Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: So, Mark Sanchez and a slew of Burn outs have cost us Revis?(merged REVIS x 100)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    Please explain revis' no trade clause.
    Obviously, you do not understand the situation.

Lets say some team out there offers the Jets two 1st's, a 2nd and a 3rd for Revis.

Revis says to said team, "that's not enough money for me, I'm not signing that long-term contract".

Do you seriously think that team would give up all those drafts picks to have Revis for only a one-year rental when he can become a FA at the end of the season?

The Jets have absolutely no say whatsoever where Revis goes.

Revis controls the entire situation by holding all the cards.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    No team is giving up top picks unless Revis signs with them long term. If a trade is reached at some point before its completed Revis will have to put his name on the dotted line. Therefore Revis controls where he goes.

Let's say we want to trade him to Cleveland. But Revis lets Cleveland know that he will never sign long term. Cleveland will not make the trade.

Revis completely controls where we trade him if we want top picks in return.
    Somebody gets it.

Well stated Locke.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Outside of the fact that the 49ers are not one piece away since they are I the sb, drafted a db in the first round last year who is developing behind a solid group of dbs, and the player on our side just began running after knee surgery - why would they put themselves in cap hell with revis's contract demands when they have a bunch of young thoroughbreds that are coming due soon? 4 players needed to restructure to resign bowman. Inevitably, some are going to leave so they will need those picks.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

Lets say some team out there offers the Jets two 1st's, a 2nd and a 3rd for Revis.

Revis says to said team, "that's not enough money for me, I'm not signing that long-term contract".

Do you seriously think that team would give up all those drafts picks to have Revis for only a one-year rental when he can become a FA at the end of the season?

Revis controls the entire situation by holding all the cards.
    I've said the exact same thing in several threads over the past few weeks. I even used Cleveland as my example. Get your own material there Slick.

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    What no one seems to realize here is the ONLY one with ANY leverage on what to do with Revis , is Revis himself! It doesn't matter one iota what the Jets want to do. Once they threw away their right to franchise him, they put the decision entirely in his court.

Scenario: Cleveland offers their next 5 first round picks plus any 3 players of your choosing. Revis decides it will be a cold day in hell when he plays in Cleveland. What are the chances of Cleveland signing him to a long term deal ( a sure necessity to facilitate ANY trade) to make it happen? Nada, ZIP, Nuthin'. So no trade.

If Revis is hell bent on getting to Free Agency then Revis is 100% certain to be a UFA in 2014.
    Last edited by GuidoYaztremski; 01-29-2013 at 08:25 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Anybody willing to trade for Revis will do it with the understanding that they would have to attempt to sign him as part of the deal. And they would also know how much money it will take to get done. Nobody is going to give up picks and possibly players if they don't already know what it will take to get an extension done. Revis will sign a contract if the trading team hits the number he wants. He would be risking a lot to turn down upwards of $90 million and $40-$50 million guaranteed just to get to FA where he wouldn't get more then that even with 10 teams bidding on him. No matter what there is a lot of risk for Revis to go into the regular season without a deal done. If he hurts that knee again his value will diminish by 30-40% annually plus his contract length would be cut in half. He will be more then willing to go wherever a team will pay him what he wants.
    Why are you assuming the new team will pay for him full market value and still give up premium picks? Revis gets everything he wants a year early, the jets get premium value for a cb coming of an injury that will be a FA after the season, what value does the new team get for trading for him with a contract that will pay him 15 mill when he is 34 YO. If a team can sign him 5 years 62 mill with a 35 guaranteed, the jets will get premium picks. But your laying out a scenario where Revis gets everything he wants a year early and the new team gets nothing and assumes that the knee will be fine. This type of signing is a potential career breaker and could get the new gm fired.

I know your a jet fan and it is exciting building a new team, but you have to look at the trade from the other vantage point.
    Last edited by patman; 01-29-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Interesting thing is if it's done as a redo of his deal a 13.5M/year deal gets him 7.5M extra cash this year. On a 5 year deal, that's 1.5M per year - meaning that signing a deal at 5 years, 67.5M is the equivalent, in new money, to 4 years 61.5M (or 15.4M per).

In other words, this can be a win-win. Jets get Revis at a little above the 12-13M number they probably would be comfortable with (but little enough above it not to hurt), and Revis gets to claim he broke the system and is being paid as a top defender and not just a CB.
    This is the best we can hope for.

When you bring in a guy known mostly for his ability to work within the cap, you'd like to think he's capable of figuring out a way to pay your best players. Yes even if they are unreasonable, greedy, or whatever else you want to accuse Revis of. The Jets need our elite CB and elite GM to get together and come up with an elite deal that works for everyone.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    As far as OL go, Warmack is as close to a lock as you can get.

I've said it before, he doesn't just have pro-bowl upside, he has John Hannah/Mike Munchak "holy sh*t this guy is the most dominant interior OL of his era" upside.
    And in 5 years time when he wants to get (over)paid for his services because he is the best in the game at his position, we run away scared and trade him for whatever we can get.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    Please explain revis' no trade clause.
    he tells the new team he will not sign a long term extension. = veto, what team is going to trade for a guy coming off a ACL injury for a one year deal where the best case scenario is they get a third two years later, if they don't sign any body else the next year.

All team's fanbase's do it. The patriots board was alive with getting a 1st rd pick for Cassel a few years ago. Remember Al Davis is dead.
    Last edited by patman; 01-29-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've said the exact same thing in several threads over the past few weeks. I even used Cleveland as my example. Get your own material there Slick.
    Like they said on the NFL Network last night.

The most likely scenario that plays out is the Jets will be unable to extend Revis to a long-term contract, unable to find a trading partner that Revis would accept, he plays out the 2013 season as a Jet and then walks away as a UFA at the end of the season.

If that plays out, the Jets would get absolutely nothing for the best CB in football.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fantasy football again ...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like they said on the NFL Network last night.

The most likely scenario that plays out is the Jets will be unable to extend Revis to a long-term contract, unable to find a trading partner that Revis would accept, he plays out the 2013 season as a Jet and then walks away as a UFA at the end of the season.

If that plays out, the Jets would get absolutely nothing for the best CB in football.
    We would get a compensatory pick. Probably a third rounder.

Which is why I think they would trade him for a second rounder if they had to.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MERGE THE REVIS THREADS

THANKS

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    And in 5 years time when he wants to get (over)paid for his services because he is the best in the game at his position, we run away scared and trade him for whatever we can get.
    But you get 5 years of premium value for the price of Revis for one year. The other 70 mill of cap room gets spent on multiple players at positions of need.

The trade is Revis for whatever pick and 12-13 mill of extra cap room for the next 5 years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    We would get a compensatory pick. Probably a third rounder.

Which is why I think they would trade him for a second rounder if they had to.
    No, most likely you will not get a comp pick or if you do it will be a late pick. The jets will have 50 mill in cap room the year revis opts out. Comp picks are awarded based on value lost vs value gained. The jets are going to sign much more value that what they lose.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    THANK YOU FOR THE REVIS MERGE.

Please Ban anyone who makes a new Revis thread.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Revis controls the entire situation by holding all the cards
    That's not true - the Jets can most certainly trade Revis to a team as a one year rental. A team could take Revis on and hope that they have a chance to sign him based on building a rapport with him.

Of course, the Jets won't get an oil package that they otherwise would if he agrees to a long term deal, but they can most certainly trade him. Might get a 2nd in return.

The Jets may be in the position of deciding whether to take what they can get now or let him play out the year and get nothing. Or, go with the 3rd option and see what they can sign him for. The last option is definitely a possibility - the Jets cap situation is crap in 2013, but opens up afterwards. The bulk of the money doesn't have to hit until 2014 and beyond.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    No, most likely you will not get a comp pick or if you do it will be a late pick. The jets will have 50 mill in cap room the year revis opts out. Comp picks are awarded based on value lost vs value gained. The jets are going to sign much more value that what they lose.
    Has anyone ever seen the crazy formula these use to determine comp picks?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    That's not true - the Jets can most certainly trade Revis to a team as a one year rental. A team could take Revis on and hope that they have a chance to sign him based on building a rapport with him.
    Of course, the Jets won't get an oil package that they otherwise would if he agrees to a long term deal, but they can most certainly trade him. Might get a 2nd in return.

The Jets may be in the position of deciding whether to take what they can get now or let him play out the year and get nothing. Or, go with the 3rd option and see what they can sign him for. The last option is definitely a possibility - the Jets cap situation is crap in 2013, but opens up afterwards. The bulk of the money doesn't have to hit until 2014 and beyond.
    I agree that's possible crash, but what team out there would trade a slew of picks hoping that down the road they could sign Revis to a long-term deal.

I think any team that would be giving up multile draft picks would want a guarantee that Revis would agree to a long-term contract before they pull the trigger on the trade.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post

Not to mention that Revis is in it for the money above all else.

He'll agree to a trade to the Saskatchewan Roughriders if they pay him upwards of $15 M/year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, but nobody gives a f*ck what you say.