Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: So, Mark Sanchez and a slew of Burn outs have cost us Revis?(merged REVIS x 100)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RChiocchi View Post
    Did the Giants try to trade Lawrence Taylor in his prime?
    Did the Bears try to trade Sayers or Butkus in their primes?
    Did the Steelers try to trade Joe Greene or Jack Lambert in their primes?
    Did the 49ers try to trade Jerry Rice in his prime?
    Have the Vikings tried to trade AP in his prime?
    Have the Lions tried to trade Megatron in his prime?
    Has Houston tried to trade Andre Johnson in his prime?

Hopefully that makes my point......

JET FANS, HEAR THIS, LISTEN TO THIS:

THE PROBLEM WITH THE JETS IS NOT REVIS, IT'S ALMOST EVERYONE ELSE BESIDES REVIS (Who knows with a healthy Revis, we might have been better than 6-10 -- even with a lousy performing QB -- because of his play and locker room leadership!)
    Maybe even 16-0... BTW their weren't any salary caps for most of the players you mentioned..

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Maybe even 16-0... BTW their weren't any salary caps for most of the players you mentioned..
    When is the last time a team traded their best player, and got equal value in return?

Why are teams lining up to pay him?

Think about it..after this season, we won't be paying a QB big money

In 2014, we're 24MM under the cap, even before we save $18MM by cutting Sanchez + Homes (if they don't perform in 2013). So the smart thing to do is renegotiate some 2013 contracts and reallocate money into 2014. That's the REASONABLE way to rebuild the team. TRADING REVIS IS THE UNREASONABLE WAY TO REBUILD THE TEAM.

(I still remember watching the Skins-Dolphs Super Bowl and watching Riggins turn the corner on that long TD run and wondering what it would have been like if we didn't give him away -- One big blunder every 100 years or so is enough, let's not make it two!!!)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Just about EVERY SINGLE TEAM has a player that is paid a hefty ransom. Most are QB's but many are not. The 9ers pay Bowman and Willis HUGE money, because they don't spend big money on a QB

The Pats pay Brady

Broncos Manning

Look at the ravens, they'll have to go all in with Flacco

Texans pay Foster, Titans pay CJ

It whomever the team deems most valuable

Revis is our guy....he's going nowhere
    And what is the difference between Revis and all the other players you mentioned?

Those guys are playmakers, gamechangers who can carry a team on their back to win games. Revis can't do that.

All Revis does is take away one opposing player.

And BTW, Harris makes more money than Willis.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    And what is the difference between Revis and all the other players you mentioned?

Those guys are playmakers, gamechangers who can carry a team on their back to win games. Revis can't do that.

All Revis does is take away one opposing player.
    You're such a f-ing putz

Please tell me how an ILB can carry a team on his back

Please tell me why an ILB is more valuable than a CB

Please tell me how an ILB can take away more than one opposing player

Enlighten us all

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    Let me tell you what will ultimately happen with Revis.

He and his two agents will never come to terms with one of our trading partners there by nullifying any deal. This will render him a free agent next year and leave the Jets holding their nuts.

Watch.
    And that is exactly why the Jets have zero leverage in this situation.

If you were another team, why would you negotiate with the Jets right now when the is a very good chance Revis will hit the open market and the end of next season.

Jets could very easily walk away with nothing for Revis.

Some Questions:

Was it Revis who made the decision to not bring in a viable NFL-type backup QB to compete with Sanchez?

Was it Revis who gave Sanchez a completely unnecessary, unjustified contract?

Was it Revis who didn't re-sign Braylon Edwards when he could have been had at a favorable number?

Was it Revis who didn't draft a legit pass rushing OLB over the last several years?

Was it Revis who caused Cotchery to want to leave?

Was it Revis who signed Wayne Hunter + Eric Smith to rediculous contracts?

YEAH, BUT TRADING REVIS WILL MAKE ALL THAT GO AWAY.....

Banned
    You're such a f-ing putz

Please tell me how an ILB can carry a team on his back

Please tell me why an ILB is more valuable than a CB

Please tell me how an ILB can take away more than one opposing player

Enlighten us all
    I didn't realize Brady, Manning, Flacco and Foster were ILB's.

Those were the guys you mentioned.

Hall Of Fame
    The crux of this debate actually goes back a few years when two conditions were prevailing that some posters on this board foolishly felt would prevail forever....

They were absurdly wrong in both respects.

--- utter stupidity #1 ---
    The salary cap has not gone up endlessly at a rate of 10% per year as some posters on this site confidently predicted. "$16 million per year will seem small when the salary cap hits $170 million" or some such dopey nonsense. In fact the cap has largely stabilized (as some of us predicted), and has even gone down in one year.

Idiots

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-s...ary-cap-2011-7

--- utter supidity #2 ---
    The modern day NFL values franchise CB's in the same elite level as it does for Franchise QB's, LT's and Pass rushers. Because the game has changed or some such.

Bollocks.

One senile old man (Al Davis) fell in love with one player (Nnamdi Asomugha) and almost single handed set the value for elite CBs at a level that was incorrect and was not sustained by the marketplace outside of Oakland. The problem for the Jets came in that we had an elite CB whose contract came up for renewal at that same time and he wanted to be paid comparably to this unsustainable level.

I am sure Revis' representation still feels that all they have to do is find one team willing to pay $16+ million range. Maybe they will find such a team and maybe they wont but they are not going to accept even a market price offer from the Jets until they at least sample the free agent waters first. Perhaps there is another Al Davis out there somewhere. After all they have negotiated the right to not be franchised by the Jets and so sampling these waters is their right.

No you don't.

The good/great teams build a defense from the inside out, not the outside in.
    Spend your high draft picks and money on the D front 7 and suddenly your CB can be very effective without being pro-bowlers.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I didn't realize Brady, Manning, Flacco and Foster were ILB's.

Those were the guys you mentioned.
    Just about EVERY SINGLE TEAM has a player that is paid a hefty ransom. Most are QB's but many are not. The 9ers pay Bowman and Willis HUGE money, because they don't spend big money on a QB
    Ummm?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankdds View Post
    I'm not debating the track records of the GM candidates I noted, just simply that their supposed strength is as 'personnel' guys.

Second, this is Common Sense 101. The only reason most teams don't pay cornerbacks 14-16 million is because they do not have a CB at the level of Revis. He is universally regarded as the best at his position, by a mile. There have been very few players at that position that compare to Revis. And he's not done (forget the ACL Surgery - see Adrian Peterson), AND, he plays in a defensive scheme that relies on CBs.

The salary cap will improve this year and next. We have all our picks this year. Keep the guys worth keeping, rely on the second year guys (Coples, Hill, Davis), and draft WELL this year!

Revis WILL get paid. Period. Just a matter of which team. And if not the Jets, probably by much better run franchises than the Jets.
    Smart organizations DO NOT pay CBs $16M even if they are as good as Revis. Period. Any team that does is a loser organization in my view, so I pretty much disagree with you 100%.

Trading Revis is 100% the right thing to do.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Spend your high draft picks and money on the D front 7 and suddenly your CB can be very effective without being pro-bowlers.
    Bingo.

We have a Bingo.

And unless I am mistaken the DL has an impact on every single play.

Quote Originally Posted by RChiocchi View Post
    Did the Giants try to trade Lawrence Taylor in his prime?
    Did the Bears try to trade Sayers or Butkus in their primes?
    Did the Steelers try to trade Joe Greene or Jack Lambert in their primes?
    Did the 49ers try to trade Jerry Rice in his prime?
    Have the Vikings tried to trade AP in his prime?
    Have the Lions tried to trade Megatron in his prime?
    Has Houston tried to trade Andre Johnson in his prime?

Hopefully that makes my point......

JET FANS, HEAR THIS, LISTEN TO THIS:

THE PROBLEM WITH THE JETS IS NOT REVIS, IT'S ALMOST EVERYONE ELSE BESIDES REVIS (Who knows with a healthy Revis, we might have been better than 6-10 -- even with a lousy performing QB -- because of his play and locker room leadership!)
    Of the guys you mentioned that play in the Salary Cap era, who has held out twice already and made it known they want to be one of the highest paid non-qb players in the entire league?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

hasnt revis made close to $40m over the past 3 seasons?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    It's called a negotiation for a reason. If its 16 then you get rid of him. Why can't you grasp this?
    You said the most you would pay Revis is $12.5 million per, correct?

LOL

Well, you might as well get on board with trading him then.

Because you're out of your goddamn skull if you think he's signing for that. If he was willing to accept that kind of offer then the Jets would've already locked him up for the forseeable future.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    You said the most you would pay Revis is $12.5 million per, correct?

LOL

Well, you might as well get on board with trading him then.

Because you're out of your goddamn skull if you think he's signing for that. If he was willing to accept that kind of offer then the Jets would've already locked him up for the forseeable future.
    You must be right.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

When is the last time a team traded their best player, and got equal value in return?

Why are teams lining up to pay him?

Think about it..after this season, we won't be paying a QB big money
    Forget sports writers what GM's of any teams have a place in line now??

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    You must be right.
    In this situation...yeah.

I'm 100% right.

Anyone with a functional brain should be able to put two and two together.

It's been reported by everyone and their mother for the past two years that Revis is looking to become the highest paid defensive player in football history.

But now he's suddenly going to drastically lower his demands?

Yeah, okay.