Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: So, Mark Sanchez and a slew of Burn outs have cost us Revis?(merged REVIS x 100)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    I agree that's possible crash, but what team out there would trade a slew of picks hoping that down the road they could sign Revis to a long-term deal.

I think any team that would be giving up multile draft picks would want a guarantee that Revis would agree to a long-term contract before they pull the trigger on the trade.
    The Jets did it with Vilma and the Saints gave up a 4th and a conditional (which ended up being a 3rd). Revis is obviously in a different category than Vilma which cuts both ways. First, he is a HoF caliber player which makes him more valuable, clearly. But, he's also looking for the biggest pay day which makes him less likely to re-sign.

But, even if Revis says he's going to wait til he hits FA, any team that has him for a year clearly has a better chance of signing him than the field. Assuming that team has cap money available, they have all year to impress upon Revis how good a spot it is, he's familiar with the team, etc. etc. If Revis likes where he goes in the first few months, he may decide to take the long term deal, assuming the money's right.

Just because he doesn't sign a long term deal, doesn't mean a team won't want Revis. They simply won't pay as much. That may be reality though.

And worst comes to worst, they lose Revis and get a comp pick. So, if they trade a late second, they get Revis for the year, the chance to re-sign him and, if they don't, get a late 3rd in return (assuming they qualify). Not too shabby.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would you rather have a viable QB option to Sanchez or a 4th-to-7th round comp pick for Revis?

That's how bad Tanny tied the Jets hands.
    Ok I heard you say this more than a few times on this board already...Revis will demand at least a 1st round pick.

4th to 7th round comp for Revis? what are you smoking?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    The Jets did it with Vilma and the Saints gave up a 4th and a conditional (which ended up being a 3rd). Revis is obviously in a different category than Vilma which cuts both ways. First, he is a HoF caliber player which makes him more valuable, clearly. But, he's also looking for the biggest pay day which makes him less likely to re-sign.

But, even if Revis says he's going to wait til he hits FA, any team that has him for a year clearly has a better chance of signing him than the field. Assuming that team has cap money available, they have all year to impress upon Revis how good a spot it is, he's familiar with the team, etc. etc. If Revis likes where he goes in the first few months, he may decide to take the long term deal, assuming the money's right.

Just because he doesn't sign a long term deal, doesn't mean a team won't want Revis. They simply won't pay as much. That may be reality though.

And worst comes to worst, they lose Revis and get a comp pick. So, if they trade a late second, they get Revis for the year, the chance to re-sign him and, if they don't, get a late 3rd in return (assuming they qualify). Not too shabby.
    Do you think the Jets would trade Revis for a late 2nd?

See, that's what make the situation so complicated.

You have three factors (Jets, Revis, Opposing team) that would have to come to agreement to make the trade a reality.

That's pretty tough.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure trading an all time great CB for an average, overpaid QB on the verge of getting cut is the smartest move. It might be a better decision to wait for them to cut Smith then sign him for short money if they really wanted him. Smith is better than Sanchez but he is still a below average QB in the league. I would take all of the following starters before him.

Manning
    Brady
    Brees
    Newton
    RG3
    Romo
    Manning
    Luck
    Wilson
    Ryan
    Stafford
    Freeman
    Rodgers
    Kapernick
    Flacco
    Roethlesberger
    Schuab

I would put Smith on similar footing with guys like:
    Dalton, Rivers, Cutler and Bradford

He is the definition of mediocre. Is he better than guys like Sanchez, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder and such? Sure but those guys stink right now. Locker and Ponder probably have higher upside.

So no thanks to the trade and no thanks to paying Smith in a big contract. I would take him for 5 Million or so as a shot in the dark. Its about the same as I'm willing to spend on a guy like Flynn and see if we catch lightning in a bottle.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    These reporters love the negative spin. The Jets will be under the cap by the start of the new league year. About 12 million under. That's accomplished by cutting 3 backups and 2 starters.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    These reporters love the negative spin. The Jets will be under the cap by the start of the new league year. About 12 million under. That's accomplished by cutting 3 backups and 2 starters.
    You neglect to mention that after that, they only have 12 starters signed for the coming season and you'll need $6 million or so reserved to sign your draft picks.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post

4th to 7th round comp for Revis? what are you smoking?
    That is all the Jets would get if Revis walks away as a FA.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    So.....

The New York Jets spent around $11.5 million dollars last year or around 9% of the entire salary cap on Darrelle Revis.

What did we get for our money?
    Need you be reminded that past performance is not a guarantee of future returns. This cuts both ways.

The Jets were 6 and 10 this year without DR that's substantially worse then 2games over 500 with him even though there is little statistical evidence for either argument.

It's a team game but we have lots of weak links and lots of overpaid players based on their production. Revis is going to be paid a stupid amount of money but based on his production when healthy he is clearly brings more value to the team then other over paid guys whose production is mediocre to outright crap.

Now if I was certain the Jets were going to plug in value all over the place and that would make us a substantially better team than having the great CB I can see the argument that moving on is a great move. That's far from certain and seems to be baked into the cake by the trade Revis contingency.

If we could keep Revis even over pay him while unloading Taco and Holmes along with other dead meat and rebuild with young cheaper players in their first contract we might be able to have the dominating player and a good enough core on O to make a serious run in a couple of years? There are lots of ways to rebuild the Jets. The real problem is how we draft and quickly develop a real good QB who is also a value player.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gotcha....I misunderstood my bad

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    You neglect to mention that after that, they only have 12 starters signed for the coming season and you'll need $6 million or so reserved to sign your draft picks.
    This is a deceiving number at best. Davis will start at ILB in place of Scott. Howard will be brought back on the cheap at RT. Cumberland starts at TE in place of Keller. Powell/Drafted RB will start at RB. Mayhaps Ducasse or Caleb S. will step in and start at one of the G spots? Theres a good chance Pace comes back on the cheap at OLB. Bush or Allen may start at S.

The point is that the sky is not falling and it isn't the worst thing in the world to get rid of dead weight and let some young players step up.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you think the Jets would trade Revis for a late 2nd?

See, that's what make the situation so complicated.

You have three factors (Jets, Revis, Opposing team) that would have to come to agreement to make the trade a reality.

That's pretty tough.
    If the collective wisdom was that they had no interest (or no chance) at re-signing him at what he will likely be asking, then I think its a possibility.

Obviously we have no idea what the internal situation is and how good/bad the relationship and dialogue between the team and Revis is.

But, would the Broncos trade a #2 and #4 or #5 for Revis and hope for the best knowing that they have a chance to a) win the Super Bowl and b) sign him to a long term deal? I think its a real consideration even if Revis doesn't sign an extension as a precondition for the deal.

I doubt they'll get a #1 though. You can't gamble with a #1 - a #2 you can a little. WIth what Revis brings, its probably worth a shot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the collective wisdom was that they had no interest (or no chance) at re-signing him at what he will likely be asking, then I think its a possibility.

Obviously we have no idea what the internal situation is and how good/bad the relationship and dialogue between the team and Revis is.

But, would the Broncos trade a #2 and #4 or #5 for Revis and hope for the best knowing that they have a chance to a) win the Super Bowl and b) sign him to a long term deal? I think its a real consideration even if Revis doesn't sign an extension as a precondition for the deal.

I doubt they'll get a #1 though. You can't gamble with a #1 - a #2 you can a little. WIth what Revis brings, its probably worth a shot.
    i think it would be easier to trade revis if the jets asked for a 1st rounder in 2014, as opposed to this year. it would be better for the jets, since next year's qbs seem to be better, and then the jets could also get, say, 2 picks in this year's draft. or a player too.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Am I understanding this correctly? We're actually going to have to trade the best defensive player in the NFL - one of our best draft stories ever - because we've locked up too much money in Sh*tchez and a bunch of stupid name-contracts?
    yes

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i think it would be easier to trade revis if the jets asked for a 1st rounder in 2014, as opposed to this year. it would be better for the jets, since next year's qbs seem to be better, and then the jets could also get, say, 2 picks in this year's draft. or a player too.
    We need 2 guys for Revis...

2 x 1's or a 1 and a 2... anything less, keep him...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    This is a deceiving number at best. Davis will start at ILB in place of Scott. Howard will be brought back on the cheap at RT. Cumberland starts at TE in place of Keller. Powell/Drafted RB will start at RB. Mayhaps Ducasse or Caleb S. will step in and start at one of the G spots? Theres a good chance Pace comes back on the cheap at OLB. Bush or Allen may start at S.

The point is that the sky is not falling and it isn't the worst thing in the world to get rid of dead weight and let some young players step up.
    Howard and Cumberland are both RFA and the jets will need to tag them at almost 2mill per year or they are FA.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the Broncos would be the Jets best trading partner. If Revis was back there, the Broncos do not lose to the Ravens. Elway knows that, and he has a very short window with Manning.

I think a #2, #4 and #5 is feasible for 2013. Hell, the Jets could probably get a #2 and #4 this year, and possibly of #2 or #3 for 2014 if they want to go that route.

You make a very good point with a gamble on a #1. You just can't take that chance. A #1 needs to be a starter/solid performer for the foreseeable future.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

The broncos would take a 5 mill cap hit for cutting Bailey, but that willl save them 3/4 of the money to keep Revis in the future. But they still need to sign Clady who will get Mankins/Nicks/ type money at almost 10 mill next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    But that is in the April 2015 draft. You can't use prospective compensatory pics for 3 years from now as a basis for what a team can get for a player right now. No team is going to come to the Jets and offer a 4th and 7th and say let's make a deal.

You have to look at the trade from the prospective of the teams that would want Revis. They believe he is an elite player. Elway reportedly has said Revis is the "missing piece." Such teams want Revis now. With a trade there is a guarantee that they get the player they're targeting AND get exclusive negotiating rights with him while the teams work out trade parameters.

A team like the Broncos will never get an exclusive window to sign Revis if he hits the open market. They'll have to compete with everyone else. Then, at the end of the day they may lose out on an elite player.

As I said elsewhere (and it probably got merged here), if the Jets do deal Revis, I think it will be in the range of a 2013 1st, 2013 3rd, and a conditional 2014 2nd.
    Last edited by SMC; 01-29-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    A team like the Broncos will never get an exclusive window to sign Revis if he hits the open market. They'll have to compete with everyone else. Then, at the end of the day they may lose out on an elite player.
    I agree with you, read my previous post.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    And, there is no way Revis gets traded without a new deal. HE will want a new deal before he goes anywhere.

Hitting FA isn't that important to him. Getting paid is.