. He's a cornerback who did his ACL. That and he's free to listen to offers from the whole league next year. He's all about the money. We let him go now we can still get something for him.

Or better this: you are ok with losing Revis and getting nothing in return besides some compensatory 3rd rounder.

All so Jets fans can say they have best CB of ALL TIMES on their squad.
    I'm all for keeping revis at a reasonable cost. I don't think people want to keep him to just say they have the best CB of all time on the team. I don't even think that makes sense. I want to keep him because he is everything you want as a player. Money aside, the guy prepares like no other and backs it up on the field. Never in trouble off the field. He goes about his business and takes care of business.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Sanchez can be cut next year, his contract doesn't have any impact on the Jets decision to re-sign or trade Revis. Same with Santonio. The question is whether the Jets want to pay Revis what he's worth or roll the dice on a draft pick or two.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    THIS MADNESS HAS TO STOP SOMEWHERE. If it takes sacrificing Revis to make it happen, so be it. It is stupid to pay CBs and Wrs that type of money especially when they impact on the game depends on someone else.
    Who exactly does Revis depend on so he can impact a game?

Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    Why is it 'greedy' to try to get as much money as someone will pay him?

If you knew that you could get a raise by going to a different job, wouldn't you?

And don't give me some BS about how 10 million should be fine instead of 15 million. To some starving villager you trying to make $150k a year instead of $100k a year is just as 'greedy'.

Edit: I also don't understand how all of this stuff from the Jets gets out into the press. Letting a player find out they are shopping him before he needs to know is just dumb. Unless he has a 'no trade' clause in his contract he'd have to waive why the **** would you have a player find out about this until he needed to know? If they can't find a team willing to pay the right price what does it serve them to have him find out he's on the market?
    But its not that simple. what if your employer said we can pay you the extra 50K per year but to do so we'll have to layoff 5 of your peers or we'll have to eliminate some other perk like healthcare for all employees. Its the sacrifices that need to be made in order to get that salary. The sacrifices of giving Revis 15M per year is we can't upgrade other positions. If there was no cap then no question pay him what ever he wants as long as the owner wants to write the check, but there's a cap and it comes with sacrifices.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Am I understanding this correctly? We're actually going to have to trade the best defensive player in the NFL - one of our best draft stories ever - because we've locked up too much money in Sh*tchez and a bunch of stupid name-contracts?
    Primary goal was to sell PSL's at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    I'm all for keeping revis at a reasonable cost. I don't think people want to keep him to just say they have the best CB of all time on the team. I don't even think that makes sense. I want to keep him because he is everything you want as a player. Money aside, the guy prepares like no other and backs it up on the field. Never in trouble off the field. He goes about his business and takes care of business.
    Don't spend much time on this site, do you? That's EXACTLY what many posters are saying . . .

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    The dumb QB that throws the ball to his side of the field. If Revis goes an entire game without being challenge and the Jets lose, what did he add to the game.

Darelle Revis is a great player, no doubt about it, but how many INTs does he have in his career. How many TDs on int returns does he have in his career. They don't throw the ball at him and while he takes away the best offensive receiver from the other team, has it ever dawn on anyone that the other team might be willing to male that trade if it allows them to win the game.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    The opposing QB.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Blame Rex and Tanny.

They ruined this team in 2011.
    Rex had nothing to do with the contracts. Blame Tanny.

All League
    The dumb QB that throws the ball to his side of the field. If Revis goes an entire game without being challenge and the Jets lose, what did he add to the game.

Darelle Revis is a great player, no doubt about it, but how many INTs does he have in his career. How many TDs on int returns does he have in his career. They don't throw the ball at him and while he takes away the best offensive receiver from the other team, has it ever dawn on anyone that the other team might be willing to male that trade if it allows them to win the game.
    If you really are asking how Revis impacts a game, where he covers the other teams best receiver all game, and they don't throw in his direction, I am not going to get into a back and forth with you. I'm not trying to condecende, but that should be self explanatory.

Wow. Huge misread.

Revis is a corner so good he has to change the way the opposing team plays offense - I believe his level of play from the CB position is almost an unprecedented, yet you seem disturbed by his lack of pick-6s? A lot of times it's tough to quantify the contributions of a shotblocker in basketball, but if you ask a coach - it's huge. That center will often force an offense to leave their comfort zone, and that contributes greatly to the bottom line - the score.

I mean, I feel the Jets are best to get rid of him (we're in burn the village to save the village mode - at this point and for this team multiple draft picks > an epic CB who's inevitably going to hold out for something ridiculous) but he is probably the best cover CB we'll see in our lifetimes, who can tackle, too, btw.

That said - we lack so many essential pieces for a winning program that it's almost pointless to keep him if his presence means we can't have things like, oh I don't know, say an NFL-grade OL. Hate to say it. I'd take a second rung (just shy of elite, maybe 5th-10th best) QB over Revis in a heartbeat. Sanchez helped put me here.
    Last edited by sackdance; 01-25-2013 at 11:40 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Don't spend much time on this site, do you? That's EXACTLY what many posters are saying . . .
    Show me then smarty

Show me then smarty
    Not to take sides but there have been some here that are saying that.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Not to take sides but there have been some here that are saying that.
    Then those people are stupid. My allegiance to revis is based on his play. That's all it should be. To want a guy on your team for any other reason is just bananas.

Show me then smarty
    LOL, I guess I was right -- you DON'T spend much time on this site . . .

OK, let's play a game. How about you try to find a post that talks about how Revis is a key part in our quest for a SB, and I'll try to find one that argues how "only an idiot trades a world-class talent". The fact that so many posters here can't even CONSIDER the idea that plugging multiple holes MIGHT help us in the long run is all the blind Revis-homerism you need to see.

Could it backfire? Sure. But how did it work for the Cowboys when they traded Herschel? Add that to the fact that Revis is VERY unlikely to stay for anywhere near what we can realistically offer him, and trading him should at least be on the radar. But that's blasphemy to many posters here . . .

EDIT:
    I know posts like this make it look like I WANT to trade the guy. Of course not -- I wish we were one of those "one player away" teams. But I don't think we are, and five years from now I won't be looking back saying "at least we got to watch Revis", while meanwhile the guy's barely on the screen. If we can get fair value, I'm willing to roll the dice. Others aren't, and that's fine. But to act like it's stupid to even discuss it? Sorry, but that's the pot calling the kettle black . . .
    Last edited by OCCH; 01-25-2013 at 11:02 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    LOL, I guess I was right -- you DON'T spend much time on this site . . .

OK, let's play a game. How about you try to find a post that talks about how Revis is a key part in our quest for a SB, and I'll try to find one that argues how "only an idiot trades a world-class talent". The fact that so many posters here can't even CONSIDER the idea that plugging multiple holes MIGHT help us in the long run is all the blind Revis-homerism you need to see.

Could it backfire? Sure. But how did it work for the Cowboys when they traded Herschel? Add that to the fact that Revis is VERY unlikely to stay for anywhere near what we can realistically offer him, and trading him should at least be on the radar. But that's blasphemy to many posters here . . .
    We are on two different pages here. I'm saying you don't trade a guy that is a world class talent, because he produces. His play is why I want him. And it is true, only an idiot would trade someone that produces at his level.

On the other hand, I was referring to people who only want to say "we have the best" just for the sake of saying it. Those people would be dumb.

There are a lot of holes, I agree. But why would you create more holes(trading revis) to try and fill more holes with unproven draft picks? Lets just say we get a first and a second round for revis. Those two end up being busts..... Now what. More holes.

We are on two different pages here. I'm saying you don't trade a guy that is a world class talent, because he produces. His play is why I want him. And it is true, only an idiot would trade someone that produces at his level.

On the other hand, I was referring to people who only want to say "we have the best" just for the sake of saying it. Those people would be dumb.

There are a lot of holes, I agree. But why would you create more holes(trading revis) to try and fill more holes with unproven draft picks? Lets just say we get a first and a second round for revis. Those two end up being busts..... Now what. More holes.
    Yeah, but if you trade Revis, who is just an all-time great CB no big deal, you might get a QB the quality of Ryan Tannehill!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Am I understanding this correctly? We're actually going to have to trade the best defensive player in the NFL - one of our best draft stories ever - because we've locked up too much money in Sh*tchez and a bunch of stupid name-contracts?
    You're not understanding this correctly. In fact, you don't seem to understand this at all.

The Jets are in bad cap shape for 2013. Revis is already signed in 2013.

The Jets are in fine cap shape in 2014 when Revis hits the FA market. Holmes and Sanchez are not cap killers next year.

In fact, trading him will mean he has $3 million more in dead money added to our 2013 cap (unless the Jets and Revis renegotiate his remaining deal prior to a trade)So why trade him?

1) His contract dictates that the Jets cannot franchise him when he's up for free agency. This means Revis will hit the open market in 2014 and seek to be the highest paid player in football outside the elite QBs. Perhaps the Jets, who have already seen Revis hold out twice, and had to work out a contract with absurd stipulations just to keep Revis from being able to hold out for a 3rd time, are tired of his act, and want to get some value for him before he walks.

2) Perhaps the Jets have seen that Cro and Wilson can hold down the CB position, and the money will be better spent elsewhere in the future. For $14-16M a season you an sign two or three above average starters.

3) Maybe things are as dire as some in the media claim, and the Jets have decided to start over. Trading Revis not only frees up future cap space for FAs, but we'll obviously be getting a handful of decent draft picks to rebuild the team.

Basically, the Jets decision (if it is in fact their decision) to trade Revis has nothing to do with their 2013 situation. They can fit Revis' contract under the salary cap for the next 5 years if they wanted to.. so the real question your thread should've asked is "Why don't the Jets want to take on Revis' next contract?"

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    Yeah, but if you trade Revis, who is just an all-time great CB no big deal, you might get a QB the quality of Ryan Tannehill!
    Yes. Now if we were trading him for a proven player, then I'd be willing to talk. But for a chance to draft the next tannehill or (gulp) "the ghost"..... No thanks.